PDA

View Full Version : How to unglog condensation drain?

SAF
May 7th, 2010, 22:55
I got a pool f water on passenger side today while running the AC hard for the first time this season. I assume something is blocked up. Any tips?

V8weight
May 8th, 2010, 01:03
I don't have an answer off the top of my head, but I'll be working on the car tomorrow. If you don't find out by then, I'll look into it and let you know the easiest approach to getting in there and cleaning the drain hose out. If you want to take a look tonight my advise would be to remove the glovebox assy. (6 8mm bolts, then possibly the blower motor ( I believe 3 or 4 more 8mm bolts) and look inside, the drain outlet should be visible in the bottom of the hvac plenum.

SAF
May 8th, 2010, 01:17
Thanks, I'll wait to see if you see anything. :looking:

V8weight
May 8th, 2010, 01:38
Thanks, I'll wait to see if you see anything. :looking:
I figured as much :) By the way, I got a hold of Jerry, we killed multiple birds with one stone.

SAF
May 8th, 2010, 02:38
Oh good! Let me know what happens with that.
RE: the drain, there must be a place/way to "blast" it out without going through all that removal business (he said with fingers crossed).

V8weight
May 8th, 2010, 03:26
Oh good! Let me know what happens with that.
RE: the drain, there must be a place/way to "blast" it out without going through all that removal business (he said with fingers crossed).
There sure should be, but if I remember correctly the condensate drain exits out of the cowl behind the right wheel liner, so that may have to be removed. I'd take a look tonight, but it's been raining here for days and I don't want to crawl under my car until it drys off.

SAF
May 8th, 2010, 17:24
I found it. It is just right of console passenger side. I do need to pull glove box etc. to access it. Going to try ramping it and going at hose end first I think. Not what I planned for today.

Aronis
May 10th, 2010, 18:49
YIKES, that brings back some memories....

I had a suspension repair done by Honda on a 1980 Honda Accord with a rusting out suspension component. They did the repair no charge, but drained my transmission half way (killed my then newly rebuilt transmission) and crushed the drain tube for the A/C condensor between the new cross member and the car frame.

The transmission death was less than 20 miles later (they would never own up to mistake, re-rebuilt LOL) but the A/C problem did not show up until the warm weather.

I feel your pain.

I had to remove the entire carpet from the Accord to put in in an industrial sized drier to get it dry! The wet vac and sun shine did not do the trick. I was trying to figure out why the carpet was wet, and I could hear the sloshing of water in the condensor. Like a dum ass I pulled the hose off the condensor box in the passenger side and the condensor box drained about a gallon of water into the front of the car! LOL. I traced the hose to the underside and found the crushed segment. Had I looked FIRST I could have cut the tubing OUTSIDE the car and avoided adding the extra water to an already wet interior! Those were the day! LOL

Mike

JRS-RS6
May 11th, 2010, 01:58
Check your mail -- as in snail mail. I got two letters today from "Water Ingress Administrator" one for the VW and one for the Audi.

4everRS
May 11th, 2010, 02:31
Haha. Got mine today too. I think I only got one letter though.

SAF
May 11th, 2010, 02:34
You got what in the mail??

ben916
May 11th, 2010, 02:42
Check your mail -- as in snail mail. I got two letters today from "Water Ingress Administrator" one for the VW and one for the Audi.

interesting topic...
I had a small puddle the day I drove mine home from Hollyweird to San Diego in a pissing down rain storm.
I concluded that the water was coming in from that plastic stuff that dealers put down after they shampoo the carpets and this sticky clear tape stuff held down the weather stripping, thereby allowing water to get in...

Hasn't happened again...

do I have to register my RS6 with AOA?

4everRS
May 11th, 2010, 03:18
Its for the sunroof water channel. Letter from AOA said they have updated the service schedule to include a 'cleaning' of the channel ever 40k or 2 years whichever comes first. Pat will have to update the sticky.

You got what in the mail??

V8weight
May 11th, 2010, 03:56
Ha, I got a letter as well, which was opportune timing, as I broke my windshield water deflector removing my ecu today. I had been meaning to replace it anyway because it has allowed water to soak my passenger footwell via the cabin filter since I've owned it. Now I can submit a bill to Audi.

ben916
May 11th, 2010, 04:14
Ha, I got a letter as well, which was opportune timing, as I broke my windshield water deflector removing my ecu today. I had been meaning to replace it anyway because it has allowed water to soak my passenger footwell via the cabin filter since I've owned it. Now I can submit a bill to Audi.

Maybe that could be the issue with the cabin air filter after a rain, it smells FUNKY! like wet dog...

V8weight
May 11th, 2010, 04:20
Maybe that could be the issue with the cabin air filter after a rain, it smells FUNKY! like wet dog...
It could very well be, it's a common problem with the C5's. The windshield water deflector doesn't make a good seal to the cowl, allowing water to run off the windshield and right onto the cabin filter, which fills the hvac plenum with water.

ben916
May 11th, 2010, 04:27
It could very well be, it's a common problem with the C5's. The windshield water deflector doesn't make a good seal to the cowl, allowing water to run off the windshield and right onto the cabin filter, which fills the hvac plenum with water.

so how do I make sure it is sealed well?
I know that the cabin air filter is toast but want to make sure this doesn't happen further...

V8weight
May 11th, 2010, 04:43
so how do I make sure it is sealed well?
I know that the cabin air filter is toast but want to make sure this doesn't happen further...
First off just push down on the deflector where it meets the lower edge of the windshield to make sure it's properly seated. If not, then you probably don't need to go any further. If so, then you'll have to remove it and either try to reattach the feeble foam gasket that has undoubtedly pushed out of place, or you may have to replace the deflector all together. List price is about $65, so you should be able to get one for around $50. If you'd like, I can take some pictures tomorrow and do a full write up on how to remove the deflector and what to look for as far as a faulty gasket. My car is sitting without a brain for the rest of the week anyhow.

ben916
May 11th, 2010, 04:53
First off just push down on the deflector where it meets the lower edge of the windshield to make sure it's properly seated. If not, then you probably don't need to go any further. If so, then you'll have to remove it and either try to reattach the feeble foam gasket that has undoubtedly pushed out of place, or you may have to replace the deflector all together. List price is about $65, so you should be able to get one for around $50. If you'd like, I can take some pictures tomorrow and do a full write up on how to remove the deflector and what to look for as far as a faulty gasket. My car is sitting without a brain for the rest of the week anyhow.

I am sure that many will be changing their filter with the change of seasons and this would be a great DIY...

The windshield guy last month (oh yeah, bolt versus RS6 windshield at 70+ = new OEM windshield) did things at a rate in which I had to keep one eye on him and one on my 3yo...

SAF
May 11th, 2010, 16:57
The first time I took my deflector off I was stunned to be staring at the exposed filter. On my S4, if you take off the deflector, the filter box (in same location) has a cover on it with vent ducting that prevents water from gettin on it and acts like a housing seen on most other air filters. This set-up is strange.

MaxRS6
May 12th, 2010, 11:19
Here is the link about the settlement and has some further info

https://wateringresssettlement.com/

JRS-RS6
May 12th, 2010, 12:43
Here is the link about the settlement and has some further info

https://wateringresssettlement.com/

Claims here: https://wateringresssettlement.com/Class_Info/Current_Audi.aspx For those whose TCM got wet, you have recourse according to this page. Better hurry filing deadline is 7/23/2010