PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying a gently used rs6....

bakes
June 6th, 2010, 04:27
Hi all,

I am negotiating with a seller for an RS6. The only point that has been raised is that at the last oil change the dealership noted the front rotors were at 32.3mm when spec is 32.4mm. So they were off and most likely will need a change.

This may be a difficult quesion to ask but how dangerous is it to run the car with that thickness of rotor? He indicated that the brake light would come on when the pads need replacing but is that the best way to know.

If I should get new rotors, where is the best place to pick some up? How much to front rotors cost?

I've tried a few searches but nothing definitive has come up.

The car has 43k miles on it...when is the next service interval and what must be done at it?

Appreciate your advice!

Greg

4everRS
June 6th, 2010, 05:04
Thickness of rotors hasn't been discussed a lot, but all else has been covered.

My rotors are under minimum now. Car stops fine. Like ANY car, you will feel a vibration as the rotors are in absolute NEED of replacing. I will need new rotors within the next year. Plan on spending about $600 for the fronts. Rears likely don't need to be changed.

Service schedule is towards the top of the thread listing
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20286-RS6-service-schedule-with-part-numbers

ben916
June 6th, 2010, 05:34
Um, I thought the minimum was 32mm and new at 34mm.... confirm????

I am going with NEW rotors versus attempting to resurface and Genuinevwaudipart.com has the fronts for ........$280/each plus shipping (best price for OEM).
Search for the part numbers...

Mine grind/squeek/stick for a second while turning left from a start/have a lip on the outer edge/puke brake dust daily...

IMO, the order of importance on anyone "looking":
0. Accidents?
1. DRC - original? recalled? removed?
2. Timing belt replaced at 35k/70k
3. Trans issues
4. Serviced routinely?
5. Driving it versus sight-unseen...

Anyone else chiming in?

DHall1
June 6th, 2010, 06:13
We have not talked much about thickness in the past. Given your situation, if the brake pedal does not vibrate at hwy speeds then I would just replace the pads with EBC reds. You will get a few thousand more miles but rotors are in your very near future. 600 cost for discounted parts.

Do a search for OEM brake pads and EBC red brake pads.

Is it dangerous? No

The brake warning light has nothing to do with the rotors. If you ever see that stinking light...you waited too long and start digging in your wallet.

Again do that search noted above.

Ben covered where to get the rotors so at 43k was the timing belt done at 35k?

Timing belt is 1000 times more important than the brakes at this point. please verify.

Hi all,

I am negotiating with a seller for an RS6. The only point that has been raised is that at the last oil change the dealership noted the front rotors were at 32.3mm when spec is 32.4mm. So they were off and most likely will need a change.

This may be a difficult quesion to ask but how dangerous is it to run the car with that thickness of rotor? He indicated that the brake light would come on when the pads need replacing but is that the best way to know.

If I should get new rotors, where is the best place to pick some up? How much to front rotors cost?

I've tried a few searches but nothing definitive has come up.

The car has 43k miles on it...when is the next service interval and what must be done at it?

Appreciate your advice!

Greg

bakes
June 6th, 2010, 14:04
Yes, I've validated that the car has not been in any accidents, has had the timing belt done at 35k and the DRC recall has been done. The car looks great, just want to make sure there are no hidden costs lurking

We have not talked much about thickness in the past. Given your situation, if the brake pedal does not vibrate at hwy speeds then I would just replace the pads with EBC reds. You will get a few thousand more miles but rotors are in your very near future. 600 cost for discounted parts.

Do a search for OEM brake pads and EBC red brake pads.

Is it dangerous? No

The brake warning light has nothing to do with the rotors. If you ever see that stinking light...you waited too long and start digging in your wallet.

Again do that search noted above.

Ben covered where to get the rotors so at 43k was the timing belt done at 35k?

Timing belt is 1000 times more important than the brakes at this point. please verify.

DHall1
June 6th, 2010, 16:11
There are always hidden costs lurking in the RS6.

Has the torque converter been replaced yet? If not, have the codes checked for the TC failure code.

Plan on buying an extended warranty or stick 10,000 in the bank for future hidden costs.

Yes, I've validated that the car has not been in any accidents, has had the timing belt done at 35k and the DRC recall has been done. The car looks great, just want to make sure there are no hidden costs lurking

JRS-RS6
June 6th, 2010, 16:33
There are always hidden costs lurking in the RS6.

Has the torque converter been replaced yet? If not, have the codes checked for the TC failure code.

Plan on buying an extended warranty or stick 10,000 in the bank for future hidden costs.

I have to agree with Dave. My crystal ball is broken which is why I got the warranty. There are also the "other" things you may end up wanting to do. Oh and make sure not to make a claim for at least 30 days no matter what. Seriously get the pre inspection, dot the i's and cross the t's and if anything comes up in the first thirty days wait it out and submit after that.

bakes
June 7th, 2010, 02:06
Thanks for the heads up guys! Yes, a fully comprehensive warranty was a no brainer after reading a lot of threads on here. Hopefully I'll be posting again soon with pics of the ride.

Thanks,
Greg