PDA

View Full Version : Future RS Cars: Opinions

Qisha
June 1st, 2010, 17:45
Dear Friends,

reading through the latest threads, posts etc. i get the feeling, that a mayor part of the members are not pleased with Audi´s RS car product range. Therefore i would like to ask for personal opinions, likes, dislikes, wishes and thoughts about what you would Audi like to offer-, where Audi should improve, move on etc.

Qisha

Lmg
June 1st, 2010, 18:20
A bit less weight would be nice.

I think that's the only less positive aspect of the latest RS cars in general.

The RS6
June 1st, 2010, 19:36
What I'd like to see more from Audi is special, limited edition models, like there was A4 B7 DTM Edition or R8 GT. I'd like to see more of those because I believe they make their owners feel they've got something special.

Less weight is always a good thing...

Benman
June 1st, 2010, 20:00
A bit less weight would be nice.
^^That^^ and I would add: KEEP THEM TURBO'D!!! Not supercharged, not NA, TURBO'D!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

And damn it, make AoA bring over some avants!

Ben :addict:

ben916
June 1st, 2010, 20:14
^^That^^ and I would add: KEEP THEM TURBO'D!!! Not supercharged, not NA, TURBO'D!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

And damn it, make AoA bring over some avants!

^^What he said ^^

As there aren't ANY RS options in the USA anymore...
Give the people what they want!

Also the techs need to be trained better, seems like there are a few that know what is going on but that is few and far between.

Fab
June 1st, 2010, 20:48
Today more than ever Audi has budget and green light to develop new cars, new models, RS for each model range.

Sales are the best ever, even better than Mercedes over past quarter. New models are looking great and Audis are now at the same level than BMW and Mercedes on most of people ranking. Best interior by far, good technology, etc.

Nothing to say really...... excepted that so far the RS5 seems a bit too shy. Let's be clear : new quattro system, DSG, active steering, etc are great news but such an expected car cannot get it wrong even on small "details" : too comon steering, too discrete look, 20" rims are too big, too long gear ratios, too small shift paddles, lack of real achievable performance ?

Let's not take journalists' reviews for the bible of course but the overall current sum up of them is pretty disapointing IMO. Too much expectation maybe ? I don't know. What I know is that remembering the past RS launches everyone was much more enthusiastic, but this time (same for the TT RS to a certain extend) this is not the case anymore. Too high expectations due to Audi new aura and status ? Maybe...

The car should/could have been lighter, more agressive look, with better perfs and more achievable.

I think that many of us would be sold for an RS5 plus version.

I am still looking forward to test it as everyone judgment is what counts at the end of the day. I still have some hope. But for such amount of money I don't want to be even 20% disapointed with the package offered.

BaXRS4
June 1st, 2010, 22:10
We need next RS4 nasty as RS4 B5... That is my wish...

AndyBG
June 1st, 2010, 22:32
In the past, Audis were behind BMW's and Merc's, but RS Audis were something that made everybody confused, they were special, better than oponents, nowdays is other way around.

B7 RS 4 was last of that kind...!

C6 RS 6 on paper is best car in the world, (5.0l, V10 biturbo!!!), yet there is big feeling that its failed to deliver that punch!

Look at the RS 5, look at the TT RS... I just don't see that superiority in them!

SAFE4NOW
June 2nd, 2010, 03:32
Dear Friends,

reading through the latest threads, posts etc. i get the feeling, that a mayor part of the members are not pleased with Audi´s RS car product range. Therefore i would like to ask for personal opinions, likes, dislikes, wishes and thoughts about what you would Audi like to offer-, where Audi should improve, move on etc.

Qisha

When I started working with Audi, at an Audi Dealership many years ago, the only thing I knew about Audi was that they had a sudden accel problem. Then as I started my training and working with the product first hand, I realized that there was much more to it than just a bad rumor. I started walking the lot at lunch, looking over all the product being offered, thinking to myself, which one would I own. After a quick lunch time test drive in a CPO'd A6 4.2, I was hooked. BIG flared fenders, nice V8 power, interior was top notch over it's closest rivals ( BMW/MB/Lexus )

The next thing I noticed was Audi as a company, how proactive they were, not just for clients but employees all the way down to the dealership level. I mean, radio's were warrantied because Audi chose to design the cupholder over the radio itself... they sent out a recall covering front bumpers, even for those drivers who just didn't get it ( to not park over the curb rather before it ) , when an upcoming recall was being launched, employees of the dealerships were given $50, $100 , $+ gift cards as a " Thank you " even before they had earned it!

By the way, I have worked for Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and other Dealerships in the Service departments for over 20 years, I have trained to be the very best I could be as a product advocate at each level, in less than three years working with Audi, I was Magna certified 2 of those three years ( the first three years that is ) I have owned more Audi's than I have owned of any other vehicle, I own and operate my own local Audi only website, and to this day, talk up how awsome my Rs6 is over most all other products in it's class and better. Heck, I even put on events ( Sunday Morning Drives, DE Track Days, 1/8th, 1/4 and even standing Mile ) just to prove how impressive the Rs6 is! I am looking for my first R8 very soon and trying to position myself for an new body Rs6 as well. I am an Audi Advocate!

But the things the guys on this forum are pointing out are all valid, some are hyped more than needed, but true all the same. I have experienced most all of the things that any normal Rs6 owner has , including DRC failure in the first week of ownership, intercooler failure, brake rotors on an almost monthly basis, and now the second transmission in less than 80k miles.... but I still love the car...

Anyways... back on track, what I would like to see from Audi and their upcoming RS product lineup:

1. POWER - HP and TQ that not just tops what the others are offering but pounds them in the ground. Think what MB did with the C63 and their advertisment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eOLq07VwSE

2. Fit and Finish: Pay attention to the details, the material used needs to differ from the main line vehicles. The wheels need to be different than any other Audi, the fenders need to scream pay attention to me, the hood, the stance, the exhaust... all need to say " I am different "

3. Colors - Offer RS only colors , like Porsche does with their Halo car's

4. Price them right, while we are asking for the world, keep them in reach of some of us, who work hard for our money, but are still normal " Joe's " not mega-rich types that buy a car to brag, then park it in the garage

... I could type a list to 10, but I think these are my 4 top points... maybe I will come back an add to the list... but I think you get my point.

Thank you for taking the time to ask.... please feel free to contact me anytime.

Ritchy
June 2nd, 2010, 12:55
Thanks Qisha ! That's exactly what i appreciate. Not telling everyone its product is the best, but ask what custumers really expect or think about.

TT-RS: well...i do really appreciate. Good engine with high performance.....maybe could be added something less common than a TTS (big arches - specific interior) but elegant (the rear big spoiler is quite surprising from Audi)

RS6: why taking such an old transmission on a fantastic engine ?

RS5: I really appreciate the exterior (the main reason i ordered one). But something more could have been done (arches maybe...), especially in the interior (who took the decision for the poor looking wheelsteering?) I took the standart sport seats, what's the difference with a S5 ? I would have appreciate something less common.
But the big problem is the engine. It's very sporty, suitable for cars such as DTM. But the car is too heavy, and for everyday driving, we need torque before 4000RPM. Most owners don't put their car on a track. Do you think RS4 owners appreciate that a brand new model only offers 30HP more, with the same torque ? At a price of more than 100.000 euros with the good extras (and some are available only few months later...), in a similar weight car....ok for the transmission, the new quattro, and so so on, but in a everyday driving, the pleasure comes from the engine !
TURBO could have been one solution. I want a car that goes faster than all previous ones. Not a noisy sporty engine which goes up to 8500rpm. While a TT-RS overtakes me....in a 30.000 euros cheaper car from the same factory. Soul of a car is the engine. AMG understood that a long time ago, even without turbos.
Audi could have done something wonderful with such an engine in such an pretty looking car which is the A5.

Once again, thanks Qisha asking for our feedback.

S6V10Avant
June 2nd, 2010, 13:10
The RS cars should be unique in its own right, not only a marketing tool for a end-of-life sales boost. Therefore the RS cars should be available almost from the beginning of a new model launch. The potential RS customers (myself included) want a new design and a new concept, not an outgoing model. Engine, T/M and chassis elements should also be forward looking, with respect to technology. Look at the RS5, a relatively old engine in a relatively old chassis. With its current features it should have been launched 2-3 years ago, not 2010. I missed out of the RS6 because it took too long (bought the S6), I have waited for the RS5 one year, but become disappointed with its features. I am now hoping that the RS7 will be launched sooner than anticipated, but will probably end up with a Panamera Turbo during the summer beacause I want to switch out of my S6. I do hope, however, to be back in an Audi soon as an attractive package is out.

Ritchy
June 2nd, 2010, 13:18
I'm not sur the RS5 engine is old....just not appropriate for a new RS supposed to be faster than any other one.

RXBG
June 3rd, 2010, 01:55
I echo was safe4now stated. You can make two kinds of RS cars: the kind that is good for appliance-sportscar shoppers or the kind that is good for the shoppers that actually intend to drive and cherish them. On this board and others like it you will see three basic requirements:

1. unique, unique, unique. flare the arches ( a classic RS cue )- not the pu$$y $h*t arches of the RS5, but the kinds of arches that men gawk at strip clubs and the ones we want to see on the bottom end of the 69 sexual position. the kinds of arches that men drool at on cars and want to hump on women. offer specific RS colors and interior accroutements- alcantara, special steering wheels, even special key fobs, the whole nine yards.

2. power, power, power. give us torque. give us horsepower. and i mean torque and horsepower. it's ok, if not a foregone conclusion, to have the typical audi refinement. go ahead and make the cars quiet. even make the exhaust subdued. but give us AMG and M shredding torque and power. no more pussy footing. make it useless to go stage I or II on the aftermarket. make "stage II" standard!!!! the only aftermarket tuning APR, MTM, and Revo should offer us is stage III: make us have to actually change the turbo or supercharger in order to get any more power from these engines. make the "aftermarket" exhaust and DP's standard!!!

3. VORSPRUNG. go ahead and make it light. do it. but for GOD'S SAKES give us transmission options- DSG or manual. RS's are meant to be DRIVEN not GUIDED.

yeah, yeah. i know all this costs money. leave the marketing and demographic volume sales to the S models. leave the RS's borderline attainable, make them rare, make them BADA$$. "the people" will find a way to buy them.

now go and DO IT AUDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruergard
June 3rd, 2010, 07:06
We need next RS4 nasty as RS4 B5... That is my wish...

I'll second that. RS4 B5 and the RS2... Amazing cars.

Fab
June 3rd, 2010, 07:32
I echo was safe4now stated. You can make two kinds of RS cars: the kind that is good for appliance-sportscar shoppers or the kind that is good for the shoppers that actually intend to drive and cherish them. On this board and others like it you will see three basic requirements:

1. unique, unique, unique. flare the arches ( a classic RS cue )- not the pu$$y $h*t arches of the RS5, but the kinds of arches that men gawk at strip clubs and the ones we want to see on the bottom end of the 69 sexual position. the kinds of arches that men drool at on cars and want to hump on women. offer specific RS colors and interior accroutements- alcantara, special steering wheels, even special key fobs, the whole nine yards.

2. power, power, power. give us torque. give us horsepower. and i mean torque and horsepower. it's ok, if not a foregone conclusion, to have the typical audi refinement. go ahead and make the cars quiet. even make the exhaust subdued. but give us AMG and M shredding torque and power. no more pussy footing. make it useless to go stage I or II on the aftermarket. make "stage II" standard!!!! the only aftermarket tuning APR, MTM, and Revo should offer us is stage III: make us have to actually change the turbo or supercharger in order to get any more power from these engines. make the "aftermarket" exhaust and DP's standard!!!

3. VORSPRUNG. go ahead and make it light. do it. but for GOD'S SAKES give us transmission options- DSG or manual. RS's are meant to be DRIVEN not GUIDED.

yeah, yeah. i know all this costs money. leave the marketing and demographic volume sales to the S models. leave the RS's borderline attainable, make them rare, make them BADA$$. "the people" will find a way to buy them.

now go and DO IT AUDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a nice one !!! :0:

Skaala
June 3rd, 2010, 07:34
my wishes:
*more different looks than the standard models...wheel arches, bumpers, interior etc,
*lower weight
*RS exterior and interior colors
*more power and torque. no more NA engines. (I5,V6,V8 and V10, all turboed or bi-turboed)
*Avant/Sportback only. especially no convertibles...

Erik
June 3rd, 2010, 08:38
TURBOs
DSG
quattro

Beat the competiton.

darkop
June 3rd, 2010, 10:13
what's all this fuss abt the forced induction??!! the only true racing engine was and always will be N/A only! any body can make strong turbo/compressor engine and it will never be as special and emotional as high-rev-low-displacement-engineering-jewel n/a engine!! you don't want me to start about the sound...:music:
keep on good work AUDI (but make RS wheels exclusive only to RS - my only rant..)
:RS5fan::R8:

LittleDevil
June 3rd, 2010, 11:24
RS models needs to be unique, light with alot of power! Anyone should notice the difference between S and RS in visual look and performance! Alot of RS5 customers will be really angry when they see MTM S4 in the rear mirror or mybe in the front like TT RS will be.

4.0TFSI engine with about 500HP+ will be much better choice for RS5 in my opinion.

