PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light

dreadlocks
June 10th, 2010, 21:14
I am trying like hell to get rid of the following codes, there causing my ABS & ESP lights to be constantly on. It also seems to prevent me from using cruise control and reading the vehicle speed through the OBDII port.. (speedo works)

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 4B0-614-517.lbl
Part No: 4B0 614 517 AD
Component: ESP 5.7 RS 6 2310
Coding: 06697
Shop #: WSC 00000

2 Faults Found:
00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
57-00 - Electric Circuit Failure

I was going to swap left/right ABS speed sensors to see if code followed, but upon inspection the Drivers side (left right?) sensor seems brand new.. the wire was hardly dirty, esp when compared to pass side. I think the previous owner might have already tried this.. So before I start riping stuff out of the rain tray to find the harness plug I figured I'd ask first... given the nature of these 2 codes is it a module that both of these rely on that is bad? Any ideas which one and where?

Is the brake press sensor attached to the pedal? if not where is it? I am thinking replacing that and seeing if its causing the ABS issue.

Cheers,
-R

V8weight
June 10th, 2010, 21:16
Replace the brake light switch, I'm 99.1% positive that's your problem.

4everRS
June 10th, 2010, 21:23
.1% haha - always giving yourself an out! ;)

dreadlocks
June 10th, 2010, 21:29
just called the dealership to price the brake light switch, he said $8 but asked what the code was... he said the G201 unit has a pressure sensor plugged into it... and thats a $200 part, doh.

Any idea where the ABS control module is so I can hopefully find a unplugged sensor on it? heh, wishfull thinking I know.

dreadlocks
June 10th, 2010, 21:33
V8weight, still going to try the brake light switch.. good advice, hope it fixes it as its the cheapest option.

Ross-Tech Wiki:
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201): Electrical Fault in Circuit
Possible Causes
Brake Pedal Switch (F) faulty/jammed
Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) faulty

I guess when I go in to get the brake light switch I can have them show me where the pressure sensor is located.

dreadlocks
June 10th, 2010, 23:32
Replace the brake light switch, I'm 99.1% positive that's your problem.

.9% Fail, heh.. replaced the brake light switch, codes come back instantly.. I am thinking ABS Module? Seen many failures of those?

V8weight
June 10th, 2010, 23:40
.9% Fail, heh.. replaced the brake light switch, codes come back instantly.. I am thinking ABS Module? Seen many failures of those?
Never on an RS6.

dreadlocks
June 10th, 2010, 23:44
So I called the place I bought it from and asked them where they took it when they diagnosed the ABS light.
Then I called that dealership and asked for the specific results of the diagnosis, they said faulty ABS Module... sigh, quoted them $1700 to replace.. omg hope I can DIY for much much less..

V8weight
June 10th, 2010, 23:50
So I called the place I bought it from and asked them where they took it when they diagnosed the ABS light.
Then I called that dealership and asked for the specific results of the diagnosis, they said faulty ABS Module... sigh, quoted them $1700 to replace.. omg hope I can DIY for much much less..
Sorry to hear that, but at least you have a resolution. Luckily it's right out in the open, unlike everything else in this car. An you already have a vag, so you can cycle the pump and bleed it after the install.

dreadlocks
June 11th, 2010, 00:00
good news is I found out who makes my radar detector, figured it out when I replaced brake switch.

MaxRS6
June 12th, 2010, 12:22
Never on an RS6.

I had my ABS module replaced June/09 due to ABS light staying lit.- Warranty covered parts listed as approx $1600. ABS part number on invoice is 4B0-614-517-AC if you want to check around for cost. On genuine audi parts listed at $1,442.

http://www.genuineaudiparts.com/

V8weight
June 12th, 2010, 15:41
Wow, it would appear that I've stuck both feet in my mouth in this thread. Randy, is there anything you haven't had replaced yet?

hahnmgh63
June 12th, 2010, 18:33
dreadlocks, if you haven't found the ABS pump yet is is on the drivers side. Pop the hood open and look just to the inside of the windshield washer resevoir. There is a pressure switch towards the rear inside on the pump that you can easily see. Hope this is the problem.

nistah
November 16th, 2011, 20:14
I am having this same issue now ABS and ESP stay lit, was there a resolution to this issue/thread ?

speedtrapped
November 16th, 2011, 21:30
u checked your hub sensors?? they are magnetic and collect rust particles....clean them. If its an abs module, i have a used on I can sell you cheaper then new for sure.