PDA

View Full Version : Installed Venair hoses and stainless t-bolt clamps.

V8weight
April 22nd, 2010, 04:32
I know this isn't very exciting, but the point of this thread is to recommend upgrading to these hoses if you're running at increased boost levels or have a higher mileage car. I also recommend switching to the better t-bolt clamps at the same time. If you want to buy the clamps you will need 2x 2.5", 4x 2.75", and 6x 3.25". It's a pretty easy upgrade, although the two upper intercooler to front charge pipe hoses aren't for the faint of heart. You should really have the bumper and headlamps removed, but it's still doable without any major assembly.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/009-7.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/007-12.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/005-11.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/004-12.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/002-13.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/001-9.jpg

GEN XER
April 22nd, 2010, 04:44
Yes those clamps are for big boost cars. They are not coming off once they are on.

snoopra
April 22nd, 2010, 05:00
I did mine w/o bumper/headlight pull, was a PITA! Where'd ya get the clamps?

V8weight
April 22nd, 2010, 05:03
I did mine w/o bumper/headlight pull, was a PITA! Where'd ya get the clamps?
I ordered them from ECS Tuning. I try not to deal with them, but they just have everything. It's just kind of a necessary evil.

snoopra
April 22nd, 2010, 05:11
............. ECS Tuning....... I try not to deal with them, but they just have everything....
Yeah, me too. I'll check out the website. Thanks

DHall1
April 22nd, 2010, 06:11
Oh super,

My car sits out in the back shop while I trim hedges, trim trees, fix sprinkler heads, back trace wiring for the pond lamps, spray weeds, pull weeds and did I say the car sits back in the shop.

I love spring.

Brazil
April 22nd, 2010, 18:19
Pat! I need your shipping address!

Have you seen my emails?

terrytcl
April 22nd, 2010, 21:00
get the clamps from mcmaster.com

snoopra
May 6th, 2010, 07:05
V8, did you pull the hoses for the clamp install, or just removed the bolt and "opened" the clamp to slip over hose?

JRS-RS6
May 6th, 2010, 13:22
V8, did you pull the hoses for the clamp install, or just removed the bolt and "opened" the clamp to slip over hose?

On my car we put the hoses on and opened the clamps to intall them.

V8weight
May 6th, 2010, 15:35

On my car we put the hoses on and opened the clamps to intall them.
Yep, just remove the nut from the clamp and rotate it around the hose.

snoopra
May 6th, 2010, 16:51
OK, Thanks. I'm buying my clamps from here:
http://www.votionspeed.com/servlet/StoreFront
They also have other goodies for custom jobs:) (extra oil cooler, water=>air IC, etc)

LIRS6
May 6th, 2010, 18:32
Where to buy the Venair hoses - any particular suggestions?

V8weight
May 6th, 2010, 19:15
Where to buy the Venair hoses - any particular suggestions?

Either Hoppen Motorsport or directly from Venair. James bought 2 sets directly from Venair, one for each of our cars. Maybe try shooting him a pm about the contact info as I know he had good luck dealing with one employee in specific.

ben916
May 6th, 2010, 19:20
Either Hoppen Motorsport or directly from Venair. James bought 2 sets directly from Venair, one for each of our cars. Maybe try shooting him a pm about the contact info as I know he had good luck dealing with one employee in specific.

sounds like a group buy????

yokust
May 6th, 2010, 19:36
Apikol is also a dealer of Venair, they do make all of their custom hoses for there intercooler kits for other vehicles

snoopra
May 6th, 2010, 21:52
http://www.tuningvenair.com/silicone_hoses/oferta/685
------ $242.72, but if you're not in a rush they have sales from time to time.

V8weight
May 6th, 2010, 22:35
Hehe, we got two sets shipped for like $245. I'd like to know what James said to that lady.

JRS-RS6
May 7th, 2010, 01:52
Ask for Joel Cloutier -- Tel: 305-362-8920

Venair was a pleasure to deal with. Also if someone wants to send them a set of the hoses that run from the air plenum to the DVs they can make those too. They just need a set to copy. I spoke with Nick about this and he said he does custom stuff all the time.

http://tuningvenair.us/

LIRS6
May 11th, 2010, 16:58
http://www.tuningvenair.com/silicone_hoses/oferta/685
------ $242.72, but if you're not in a rush they have sales from time to time.

Thanks, they have a "spring kit sale", picked up a set for $215 delivered ..

V8weight
January 13th, 2011, 01:37
Bump for Ben........

ben916
January 13th, 2011, 04:09
did you get my photo?

kismetcapitan
October 6th, 2011, 06:51
I'm personally not a fan of T-bolt clamps. They are a pain in the ass to get on and off, and at least on my Skyline, they've popped off under boost. Wrenching that nut, versus just slipping a screwdriver down into the recesses...on problem pipes, I've just lengthened the silicone connector and doubled up on the traditional clamps.

speedtrapped
October 6th, 2011, 11:30
I actually think, with an extension on a ratchet the t clamps were easier, able to TQ up the nut a lot quicker then a traditional slotted screwdriver, but I now use constant TQ clamps anyway.

Elevens
October 7th, 2011, 00:53
I just installed a couple of T-bolt clamps on my old upper intercooler hoses These are about twice a wide as the Stock clamps and using a Rachet Torques up much easier than a screwdriver. Believe you me these hoses aren't blowing of any time soon, if any at all.

lswing
October 20th, 2011, 21:37
Thanks for the great thread all, just ordered the hoses and t-bolt clamps, very nice having the measurements there!

Spidercat
October 21st, 2011, 19:57
FWIW, I went back to OEM worm-gear clamps on my lower intercooler hoses (on the intercooler side), and retained the T-bolt clamps for the lower hard-pipe side. I got tired of having to reseat them after every few times of getting on the boost. Last time, both slipped out from under the clamp, and so just went back to the old ones. I really wish those two lower hoses were just a 5 mm longer. Maybe I just didn't figure out the trick to getting those two locations to seat properly. I tried everything- degreasing the hoses inside and out, the flange, hairspray on the surface; nothing worked for me. I got sick of crawling under the car every week.

I would keep the old hoses and clamps as spares if I were you.

You don't need a screwdriver for the OEM clamps, btw, since they are hex-heads with a flathead slot. I just used a short ratchet and tightened them as much as possible without cutting into the hose. One of them completely snapped in half, too, so you can generate a lot more torque than a screwdriver.

JSRS6
October 21st, 2011, 20:41
FWIW, I went back to OEM worm-gear clamps on my lower intercooler hoses (on the intercooler side), and retained the T-bolt clamps for the lower hard-pipe side. I got tired of having to reseat them after every few times of getting on the boost. Last time, both slipped out from under the clamp, and so just went back to the old ones. I really wish those two lower hoses were just a 5 mm longer. Maybe I just didn't figure out the trick to getting those two locations to seat properly. I tried everything- degreasing the hoses inside and out, the flange, hairspray on the surface; nothing worked for me. I got sick of crawling under the car every week.

I would keep the old hoses and clamps as spares if I were you.

You don't need a screwdriver for the OEM clamps, btw, since they are hex-heads with a flathead slot. I just used a short ratchet and tightened them as much as possible without cutting into the hose. One of them completely snapped in half, too, so you can generate a lot more torque than a screwdriver.

You aren't alone. I tried everything as well, and eventually got tired of it and went to hd worm gear clamps in that location. Been holding tight ever since! All others are t-bolts though.

lswing
November 3rd, 2011, 18:19
I know this isn't very exciting, but the point of this thread is to recommend upgrading to these hoses if you're running at increased boost levels or have a higher mileage car. I also recommend switching to the better t-bolt clamps at the same time. If you want to buy the clamps you will need 2x 2.5", 4x 2.75", and 6x 3.25". It's a pretty easy upgrade, although the two upper intercooler to front charge pipe hoses aren't for the faint of heart. You should really have the bumper and headlamps removed, but it's still doable without any major assembly.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/009-7.jpg
]

I ordered the clamps in the exact sizing you specified, my mechanic said the size and quantity per size was not going to work at all. Sounds like the sizes might be ok, but the quantities associated are off, had to send them back and use standard clamps...

lswing
November 3rd, 2011, 18:21
Crap, I can now see in your pic it is 4 of the 2.5's...my mech made it sound like there were more missing than that...

V8weight
November 4th, 2011, 17:58
Crap, I can now see in your pic it is 4 of the 2.5's...my mech made it sound like there were more missing than that...

I was doing two cars at the same time, so the quantity in the picture is irrelevant.....The sizes and quantitys that I l listed in my original post are what I used on two RS6's...should I draw your mechanic a picture?

speedtrapped
November 4th, 2011, 19:04
Hi pat. How the he'll are ya?

lswing
November 4th, 2011, 21:40
I was doing two cars at the same time, so the quantity in the picture is irrelevant.....The sizes and quantitys that I l listed in my original post are what I used on two RS6's...should I draw your mechanic a picture?

Um, if you used that many clamps on TWO cars it would be nice to know when you're offering up information to a forum, maybe I missed it? Maybe they sent the wrong size, but the packing slip was correct. My mech had both IC's out to attach the new hoses, said there were not enough clamps of the correct size to cover everything, so I would image it would be easy to tell if they would fit or not. Luckily the company was nice enough to take a return on all the unused clamps. Standard ones are holding well, but I'm only up a few pounds of boost over stock.

V8weight
November 4th, 2011, 22:30
Um, if you used that many clamps on TWO cars it would be nice to know when you're offering up information to a forum, maybe I missed it? Maybe they sent the wrong size, but the packing slip was correct. My mech had both IC's out to attach the new hoses, said there were not enough clamps of the correct size to cover everything, so I would image it would be easy to tell if they would fit or not. Luckily the company was nice enough to take a return on all the unused clamps. Standard ones are holding well, but I'm only up a few pounds of boost over stock.
I guess I don't fully understand your confusion? Yes, I installed venair hoses and t-bolt clamps on two cars....the quantitys and sizes that I listed in my original post were correct for one car...the picture however was just a pile of clamps..

lswing
November 4th, 2011, 22:48
Thanks for clarifying. I just assumed the stack of clamps was going to match your list. Wish I had a chance to look at the IC hoses and clamps myself, ah well, if the standard ones keep holding all is well. The Venair hoses really look to be tough and top quality, fitment was great. 5 layers of material in the hoses, very strong, and flexible!

StevieG.
December 18th, 2012, 01:01
Hi folks - after a custom tune I am blowing the hoses off pretty regularly and just ordered the clamps from McMasters and the hose kit from Venair for 228.00 - working on a rather small screen and was hoping someone coudl clarify that the 6 hose kit includes the intercooler hoses?

Thanks much!

lswing
December 18th, 2012, 01:45
6 hoses total for ic kit, should cover it. Using standard clamps, never had one pop, just make sure they are put on clean. There are two little hoses by the turbos that are a pia unless engine is out. I assume your hoses that are popping are right by the ic's where the oil builds up?

StevieG.
December 18th, 2012, 02:03
Not sure where the current leak is, but it must not have popped a hose completely off. Last time it occurred the right turbo sounded like it was blowing into the cockpit.

My younger brother was driving it like he was in his Cobra and a Corvette pulled up at a light......CE light came on again, I was hearing air under boost, so decided to order the kit to hopefully end this particular issue.

Thanks much for the response.

V8weight
December 18th, 2012, 02:11
6 hoses total for ic kit, should cover it. Using standard clamps, never had one pop, just make sure they are put on clean. There are two little hoses by the turbos that are a pia unless engine is out. I assume your hoses that are popping are right by the ic's where the oil builds up?
I guess it's all in how you aim the clamps when you install them. I used to remove all 6 hoses and both charge pipes at every oil change and clean them inside and out with lacquer thinner.....never had a problem accessing the turbo to charge pipe hose clamps....

ttboost
December 18th, 2012, 02:27
Yep..if you put some thought into it when you have everything out, it will pay back in spades later..

mik15
February 18th, 2013, 10:40
i've got the silicon off someone on the forum but i didn't get the ones from turbos to the first set of pipes, the short hoses, does anyone know what size are those? is it the 2.75 to 2.5 ? i found these on ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-2-5-Inch-63mm-Silicone-3ply-Coupler-Hose-Turbo-Intake-Intercooler-AD-/221137780089?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARS6&hash=item337cd6bd79&vxp=mtr) and would like to purchase it but i am not sure if it is the correct size...