PDA

View Full Version : Flapper Valve assesment...replace?

Mikk23
May 9th, 2010, 00:58
Hey there...I pulled the glove box down and blower motor out per V8weight's suggestion...this is what I found. Looks ah...intermittent. There was no blockage that I could see. Might there be a short somewhere or is the motor shot and needs replacement? Please excuse the jittery video...I was awkwardly wedged in there, holding the flashlight while trying to record and managing to hit the recirc button lol. Thanks!

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLV27qkondk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

V8weight
May 9th, 2010, 01:14
Wow, you went above and beyond the normal symptom description with your question! If it didn't look so clean in there I'd tell you to lubricate the pivot points on the flappers, but I think it's safe to assume you need a new motor. Great job with the video.

SAF
May 9th, 2010, 01:15
That's what I was thinking. Nice vid! lol

Mikk23
May 9th, 2010, 01:38
Lol...thanks. I figured it would be easier to take a video then try to explain the nonsense I was seeing. As far as the grease goes...you can still see it oozing out the pivot points and every once and a while (1 of 10) try's it will almost make it start to finish without stopping :vhmmm:. Is this the part I need to order...#7 in the diagram? Looks like its gonna be a pain in the neck to get out lol. Now if I could only get it out of limp mode. One thing at a time :)

http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214407&chapter=&Sectionids=0,51825&groupid=51834&subgroupid=11071&componentid=16050&make=2&model=S6&year=2003&graphicID=1351075&callout=7&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

See the grease...

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/mikk23/Flapper.jpg

JRS-RS6
May 9th, 2010, 01:46
I get PN 4B1 820 511 L motor for adjustment fresh air flap ETKA 820-15 -- http://genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214407 . Looks to be the same to me.

p3u
May 9th, 2010, 04:08
Oh man! You have to post a step by step on how to get to the blower motor. Mine does the dreaded squeal and I want to replace it asap!

V8weight
May 9th, 2010, 04:43
Oh man! You have to post a step by step on how to get to the blower motor. Mine does the dreaded squeal and I want to replace it asap!
Seriously, it's 6 8mm bolts to get to the blower motor, just go out and do it.:mech:

p3u
May 9th, 2010, 04:53
Seriously, it's 6 8mm bolts to get to the blower motor, just go out and do it.:mech:

Ha, I had no clue! I always thought the whole dash had to come out. Should be cake compared to removing the manifold! :)

V8weight
May 9th, 2010, 05:36
Ha, I had no clue! I always thought the whole dash had to come out. Should be cake compared to removing the manifold! :)
Ya, there's 2 8mm's at the bottom of the glove box assy, then 3 more along the top when you open the glove box door. After unplugging the glove box light harness, you can remove the whole assy., and the blower motor will be staring you right in the face.

Mikk23
May 9th, 2010, 06:10
Ya...it took me 10 minutes to have the blower motor in my hand. Should be cake for you for sure. Looks like replacing the motor for the valve might take a bit longer. The screws holding it in face to the left as viewed facing the assembly and wont be easy to access. Anyone know how much clearance I'm going to need as far as pulling the actuating motor from the valve assembly to remove it? Is there any trick to realigning the new motor with the current ducting position? Looks like I might have to take the ducting out to get to it...I'll find out soon enough.

Mikk23
May 10th, 2010, 02:22
So I ordered a new flapper motor and brake light switch today from genuinevwaudiparts...but I'm curious. Earlier in the week when I found the flapper, brake switch, and SAI codes I cleared them. The flapper and SAI came back but the intermittent brake switch did not. At 17 bucks I'm still going to replace it for obvious safety reasons but it makes me wonder if that's not whats keeping me in limp mode. If it hasn't thrown the code again but I'm still in limp mode...*scratches head* ?

I really hope its the switch.

ben916
May 10th, 2010, 03:21
So I ordered a new flapper motor and brake light switch today from genuinevwaudiparts...but I'm curious. Earlier in the week when I found the flapper, brake switch, and SAI codes I cleared them. The flapper and SAI came back but the intermittent brake switch did not. At 17 bucks I'm still going to replace it for obvious safety reasons but it makes me wonder if that's not whats keeping me in limp mode. If it hasn't thrown the code again but I'm still in limp mode...*scratches head* ?

I really hope its the switch.

Maybe a better question is WHY the GO MOTORS dealership couldn't figure this out???

Are you asking GO MOTORS to pay for this AND some sort of compensation????

Mikk23
May 10th, 2010, 05:27
Sigh...well I'm in a bit of a pickle when it comes to that one. I'm demanding that Go Motors fixes the SAI issue which could turn out to be much more expensive. The flapper and break switch together cost me just over a hundred bucks and I can do the work myself. My main argument is that the CEL was on when I received the car due to the SAI despite that I specifically asked if it had any maintenance issues over the phone before I purchased the car...I'd say the CEL would fall into that category lol. So far Greg...the GM was suppose to call the manager of the shop I take my other audi's too locally and work something out as of last Tuesday. He never called. Every time I call, his receptionist tells me that he is with a customer and will call me back...day after day. I've talked to him three times since I received the car two weeks ago and each time it was because he was the one that happened to answer the phone when I called. He also sent the car with no floormats and one key when I had inquired about the mats and how many keys it had before I purchased. He admitted to having the other key in his office and said a set of winter mats were on order for me and he'd put the key in the box and fwd them to me when he received them. Since I'm in Alabama...and he's in Colorado...my hands are a bit tied. I can't just walk down there and put my foot in his ass. If I took legal action it would cost me more than the car is worth. So far I've been polite and persistent and seem to be slowly making head way. I'm going to be calling all day tomorrow until I get a hold of him. I hear that in CO I can report the dealership to some sort of state government authority that deals with shadey car dealers specifically. I have even called autowerks where the car was serviced and talk to their service manager about the car and he doesn't like the GM at Go Motors either. All this being said I'm afraid if I start demanding compensation and being a jerk about it (which by all means I have a right to be), this guy is just going to shut me down and leaving me hanging out to dry. The car has other problems too which I haven't even begun to look into as of yet. Both intercoolers show signs of slight leakage in the lower corners...at least one of the turbo's is certainly leaking a bit of oil. About one of every three times I start the car (usually cold) it belches out a cloud of oily nastiness for a brief second. Luckily all of these issues will be covered in the warranty I bought a few months down the road...but I dont think the SAI is covered...hence I want it fixed.

I know this is what I get for buying a rare car such as this sight unseen. The service manager at autowerks new the car well, however, and assured me it had been well taken care of prior to Go Motors. He also mentioned that Go Motors had brought the car in mid feb. to have a leaking oil line on the passenger side turbo replaced and a coolant leak fixed up under the intake manifold to the tune of a couple thousand bucks. All this is spilled milk at this point...hopefully I can get him to take care of the SAI and work out the other bugs between my warranty and the experts on this forum...drive the car...and love it.

If anyone has a better idea of how to light a fire under the folks at Go Motors please let me know...I'm all ears!

ben916
May 10th, 2010, 08:12
If they had the car since FEB, they (GO Motors) knew there were several things going on with it.

I am sure others, along with you, are irritated/fuming over these dealers that continue to pull $hitty sales on good peeps.
They could be douche bags and say "well, you did purchase an as is used car".
But from what you are writing, they are "kinda" going the extra mile as in offering to pay for some of the issues and then ship the extra key/mats to you.

I wish you luck on this!

And it is great that you are getting under the car and figuring stuff out!