PDA

View Full Version : The art of deception to test drives exotic cars.

Klint
September 12th, 2003, 18:27
Hi,

I haven't succeeded in doing this yet (re: Title), but I'm getting there with the help of deception.

Today, myself and a friend visted our local Mercedes Benz dealership to find a new and Sold SL500 and also a new and sold S600 kitted up to the top with options.

I was wearing my usual clothes which can sometimes be seen as casually smart.

We went inside and as a typical car dealership you get swarmed by sales reps like flies round $hit...Even more so if you look like your a possible buyer, usually I'll just say in a pleasent and polite manner "I'm browsing is that okay?", but this time I had a short conversation with one of them,. I've tried to duplicate the dialogue to the most accurate occurances.

Sales Rep: "Hi, can I be of any assistance"

Myself, looking closely at the S600's rear end: "Sure, could you tell me how much this vehicle retails at?" (Of course I knew the price...hehe, but just for conversation's sake I asked)

Sales Rep: "That's £94,000 to you and me, straight out the door"

Myself, with a cheeky grin and nodding my head up and down: "Not bad, not bad at all!"

Sales Rep, wondering who I am says: "Is this going to be your next car?"

Myself, with a smerk: "Quite possibly, it's either this or a 996 Turbo"

The Sales Rep, looking totally puzzled by who I am, just smiles and hovers around as I get onto my mobile (cell) phone to my 'old man' to talk about the car. This gives the impression that I'm very interested in the car and may buy it.

The conversation went on about the size of the wheels, the engine specs, options etc etc over the phone with the sales rep in close proximaty (sp?) listening into the convo... :D

I wonder if the car wasn't sold that I could of bragged (talked and acted well without begging) myself a drive...:hihi:

Next up will be a Ferrari dealership in London...:hihi:

Anyone else have any stories to share about test drives that you really didn't deserve?

:cheers:

gmbh6
September 23rd, 2003, 05:16
cool story.

Remember when the Dodge Vipers came out? They had those puppies roped off like celebrity's behind the red carpet.

I asked if I could get in it and the salesman said that they don't allow people to get in without a credit check :eye: :byeM5: :D

hahahaha.......I think it was a $50,000 car at the time.

Yet I had no problem walking into the MBZ dealer and parking my azz into a plus $100,000 CL600 without asking anybody a single question.

To me it depends on the dealer and the area.

In Los Angeles there are so many dealers with so much competition.....that test drives are not hard to come by.....the only problems is that once you test drive it they think they have the right to hound you until you buy it. :trash: