PDA

View Full Version : AIRBAG light on... <sigh>

dWiGhT
May 20th, 2010, 04:30
Ok... just got my RS6 today off of the transport truck.

Now I notice that the AIRBAG light is on. ": ( When it was inspected before being shipped the light was not on.

I don't have the VAG-CON but was wondering if the AirBag/Service reset tools being sold on eBay would help out for this?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=airbag+reset+tool+audi&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&_odkw=airbag+reset+tool&_osacat=0

Has anyone tried one of these on the RS6? If not, anyone close by me in Sunnyvale with a VAG-CON????

dWiGhT

V8weight
May 20th, 2010, 04:35
Don't give those d-bag ebay sellers your $62, those cables won't do anything for you. Go with plan B and find a local with a VAG cable. I'm fairly confident that you'll find it to be an abraded wire under the driver's seat. The only other common issue us the clockspring.

dWiGhT
May 20th, 2010, 04:42
so I'm back to anyone around here (BayArea) willing to hook their VAG cable to my RS6?

dWiGhT

hahnmgh63
May 20th, 2010, 04:58
I'm from Washington but will be in Vacaville on Friday night and could bring my cable and computer if you haven't found someone by then. I don't get in until about 9:00pm and will be leaving around noon the next day.

JRS-RS6
May 20th, 2010, 09:39
The was someone on Craiglist in the Bay area renting out theirs for use some monthes ago. Check there too.

dWiGhT
May 20th, 2010, 18:46
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get access to the wire connections under the drivers seat???

Aronis
May 20th, 2010, 20:55
First of all check the error code. Go to local Audi dealer and just ask them to check the error code for you if you can find a VAGCOM user (buy one now, you'll need it anyway for other CEL issues)

the code will tell you which airbag is faulting.

Mine was the drivers side and the fix (2 years ago and holding) was to clean the connector for the airbag with contact cleaner spray. Remove air bag (2 screws if I recall) unplug connector, spray plug in and remove a few times repeat. Replace. All should be fixed.

Old cars with old wire harnesses will have corrosion at connectors.

Mike

hahnmgh63
May 21st, 2010, 19:48
And, before messing with any airbag, disconnect the battery and wait at least 15~30 minutes before messing with the wiring.

JRS-RS6
May 21st, 2010, 20:48
And, before messing with any airbag, disconnect the battery and wait at least 15~30 minutes before messing with the wiring.

Planned on saying the same thing last night but got busy with something else. Unless you want a Mike Tyson moment this would be a very smart idea. I know when I got clobbered by mine (in an accident in another car) I was out for three days.

Aronis
May 21st, 2010, 21:26
I left my battery connected. No juice at airbag if ingition is off.

JRS-RS6
May 21st, 2010, 21:44
Glad to hear it worked out for you. The Bentley Manual (eBahn) is crystal clear that the battery must be disconnected when working on the airbag it says "The battery Ground (GND) strap must be disconnected when working on the airbag system....". It also goes on to say that no one should be inside the vehicle when reconnecing the battery (admittedly hard to do when to access the battery requires going through the rear passenger door). Your mileage may vary.

Actually not crystal clear more like bright red and bold font with warnings not to connect a ohm meter too and to make sure that the handler is electrostatically discharged as well since a shock could set off the igniter.

skribe
May 22nd, 2010, 03:30
I left my battery connected. No juice at airbag if ingition is off.

Oh, my God, you are cueing up a Darwin award on that one. Working on a live airbag vs. taking 60 seconds to pull the positive terminal off the battery and short it to ground... Hurt locker, anyone?

You just never know. Static, accidental short, freak relay malfunction... an airbag is deployed with an electrical fuse that triggers A VIOLENTLY EXPLOSIVE CHEMICAL REACTION between potassium and sodium that creates nitrogen gas at literal rocket-engine velocities...

People, DO NOT remove an airbag with your battery connected. it's like cleaning a loaded gun.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, and DUMB.

JRS-RS6
May 22nd, 2010, 04:29
Thank you Skribe -- a little more graphic than my point perhaps necessarily so.

dWiGhT
May 22nd, 2010, 17:22
I think I got it that you need to disconnect the battery. I usually do that for anything electronic. One problem I have is that I just bought the car and it looks like I don't have the code for the radio... is there anyway to retrieve the code or change it without knowing it?

dWiGhT

JRS-RS6
May 22nd, 2010, 17:31
Pull out the radio and there is a number on the side. You can use that number to get the code from the dealer. They probably can help you with it if you ask them nicely since the radio removal requires special tools. My dealer did it in like 5 minutes and did not charge me.