PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Line Clamping/unclamping tool???

Aronis
May 17th, 2010, 15:31
Hi,

Anyone know if there is a tool to easily remove the hose clamps from the vacuum lines?
I'd liike to change more but would rather not change breaking the connectors when I remove the old vacuum lines. I had to actually leave one clamp on and had enough length on the fitting to put the new hose on. This was not optimal.

Thanks

Mike

V8weight
May 17th, 2010, 17:15
After messing around with various picks and stabbing my fingers, I now just use a side cutters. Just cut the tensioner loop from the side and they pop right off. It's kind of hard to explain without a picture though.

skribe
May 17th, 2010, 20:07
Are you saying you want to uncrimp, r&r the lines and recrimp them? That would be a lot of hassle for nothing... I think they're designed for single use, not sure if they'd hold up. As has been pointed out, you don't really need to clamp thick-walled silicone, it grabs the fittings VERY tightly -- I've never blown one off at 20+ psi on my VW... like pat says, cut them off and discard. Somebody did drop a link for a smaller clamp you could put on there on the recent vacuum line thread if you're worried about it.

The tool I use to remove them cuts from the front, perpendicular to the hose, easier to get at them at that angle.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/258527_lg.jpg

Aronis
May 17th, 2010, 20:50
I don't want to reuse, I think zip ties are just fine, I just want to remove them without damaging the underlying connection points!

I tried cutting one (after removing, since most just slip off) and that metal is hard to cut LOL.
Thanks,

Mike

V8weight
May 17th, 2010, 21:09
Scribe said better what I was trying to describe. The trick is to cut the clamp from the side, so that the side cutter's perpindicular to the clamp. Otherwise, you're right, you'll never cut through it.

hahnmgh63
May 17th, 2010, 21:27
I do exactly as Skribe said and use the same tool, the bigger the better (that's what she said). I do zip tie mine but I don't think it is really necessary.

skribe
May 17th, 2010, 23:25
I don't want to reuse, I think zip ties are just fine, I just want to remove them without damaging the underlying connection points!

I tried cutting one (after removing, since most just slip off) and that metal is hard to cut LOL.
Thanks,

Mike

Technique requires...

http://www.tvgasm.com/shows/images/90210/season2/ep1/man-hands-from-seinfeld.jpg

MAN HANDS!