PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Brake Recall

sallyh
June 9th, 2010, 14:15
Hi all

anyone heard anything about this - ceramic brake recall, something about the bolts, on the V10 RS6? Any information gratefully received!

Qisha
June 9th, 2010, 14:39
Dear sallyh,

yes- the bolts are going to be replaced by Titanium versions.

Qisha

Trebor
June 9th, 2010, 14:48
Not heard anything at my end so far

Fab
June 9th, 2010, 15:08
Qisha one more question for my info please : Are the ceramic brakes identical for all the current RS models (RS6, TT, RS5) or is there some little specific differences. Is there any evolution on the RS5 ceramics ?

Are the Audi ceramic brakes reliable and really efficient (no fading, good pedal feel, better stopping power). I am very interested as if I go for a new RS it will be with ceramic this time.

Thanks a lot

KK265
June 9th, 2010, 15:43
Dear sallyh,

yes- the bolts are going to be replaced by Titanium versions.

Qisha
I am in the recall list but no parts from Germany yet.Just waiting.....

sallyh
June 10th, 2010, 11:55
Hi Qisha

Thank you very much for this. I rang the dealer (who is pretty good) to ask about it, but he has not heard about it yet. He mentionned that just because something happens somewhere else in the world, doesn't mean it will happen in Australia. Thanks also KK265 (in Greece) for the mention that you are on the recall list.

Anyway, I'm off to Phillip Island racetrack for a track day in a couple of weeks so I hope that this is not a safety issue. The brakes are great so it would be great to know why the switch to titanium.

best wishes and many thanks

QuattroGermany
June 11th, 2010, 16:38
Hi Sallyh,

I have the solution for you. We are Audi dealer in Germany and we sell a ceramic brake kit for RS6 V10 from Quattro GmbH.

4 ceramic ventilated discs and drilled, 4 calipers with logo Audi Ceramic and 2 set of pads.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
! Minimum of 20 inches! Advised Price 17 845,00 € incl. German VAT <o:p></o:p>
olivier.amann@auto-roth.de (olivier.amann@auto-roth.de) or 0049 78 41 60 00 22<o:p></o:p>

Dont hesitate if you have any questions

Trebor
June 21st, 2010, 14:07
Just had notice for my recall, but am confused

Dealer stated the car would be inspected & if needed the parts would be changed

Is not a recall based on factory build specs as opposed to inspection :vhmmm:

Not got a good deal of confidence with my dealer

Qisha any insight would be very welcome tks

sallyh
June 27th, 2010, 00:10
Hi all

Does the new RS5 ceramic brake option have titanium bolts? Is Audi a bit new to ceramic brakes and they are evolving as time goes by? My V10 RS6 was an early 2009 build date, but I guess that is some time ago now. Is the "recall" a safety issue or just a bit of fine tuning to keep older ceramic brakes up to the latest technology? Certainly titanium is lighter than steel so it is a bit surprising that Audi didn't do it in the first place given part of the reason for getting the brakes is weight saving.

sallyh
July 26th, 2010, 12:13
Hi all

Just to complete the question, the dealer replaced the bolts with the titanium ones. There are a lot of bolts and it took some time, and apparently costs quite a lot. Thanks to this forum this has happened as I rang Audi Australia who said that yes, it was a "campaign" - nothing to do with safety, just "optimisation", rang the dealer, hadn't heard about it, I said, can you check, yes, it exists, bring the car in, bolts need replacing with titanium ones due to shaking when braking that some have experienced (like, me), also, we will check the rotors for cracks. Thankfully no cracks on my rotors.

Anyway, I'll put in a good word for the V10, it is truly amazing. Took it to a club hillclimb and was astounded by the brakes' stopping and the turbos going. And the drive to and from was very pleasant too despite Australia's draconian speed laws.