PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice this?

rsjoe
September 12th, 2003, 16:50
I've found that I've had a disproportinate number of cars pull over for me when I'm in the left lane. The only other time I've seen this phenomenon is when driving a viper or other real obvious performance car. The RS6 is too stealthy to account for this. I tend to follow the fastest car on the road and use them as a "radar sacrifice". I then noticed that the cars most likely to pull over were the cars going the fastest as opposed to the brain dead minivan driver barely going the speed limit. It then occured to me that they were acting as though I was an approaching highway patrol vehicle rather than just wanting to use me as their "radar sacrifice". At a rest stop I had a chance to talk to one of these drivers and what he told me revealed a subtle hidden benefit to our great RS6's. He said that when he spotted me coming up in his rear view mirror the chromed side view mirrors led him to believe that it was a cop car with the side mounted search lights. I have the ebony exterior which could easily be mistaken (from a distance) to be the color of a highway patrol vehicle.

jimmy94507
September 12th, 2003, 17:08
Joe, aren't you from PA? Out here in CA they don't even get out of the fast lane for the CHP, let alone another nice car! Does that tell you something about most of our drivers??

Jim

Bauer
September 12th, 2003, 17:16
RSJoe,

I have had the same thing happen to me......I do think the color of the car has someting to do with it along with the silver mirrors. We have had our Ebony S8 for about two years and people seem to ALWAYS pull over...its great(except for the brain dead minivan). The new RS6 is the same color and it happens when I am driving that car as well.

Yesterday I was taking the S4 to have some work done on it and my wife drove the RS6(more like raced:incar: ). Looking in the rear view mirror it kinda does look like a police car. Also I think the contrast of the Ebony on the silver mirriors and the silver upper and lower grill gives it a more agressive look...just my opnion.:cheers:

gjg
September 12th, 2003, 20:00
jimmy94507, in PA (Pensyltucky that is) everyone is driving in left lane so there is NO danger of the "moving out of the way phenomenon" discussed here ....

gjg
September 12th, 2003, 20:00
jimmy94507, in PA (Pensyltucky that is) everyone is driving in left lane so there is NO danger of the "moving out of the way phenomenon" discussed here ....

eph94
September 12th, 2003, 21:16
I have noticed the same phenomenon when I am coming up from behind, but for me, it happens just as often at night. Cars that I plan to use as that 1/4-mile-ahead "radar sacrifice" invariable HIT THE BRAKES and slow down as I approach. Of course, the first few times, I thought that they saw something and I also slowed down. However, each time I caught up to them, and they realized I wasn't a five-o, then they resumed speed. I find that a little odd since I haven't seen a police cruiser here in the northeast with xenon headlamps. Makes no sense at all. This never happened to me in any of my previous or current cars ('99 540i, '01 X5, '98 Maxima, '98 Montero, '96 Pathfinder, '93 Laser, and '88 Grand Am). At first I thought it was so odd coincidence, but it has happened about half a dozen times in three weeks.

Bauer
September 15th, 2003, 16:39
Have not noticed it at night as of yet.......but I have never seen a cop car with xeon headlights. So, who knows at night?

I went to Lake Tahoe again this weekend and on the way up and back I must of had 20 cars each way move into the slower lane to let me pass.:incar: I like this added feature to our cars:cheers: