PDA

View Full Version : I think I preferred the trunk in grey

TheBrit
September 12th, 2003, 21:08
Ever had one of those days?

I went down to the building site where my house is just being finished off. The decorator told me he had a couple of unused cans of paint that I could have back to take to the store for a refund (can you guess where this is heading?). I didn't really want to have to take them back right then, but he was pretty insistent and I didn't want to rain on his helpfulness parade, so I took the paint cans.

I had to get off to work in a bit if a hurry to make a meeting, so off I went. I completely forgot about the paint cans in the trunk. Until I went round a tight corner in a hurry and something went "thunk". At first I just thought that something had come adrift in the trunk under the g-forces my performance driving was creating, and after a couple more "thunks" it dawned on me...
http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/painty/dsc00605.jpg
http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/painty/dsc00602.jpg
http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/painty/dsc00603.jpg
http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/painty/dsc00604.jpg

P.S. That colour isn't of my choosing, it's my teenage son's choice for his bedroom. I've nothing against Nogaro (or is it Sprint?) Blue, but I don't think I'd be keen to have my bedroom walls painted in it!

TheBrit
September 12th, 2003, 21:09
Oh, and it's been to a valeter for an emergency clean. Most of the paint is gone, and I'll finish off with a steamer over the weekend, or at least I'll try.

eph94
September 12th, 2003, 21:21
I'm sure you had that action movie slow motion scream "Noooo-OOOOOOO!" as you realized what was going on back there.

It PAINED me to see those pictures, but I am glad to hear that you were able to clean it up.

I thought stuff like that only happened to me. :alig:

Benman
September 12th, 2003, 21:26
Brit:vsad2: :vsad2: :vsad2: :vsad2:

I'm SO sorry to see that. Those pictures were HORRIBLE to look at. Good luck with the clean up as replacing those trim pieces wont be cheap!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

TheBrit
September 13th, 2003, 13:48
Thanks for the sympathy, a problem shared is a problem halved and all that... :)

I haven't had time to tackle the remaining paint yet, and it's still a bit smelly in there, but I'll try and get a bit more out later on this evening. At least it should be water soluble.

I saw the funny side after half an hour or so, you can't let these things get to you & it's small beer compared to the troubles some people face in life.

:cheers:

Chris.

Klint
September 13th, 2003, 14:24
what a story/experience!

Glad to hear it's sorted, or getting sorted and it'll now be something you've learnt and a humourous story to share. :)

Nice to hear you were using the car the way it's supposed to.

:cheers:

TheBrit
September 14th, 2003, 00:46
Cheers, Klint.

Bauer
September 15th, 2003, 17:42
Brit,

Very sorry to hear about the paint in the trunk.....but this might make you feel better.

A couple of years ago my now brother in law was driving back from the paint store with three 5 gallon can of paint in the back seat of his chevy suburban. When one of the cans fell off the seat and on to the floor. My brother in law reaced over the seat to make sure it was upright and when he looked backl the light was RED. He slammed on the breaks and drifted sideways as he was skidding through the intersection. Drove half way over the hood of a two day old Acura and in the process of all of this, one of the five gallon cans of paint managed to clear the front seat, airborn. Missed his head and blew up all over the windshield. It covered the whole dash, windshield, front seats and my brother in law. Also ended up going into the vents in the dashboard.....5 gallons everywhere!!!!!

He gets out of the car covered in paint and a police officer who happened to be near by walks up to make sure he is ok. After speaking to my brother in law the police officer opens the passanger door, at which point part of the 5 gallons spills on to his NEW police boots out of the car. Officer gets pissed and all the meanwhile the owner of the Acura is screaming(in broken english-asian fellow) at him about his now recked two day old car. A bit of a sceen to say the least.

Now the best part. The insurance adjuster goes out the see the car for the claim, keep in mind the WHOLE front windshield is compleatly covered in paint, you cant even see out the window. Insurace adjuster calls my brother in law and says "your going to have to get the car detailed before I can finish the claim....someone spilled paint in the car":confused:

Brit I hope the rest of the paint comes out for you:cheers:

bonte
September 15th, 2003, 17:51
sorry Bauer,

but I just had to laugh while reading that storie.. seems sth for a movie :p

nene
September 15th, 2003, 18:07
Really sorry to hear of your misfortunes, and forgetfullness.
Hopefully it's not a sign of aging, as the paint in the boot would most likely be considered your wake up call.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that you've sorted it all out, and thanks for taking one for the RS6 team. We shall learn from this experience.

