PDA

View Full Version : Another Fidelity Warranty issue..........recourse?

One of Twenty
May 18th, 2010, 21:03
Fidelity is denying coverage on control arms (upper and lower) as well as a transmission switch saying that these were pre-existing conditions. Keep in mind that I bought my car on April 30 and noticed the sound from the front end about 10 days later. Transmission was never giving me an issue and apparently when the Fidelity rep stopped by the Audi dealer to look at the car last Friday, at that time, there was a transmission light illuminating............

Car was purchased with 12.5k miles.

I received the denial about 45 minutes ago from the local Audi dealer. I am currently pursuing the issue on my end through Fidelity, the local Audi dealer and through the VW/Audi dealer who sold me the car.

Any wisdom to impart?

Much appreciated, thanks.

DonS
May 18th, 2010, 21:25
Who did you buy the warranty from? They should have performed some sort of inspection to eliminate perexisting conditions. If it was the VW\Audi dealer, and they are experts, and they didn't find the problem, then the claim should be paid as it wasn't a noticable pre-existing condition. If you did not receive an inspection, then it makes sense for Fidelity to try to deny the claim. However, you should have no trouble getting the dealer who sold you the car to make things right.

One of Twenty
May 18th, 2010, 21:31
Update - The issue is/was the issue. Fidelity is claiming that the inspection for preexisting conditions was not performed.

DonS
May 18th, 2010, 21:40
Who did you buy the warranty from and did they inspect it?

If no inspection was performed by the warranty seller, then the responsibility is with the seller of the car.

One of Twenty
May 18th, 2010, 21:46
UPDATE #2 - Local Audi dealer is willing to work with the selling dealer to provide the selling dealer with the heavily discounted price on the parts/labor which Fidelity typically receives. So the dealer has an out for this repair. I will let you know where this lands.

The liability here (if no pre-warranty inspection was performed) seems to lie with the seling dealer - Rusty Wallis Audi/VW in Dallas.

DHall1
May 18th, 2010, 23:02
Wow sorry about the problems.

Imho this is not a fidelity issue.

Rusty Wallace mofos need to stand up and pay

Who found this transmission light?

The whole thing is fishy. Fishy fishy smells like a fishy.

GEN XER
May 19th, 2010, 02:32

Im going to have to call fishy here too. Like Mullet fishy too. 12.5K miles and needs a Trans?

pellapat
May 19th, 2010, 02:46
first off that is to bad. Before I purchased mine I new it had a warranty.

You seem like a well educated person. Is there a reason you did not read the contract. These cars need to have an inspection prior to the warranty being started. When i bought my 011 turbo I had it inspected before the sale and got the warranty at that time.

I have mine for sale with a warranty. You could have bought it and had a real gem. If they give you a buyback give me a pm.

DHall1
May 19th, 2010, 02:48
Ok,

If Rusty Wallace is footing the bill then all is good. Please give us the update on "how" the magic transmission light came on? I assume the code was stored in history. The TC code that is.

At this point RW Audi is crap for selling this car in that condition. But in the end, Audi should cover this transmission. Not RW and not Fidelity. Audi has the crap torque converters taking the dumps.

UPDATE #2 - Local Audi dealer is willing to work with the selling dealer to provide the selling dealer with the heavily discounted price on the parts/labor which Fidelity typically receives. So the dealer has an out for this repair. I will let you know where this lands.

The liability here (if no pre-warranty inspection was performed) seems to lie with the seling dealer - Rusty Wallis Audi/VW in Dallas.

pellapat
May 19th, 2010, 02:51
You might also get a veto on coverage with your modification of the computer. Any tune will deltet warranty coverage. it is a roll of the dice.

pellapat
May 19th, 2010, 02:53
Question- How did fidelity confirm warranty coverage without seeing a pre inspection checklist. This is the real question I would be asking.

GEN XER
May 19th, 2010, 03:00
I got my Fidelity warranty and my car was never inspected. When I purchased mine an inspection was not necessary. I was told not to file a claim within the first 30 Days of getting the warranty and all would be fine. Not all dealers are doing inspections, but they must be telling Fidelity they did the inspection.

DHall1
May 19th, 2010, 04:30
I dont think any tune would delete the coverage. That said, the car was sold in this condition with whatever was done to it.

The Audi torque converters are a known failure point in the RS6.

You might also get a veto on coverage with your modification of the computer. Any tune will deltet warranty coverage. it is a roll of the dice.

One of Twenty
May 19th, 2010, 13:02
UPDATE #3 - RW Audi/VW is in the hole here, as am I. They were legally unable to sell me a fidelity warranty ($3500) without the inspection. I now have a car that needs some repair work and a warranty which has no value without the pre-warranty inspection.

The only viable solution here seems to be the following:

1. RW Audi/VW refunds me the $3500 for the warranty.
2. RW Audi/VW repairs the items which need to be repaired availing themselves of the heavy discount afforded Fidelity on their warranty claims.
3. I enter into a new extended warranty with Audi West Houston after the repairs are completed AND the vehicle is given a proper pre-warranty inspection.

I really do not see any other viable strategy here. Keep in mind that the fidelity warranty was rolled into the modest amount of financing I used to secure the car. Seems to me that the web is a bit more tangled than it should otherwise be at this point.

Any other viable solutions come to mind?

I've got an attorney on retainer for other items going on in my life at the moment. I may have her draw up a letter today and FEDEX same to Rusty Wallis VW in Dallas if I do not hear back from them by early afternoon. The used car sales manager said that he would call me by 12:00pm Houston/Dallas time.

One of Twenty
May 19th, 2010, 13:04

Trans light was not illuminated/illuminating for me. Apparently this item was discovered when the Fidelity representative came out to do the inspection of the damaged upper/lower control arms last Friday.

One of Twenty
May 19th, 2010, 13:05
Question- How did fidelity confirm warranty coverage without seeing a pre inspection checklist. This is the real question I would be asking.

Perhaps Fidelity is on the hook here as well? Is that the inference I should draw from your comment?

pellapat
May 19th, 2010, 13:25
yes it is

SAFE4NOW
May 19th, 2010, 13:40
1. Rusty Wallace is NOT an Audi Dealership, only VW
2. I'm going to to search for a Fid contract to read over it's terms.

Not all contracts require a pre-inspection in order to sell it, rather at minimum a " waiting period " IE: 30 days and 1000 miles ( Protective contract's) which does in theory capture pre-existing conditions.

The selling Dealership is on the hook for these repairs ( IMO ) no way around that.

They owe you a refund the money + APR since it's rolled into your deal.

More to follow...

One of Twenty
May 19th, 2010, 13:46
1. Rusty Wallace is NOT an Audi Dealership, only VW
2. I'm going to to search for a Fid contract to read over it's terms.

Not all contracts require a pre-inspection in order to sell it, rather at minimum a " waiting period " IE: 30 days and 1000 miles ( Protective contract's) which does in theory capture pre-existing conditions.

The selling Dealership is on the hook for these repairs ( IMO ) no way around that.

They owe you a refund the money + APR since it's rolled into your deal.

More to follow...

I've contacted my attorney now. Will await her response. Plan to send RW a note from her today via FEDEX, assuming that RW does not provide me with a solution which is amenable to me. Simply refunding me the warranty amount will not suffice as I would not have considering buying the car for even $10k less without an extended warranty. I bought the car in reliance upon the extended warranty.

skribe
May 19th, 2010, 16:56
I feel your pain... I was exactly of the same mindset -- I can't justify the cost of owning this car without a good warranty. Would've bought a new or CPO S6 or a Panamera if I couldn't get a solid warranty.

I bought my car from a private seller in 12/09, and bought 6/60 fidelity platinum from my local dealer -- they gave the car a THOROUGH inspection (at my cost!) before authorizing the warranty, including rolling through the logs in the ECU. Car passed as perfect. But I was sweating it enough that I went easy on the car and limited my driving in the first 30 days. That burly Cosworth lump is an interference motor, after all.

Seems like the dealership that activated the warranty is culpable... as far as I undertand it an inspection to identify preexisting problems is mandated by fidelity. Smells like somebody at the dealership fudged both fidelity and you. Sometimes it seems to me the majority of people who work at a car dealership lie as their first course of action.

Good luck, it's a great car, I hope it works out for you!

DonS
May 19th, 2010, 17:05
The car probably had its normal "xxx point dealer inspection" - what dealer puts a car on a lot without one? Somebody at the dealer screwed up. Hopefully Rusty's pit crew repairs that RS6 so you can get back on the crazy train.

mmaturo
May 19th, 2010, 17:08
Late to put in the comment but I know of two other RS6s that got trannies at 13K miles. I am irritated we are stuck with this as I just passed 12months/12K on my current trans (#3) and its starting to rough shift/delay then engage just this past week...two weeks after the warranty was up. So I'm on the hook for a still faulty part next/this time myself. Audi is covering failing DSG transmissions to 10yrs but will not step up here with a much greater failure rate per number of cars manufactured.

PS, I bought my CPO car in early 05 with a ton of issues including a bad torque converter then trans with it...the dealer inspections are worthless on these things for the big ticket items.

One of Twenty
May 19th, 2010, 18:24
Update #4 - Rusty Wallis is now progressing with the repairs. Still need to ensure that my car will have a functional (read valid) warranty when the car has been repaired. Props (thus far - more to come) to Rusty Wallis.

MaxRS6
May 19th, 2010, 18:29
Congrats- and hope you have a speedy final resolution so you can start enjoying the ride again

DHall1
May 19th, 2010, 18:53
Bada bing +1

I can think back a few weeks where I started the thread to raise this red flag. "RS6's getting dumped at dealers with failed transmissions." Buyer beware, buyer beware, buyer beware but some kicked the idea to the curb and made fun of the whole shootin match. I think we all know who those folks are.

Hmmm? I guess it does happen? eh?

I feel your pain... I was exactly of the same mindset -- I can't justify the cost of owning this car without a good warranty. Would've bought a new or CPO S6 or a Panamera if I couldn't get a solid warranty.

I bought my car from a private seller in 12/09, and bought 6/60 fidelity platinum from my local dealer -- they gave the car a THOROUGH inspection (at my cost!) before authorizing the warranty, including rolling through the logs in the ECU. Car passed as perfect. But I was sweating it enough that I went easy on the car and limited my driving in the first 30 days. That burly Cosworth lump is an interference motor, after all.

Seems like the dealership that activated the warranty is culpable... as far as I undertand it an inspection to identify preexisting problems is mandated by fidelity. Smells like somebody at the dealership fudged both fidelity and you. Sometimes it seems to me the majority of people who work at a car dealership lie as their first course of action.

Good luck, it's a great car, I hope it works out for you!

DHall1
May 19th, 2010, 18:57
This fact is interesting.

What business was it of anyone to inspect your cars computer? I would call your service advisor and ask exactly how this went down.

Who did what and who checked the cars computer? when the car was in for a suspension failure.

This is key.

Trans light was not illuminated/illuminating for me. Apparently this item was discovered when the Fidelity representative came out to do the inspection of the damaged upper/lower control arms last Friday.

One of Twenty
May 19th, 2010, 19:00
UPDATE #5 - ESTIMATE - These are the discounted rates (i.e. the rates Fidelity would have to pay for the claim). This is the amount the local Audi dealer (West Houston Audi) will honor for the repair work. I have yet to hear back from Rusty Wallis. They have inferred they will pay. I will let you all know the final resolution.

PARTS TOTAL $ 1405.88<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
LABOR TOTAL $ 3437.50 (27.5) HOURS FOR TRANS ISSUE AND SUSP ISSUE,SO (27.5) @ 125.00 HR= 3,437.50<o:p></o:p>
--------------<o:p></o:p>
4843.38 TOTAL <o:p></o:p>

One of Twenty
May 20th, 2010, 02:22
Next Update - Stealership not going to pay....at this point.

Did not hear anything back from Rusty Wallis today. Based on advice of counsel...who indicated that a Deceptive Trade Act letter can not be sent until after my demands have been communicated to the stealership, I submitted this email to the General Manager of Rusty Wallis - Russ Eason and the used car sales manager Carlos Miramontes. Looks like the attorneys will now need to be involved....more to come:

Russell and Carlos,
My name is Greg ....... and I am sure you have been informed by Jason, Ilia and/or Carlos now of the issues with my recent purchase from Rusty Wallis. In any event, I purchased the pre-owned 2003 Audi RS6 - Limited production car (860 units produced/sold in the US in 2003) on 30 April 2010 (Vehicle Identification Number: WUAPV64BN53N904323). The RS6 was delivered to me in Katy, Texas on the Sunday, 2 May by Ilia Pauloo. I purchased the RS6 with approximately 12,500 miles. I would not have purchased the RS6 for even ten or fifteen thousand less dollars ($35,000 or $30,000) if I were unable to purchase an extended vehicle warranty with the vehicle at the time of purchase. I purchased the RS6 for $44,999 less the amount for the trade, my 2006 Volkswagen Touareg $35,000, and with a Fidelity Platinum coverage warranty for approximately $3,450 (Contract #73499627). I financed the balance of the consideration, $14,448, with Wells Fargo.
About a week after I received the RS6 I noticed a popping sound emanating from the front left suspension when I turned. The popping noise was not loud, but did not sound right and the car did not make the sound all the time. More importantly, the RS6 did not have this noise when it was delivered to me by Ilia. Upon hearing the noise, I made an appointment with and took the RS6 to Audi West Houston to be examined last Tuesday 12 May 2010. The Audi service technicians were able to diagnose the noise problem as damaged upper and lower control arms, but with more expensive repairs, Fidelity apparently has a policy of sending out an adjuster to inspect the damage prior to approving the warranty claim. As the General Manager and Used Car Manager respectively for Rusty Wallis Volkswagen, you both are probably familiar more familiar with the Fidelity extended vehicle warranty process than I. The Fidelity representative ultimately made it to Audi West Houston last Friday, 14 May. At that time the Fidelity warranty representative noticed an issue with a transmission light illuminating or a transmission code on the computer diagnostic device, I do not know specifically whether it was a light illuminating or a fault code. Mind you, I did not have any issues with the transmission shifting while I drove the RS6 or with a transmission light illuminating.
On Monday 17 May, I was informed by Audi West Houston that Fidelity needed to know exactly what was wrong with the transmission prior to agreeing to pay the warranty claim (i.e. a simple fault code would not suffice for their purposes). I gave Audi West Houston permission to further diagnose the transmission issue. The diagnosis was ultimately made (a faulty switch) around 12:00pm yesterday. By 2:23pm yesterday, 17 May, I was informed by Audi West Houston that Fidelity was denying me coverage for the claim noting potential pre-existing conditions under the basis that a pre-warranty inspection was not performed by Rusty Wallis Volkswagen.
It seems to me that I was sold something (the Fidelity Platinum coverage extended vehicle warranty) for which Rusty Wallis Volkswagen had no basis (without the pre-warranty inspection) to sell me. As I previously mentioned, I would not have considered purchasing the RS6 without an extended warranty. Keep in mind that the warranty cost ($3,450) is part of the consideration for which I sought and obtained financing ($14,448 over 36 months) from Wells Fargo. In the interim, Audi West Houston informed me that they would honor the significant discount on parts and labor and provide the same discount on the repair to Rusty Wallis Volkswagen if Rusty Wallis Volkswagen wanted to repair the RS6 in Houston. Carlos, you informed me yesterday via telephone that you would work with Fidelity and get me an answer back to me by 12:00pm noon today. As of this writing, I have not heard back from anyone at Rusty Wallis with respect to this issue aside from a call from Jason in finance and emails by Jason and Ilia Pauloo inquiring as to the price of the repairs.
I attach the correspondence immediately below:
<<RE: Estimate for Repairs - inclusive of rental car at Fidelity pricing>> <<RE: Audi RS6 - Fidelity Denial of Coverage>> <<RE: Audi RS6 - Fidelity Denial of Coverage>> <<FW: Estimate for Repairs - inclusive of rental car at Fidelity pricing>>

<<9741%20vehicle%20protection.ZIP>>
With all this as background I see the potential solutions to my current situation occasioned by Rusty Wallis Volkswagen selling me the RS6 and a Platinum Fidelity Extended Vehicle Warranty (Contract #73499627) without performing a proper pre-warranty inspection of the vehicle as follows:
1. Rusty Wallis pays to have the RS6 repaired (availing yourself of the discount being offered to you by Audi West Houston - pricing at Fidelity warranty pricing) here in Houston at Audi West Houston or another Houston-based Audi dealership; or
2. Rusty Wallis sends a flat bed towing vehicle down to Audi West Houston to pick up the vehicle. Rusty Wallis then repairs the vehicle in Dallas at a Dallas-based Audi dealership, preferably University Park Audi, and redelivers the vehicle to me in Houston/Katy after the repairs have been completed; and
3. Rusty Wallis pays for the rental car coverage until the repairs have been completed; and
4. Rusty Wallis ensures that the platinum warranty I purchased with Fidelity (Contract #73499627) is prospectively honored by Fidelity for future warranty claims, if any. In the event that this is not possible, Rusty Wallis Volkswagen secures a Fidelity Platinum coverage extended vehicle warranty for the RS6 (Vehicle Identification Number: WUAPV64BN53N904323).
Please keep in mind that the car has now been in the repair shop for a week and one day and I am incurring rental car charges at $35 per day.

I have contacted my attorney in Houston and will take all necessary steps necessary to have the issue resolved in a satisfactory way.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,

Greg

GEN XER
May 20th, 2010, 03:04
This fact is interesting.

What business was it of anyone to inspect your cars computer? I would call your service advisor and ask exactly how this went down.

Who did what and who checked the cars computer? when the car was in for a suspension failure.

This is key.

I'm confused on this too. Lets see, how does "Hey I hear noise coming from my suspension end up with a computer check. Did you have a CEL on for a bad trans? I have had my trans replaced by Fidelity and your case seems odd. I can see where the selling dealer would ask what led to a check of the computer, I can see where Fidelity would also question you needing a trans when your complaint was about your suspension. I would be weary of the servicing dealer trying to get more out of this than is there, simply because they know the Trans on these cars are having issues and they know you have a warranty. I don't trust any dealer so having to deal with two of them would just push me over the edge. OMG What a mess!!!

DHall1
May 20th, 2010, 04:33
Like I said above. The whole thing is fishy.

Greg-can you answer the questions about how, why and who had the authorization to check the cars computer?

Audi needs to step up and fix this car.

Audi of America needs to stand behind this RS6 with 12,000 miles. This is complete BS.

You want the phone number of the big shot in Michigan? I can get it.

I'm confused on this too. Lets see, how does "Hey I hear noise coming from my suspension end up with a computer check. Did you have a CEL on for a bad trans? I have had my trans replaced by Fidelity and your case seems odd. I can see where the selling dealer would ask what led to a check of the computer, I can see where Fidelity would also question you needing a trans when your complaint was about your suspension. I would be weary of the servicing dealer trying to get more out of this than is there, simply because they know the Trans on these cars are having issues and they know you have a warranty. I don't trust any dealer so having to deal with two of them would just push me over the edge. OMG What a mess!!!

CornersWell
May 20th, 2010, 15:07
When I purchased my 3rd party warranty (through BruceM), I did not need and never had an inspection. Of anything. The vehicle was still covered under the CPO at the time, however.

Sorry for your troubles.

IIRC, though, the 3rd party warranty won't cover DRC issues. I'm not sure about other suspension components, though. Haven't had to file a claim under it yet, thankfully.

Maybe it's worth emailing him...brucem105@comcast.net

CW

ben916
May 20th, 2010, 17:57
When I purchased my 3rd party warranty (through BruceM), I did not need and never had an inspection. Of anything. The vehicle was still covered under the CPO at the time, however.

Sorry for your troubles.

IIRC, though, the 3rd party warranty won't cover DRC issues. I'm not sure about other suspension components, though. Haven't had to file a claim under it yet, thankfully.

CW

Off Topic - do you mean forum username BruceMc (904893)?

SAFE4NOW
May 20th, 2010, 20:53

Sorry for your troubles.

CW

Looking over a Fid contract, I do not see anything that requires a pre-inspection in this contract.

With this said, Dealerships may have special pricing levels that require they pre-inspect cars in order to sell the contract.

CPO warranty is the same way, Audi ( BMW, MB, Etc ) set certain guidelines that have to be met in order to CPO the car, it's up to the dealership to make it so.
IE: Brakes have to be above 50% tires have to be 70% or better, no fluid leaks, all service has to be current as of CPO date, etc... but thats for a CPO warranty.

Protective ( the contract I have / sell ) does not require an inspeciton, rather requires a 30day and 1000 miles before contract goes into effect....

Anyways... watching this thread !

Steve

One of Twenty
May 23rd, 2010, 19:26
Update - Gents...I'm now pursuing legal action against the dealer. Issue comes down to...claim denied by Fidelity because the pre-warranty inspection was not performed by Rusty Wallis VW. Hence, the dealer sold me an extended warranty which they could not sell me. I relied, to my detriment, that the pre-warranty inspection was performed. What I can say is that the upper and lower control arms were most-likely intact and undamaged when I purchased the car. At least there was no audible noise emanating from the front suspension (I realize, of course, that the lack of noise, does not in and of itself mean that the control arms were not damaged). I really do not have an issue with Fidelity as they need to rely upon the stealerships performing these inspections prior to delivery of a vehicle. My issue lies solely with the stealership. I paid $3450 for a Fidelity warranty that they were not in position to provide me as they did not inspect the vehicle. Hence, I've got a worthless extended warranty with Fidelity at this point as no prospective claims will be honored by Fidelity. I do not blame Fidelity at all. I wouldn't pay claims on this car either. My issue lies with the stealer.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

One of Twenty
May 23rd, 2010, 19:27
Purchase: 30 April 2010
Delivery: 2 May 2010

Noise: 9 May 2010

Delivery to Audi West Houston for Reair: 11 May 2010

Diagnosis: 13 May 2010

Fidelity Inspection at Audi West Houston: 14 May 2010

Further Diagnosis by Audi West Houston (at behest of Fidelity): 17 May 2010 - 12:28pm

Denial by Fidelity (No Warranty Pre-Inspection by Rusty Wallis VW - selling dealer): 17 May 2010 2:23pm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

One of Twenty
May 23rd, 2010, 19:28
Update Stealership is going to repair the RS6 and redeliver same to me with an extended warranty in tact. They want to do the repairs in Dallas so I plan to have them pick my car up at the local audi dealer where the car is currently located - Audi West Houston. Not rating overly high on the trust scale, I plan to have the car independently inspected by University Park Audi in Dallas to ensure that the repairs are completed with OEM parts.

I will keep you informed.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

JSRS6
May 23rd, 2010, 19:49
Good luck man.

Aronis
May 23rd, 2010, 20:34
I got my second extended warrantee well before my first extended warrantee ended. The first extension was purchased with about 4000 miles left on the factory warrantee. I cannot say if any inspection was ever done!

I know that if BMW sells a preowned car as a Certified Preowned, the dealer is paid by BMW for the 'inspection' to the tune $1500 if I recall. I was trying to buy my M3 at the end of the lease AND get the same Certified Preowned deal (coverage to 100,000 miles) and found out the cost of the inspection. The pricks would not sell me the extended warrantee even if I paid for the inspection as well. That is why I now drive an Audi!

I have about 6,000 miles left on my extended warrantee (to 104,000) and am in a quandry about buying another extension or just drive until the car dies and sell.

Mike

DHall1
May 23rd, 2010, 21:07
IMHO it is a bad idea to let some schmo VW dealership remove the engine/trans in any RS6.

Please rethink this situation.

I can only offer my caution as I know what it takes to remove this engine/trans assembly.

I would never let any VW tech touch my car at any cost or no cost to me.

never

ever

on this green planet

while i breath this oxygen and emit this Co2 that is killing this green earth.

Update Stealership is going to repair the RS6 and redeliver same to me with an extended warranty in tact. They want to do the repairs in Dallas so I plan to have them pick my car up at the local audi dealer where the car is currently located - Audi West Houston. Not rating overly high on the trust scale, I plan to have the car independently inspected by University Park Audi in Dallas to ensure that the repairs are completed with OEM parts.

I will keep you informed.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

DHall1
May 23rd, 2010, 21:16
Bushings were shot when you purchased the car. No noise yet but the bushing material was torn and the metal components were just ready to start banging. A child of 12 could have looked at the bushings and raised a reg flag.

Update - Gents...I'm now pursuing legal action against the dealer. Issue comes down to...claim denied by Fidelity because the pre-warranty inspection was not performed by Rusty Wallis VW. Hence, the dealer sold me an extended warranty which they could not sell me. I relied, to my detriment, that the pre-warranty inspection was performed. What I can say is that the upper and lower control arms were most-likely intact and undamaged when I purchased the car. At least there was no audible noise emanating from the front suspension (I realize, of course, that the lack of noise, does not in and of itself mean that the control arms were not damaged). I really do not have an issue with Fidelity as they need to rely upon the stealerships performing these inspections prior to delivery of a vehicle. My issue lies solely with the stealership. I paid $3450 for a Fidelity warranty that they were not in position to provide me as they did not inspect the vehicle. Hence, I've got a worthless extended warranty with Fidelity at this point as no prospective claims will be honored by Fidelity. I do not blame Fidelity at all. I wouldn't pay claims on this car either. My issue lies with the stealer.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

GEN XER
May 24th, 2010, 05:01
IMHO it is a bad idea to let some schmo VW dealership remove the engine/trans in any RS6.

Please rethink this situation.

I can only offer my caution as I know what it takes to remove this engine/trans assembly.

I would never let any VW tech touch my car at any cost or no cost to me.

never

ever

on this green planet

while i breath this oxygen and emit this Co2 that is killing this green earth.

Im with you here. I have to guys who work on my VW and my Audi. One is a Audi Tech, the other is a VW Tech and the VW tech will tell you in a minute he is not working on an Audi. They may be owned by the same company but they are totally different cars. The Audi tech does not like working on VW's either.

DHall1
May 24th, 2010, 06:06
You are throwing a virgin 12,000 mile RS6 to the monkeys.

Better think twice. A whole boatload of $hit is going to get F'ed up. The whole front end of the car comes off and the entire subframe with engine and trans comes out from below. You have turbos mounted back along the firewall and a whole list of lines and seals back there.

Oh boy

Im with you here. I have to guys who work on my VW and my Audi. One is a Audi Tech, the other is a VW Tech and the VW tech will tell you in a minute he is not working on an Audi. They may be owned by the same company but they are totally different cars. The Audi tech does not like working on VW's either.

GEN XER
May 24th, 2010, 06:22
Here is a Thread I started when mine came apart. The VW Tech did not want anything to do with this.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19972-HB-Motorwerks-Hamptonroads-VA?highlight=

DHall1
May 24th, 2010, 06:27
Good one Willie.

Better take a long hard look at those pics. All those turbo oil lines, coolant lines, sensors and wires running up the backside of the transmission.

NO VW tech is going to be ready for this.

skribe
May 24th, 2010, 18:33
One of Twenty, I think you've done well given the f-ed up situation you were handed.

Agree with y'all that the least talented VW tech in any dealership is a notch below goober. I once had a timing belt done on my 1.8t at the VW stealership and they put the belt on one tooth off. Car ran like shit. Four different occasions over the years I've caught VW service managers straight up lying to me -- assuming I knew nothing about cars and recommending repairs that were totally, completely unnecessary.

But I think, given the scrutiny you've put on the situation, they way you've handled it, you have a fair shot at getting it made right. There are VW techs who are Phaeton-certified around, a W12 Passat is a pretty complicated car to work on... and the same platform as the C5 A6. Hopefully they have their best wrench on your car and you've put some fear into them by being articulate, detailed, and having an attorney on retainer.

This story just goes to show how unbelievably unscrupulous the average dealership is. Aside from CPO cars, there really is no benefit whatsoever to buying a used car at a dealership. You are better off buying from a private party and paying for a thorough inspection (or doing it yourself if you have the ability.)

Good luck, keep us posted... I'm still below 40k miles, and I am JEALOUS of the mileage on your car.

:addict:

One of Twenty
May 25th, 2010, 04:43
Update - Car will be serviced at University Park Audi in Dallas.

DHall1
May 25th, 2010, 06:13
The RS6 gods can sleep tonight.

Update - Car will be serviced at University Park Audi in Dallas.

skribe
May 25th, 2010, 14:47
Excellent! I was trying to be a glass-half-full for you on a VW tech doing the repair, but obviously this is better. :thumb:

GEN XER
May 26th, 2010, 01:58
Wuuusaaaaa!!!!!! Now call Brian @ BND Auto and get some Trans Fluid that will actually protect the Trans. See my blog. Under my Avatar click on the number 2.

V8weight
May 26th, 2010, 03:07
Wuuusaaaaa!!!!!! Now call Brian @ BND Auto and get some Trans Fluid that will actually protect the Trans. See my blog. Under my Avatar click on the number 2.
+1 Don't put that car back together without 3 gallons of BND trans fluid. While you're at it pick up the engine oil and Aces IV as well.

One of Twenty
May 26th, 2010, 21:06
Update - University Park Audi is REDIAGNOSING the issue. WTF? I've got a report in hand with the diagnosis and they are rediagnosing the problem. This does not comport.

MaxRS6
May 26th, 2010, 21:14
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CqtZ6YfaifQ/Si7E5cEh7xI/AAAAAAAACEE/gELEnMQ6cf4/boehner3.jpg

One of Twenty
May 26th, 2010, 21:18
Update - Diagnosis in hand from Audi West Houston

Fault Code/Diagnosis

Po706 - Both Lower Control Arm bearings
Po711 - Multi-function switch for Transmission

DHall1
May 26th, 2010, 22:33
Hahahahsha@#$@#$!@#$243

hahahahah@!%$#@#$@54

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CqtZ6YfaifQ/Si7E5cEh7xI/AAAAAAAACEE/gELEnMQ6cf4/boehner3.jpg