PDA

View Full Version : Gold Reflective Heat Barrier film

cmore
May 20th, 2010, 23:35
I went to pull off the air intake on my RS6 soon after running the engine. I couldn't believe how hot the carbon intake was and I can't imagine that is good for cool dense air for the turbo efficiency. I know most of the sport car racing team wrap anything associated with the intake system with the gold reflective hear film.

Given that our intakes sit right on top of the engine, there is no way to escape the heat generated by our engines. I have performed the under tray vent modification, but I would imagine if I could keep some of the radiant heat out of the intake, it would aide the efficiency of the turbos.

This the reflective tape:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1838

If anything, wrapping the bottom of the intake system would seem to have a positive impact on the turbos. I used to have a 3000GT VR-4 and I wrapped all of the intake system and noticed a decent difference in heat soak not being such a problem.

Chris

SAF
May 21st, 2010, 01:06
I like it. Be sure to post pictures of the process of completing this handy work and the results!

4everRS
May 21st, 2010, 03:21
To clear any confusion for others. I am sure you are talking about the air filter assembly and not the intake manifold.

This seems like a reasonable idea for radiant heat off the engine. Those of you with a VAG-COM, could the intake air temp be monitored before and after a job like this? Assuming a similar outside air temp.

JRS-RS6
May 21st, 2010, 03:40
The Intake Air is in Measurement Blocks: 004, 006, 011, 102, 116, 118, and 134. I guess that would be a yes to your question. 134 has the Ambient too.

Does any one know can the values for 111 -- Boost Pressure Control, Adaption value boost pressure control RPM range 1, 2, 3, and 4 be forced to other values?

ben916
May 21st, 2010, 03:41
To clear any confusion for others. I am sure you are talking about the air filter assembly and not the intake manifold.

This seems like a reasonable idea for radiant heat off the engine. Those of you with a VAG-COM, could the intake air temp be monitored before and after a job like this? Assuming a similar outside air temp.

I would be interested in this information also, as I popped the hood the other day after like 15 minutes and it was still very hot...

Benman
May 21st, 2010, 18:28
I would be interested in this information also, as I popped the hood the other day after like 15 minutes and it was still very hot... Me three.... please keep us posted. :cheers:

Ben :addict: