PDA

View Full Version : Lurking buyer

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 11:27
Hi there. I've been lurking for quite a while, enjoying your expertise and test-driving as many RS6s as I can to get some experience. Now I feel it's decison time, and have found two cars which are good candidates. One is a local car, Avus silver/black, with 55,000 miles, all service and recall work timely done (including DRC), meticulously cared for, priced at 32K. The second is Daytona grey/black, with 25,000 miles, same/similar service history as the first car, priced at 36K. The issue is that the second car is located 2000 miles from my home in the Northeast and, although I'd get a PPI done, there is no substitute for a personal inspection and a test drive, right? I'm looking for something in really top condition, inside and out. A good friend of mine who is a car collector advised "buy local" for this reason, and I don't necessarily disagree with him, although the 25,000 mile car (see it a cawrx.com) is very tempting due to the mileage and color combo. Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks a lot.

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 15:38
Well, NE is full of salt in the winter. Are you ok with that? Did you find out if the NE car was used in the winter or was is a fair weather car? If a fair weather car then I would catch a plane and go inspect it first hand. If a fair weather car and inspection goes well....I would opt for the 25k car because the purchase of extended warranty will be cheaper. Just make sure the timing belt service has been done on both cars.

Are you in TX?

Hi there. I've been lurking for quite a while, enjoying your expertise and test-driving as many RS6s as I can to get some experience. Now I feel it's decison time, and have found two cars which are good candidates. One is a local car, Avus silver/black, with 55,000 miles, all service and recall work timely done (including DRC), meticulously cared for, priced at 32K. The second is Daytona grey/black, with 25,000 miles, same/similar service history as the first car, priced at 36K. The issue is that the second car is located 2000 miles from my home in the Northeast and, although I'd get a PPI done, there is no substitute for a personal inspection and a test drive, right? I'm looking for something in really top condition, inside and out. A good friend of mine who is a car collector advised "buy local" for this reason, and I don't necessarily disagree with him, although the 25,000 mile car (see it a cawrx.com) is very tempting due to the mileage and color combo. Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks a lot.

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 15:41
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the confusion. I live in the Northeast, where the "local" car is. The other car is located in Idaho.

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 16:39
No brainer. If the 25k car checks out then buy it.

I would not opt for an Idaho vehicle given your location.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the confusion. I live in the Northeast, where the "local" car is. The other car is located in Idaho.

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 16:42
The 25,000 mile car is in Idaho, 2000 miles away. The 55,000 mile car is in my town.

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 16:56
Oh $hit,

Then back to my first post. Idaho can be messy and full of rocks and cinders in the winter. That will tear up any car. Check out the ID car very close to see if it was used in the winters. Fly out and get eyes on it.

or

offer 29k for the NE car. 32 is too much for that mileage

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 17:15
I think 32K is too high also, but owner won't budge. Anything else out there that you are aware of?

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 18:03
Sit the offer on his lap and tell him final. You are moving on to lower mileage cars. Owners have purchased 40k cars in the 28-29k range all day long.

Check on audiworld.com in the RS6 section. There was a low mileage car listed for 29k.

autotrader is your best bet. That said, the prices have moved up just a tic lately. Cars with 50k miles are ticking up to 32k asking prices. Kinda nice actually. Sitting as a owner with 30k and Fidelity to 2015. :-) My car is worth more money today. Oh yeah.

I think 32K is too high also, but owner won't budge. Anything else out there that you are aware of?

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 18:08
:hahahehe: Are you a seller?

mmaturo
June 1st, 2010, 18:26
I wish mine was...still a sinking ship. I would get eyes on it but the lower mileage car i would go after. 30K miles is a huge difference. Mainly on interior wear and then the rest of the suspension. Honestly on these things mechanically major things will break independent of mileage however at 55K that car near you is looking at all new front suspension pieces soon if not done already (bushings go on these things so upper/lower control arms, stabilizer bar/links), probably has some gaskets on the engine starting to leak a little etc.

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 18:31
The seller of the 25,000 mile car told me that the interior condition was excellent, as good as could be expected (7 yr old car) but that he wished the exterior was in slightly better shape. Lots of clear bra, but still some nicks on front and flares from road trash, etc. He said it would bother him if he was a perfectionist. Still, nothing better than a personal inspection, I realize.

mmaturo
June 1st, 2010, 18:41
The seller of the 25,000 mile car told me that the interior condition was excellent, as good as could be expected (7 yr old car) but that he wished the exterior was in slightly better shape. Lots of clear bra, but still some nicks on front and flares from road trash, etc. He said it would bother him if he was a perfectionist. Still, nothing better than a personal inspection, I realize.

Interesting. I guess his front took the hits like mine from crappy chicago interstates with tons of rocks/rock trucks...my front bumper was serious swiss cheese till i had it resprayed and then clear bra on it which has 100% saved it since last summer. I would say if it is ding and scratch free otherwise its still a better idea, but i would want to get someone to look at it from the forum or myself to make sure. Maybe he can take some real close up pics for you. My fenders in front took a beating but Drcolorchip has brought them back to not noticeable from any distance. Daytona hides it all pretty well. I think any RS that did not have clear bra from the beginning is gonna be hurting.

The only thing that goes on the interior is the top layer of the door grab handles on all doors...every car has this problem...it is going to happen, and nicks in all the switchgear such as the head light switch and on the HVAC unit buttons. Since i had mine replaced last almost 4 years ago though mine has been still perfect...seems nails are the enemy.

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 18:41
Hmmm,

Let me see... a mint 30k car from the southwest. No salt, no winters, no chips, 2 adult owned (70yr old doc/50yr old gearhead), all options, reasonable mods, fast as heck and a Fidelity 6/72k plan that runs to 2015(still worth 5k for the plan alone) What is that car worth?

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/front1.jpg

:hahahehe: Are you a seller?

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 18:51
You tell me! What color is it?

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 19:04
Only the market knows.

Avus with black leather, all options, carbon trim.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/IMG_1665.jpg

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 19:05
Pls pm me if you wish to continue the conversation.

ben916
June 1st, 2010, 19:20
Idaho car.... Can't undo mileage...

Completely worth the $400 flight and personal inspection.
If you are reading some of the other sigh-unseen threads...

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 19:44
As expected from a car in that location. If the car was driven on the hwy and in the winter it will be thrashed even worse that Mark and his Chicago winters. You will see rash and chips up the entire hood and even on the leading edge of the roof. You will also see rash and chips along the entire rocker panel and lower portions of all the doors below the mlds. The front and rear fender arches will be sandblasted as well. Rocks, sand and debris will be in every nook of the engine bay as the wheel liners are vented to promote hot air but will also allow that sand and pebble stream to enter the engine compartment.

There will be sand and pebbles in all the front heat exchangers and literally everywhere. You cant get those little suckers out of the fins.

.03c

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 19:49
It actually came to this guy via an owner in Oregon. But if you're a seller, as I said, please pm or email me.

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 20:14
Oregon is better if it was down in the coast or along the Portland-Eugene area. Bend is almost as bad as ID.

Not really thought about my car. But to compare and contrast with the average stuff on the market for condition even with low mileage I would not blink below 40k considering the mods and extended warranty coverage for nearly 5 more years.

humbert
June 1st, 2010, 20:17
How did you do with your Fidelity coverage on the intercoolers?

DHall1
June 1st, 2010, 20:22
Not even bothered with them yet. I literally have a spec of oil on the corner of the intercooler. Its not time to generate a claim yet. Steve from Autoscope just completed a intercooler claim with Fidelity last month. No problems at all.

How did you do with your Fidelity coverage on the intercoolers?

pellapat
June 2nd, 2010, 03:45
Most cars from either the southwest or northwest will be a good bet. My car was in so cal 98% of it's life then sat in idaho in a 50 degree garage all winter until the gravel was cleaned off the road. It took me 7-8 cars to find the one i have for sale and worth the effort. I wanted a well maintained, non modified, adult driven one. Ya it will have cost me 8 grand to own it 8 months but i knew that going into this.

If it does not have a warranty and a full inspection along with a complete record set from the first mile RUN away.

humbert
June 2nd, 2010, 17:05
Oregon is better if it was down in the coast or along the Portland-Eugene area. Bend is almost as bad as ID.

Not really thought about my car. But to compare and contrast with the average stuff on the market for condition even with low mileage I would not blink below 40k considering the mods and extended warranty coverage for nearly 5 more years.

So, are you forwarding pics?

JSRS6
June 3rd, 2010, 17:56
Dave, thats the first pic i have seen of your exterior. Looks exactly like mine, besides the license plate of course :-)

ben916
June 3rd, 2010, 18:31
Dave, thats the first pic i have seen of your exterior. Looks exactly like mine, besides the license plate of course :-)

And mine too! except my recalled DRC is +1" in the rear... "it will settle, be assured" .... how does something under 16 Bar settle? Wouldn't that mean a leak???

DHall1
June 3rd, 2010, 18:33
Totally under the radar color. I like that.

How about these pedals. :-)

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/AudiPedals018.jpg

ben916
June 3rd, 2010, 18:37
I am partial to the RS6 Plus pedals.
I need something as the OEM one's - well - let's put it this way-> the wife drove the RS6 about two weeks ago and said that her foot was slipping of the brake pedal as it was too slick

About pissed myself...

Born2be
June 4th, 2010, 16:07
You let the wifey drive it???

W>

mmaturo
June 4th, 2010, 16:29

W>

Ha! My fiance...yep yesterday two days before our wedding tomorrow was running errands in my RS6 and got hit yesterday by a moron underestimated a turn between her and the car behind her. Minor wound on rear quarter panel (still over 1K i'm sure) but she is still shaking as she knows its my baby, she was afraid to come home. Luckily for her the car has been hit before by other idiots (guy doing a Y turn in the middle of the street backed into the rear door. so I'm just building up more paint making it more impossible to sell. I needed my rear bumper resprayed anyway for other scratches left by parallel parkers.

ben916
June 4th, 2010, 18:02

W>

Yeah because if I let her drive it and there is something like:
1. the pedal issue, well presto magico! There are Plus pedals that install in like 15 minutes and then we are all good.
2. the squeaking brakes - soon to be fixed...

Method to my madness that the CFO unleashes the purse strings....

DHall1
June 4th, 2010, 18:26
Oh geez the brakes. Dont get me started. :-)

You better watch out because when she finds out how much rotors cost....."you bought a used car that needs 600 dollar brake rotors?!?! What the hell were you thinking?!?!!?" Then the real fun starts.

Yeah because if I let her drive it and there is something like:
1. the pedal issue, well presto magico! There are Plus pedals that install in like 15 minutes and then we are all good.
2. the squeaking brakes - soon to be fixed...

Method to my madness that the CFO unleashes the purse strings....

ben916
June 4th, 2010, 18:28
Oh geez the brakes. Dont get me started. :-)

You better watch out because when she finds out how much rotors cost....."you bought a used car that needs 600 dollar brake rotors?!?! What the hell were you thinking?!?!!?" Then the real fun starts.

I have already chummed the waters...

DHall1
June 4th, 2010, 18:54
The image of that picture is too funny. I got to go find a pic of Chuck getting bent over

I have already chummed the waters...

JSRS6
June 5th, 2010, 01:01
And mine too! except my recalled DRC is +1" in the rear... "it will settle, be assured" .... how does something under 16 Bar settle? Wouldn't that mean a leak???

Well Ben, maybe you should stop worrying about your car settling and let your mind settle on some KW's or PSS9's...;-)

JSRS6
June 5th, 2010, 01:04
Totally under the radar color. I like that.

How about these pedals. :-)

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/AudiPedals018.jpg

I think i have to go with ben on this one with the OEM RS6+ pedals. Nice job though ;-)