PDA

View Full Version : To chip or not to chip!

Artur Costa
September 15th, 2003, 00:26
I own a Audi Avant A4 1.9Tdi from November 1996 , it has the 110BHP engine and 5speed gearbox.
It has currently 234.000Kms and I wanted to know your opinion about the "chips" they are selling.
I dynoed the car and it has 252nm @ 1830Rpm and 127BHP at 4140Rpm! The guy told me that with the chip it would make 50nm more and 30BHP more , and they would tune the engine to have its peak torque only at 2000Rpm!

The priece is not the problem , as he asks 500€ for the chip and the instalation and it has a 5 year waranty!! This is very strange , I believe the waranty is only for the chips action and nothjng with the engine!

The car will make something like 300nm @ 2000Rpm and have 155Bhp at 4200Rpm. This are the numbers that a chiped car just like mine did on the dyno test...
I will not have a higher end speed as the gearbox is too "short" and at 200Km/h Im already over 4100RPm witch is not a engine speed to run a lot of time :bang:
But I will have a lot more torque and , acording to the chip company , I will use even less diesel then I already use.

Can you guys give me some feedback about "chiped" TDIs?
Will my "old" engine blow on me after some more Kms?
Do you think the engine will sofer a lot with this changes?

Hope to here some opinons soon :cheers:

steve
September 15th, 2003, 10:47
Originally posted by Artur Costa

I dynoed the car and it has 252nm @ 1830Rpm and 127BHP at 4140Rpm! The guy told me that with the chip it would make 50nm more and 30BHP more , and they would tune the engine to have its peak torque only at 2000Rpm!

:

It happens very often to 1.9tdi's that they produce a lot more bhp and torque than the orginal numbers! Espcecially with the 1.9 90 bhp's it happens a lot...there are a lot of those with 116-118 bhp
I've read on a tuningsite this difference in due to the engine management.

We have a 98' A4 Avant 1.9 TDI and me and my father timed it at the red light and we got a very good 11.2 from 0-100 km/h.
And that was with an average start!When we give people a ride or something they say its amazing for its "90" bhp.

but as for your 1.9... Is it still healthy to chip the car at 234.000 km's? Would check that first before tuning it. 155 bhp is pretty much for 1.9 TDi.

greetings,

Steve

Artur Costa
September 15th, 2003, 20:25
Yeah my uncle has a 1.9Tdi with 90bhp and is still very fast , but in the highway its visible it has less power...
My dad has a Audi A4 Avant 1.9Tdi 130BHP and 310Nm @ 2000Rpm that thing is a blast , you hit 200Km/h faster then a 1.8 petrol engine (without turbo) :hihi:

Going back to my engine , the engine is very "clean" after all these Kms you can acelarate hard and it wont make any kind smoke! The only gear that "smokes" a little is the 4th gear when going in full throttle for a long time (say from 2000Rpm to 3.000Rpm).
Im worried cus a friend of mine has the chip and the car produces a lot more smoke then mine!
What I need to know is if that smoke is healthy or normal , or if it is the engine just burning something (oil?), I ve read somewere that the smoke in the peak torque of the engine is normal !:confused:

I need to know too if the engine will not sofer due to the torque getting higher! Wont the pistons get more strenght in there?
Can a mechanic say if my engine is fine only looking at it ?
Is there any kind of thest that we can do to know if it is still strong after 234.000Kms?

Any info about this will be apriciated!

:cheers:

Matteus
September 17th, 2003, 16:32
hi,

What does the chip exactly do?
earlier injection? ...
You have to be carefull with what kind of 'chip' tuning you're dealing. There are a lot of companies who give high hp and torque figures but have a bad way to accomplish it.

greetzz,

matteus