PDA

View Full Version : Selling my LED Tail Lights

AudiRS4ever
May 8th, 2010, 15:15
Hey guys, before I throw them on Ebay I wanted to offer them here. I've had them on for about a year, or about 500 miles. They absolutely look great and make the car look so much, "newer" than with the stocks.
Here's the problem. I was getting a random brake light out warning when the car was cold. Once it warmed up the brake light out warning went away. So me being me, I changed the resistors on the lights. Good news, never had another brake light out warning. Bad news, now I randomly get a tail light out warning. Again, seems to happen when the car is cold. I'm sick of dealing with it. I am probably going to order another set and tear them all the way down and rebuild them. In the meantime I'm just going to put my stocks back in for a while until I decide what to do.
So to sum it up. If you don't mind a random tail light out warning these are almost brand new lights that I paid $400 last year with better resistors in them. Let me know if you're interested and we'll figure out a price. If no one wants them by the end of next week I'm giving them to my buddy to put them on Ebay. Thanks!

Audi-RS6
May 9th, 2010, 21:55
can you post pictures of the ride and leds themselves?

AudiRS4ever
May 10th, 2010, 03:32
can you post pictures of the ride and leds themselves?

Sure.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy335/Chrisfast44/RS4%20Wheels%20and%20Tires/RS67.jpg

lswing
May 18th, 2012, 15:56
Ha, I had the same issue with my lights until we fixed the wiring. Ebay for me, bought from a seller Orange Tuning in Germany, was about $80 more, and looked to be the same stuff sold generically from China...I like them, kinda cheap, but good updated look!

as350
May 18th, 2012, 16:28
I have the same random brake light out warning on a cold morning. Can you post the solution and which resistor to install?

bakes
May 18th, 2012, 18:52
http://www.car-parts-accessory.com/Tail+Lights/A6%2FS6%2FRS6+1998-2004+LED+Tail+Lights+Red%2FSmoked/2643/

First return when I searched for RS6 Led tail lights. How true could it be that no code is triggered??

lswing
May 18th, 2012, 20:16
The ones that I have use a standard bulb as the yellow turn flasher, no code. They are different than what you are looking at there....

kismetcapitan
May 18th, 2012, 21:55
those are gorgeous taillights and ones on my to-buy list. However, through lots and lots of experience, LEDs and CANBUS issues are very difficult to resolve. If the code disappears, then the light is providing the correct resistance...but only at a certain temperature. With my BMW motorcycle, I had the opposite issue - when cold, no code, but once it started heating up, it would throw a code.

The resistor heats up during use. I think the rear taillights might use 11 watts - I saw that number somewhere recently. If the LEDs draw 5 watts, the resistor is continuously converting 6 watts into heat. I'm no electrical engineer but it appears that temperature changes the resistor value enough to piss off the CANBUS system.

I am no fan of CANBUS for lightbulbs. I'm not blind; I can see if a light is working or not! And LEDs can dramatically reduce the wattage drawn from the electrical system.