PDA

View Full Version : Did a little tune-up, car runs better than ever.

hahnmgh63
June 14th, 2010, 01:30
I'll explain the items in steps. I felt like the car had a misfire (hoped it wasn't the ECU cutting boost/timing and due to overboost or tranny TQ limiting). I finally had a VAG fault of #6 & #8 cylinder misfires, I cleared the codes and they never came back but I was still feeling something wrong under strong acceleration.
1. Plugs- Installed ND IK20's about 10~15K ago but replaced them with new OEM NGK's. The NGK's were all at the proper gap out of the box. The ND's were all too wide of gap (may have been my problem).
2. Coilpacks- Installed all new Hitachi coil packs. Seems like Audi uses both Hitachi or BERU but there are at least 4 brands out there. The Hitachi cost a little more than the BERU but the tt 225bhp guys say there better. Many of you may not know that many VAG cars have had lots of problems with coilpacks. VAG is currently on its second recall/replacement of coilpacks on cars going back to the beginning of the decade. Many feel that they should be replaced ever 40~70K depending on who you talk to. I had a problem similar to the RS6 on my tt (I have a REVO chipped 225bhp tt) where it would only miss under hard acceleration. I have read, and have now had the experience, where Turbo cars with a weak ignition (plug, and plug gap sensitive, coil or coil pack) will miss under high boost, especially on chipped cars with higher boost.
3. New MAF's & air filters- No faults but preventive Mx as I had a new set in the closet and since I had the air cleaner assembly off. Anyone need a couple of old MAF's?
4. This was only the 2nd time I've had the aircleaner assembly off and I had replaced a few of the vacuum lines with silicone so I did the rest of the small vacuum lines (cloth covered). They looked ragged.
Took the car out for a 200mile drive today and she pulled better than I can ever remember. I'll have to do a VAGCOM acceleration run. I also did all 4 plugs & coil packs on the tt at the same time. The tt ('01 roadster 225bhp) uses the same coil pack but one heat range hotter plug. Funny thing is that the tt currently has a recall on it's coilpacks but not the RS6? Damn Audi at it again. Not enough RS6's out there to hilight a problem and they probably don't get the miles on them that the tt's do.

yokust
June 14th, 2010, 01:55
Only the "push-down" coil packs are recalled.

NO "bolt-down" coil packs are affected by the recall.

So only 180hp TT's get the recall, and 225hp TT's dont get anything

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 03:51
Hey Hahnmgh63, did you notice that the new coil packs do not include the sealing o-ring that seals the base of the coil to the valve cover? I didn't, until I had finished installing the last coil, then had to remove the other 7 and transfer the o-rings.

JSRS6
September 29th, 2010, 04:12
Hey Hahnmgh63, did you notice that the new coil packs do not include the sealing o-ring that seals the base of the coil to the valve cover? I didn't, until I had finished installing the last coil, then had to remove the other 7 and transfer the o-rings.

Hmmm, I just replaced my plugs and coil packs and I noticed the same thing. I also replaced a couple of coil packs and all the plugs on my s4 before I sold it. Same deal. Didn't notice then, learned me good for the rs6. I am a little OCD though, so I did each side separately, placing the old seals in the same order on the concrete, spraying them with brake cleaner, cleaning them, checking for breaks, cleaning the sealing area on the cylinder head cover, and finally reinstalling them in order back to front. Just a little OCD. Nothing to worry about.

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 04:19
Hmmm, I just replaced my plugs and coil packs and I noticed the same thing. I also replaced a couple of coil packs and all the plugs on my s4 before I sold it. Same deal. Didn't notice then, learned me good for the rs6. I am a little OCD though, so I did each side separately, placing the old seals in the same order on the concrete, spraying them with brake cleaner, cleaning them, checking for breaks, cleaning the sealing area on the cylinder head cover, and finally reinstalling them in order back to front. Just a little OCD. Nothing to worry about.
I certainly hope you clapped your hands 7 times in between plugs, otherwise the job was wasted!

JSRS6
September 29th, 2010, 04:42
Close, Pat. According to the "manual", you clap 3 times, turn clockwise twice, and open and close the driver door once. Then you can move on to the next cylinder. I kill me.

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 04:47
Close, Pat. According to the "manual", you clap 3 times, turn clockwise twice, and open and close the driver door once. Then you can move on to the next cylinder. I kill me.
Haha, speaking of OCD, someone sent me this video because I have an old El Camino SS. Too funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Tnf6_IX5M&feature=related

DHall1
September 29th, 2010, 04:52
You guys need back on your meds asap.

