PDA

View Full Version : Pagid Track Pads

jimmy94507
September 12th, 2003, 16:42
All,

I received the following reply from Andreas Boehm. No minimum order is required, but the lead time is 4 weeks. Anyone going to the Auid National Event at Sears interested in getting together on and order?

From Andreas:
The Pagid front brake pad U2931 in the RS14 racing compound is available to RS6 owners for track use. The retail price for one set (8 pcs) is $405.-. Since there has been, besides Champion, not much demand yet in the US we would need at least 4 weeks lead time. No minimum order is required.

We do not make a rear racing pad yet. I think because the OE pads are so good it is enough to change only the fronts, unless the car is a real racing machine. During braking there is a lot of weight transfer to the front end and with racing pads of course even more. The more weight goes to the front the less braking force can be taken by the rear brakes. So if there is not the whole suspension geometry changed it makes usually no sense to give the rear end more braking force. Pagid racing pads are available through our US warehouse distributors. Please see attached list for the US.

Looks like I'm not allowed to attach the Word file he sent. If you want the list, please e-mail me directly (jimmy94507@earthlink.net) and I will attach it to a reply e-mail.

Does anyone have experience with the stock OE Pagid Pads at the track? Please let us know how they held up.

Regards, Jim

jimmy94507
September 12th, 2003, 16:47
JP4, Can you give us a report on how the OE Pagid pads held up after you Audi driving event at Road America? Conditions, how hard you pushed it and how they held up.
RSFEVR, Even though you weren't allowed to break any speed records, what did you observe in your 25 minutes on Rd. Am.? I remember one comment you made about the smell of hot pads.

Thanks and regards, Jim

andyp
October 24th, 2003, 18:52
Jimmy,

This was really helpful. I placed an order today with John at Pagid USA

28144 W. Industrial Ave. Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
PH. 847-304-5515 / FAX 847-304-5615

Thanks,
AndyP

Erik
April 14th, 2004, 16:38
Excellent information!

We tried to get Pagid Blue for our Nürburgring visit, but it was impossible although we were out in real good time.

I've heard that these a real good as well.
http://www.performancefriction.com/

eph94
April 14th, 2004, 16:58
Quick question:

Do these need to be swapped in and out at the track, or are they also suitable for street use?

nene
April 14th, 2004, 18:26
I believe, from other post readings, that track pads are not ideal for daily driving.
Normally, track pads take a bit longer to heat up if IRC, and daily driving does not provide enough time to do so. As such, it affects the braking power of the car.

Usually with a warm pad you will get better grip, thus better stopping power. If the pad is not given enough time to warm up, then you will potentially have worse stopping power on daily use.

Also, on rainy days, track pads are worse too. If water builds up between rotors and the pads, it will take sometime to clear it and get good grip. Some B5 S4 folks mentioned that for about 1-3 seconds, it almost felt as if they had no brakes at all, and then it gripped. Although 1-3 seconds may not seem like much, when you are going upwards of 55MPH, every millisecond counts, and 3 seconds will seem like eternity.

Just what I've read!!!

Erik
April 14th, 2004, 18:31
Originally posted by nene
Just what I've read!!!

And you are correct on many things.

The noise from braking with racing pads will certainly have people looking at it thinking what the h*ll is wrong with his car? :D
We drove in a friends M3 with racing pads and oh boy did people move when they heard the brakes.

Erik
April 14th, 2004, 21:00
Originally posted by Erik
I've heard that these a real good as well.
http://www.performancefriction.com/

I e-mailed them. Here's the reply... :/

"Dear Erik:
We are doing some technical testing with an Audi Race team - but to date we have no applications for any Audi vehicles, race or street compounds.

Thank you for checking into Performance Friction Brakes. We wish you the best of luck and safety in your racing adventures.

Regards,

Beth Walters
Marketing Director, PFC"

Nordschleife
April 15th, 2004, 14:51
Pagid Yellows are suitable for your purposes. However its not a great idea to use them continuously on the street as they eat rotors and frequently require re-bedding in.

R+C

eph94
April 23rd, 2004, 16:49
I have three consecutive days at NHIS next week (two days with the local Audi club and one day with the BMW club). I have more than enough stock pad left for one day, possibly two, but no way would they survive three days as I hope/expect to be attaining higher speeds by the third day of repetitions. I decided that I needed to be a little proactive and replace my brake pads before the events. (And keep the current stock pads in a little box to be swapped back on at lease turn-in.) My local Audi garage suggested Pagid Grey pads (RS15 compound), and I already replaced the stock fluid with ATE Super Blue a couple of weeks ago, so let's see how these do. Apparently, these Pagid Grey pads are also suitable for street use.

Anybody have experience with Pagid Greys? Just wondering if there is anything I need for which to keep an eye out.

Oh, and there goes the brake warranty.

Aronis
April 23rd, 2004, 17:18
JJV-MA, is the process of changing the brake fluid a big deal? IE do you have to vent and vent and vent again???

andyp
April 23rd, 2004, 19:21
JJV-MA,

For a track pad, the Pagid guys recommend Pagid RS14's ... I'd go with this rather than the greys, since I would put my faith in Pagid not your local Audi garage. The grey's look like they might be a little tough on your rotors. See: Pagid's web site on compound characteristics (http://www.pagidusa.com/btcontents.htm)

Pagid know the RS6 well as they supply the OEM pads (RS4-2-2)

Has anyone tried the RS14's yet? If so, how was rotor wear?

Andy

eph94
April 23rd, 2004, 22:37
Originally posted by Aronis
JJV-MA, is the process of changing the brake fluid a big deal? IE do you have to vent and vent and vent again???

Well, I only did the easy part, which was stepping on the brake pedal several times whenever I was told, but it didn't look particularly vexing for the tech. He whipped right through it, but then again he does that stuff for a living.

Originally posted by andyp
For a track pad, the Pagid guys recommend Pagid RS14's ... I'd go with this rather than the greys, since I would put my faith in Pagid not your local Audi garage. The grey's look like they might be a little tough on your rotors.

Pagid knows the RS6 well as they supply the OEM pads (RS4-2-2)

Our original plan was to go with the Pagid RS14 Blacks, but then my Audi garage was told that the high weight of the RS 6 made the Blacks unsuitable for strain the RS 6 will put on them on the track. I don't know if they spoke to Pagid direct or if they got that information from a Pagid distributor. It was then suggested that we go with the Greys instead. As for rotor wear, I suspect these will be tougher on the rotors than the OEM pads. If they rip through the rotors, and if I can't see myself going back to an OEM setup, then maybe it would be my catalyst to step up and upgrade to the recommended Mov'it 370x35mm 6s1 Billet kit for <<GULP>> 4850 Euros. I've already had the Greys put on the car so we'll have to play it by ear. They feel fine on the street but the true test is what happens on the track next week.

A friend of mine who tracks his car often once told me: "You will go through brakes and tires faster than you ever thought possible, but I've been doing that for years with my M3. It's just the price of admission." I'm beginning to understand.

Joe V.

eph94
May 3rd, 2004, 14:40
Just a quick follow-up to my prior post. The Pagid Grey pads worked well. I thought I lasted a little longer before the brakes started to fade, but that could also be a result of changing to a race braking fluid too. In fact, my tires started to overheat before my brades started to fade, so the "limiting factor" (aside from my lack of ability) in my runs changed from brakes to tires. My only complaint about the Pagid Greys is that the brake dust clogs the holes in the stock rotors. I don't recall that happening with the stock pads. The only way to clean them out is to take a paper clip (or any piece of wire, I guess) and knock the dust out one hole at a time. And there is no way of doing that between run sessions at the track since the rotors don't cool off enough without those short windows of time. I wonder if the dust plugging those holes meaningfully affects the cooling capacity.

nyrs6
September 19th, 2004, 21:22
Anybody know where to get them from?

Nordschleife
September 19th, 2004, 21:39
professionals use powerdrills to clean out the holes in their rotors, much faster and easier than a paperclip.
R+C

SpinEcho
September 20th, 2004, 03:50
Thanks for the update!

I doubt cross-drilling adds anything meaningful to brake cooling. More for looks, pad cleaning for better 'bite', and perhaps helpful on initial application of brakes in the rain.

7:53 RS6
September 30th, 2004, 21:56
Going to try the Pagid Black U2931 RS14 on Gotland Ring now on 1 and 2 oktober. On street the have a nice bite and is relly griping even if cold. I guess i wear rotors a bit more but i will try cuse i dont like stock pads. I went thru 10 settups of front stock pads since marc 2004.

7:53 RS6
October 1st, 2004, 08:36
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Going to try the Pagid Black U2931 RS14 on Gotland Ring now on 1 and 2 oktober. On street the have a nice bite and is relly griping even if cold. I guess i wear rotors a bit more but i will try cuse i dont like stock pads. I went thru 10 settups of front stock pads since marc 2004.

It was E2931!