Kind Regards

Qisha
June 3rd, 2010, 11:37
Dear Friends,

thank you all for your feedback! :0:

I would like to give a little outlook on what to expect (status today, as you know things might change over time):

First of all the quattro GmbH itself is going through mayor changes. Future RS cars will not necessarily be build by the quattro GmbH, but rather at the "regular line". This has pro´s and con´s. output capacity will move up, retail prices are requested to be on a competitive level, delivery times will cut down, on the other hand there is need to assure the same quality level of production, train the "line crews" etc. This procedure already started with the TT-RS, Q7 V12 and continuous with the RS 5. The quattro GmbH´s mayor assignment is to develop high performance versions of the Audi product line up as well as the Audi exclusive distribution and sporty upgrades (Wheels etc.) for the "regular" model line. Another advantage is, the development of future RS cars will start earlier which is supposed to make it possible to release RS cars within the first half of the product lifecycle.

Downsizing and future emission regulations will make it unreasonable to use NA engines within RS cars. Therefore the RS 5 is the last of the high-revving RS concept. So, forced induction is coming- yes.

As the TT-RS has been mentioned a couple of times:

the inline 5 engine has a great potential and you can assume to see the use of this engine again. A inline 5 with 415HP, 420 ft/lb mated to a 7 or even 8 speed S-tronic within a 3300 pound chassis could do the trick. :hihi:

If we ever gonna see a RS 4 (B5) layout again is doubtful but you can be sure that future cars that carry the prefix RS will not lack design wise.

There are two RS cars on the horizon... over the next two years. :incar:

Qisha

Al Pettee
June 3rd, 2010, 12:03
All RS cars should maintain a manual tranny option-three pedals are more fun than two. :incar:

Fab
June 3rd, 2010, 12:50
Qisha thanks a lot for your usefull infos. RS cars must for shure keep car enthusiastic... really enthusiastic.

Definitely the RS5 is the turning point of the Engines and the last high power output N/A which for me makes it the "collector" to have and enjoy before a new era.

No new RS within at least 2 years makes sense as quite a few have been launched and are still available. But personally I can't/don't want to wait thus I have to make my choice among what is available now.

I the coming years I expect high performing cars (if any left) to be even more restrictive to very few of us as prices, taxes, speeding fines, traffic are all on the growing side.

Looking forward to seeing what Audi will do with the inline 5 potential.

Fab

RXBG
June 3rd, 2010, 14:34
Fab- He meant that 2 new RS cars will be coming out within 2 years- most likely the RS3 and RS4. i think 2 years is too early for the RS7 to come out since the the A7 won;t be out till later this CY.

Fab
June 3rd, 2010, 14:56
Fab- He meant that 2 new RS cars will be coming out within 2 years- most likely the RS3 and RS4. i think 2 years is too early for the RS7 to come out since the the A7 won;t be out till later this CY. Yes of course my mistake... well this is good news indeed : RS3 and RS4 are possible options for me. In case I finally decide to step aside.

Well all in all I have the feeling that wait and see the forthcoming RS might be the best deal hhhmmmmm.....

AndyBG
June 3rd, 2010, 15:35
I would like to see manual gearbox option, as long as possible...

Fab
June 3rd, 2010, 16:07
at the contrary I am very happy with the S-tronic. My next car whatever it is will be automatic

Ritchy
June 3rd, 2010, 18:30
I'm thinking already to sell my RS5 next year for a S-tronic RS3.....

Qisha, any more info about the car ? TT-RS engine of course ?

KresoF1
June 3rd, 2010, 19:28
My wish list...

Next gen R8: 4.0 V8 TFSI, 7 speed S tronic and AWD a la PTM from Porsche. Mid engine layout of course. NO manual gearbox option.

RS7: 5.0 V10 TFSI, 7 speed S tronic, lighter and more agile then current RS6.

RS5 Sportback: 3.0 V6 TFSI(biturbo!!), 7 speed S tronic, AWD from new RS5.

RXBG
June 3rd, 2010, 20:16
Kreso- not sure why you are against a manual option for the R8. just b/c you don't want one doesn't mean i wouldn't. in the future i think car makers will have more cred if they still make them. i will be the first to say it. ferrari will return to manual as an option in a few years.

re: the RS7 engine- you're prob off on that one. my guess is that the next R8 will have 2 V8T's in different states of tune as options (maybe a V10T toward the end of its lifecycle) and that the RS7 engine will have the stronger version. if audi is coming with a 2.5T 5 cyl with 420 hp i can imagine a 4.0T 8 cyl being good for up to 600 hp.

tailpipe
June 4th, 2010, 00:02
Qisha,

Thanks for starting this thread.

The most important thing you've said is that RS models will arrive sooner in the first half of the model cycle. I think this is essential, because those of us who buy RS cars tend to keep them a long time - being almost completely hand-built they tend to last longer. So when RS models are released late in the cycle, very quickly you are driving an obsolete model.

I don't care what engine you put in, I trust quattro Gmbh to do an excellent job. Unfortunately, with high petrol prices and environmental pressures, I guess it must combine power with economy. I love V8s, and while the V6 in the S4 makes sense, it simply doesn't have the same appeal.

An. 8-speed DSG box would be amazing. Bring it on!

Those of us who remember the RS2 loved it because it was so discrete. There is something very satisfying about owning a wagon that will embarrass a Ferrari. Also those of us who had to give up our sports cars when we got married and had children could still enjoy owning a fast car, but we had the extra benefit of increased utility. Please don't lose sight of the RS's wagon heritage.

The B7 RS4 was superb. In fact, it still is. I think it is a better car than the latest BMW M3. It was a real zenith for quattro Gmbh and underlined the fact that Audi was now better than BMW. The latest RS6 seemed like "overkill" in comparison. It had a V10 when everyone else had already started to downsize. Even so it is an amazingly capable car.

If I could buy a RS version of the current B8 A4, I'd order one tomorrow. The TFSI 4.0-litre V8 is taking a lifetime to arrive. If it can combine 480 bhp with 30 mpg plus, I'll be happy.

I think the new RS5 is fabulous. But I can't help feeling it is designed only to eclipse the M3 rather than focusing on what Audi does best: wagons not coupes.

Quattro is also very important. Please do not abandon AWD.

Finally, any RS model can only ever be as good as basic model on which it is based. If you start with a good chassis, then the result will usually be good. I had hoped that the A4 B8 chassis would have had it's engine mounted further back than it was. I don't think it was a big step forward as we all hoped. The styling in particular was a bit dull.

Finally, now that Porsche is in the VW stable I hope it will contribute something to the next RS models.

Benman
June 4th, 2010, 00:49
make "stage II" standard!!!!

now go and DO IT AUDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"A inline 5 with 415HP, 420 ft/lb mated to a 7 or even 8 speed S-tronic within a 3300 pound chassis could do the trick."

Absolutely! :cheers:

tailpipe
June 4th, 2010, 09:42
Two RS models in the next two years?

One is the RS3 based on current A3. This will have the in-line 5 from the TT-RS. But what's the other one? An RS4? Or an RS5 Sportback?

And just when is the 4.0-litre V8 TT coming?

AndyBG
June 4th, 2010, 11:23
New S8 is on the way, but will there be RS 8...?

Ritchy
June 4th, 2010, 15:26
the development of future RS cars will start earlier which is supposed to make it possible to release RS cars within the first half of the product lifecycle.

In that case, i'm not sure one of the two next RS is going to be the RS3.....delivery 6 month before the new model....that would make the biggest delay before introducing an RS !

Please Qisha, can you tell us more ?

S3-lover
June 4th, 2010, 19:50
Have asked about the RS3 in other threads on this forum and barely anyone replys? Qisha basically said no RS3 for current platform yet we are constantly seeing new supposed RS3 test mules doing the rounds, then again it could possibly be next generation haldex testing or something. Please give us some more info as it seems you have some inside info at AUDI qisha. I really want to go put my order down at my dealership. Today BMW announced that it is busy making an M version of the 1 series now we just need Audi to confirm the RS3!!!!!!! all signs seem to point to a paris unveiling? Please explain what those latest 'RS3" pics are qisha is it the RS3 or not?

Thanks so much

tailpipe
June 4th, 2010, 20:04
I think it was Kreso who said no RS3 with current model, not Qisha.

As far as I know, there WILL be a new RS3 model and it's expected to debut at paris. This was confirmed by Audi's flagship dealer, the Audi Forum in Piccadilly, London.

It gets TT-RS 5-cylinder engine plus new 7-speed DSG box. Should be an excellent car, just a pity that the styling now looks so dated.

AndyBG
June 4th, 2010, 20:19
Rs 8...?

Joker
June 6th, 2010, 23:11
Dear Friends,

Qisha

List of changes:

1/ A weight reduction but with this the weight needs to come more from the front half of the car to help balance the chassis and not only improve the feel but balance the wear on the tyres.

2/ combine stop-start technology in the RS models

3/ a complete switch to VVT turbos for all petrol engines.

4/ make the torque split in normal situation to be even more rear bias, like 30/70.

5/ don't stop making the RS4 Avant as this is the model style most fans think of when the name Audi RS is mentioned.

Improvements to the current models

1/ TT-RS to gain torque vectoring system from RS5, plus a slight boost in power to counter the BMW M1.

2/ switch the RS5 engine with a 4.0TFSI

3/ S-Tronic for both the RS6 and R8

Qisha
June 8th, 2010, 13:53
I think it was Kreso who said no RS3 with current model, not Qisha.

...you are right! :hihi:

Ritchy
June 8th, 2010, 14:18
Ok....so RS3 will finaly come.

I don't know if i'll prefer a slow RS5 or an old RS3.....

I know Qisha, i'm never happy ! Nethertheless always buying Audi....

Fab
June 8th, 2010, 14:42
Ok....so RS3 will finaly come.

I don't know if i'll prefer a slow RS5 or an old RS3.....

I know Qisha, i'm never happy ! Nethertheless always buying Audi.... You see... This is what a powerfull branding can achieve : make us true masochists :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

KresoF1
June 8th, 2010, 16:34
...you are right! :hihi:

Indeed I did...

BUT... Tell me one thing-what is the point of RS3 based on outgoing old A3 model??

It will be the shortest lifespan model in quattro Gmbh history... IMHO there is NO need for RS3 based on old A3 model.

S3-lover
June 8th, 2010, 17:07
yeah i know what you saying kreso, but then what are these supposed spy pics of an RS3 we keep seeing (the orange one) then? BMW M1 or whatever is coming out very soon, its been officially confirmed so surely Audi would need to come out with a competitor halo car?

Then again if it was so close to launch how come its not covered up, instead its just S3 bodied cars with different wheels but then why does it have TT-RS brakes?

Please provide us some more info, what are these spy pics and is it coming or not, as im holding out on putting an order for an S3 in to see if the RS3 does indeed come by next year. Just awaiting confirmation before i put my name on the waiting list but it seems audi do not want to announce if they are even building the car and no one seems to know for sure

Qisha
June 8th, 2010, 17:36
BUT... Tell me one thing-what is the point of RS3 based on outgoing old A3 model??

Dear KresoF1,

the RS 3 will be available in a low quantity (~2.700 units) anyway and will be build at the Ingolstadt factory plant. Sometimes decisions are made on a level were we all do not have to understand... personally i know what you mean and do feel about the same. Good thing, there is a very good chance to see a RS 3 within the upcoming gen- as well. :)

RS3 does indeed come by next year

Dear S3-lover,

get your name on the "waiting list" asap. :hihi:

Qisha

PS: 7-speed S-tronic only

Ritchy
June 8th, 2010, 17:56
Thanks for the latest infos Qisha !!!!

S3-lover
June 8th, 2010, 18:26
cool thanks will put a deposit down first thing in the morning!!!!!! Sprint blue here we come. I hope its not too refined, i really want to feel and hear the turbo, i hate turbo'ed cars that feel naturally aspirated

Ritchy
June 8th, 2010, 18:49
More power than the TT-RS ? wide arches ? RS wheelsteering ?

Lmg
June 8th, 2010, 20:08
Will it come in Sportback only?

Fab
June 8th, 2010, 20:48
More power than the TT-RS ? wide arches ? RS wheelsteering ?probably just shy of TT-RS but same power at best, wide arches indeed just what is needed and not bad tuning and RS steering

just my 2 cents

Not talking about the timing... but will be an amaizing hot hatch for shure... probably the best one

Qisha
June 8th, 2010, 21:59
Dear Friends,

RS flat bottom Wheel: yes (already available for the S3, and through Audi exclusive for the regular line)

Sportback only: yes

wider wheel arches: front yes, rear inner fender yes- bodywork no

Please admit a little more time for final specs. ;)

Qisha

Fab
June 8th, 2010, 22:03
Thanks for that Qisha. No worries nobody will push you as we fully understand your position and are all gentlemen. Bit sad only sportback though

Lmg
June 8th, 2010, 22:06
Thanks Qisha! :)

Too bad it won't come in 3-door guise.

It would look good with the RS treatment.

GT3ZZZ
June 8th, 2010, 22:15
Hi Q, thanks for seeking some feedback. Forget all the flat bottomed steering wheel and flared arches stuff! Standing back from the superficial, I think its fairly straightforward:

1. Differentiate RS much more v S models in the look, exterior and interior - think Porsche GT2/3 v Carrera, harder, lower, meaner, totally different proposition, not just the next badge up. Current Audi RS models are far too conservative and similar to their lesser cousins

2. Lose serious weight - current efforts here are poor. A hardcore A5 should be c 1,400kg, not 1,780kg

3. The engines should be blown - it is the Audi heritage and it saves big weight if they can be smaller! RS5 should have the 5 or 6 with big boost.

4. Keep developing the halo models - an R8 RS would help trickle down good feelings about the RS brand. You have missed a trick here by creating a very separate R8 brand rather than a hero for the RS family.

Happy to help

Pete (LP560-4, 997.2 GT3 and M3 owner...)

P.S. Keep racing! the Le Mans cars and R8 LMS are great but where are the A5 GT3's? BMW won the Ring 24hr with their RS5 segment competitor, not their 'M1' supercar.

AndyBG
June 8th, 2010, 22:18
Qisha, THX for this and all other info'... I'm making Audi ''boses'' in my country going mad every time I meat them! :D

Ritchy
June 8th, 2010, 22:20
Thanks Qisha ! i can imagine it's not easy for you to give us those informations. We all do really appreciate.

Hopefully for me, it will only be available in sportback, witch is not really my favorite. No regret now going for the RS5....

But i'm sure next RS3 will be my following RS, especially in a 3 doors configuration.

AndyBG
June 8th, 2010, 22:26
RS 3... It will be fast!

GT3ZZZ
June 8th, 2010, 22:53
Hi Q, thanks for seeking some feedback. Forget all the flat bottomed steering wheel and flared arches stuff! Standing back from the superficial, I think its fairly straightforward:

1. Differentiate RS much more v S models in the look, exterior and interior - think Porsche GT2/3 v Carrera, harder, lower, meaner, totally different proposition, not just the next badge up. Current Audi RS models are far too conservative and similar to their lesser cousins

2. Lose serious weight - current efforts here are poor. A hardcore A5 should be c 1,400kg, not 1,780kg

3. The engines should be blown - it is the Audi heritage and it saves big weight if they can be smaller! RS5 should have the 5 or 6 with big boost.

4. Keep developing the halo models - an R8 RS would help trickle down good feelings about the RS brand. You have missed a trick here by creating a very separate R8 brand rather than a hero for the RS family.

Happy to help

Pete (LP560-4, 997.2 GT3 and M3 owner...)

P.S. Keep racing! the Le Mans cars and R8 LMS are great but where are the A5 GT3's? BMW won the Ring 24hr with their A5 segment competitor, not their 'M1' supercar.

Also think about the green agenda. My M3 has start-stop and basic KERS. Porsche are going to wipe the floor with the competition here in the next few years. Audi diesel models may tick the box but the petrol models are nowhere yet...

Benman
June 8th, 2010, 23:14
Dear Friends,

RS flat bottom Wheel: yes (already available for the S3, and through Audi exclusive for the regular line)

Sportback only: yes

wider wheel arches: front yes, rear inner fender yes- bodywork no

Please admit a little more time for final specs. ;)

Qisha And yet another cool car not coming Stateside... :(

Erik
June 9th, 2010, 06:54
Qisha, just think "Nissan GT-R" and "do it" ;)

S3-lover
June 9th, 2010, 08:32
Oh no!!!!!!!!

I don't want a sportback at all, it has to be 3-door, you won't believ how dissapointed i am now, waited years for this car and now they gonna ruin it with a sportback setup :vhmmm:

The focus RS , megane R26 - R etc are all greta hatches and they all come out in 3 door only, even the golf R comes in 3 door and thats from the same stable!!!!!!!

Is it going to be boring and refined? or will you be able to hear the turbo dumping, exhaust note and be thrown back into your seat ala Focus RS?

thanks

Fab
June 9th, 2010, 08:37
I tend to agree with you but lets wait as I am pretty shure the beast will look good even in sportback format.

tailpipe
June 9th, 2010, 11:17
Indeed I did...

It will be the shortest lifespan model in quattro Gmbh history... IMHO there is NO need for RS3 based on old A3 model.

You're correct on all counts. Even so, i am sure that an RS3 based on the current A3 platform will still be a highly desirable car with immense performance. The success of this car will depend on its price. Whatever it costs, it is likely to depreciate very quickly because of the new model.

I am fascinated by the next generation A3. Early reports, from Georg Kacher, a journalist I respect and admire, suggest that it is going to grow in size and capability. It it provides as much interior space as the current A4 but with more rear leg room, it will do very well.

I would love to see the Torsen AWD system instead of the Haldex one.

Chuvips
June 9th, 2010, 12:38
Unfortunately it hardly can be Torsen unless the engine is put lengthwise, not crosswise if I'm right.

Regarding all the RS cars I agree with most of your thoughts guys, more power and less weight is always greater. But I'm minority, I love the manual, so I'd like to have a choice of gearbox. And 8 speed S-tronic is useless, even 7 is a bit too much IMO.

ZCD2.7T
June 9th, 2010, 13:35
I think that the formula for RS cars should be what it basically has always been: Exceptional performance combined with quattro and classy, sleek but understated styling.

Where I believe that Audi has erred recently has been in not offering more (or all) of the RS line in the US. If Audi wants to effectively compete with BMW and MB, the RS "halo" cars MUST be available here. Since the competitors seem loathe to offer AWD on their top-performing models, there's a market niche for Audi to fill.

andreadebi
June 10th, 2010, 10:01
thanks Qisha for the info!

About engine I will like to see the engine on the 2009 q5 concept and I would like to see also a powerful top diesel engine 2.0 - 3.0lt to beat bmw

ZeroCool
June 10th, 2010, 10:36
A inline 5 with 415HP, 420 ft/lb mated to a 7 or even 8 speed S-tronic within a 3300 pound chassis could do the trick. :hihi:

Qisha

could it be possible that they give the RS3 (because there isn't so much time) a stronger engine than the TT-RS :)
that would be great ... it'll beat everything :D

Ritchy
June 10th, 2010, 15:14
I bet on 365HP.....

youry
June 10th, 2010, 19:34
I tend to disagree with Ritchy.engine will be same as TT RS. but on paper will be a couple of HP less then 340hp. RS3 has to be lower than TT RS rankwise unless it comes with next generation on A3 and then TT RS is not sold anymore...

Fab
June 10th, 2010, 20:13
I tend to disagree with Ritchy.engine will be same as TT RS. but on paper will be a couple of HP less then 340hp. RS3 has to be lower than TT RS rankwise unless it comes with next generation on A3 and then TT RS is not sold anymore... same for me just shy to TT-RS or even but not more. TT RS is an iconic Audi model.

Joker
June 10th, 2010, 22:13
thanks Qisha for the info!

About engine I will like to see the engine on the 2009 q5 concept and I would like to see also a powerful top diesel engine 2.0 - 3.0lt to beat bmw

That's weird, I was just thinking the same thing. Is it not about time that Audi brought us that Q5 concept. Though did I not read somewhere that Audi were about to release a 200hp 2.0 diesel engine, surely if they do that then the logical step is to do something similar with the 3.0 diesel.

Lmg
June 10th, 2010, 22:21
the inline 5 engine has a great potential and you can assume to see the use of this engine again. A inline 5 with 415HP, 420 ft/lb mated to a 7 or even 8 speed S-tronic within a 3300 pound chassis could do the trick. :hihi:

There are two RS cars on the horizon... over the next two years. :incar:

Qisha

Could one of these RS cars be the rumoured "Project Anniversario"/"A5 Sport Quattro" that made some headlines some time ago?:hahahehe:

tailpipe
June 11th, 2010, 09:28
I bet on 365HP.....

You need to listen better. When Qisha suggests an in-line 5-cylinder engine with 415 bhp mated to a 7- or 8-speed DSG box within a 3,300 lbs chassis he isn't speculating but prophesying!!!! He has yet to be wrong, unlike the rest of us.

An RS3 with that amount of power will be mind-boggling. I just hope it doesn't cost too much.

Ritchy
June 11th, 2010, 09:57
We'll see....The reason of my 365HP suggestion: ;)

Not too much, not to worry TT-RS owners, but enough to make it "special" and make customers buy an allready old fashioned car.

RXBG
June 11th, 2010, 12:37
You need to listen better. When Qisha suggests an in-line 5-cylinder engine with 415 bhp mated to a 7- or 8-speed DSG box within a 3,300 lbs chassis he isn't speculating but prophesying!!!! He has yet to be wrong, unlike the rest of us.

An RS3 with that amount of power will be mind-boggling. I just hope it doesn't cost too much.

i don't think that 415 hp engine is going to be the RS3's.

Damienr8
June 11th, 2010, 13:45
i don't think that 415 hp engine is going to be the RS3's.

Agreed. I think the RS3 is going to have the 2.5 5cyl bumped to 350hp.

Joker
June 11th, 2010, 14:36

Are you sure that Qisha isn't referring to this.

If the RS5 weighs 1725kg (3795lbs) that would mean a drop over it of 225Kgs which is in line with what the magazines were suggesting.

Benman
June 11th, 2010, 18:41
An RS3 with that amount of power will be mind-boggling. I just hope it doesn't cost too much.Well, I wouldn't bet on it being cheap. :cheers:

Ben

Spillies
June 12th, 2010, 21:03
And 8 speed S-tronic is useless, even 7 is a bit too much IMO.

²²

When you're on the highway and there is someone posing next to you -> you'll do a kickdown to let the person next to you see the back of your car.
But he'll have to downshift 4-5 times cause of the 8 speed gearbox -> the reaction will not be mindblowing on the guy next to you. :D

A 6 speed S-tronic is enough, when I'm driving at 120km/h (75m/h) in 6th he is around 2000rmp I think and when you are accelerating he shifts at +250 to 6th, so I don't see why adding more speeds?

artur777
June 13th, 2010, 03:46
Dear Qisha,

I think that the main thing Audi should do is to meet its client expectations.

RS5 is a nice car but with old engine and too heavy..
RS6 is a way too heavy
R8 is built with an old gearbox and NA motors

RS cars are nice but looks like they are 2-3 years behind the competition.
You should be on the top edhe of it.

We will see next M5 very soon and it will be ahead of competition for 2-3 years again.
Porsche 911 Turbo PDK is also ahead of R8 V10
next M3 will ne ahead of RS5.

By the time we see new RS models from Audi we see more progressive models from tje competitors.
911 Turbo PDK, new M5, new S55 AMG will be all ahead.

All other things are very nice with RS cars.
So the main idea -is to be ahead not behind. You should launch RS cars 2-3 years earlier than you do it now...
May be the idea to build RS cars at the regular lines will help this...

Good luck, guys

tailpipe
June 13th, 2010, 16:45
Are you sure that Qisha isn't referring to this.

If the RS5 weighs 1725kg (3795lbs) that would mean a drop over it of 225Kgs which is in line with what the magazines were suggesting.

Yes, of course, I forgot about this.

Returning to the the main topic of this thread, I think Artur777 has summed up our collective thoughts very well. Quattro does indeed produce excellent cars, but they are always behind the curve, not predicting it. Audi should have developed a reduced capacity V8 way before now. And the RS5 should certainly have had a twin turbo version of it.

He's right about weight reduction too. The RS6 is a behemoth: way too big, powerful and heavy. By the time it was launched, the V10 had long been consigned to history.

I'd very much like to see a standard A4 with an aluminium chassis. With the B8, I was hoping for a front wheel drive chassis where the engine was fully behind the front axle. I realise that this would have required a very different quattro set up, but i expect innovation from Audi. The B8 just didn't seem to be the big step forward that Ingolstadt promise it would be. I also thought the styling was rather dull. Perhaps the most unforgivable thing is that a Golf VI has more rear leg room.

What I'm saying is that you can't make a good RS car without having a very good starting platform. So I hope Audi is focusing on the B9 A4 and that it will be superb.

PANZER
June 14th, 2010, 23:59
I don't know exactly how it is today but i think that you could deactivate the ESP & Traction contols completly if you wanted to do some more active driving on a track ect.

I been waiting for the RS3 to come out for some time now i think that it can fit my needs as my next car.
But i want to have the choice to pick a 3 door or a Sportback ,i would choose a 3 door because i think the Sportback looks to long like a small estate the 3 door is much nicer.
And of course you should have a choice to pick which gearbox to have i want a manual.

But i do think that Audi should look at how their AWD systems work their cars need to be more lively more fun to drive.
Audi should look at Mitsubishis Evo and Subarus AWD their cars are much more fun to drive and not as prone as Audis to understeer and easyer to drift sideways ect.
Maybe Audi can do something similar as Mitsubishi and Subaru and incorperate a electronic centerdiff that you can set to more rear baised AWD and togheter with the torque vector system the Audi's can be much more fun cars to drive.

Other than that the RS cars needs to loose weight and the engines should be Turbocharged and of course with more power.:hihi:

KresoF1
June 15th, 2010, 07:09
Yes, of course, I forgot about this.

Returning to the the main topic of this thread, I think Artur777 has summed up our collective thoughts very well. Quattro does indeed produce excellent cars, but they are always behind the curve, not predicting it. Audi should have developed a reduced capacity V8 way before now. And the RS5 should certainly have had a twin turbo version of it.

He's right about weight reduction too. The RS6 is a behemoth: way too big, powerful and heavy. By the time it was launched, the V10 had long been consigned to history.

I'd very much like to see a standard A4 with an aluminium chassis. With the B8, I was hoping for a front wheel drive chassis where the engine was fully behind the front axle. I realise that this would have required a very different quattro set up, but i expect innovation from Audi. The B8 just didn't seem to be the big step forward that Ingolstadt promise it would be. I also thought the styling was rather dull. Perhaps the most unforgivable thing is that a Golf VI has more rear leg room.

What I'm saying is that you can't make a good RS car without having a very good starting platform. So I hope Audi is focusing on the B9 A4 and that it will be superb.

Hmm.... I respectfully disagree here with you.

IMHO problem is that normal S models become very, very good. Current S5 SB and S4 are actually an excellent cars(with S tronic). When you drive new RS5 you do not feel any more torque then in S5 SB, in fact S5 SB feels more beefy. After inital problems with fuel consumption(ECU setup related with is normal for new engine and gearbox, Audi fine tuned S5 SB, S5 Cabrio and S4 for MY2011) which are solved S5 SB and S4 are now running as good as ever. Fully equiped S5 SB is over 25000€ cheaper in Germany then RS5 which makes it a bargin IMHO.

IMO Audi needs to diferentiate RS models much more then currently from S models in the future.

tailpipe
June 15th, 2010, 09:50
Kreso,

That's very interesting. I didn't know that S4, S5 and S5 Sportback had been modified. Can you explain more about what changes have been implemented.

Actually, I don't disagree with you. You're right, the S4 and S5 models are very good, even if the B8 chassis is less than perfect. Quattro and other electronic driver aids overcome many of its limitations. That said, I've been very impressed by the latest Benz C-Class. The C63 is an amazing machine. The basic RWD architecture is very well sorted. It offered much of what the RS5 provides in terms of V8 grunt 3 years ago. So I can't help feeling that the RS5 is very late to the party and not that much better than the S4 or indeed the S5 and S5 SB, as you point out. (I can't remember whether S5 sport back has V8 or S4's V6).

I don't know about you, but ever since the B6 S4 and B7 RS4 I have liked V8s. I couldn't get my head around the new S4 with it's V6, although of course this was a clever solution. What I really wanted was a V8 TT capable of delivering 30 mpg as well as thumping performance. I discovered that the new 4.0 litre TFSI was in development in 2008. I can't believe it has taken so long to come to market.

This engine should quickly establish itself as the best V8 offered by any manufacturer. I wonder whether Audi is worried about whether V8s are still politically acceptable in today's environmentally obsessed world.

Ritchy
June 15th, 2010, 11:04
I thought about a possible improvement while ordering this morning a Peugeot 5008 (my apologies...) for my wife.

The car comes with an head up display as standard (yes, just like in a airbus 380) ! one of many other examples, that we can not have on RS cars even with extras, at more than 100000 euros......

RS custumers are maybe also waiting for that.....

KresoF1
June 15th, 2010, 12:33
Kreso,

That's very interesting. I didn't know that S4, S5 and S5 Sportback had been modified. Can you explain more about what changes have been implemented.

Simply ECU was reprogrammed and network between S tronic and engine ECU works much faster and communicate better. End result? Better fuel consumption at lower working regimes.

roadrunner
June 15th, 2010, 20:17
... (I can't remember whether S5 sport back has V8 or S4's V6).

S5 SB has the V6

Cheers
seb.

roadrunner
June 15th, 2010, 20:27
[QUOTE=artur777;192257...
R8 is built with an old gearbox and NA motors
Porsche 911 Turbo PDK is also ahead of R8 V10
[/QUOTE]

Lot of your other points - agree BUT R8 only "shortcomming" is the lack of a s-tronic gearbox.
But if you drive it, especially the V10, the R-tronic annoience evaporates after a few meters.
And I never missed a Turbo, au contraire: loved and love the V10 (sound, torque, drivability, performance)

And I don't care if the R8 is 0,2 sec slower (vs. 911 Turbo on paper). There is much more to it than pure figures...

Benman
June 15th, 2010, 21:01
And I don't care if the R8 is 0,2 sec slower (vs. 911 Turbo on paper). There is much more to it than pure figures... A great comment and so true for performance cars period. :cheers:

RXBG
June 16th, 2010, 00:09
dsg is necessary from the tech/salesmanship point of view. afaik the R8 needs two things- 300 lbs less weight and a state of the art quattro system. the current V10 is easily a 600 hp motor.

Benman
June 16th, 2010, 00:14
afaik the R8 needs two things- 300 lbs less weight and a state of the art quattro system. the current V10 is easily a 600 hp motor.

Besides dumping the V10 for the V8 (the most cost effective way to lose weight), they would have to pump up the price by using more exotic materials. Cabonfiber and titanium vs the current aluminum.

I doubt hardly any current customers would be willing to sacrifice the luxuries that are expected in such a grand tourer. All except the diehards that want the GT! :heart:

RXBG
June 16th, 2010, 02:05
Agreed Ben. I would trade off the V10 for a V8 with equivalent power in the setting of less weight. Equal in my eyes.

lucidclif
June 17th, 2010, 12:51
One thing I think would be a huge success, would be the introduction of the A3 in North American market- with quattro and the 6m tranny, but with the tdi powerplant. The performance capabillity would be tremendous. Market share would soar in my opinion, no other carmaker offers something in that package.

I really like the 6m transmission versus paddles....I know on paper the paddles shift faster mechanically than people change the gears with manual manipulation. But I feel you lose an essential element of a sports car, the connected feeling to car. I am glad to see Audi continue to employ this feature and hope they continue to do so for the forseeable future.

One last thing, alot of othe manufacturers offer a lightweight version of their respective performance vehicles, example superleggera, csl. Audi is different but I think the true enthusiats would enjoy a model like this.

Great post Qisha,

Clif

tailpipe
June 25th, 2010, 14:17
Qisha,

Although there are limits to what you can reveal about new cars, I have to say that I find it hugely beneficial for Audi customers like me to be able to talk directly to those responsible for making the cars we buy. Your own passion and enthusiasm enhances my ownership of an Audi. When you ask for feedback, and listen to what people say and then make certain changes, we have no excuses for not buying. Which is not to say that we're always right. Clearly, expert designers and engineers know much more about subtle choices that need to be made when producing a new model. So, often we need to be educated by understanding why certain choices where made, and the trade-offs they involved. So, please can more Audi experts contribute to forums like this. In the meantime, thank you.

Fab
June 25th, 2010, 14:23
I fully share this tailpipe : this is a fantastic opportunity for all of us to have Qisha on board listening and questionning us as audi fans.

We don't always agree of course but this is what makes it interesting as well.

darkop
June 25th, 2010, 14:48
Qisha,

Although there are limits to what you can reveal about new cars, I have to say that I find it hugely beneficial for Audi customers like me to be able to talk directly to those responsible for making the cars we buy. Your own passion and enthusiasm enhances my ownership of an Audi. When you ask for feedback, and listen to what people say and then make certain changes, we have no excuses for not buying. Which is not to say that we're always right. Clearly, expert designers and engineers know much more about subtle choices that need to be made when producing a new model. So, often we need to be educated by understanding why certain choices where made, and the trade-offs they involved. So, please can more Audi experts contribute to forums like this. In the meantime, thank you.
2nd this...
more ''Qishas'' please!!
:)

Joker
September 10th, 2010, 12:30
My Santa wish list from Audi.

1: A reduction in overall weight. Saves on fuel, saves on emissions and it improves existing engine output performance.

2: Better balance of weight over each axle. All audi models with the exception of the R8 are too nose heavy.

3: Quattro system to continue to improve their behaviour of a rear wheel drive car but still maintain the added safety the quattro has always had. May be more like 30/60 but with the ability to shift all the power in either direction instead of a percentage of it.

4: More bold designs and each model a bit more unique, it's starting to be impossible to know which Audi is coming toward you on the road.

5: Leading the tread of engineering, not following. New technologies need to be introduced first by Audi and not from the competitors.

6: RS models should always be force feed, either from turbos or a supercharger, or better still both.

Not much, just 6 simply things that can be fixed during your lunch break.

Benman
September 10th, 2010, 16:55
Joker, excellent Christmas list! :cheers:

tailpipe
September 10th, 2010, 18:10
To which I would add, please can we have RS cars earlier in the model cycle? Within a very short time of the B7 RS4 arriving, BMW released the new 3-Series and quickly thereafter the new M3. As good as the RS4 was dynamically, it was simply a very old design compared to the newer BMW. Important things like Satnav and electronic driver aids in the bMW were simply 7 years ahead of the RS4's.

RXBG
September 10th, 2010, 18:46
my xmas list:

A and S cars introduced at the same time.

RS cars widebody without exception as their hallmark exterior design feature, lighter and unique composite body panels, along with a totally unique engine showcasing audi's "vorsprung", i.e. twincharged, light, powerful. they should be ultratuned so that going to APR or MTM would be superfluous. make them stage 3 from the get go, keep them limited, keep them expensive. if they are that awesome and unique their expense will be worth it. for example- if the current RS5 had come with a 300 lbs weight loss over the S5 courtesy of aluminium and CF and composite body panels and had been powered by some kind of light 5 cyl or 6 cyl or even charged V8 with 500 hp that yielded CTS-V accel times and a 7:48 ring time it would have easily been worth every penny of it's near 100 euro cost.

a huge campaign to introduce a totally new quattro concept (quattro IV) across the range

DSG or 8 speed auto across the range

manual option on all S and RS cars

bring back standard 4 year maintenance

reinvigoration of aggressive dealership/sales philosophy to rival Lexus.

a new R8 concept in December

Qisha
September 11th, 2010, 00:10
Dear Friends,

thank you once again for the interesting feedback! :applause:

I would like to recommend to those who are able to get to Paris by the end of the month.. go and visit the Autosalon. :hahahehe:

Qisha

Joker
September 11th, 2010, 00:30
Dear Friends,

thank you once again for the interesting feedback! :applause:

I would like to recommend to those who are able to get to Paris by the end of the month.. go and visit the Autosalon. :hahahehe:

Qisha

All the magazines are claiming that the A7 has much more alloy in it's construction, can you possibly tell us what percentage of overall weight is over the front axle as it is sharing it's chassis with the next A6?

QuattroFun
September 11th, 2010, 07:33
I hope Audi does the following when creating RS cars:

1) Carefully analyses what kind of character at a reasonable price can best be achieved from the basic A/S version and develops the package rather than the components. If S5 is not lightweight, why spend tens of thousands per car to shave off 100 kg and still be left with a still heavy yet very expensive RS5 car. Case in point: E92 M3 GTS. Hilarious price and very impractical, but still cannot beat the E46 M3 CSL from 2003 on the intended stronghold, the track.

2) Focus more on exhaust and engine sound and chassis & steering precision and feel. Distant itself from S cars not only through raw power but better feel, precision and joy. Lower and less nose tilted weight of course helps handling, but this point goes way beyond it. With different development and tuning, the very same heavy RS5 could have been even more enjoyable than it is today.

3) Reserve the RS badge for A4, A5 and TT line-ups. Call all intrinsically heavy and numb A6 and upward/cheap A3 and downward cars something else. Go back to exclusive own line assembly for the RS cars.

4) NOT go into mindless templates and mechanical downsizing - always turbo or NA, but rather develop the package to the best possible. There is no shame in honing the old RS4 engine further into the next gen RS5 (Porsche standard practise, really) if it indeed would have been the right engine for it, but they should in this case have thought more about weight and emissions (gearing) and their consequences before making that decision. But of course there is no escaping force-fed engines now - I just hope the next A4-A5 will get an economical turbo V8, not a environmentalist pleasing turbo V6.

tailpipe
September 11th, 2010, 10:18
Qisha,

I will be at Paris. Are you going? I am hoping to be there on Press Day.

Fab
September 11th, 2010, 12:22
my xmas list:

RS cars widebody without exception as their hallmark exterior design feature, lighter and unique composite body panels, along with a totally unique engine showcasing audi's "vorsprung", i.e. twincharged, light, powerful. they should be ultratuned so that going to APR or MTM would be superfluous. make them stage 3 from the get go, keep them limited, keep them expensive. if they are that awesome and unique their expense will be worth it. for example- if the current RS5 had come with a 300 lbs weight loss over the S5 courtesy of aluminium and CF and composite body panels and had been powered by some kind of light 5 cyl or 6 cyl or even charged V8 with 500 hp that yielded CTS-V accel times and a 7:48 ring time it would have easily been worth every penny of it's near 100 euro cost. this is it really : super power, light and able to compete with the most powerfull cars around. Then I spend even 130k euro for it.

Joker
September 11th, 2010, 12:47
I don't want my RS model to feel like a big Bentley, even it's sportiest of models, that is the job of the S model. The Audi A series should be economical, practical and should feel luxurious with sporting under tones, the S should build on these, making it the best Grand Tourer in the class but the RS should offer performance, feel, connection and poise but without feeling harsh or too compromised to achieve all this performance.

A1/2/3/4/5 series : economical + practical + luxury + sporty

A6/7/8 series : economical + practical + luxury + sporty

S1/2/3/4/5 series : economical + practical + luxury + sporty

S6/8 series : economical + practical + luxury + sporty

RS series (All) : economical + practical + luxury + sporty

And it must always have quattro, without that it will offer nothing different than the competition.

Ritchy
September 11th, 2010, 12:53
I'll be at the Paris motor show on the first press day. Kind to meet anyone from RS6.com....