Pat-post up your parts set out on the workbench before the install tonight. Pat completed a similar tune up tonight. All the new parts were stacked and lined up perfectly on the work bench.

Doh....I gotta go geet my jacket on.

Haha, speaking of OCD, someone sent me this video because I have an old El Camino SS. Too funny.

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 05:01
You guys need back on your meds asap.

Pat-post up your parts set out on the workbench before the install tonight. Pat completed a similar tune up tonight. All the new parts were stacked and lined up perfectly on the work bench.

Doh....I gotta go geet my jacket on.
What?http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/IMG00048-20100928-1702.jpg

JSRS6
September 29th, 2010, 05:03

LOL @ 1:14 "you'd think nobody'd drive those anymore, but they're everywhere!"
J/K Pat, yours is purdy ;-)

JSRS6
September 29th, 2010, 05:05
What?http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/IMG00048-20100928-1702.jpg

Looks eerily familiar. Only mine were in my closet on the shelf like that...

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 05:14
I didn't realize until now, what's with the Viper tune(soon) in your signature. Have you spoken with Rich?

JSRS6
September 29th, 2010, 05:24
I didn't realize until now, what's with the Viper tune(soon) in your signature. Have you spoken with Rich?

Haha. Was wondering when someone would ask. No, I haven't yet. I'm waiting on two things, in order of precedence:
1) Funding for extra stuff for the beast. Got a lot on my plate right now(starting a family, new place, new stuff in the place, etc...)
2) The proverbial "dust" to settle. We are all on pins and needles here(and one who is "out there", lol) to see the numbers this tune puts down. And some more vids are always appreciated. :-)
P.S. My beast is on a budget too ;-)

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 05:28
Haha. Was wondering when someone would ask. No, I haven't yet. I'm waiting on two things, in order of precedence:
1) Funding for extra stuff for the beast. Got a lot on my plate right now(starting a family, new place, new stuff in the place, etc...)
2) The proverbial "dust" to settle. We are all on pins and needles here(and one who is "out there", lol) to see the numbers this tune puts down. And some more vids are always appreciated. :-)
P.S. My beast is on a budget too ;-)
My car's going on the Dyno this Saturday, thus the tune up to make sure it's in a good state of tune. It'll be run on the same Dyno as my Eurocharged runs, and again, Kyle is bringing his RS6 for comparison. I'm just as excited as everyone else to see what kind of numbers this thing puts down!

DHall1
September 29th, 2010, 05:30
I want to book a flight to certify the results.

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 05:45
I want to book a flight to certify the results.
Better hurry up!

hahnmgh63
September 29th, 2010, 05:51
As far as the coilpack seals go, I ordered 12, 4 for the tt, all the same coilpacks. I noticed that the seals weren't there after doing 3 on the tt so in my case I only had to remove those 3 as I did the tt the day before I did the RS6. Is that also new MAF's sitting on the bench in the two closest boxes? I replaced a few more vacuum seals under the air cleaner housing with silicone ones while I had the cleaner housing off.
Now, I couldn't wait for my tranny to go so I bought a low mile 20K used one from the guy in Cali doing the MT6 conversion. I'm just trying to decide what to do with it as far as maybe sending it to Tozo and getting a rebuild? Tozo says that he really can't improve on the factory tranny, just rebuild it. Not sure if the new factory TC can be improved on or not? Everyone claims they can improve on both? TC I can believe, but if Tozo says the factory tranny can't be improve then I'm kind of inclined to believe him at this point?

V8weight
September 29th, 2010, 05:53
As far as the coilpack seals go, I ordered 12, 4 for the tt, all the same coilpacks. I noticed that the seals weren't there after doing 3 on the tt so in my case I only had to remove those 3 as I did the tt the day before I did the RS6. Is that also new MAF's sitting on the bench in the two closest boxes? I replaced a few more vacuum seals under the air cleaner housing with silicone ones while I had the cleaner housing off.
Yeah, I did plugs, coil packs, a fuel pressure regulator, MAF's, MAF seals, and air filters. I've already done the silicone vacuum lines and N75 and diverters, so I should be set for awhile.

DHall1
September 29th, 2010, 06:18
I think the valve body can be improved. May be an option to consider. Upgrade the TC and valve body.

Now, I couldn't wait for my tranny to go so I bought a low mile 20K used one from the guy in Cali doing the MT6 conversion. I'm just trying to decide what to do with it as far as maybe sending it to Tozo and getting a rebuild? Tozo says that he really can't improve on the factory tranny, just rebuild it. Not sure if the new factory TC can be improved on or not? Everyone claims they can improve on both? TC I can believe, but if Tozo says the factory tranny can't be improve then I'm kind of inclined to believe him at this point?