TheBrit
September 15th, 2003, 18:53
Originally posted by Bauer
Brit,

Very sorry to hear about the paint in the trunk.....but this might make you feel better.
Did it ever, that's a great story! :D At least my misfortune was mine alone and didn't involve anyone else. :blush:

GoFastKindaGuy
September 15th, 2003, 19:05
I was going to make some smart remark, but this is just too painful. Sorry to see this. I hope there is a good paint fairy to fix up the trunk for you.
:vsad2:

GmbHouse
September 15th, 2003, 20:27
A few years ago I asked my wife to take the propane tank from our grill in to have it refilled. I was at work but was able to explain how to disconnect the tank from the grill, however, I made the erroneous assumption that she would know to close the valve. On the way to the gas station, the tank, wich is sitting in the back seat of our suburban, tips over and 5 years worth of liquid propane sludge spills into the cloth back seat. All of it gets absorbed by the cloth and foam seat cushions. You can not imagine the smell. After trying every cleaning agent know to man I ended up replacing the entire back seat. It was almost as bad as the 5 gallons of orange juice she spilled in her car in college. Every time the car sat in the sun it reeked of fermented orange juice. Got rid of the problem when we sold the car. Sorry and good luck.

TheBrit
September 15th, 2003, 20:49
Originally posted by GmbHouse
5 years worth of liquid propane sludge spills into the cloth back seat.
At least emulsion paint isn't flammable! :eek:

GoFastKindaGuy
September 15th, 2003, 22:32
Loose stuff in the trunk...After reading this thread earlier today, one would think I would have learned.

Just took the cat to the vet in his carrier. On the way home, I'm sitting at the stop sign. I'm thinkin', "I'm in my RS6 -- damn near fastest sedan on the planet. I can slip into traffic and hit it so as to not slow anybody up."

Seats folded, cat carrier is resting against the front of that damned USA only battery box...until I corner and punch the throttle. RS6 on afterburner; Cat and carrier do about three and a quarter rolls. Amazingly, cat does not spill any liquids -- but does give me a piece of his mind!
:bigeyes:

gmbh6
September 15th, 2003, 22:53
we did change a flat on my wife's a6 and then put the flat tire back in the trunk.......problem was that we had injected the tire with that run-flat juice that started leaking out and reeking like gasoline...of course it took like 3 days to notice which allowed the smell to penetrate more.

we aired it out and cleaned it up pretty good. the smell lasted about 2 weeks and is now completely gone. but just something to remember when you're changing flats.

Bauer
September 15th, 2003, 22:54
Funny stuff...I am sure not to the cat:cheers:

Erik
September 15th, 2003, 22:55
What can I say?

It's a masterpiece! :D

...I hope the paint goes away... :eye:

Snow
September 16th, 2003, 15:30
First, I'm sorry to hear about all your misshappens but I'm VERY glad you shared them, because they are all quite a laugh, well not the "Sprint Blue" paint maybe but the rest! :D

I hope you get it clean without any big repair costs! Maybe consider to change the trunks padding/matts? And with or without paint, the RS 6 still kicks!
:addict: :cheers:

avdh
September 16th, 2003, 18:51
What a disaster! you must have been gutted.

If anything you've got my sympathy, but it won't help much.
I'll remember <b>never</b> to carry paint in my car....

gmbh6
September 17th, 2003, 18:58
Originally posted by Erik
What can I say?

It's a masterpiece! :D

...not to add salt to the wound but that plastic white bag is keeping it from being a masterpiece :blush: .....really, after the initial shock of N O O O O O O O O O ....it actually looks kind of cool....the grey, black, and blue make for good contrast :blush: .....and I keep blushing because it comes at the expense of having to clean it all up. But the graphic designer in me can't help but appreciate the color chemistry (minus the white bag of course.....sorry again).

hope it comes out. :addict:

bilbozilla
September 17th, 2003, 21:15
Will you be posting "After" shots? I'd love to see them. The worst I've had spill in my car are super big gulps (diet), so towels pretty much take care of everything. You'd think that I'd learn not to drink and drive, but every car I've had has had the token Diet Coke spill in it. Good luck.

Finnus
September 17th, 2003, 21:32
The Brit,

I cried when I saw that. Bauer, funny story (in hidsight). I had a tire mishap on my cars maiden voyage (see old thread). As we say here in the states, "Sh-t happens!"

I had a gallon of cider in a plastic jug that was turning to vinegar in a hotel room once. The room heated up during the day, accelerating the process. The plastic jug split - at the bottom, of course! The whole gallon of vinegar leaked out & was quickly absorbed by the rug. It STUNK! Fortunately, I only had to stay there one more night.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

bilbozilla
September 17th, 2003, 21:47
Let us know how long the "New House Smell" lasts in your car. I'm awfully sorry to see stuff like that happen.

Erik
January 1st, 2004, 10:35
If you think you were in trouble, check this MB owner out...

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53061

:vsad2: :vsad: :cry:

Finnus
January 1st, 2004, 10:42
OUCH!!! That's one for professional cleaners and insurance.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Erik
July 17th, 2007, 13:21
Just re-read this thread :D

ben916
July 17th, 2007, 17:55
Speechless here...

I would not be happy at all about that if it happened to me...

I would also be prompting the decorator to either pay for some/all of replacement or deduct from his/her bill.

Being nice and taking it back is one thing.
Saying no is another.

LU-RS6
July 18th, 2007, 00:37
Just re-read this thread :D

Yeah, rub it in!

uuh....

:nono:

:lovl: