PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stumped about bosch 044 fuel pump...

BenA
April 22nd, 2010, 01:59
Car is torn apart right now... We have the Bosch 044 from MTM but are trying to figure out exactly where it goes and which fuel pump it replaces? Any quick feedback? We took the in-tank one out and it doesn't look the same and I know it's not the "transfer fuel pump" Any help is appreciated! Does it bolt up externally somewhere?

snoopra
April 22nd, 2010, 05:09
It replaces the external pump located below the rear passenger door area, below the fuel filter.

ben916
April 22nd, 2010, 07:45
It replaces the external pump located below the rear passenger door area, below the fuel filter.

yep, exactly right!
it is really snug against the body.
If you search the forum, there are photos of what it looks like.

BenA
April 22nd, 2010, 12:51
yep, exactly right!
it is really snug against the body.
If you search the forum, there are photos of what it looks like.

Thanks for the help guys. That's what we thought but were a little confused because the Audi Study Guide lists the external one as a "transfer fuel pump" so MTM must have determined that the main/prime pump was sufficient but that the transfer fuel pump was not. The one in the tank definitely didn't look comparable, so we ruled that out. Only other option was that the Bosch 044 was supposed to be a separate inline pump hung elsewhere but hours of searching turned up nothing with such details so we assumed it had to be more of a straight replacement (thread titles are so important... my answer was probably buried somewhere in a thread with a random or sbscure title). We just decided to put it back together and find out for sure before we went further. Will call Hoppen today to see if there are any other parts needed to ensure we are ready next time we dig in.

BenA
April 22nd, 2010, 18:21
Just trying to make sure this thread turns into a good resource for others that might have the same questions I have. It sounds like consensus is to replace what is shown in this picture as the "transfer fuel pump" with the Bosch 044.

Hoppen says that no special brackets or electrical is needed, but that I need "a different fitting" and then they referred me to Ken at Tomas Motorsport, who might know what "different fitting" is needed but hasn't gotten back to me.

Anyone else know if other parts/fittings are required for this swap and what they might be?
Does the car need to go up on a lift (tank lowered?) to make this swap?

I just don't want to tear into it again without having the right parts (and know-how) to finish the job.

snoopra
April 22nd, 2010, 21:10
Can be done on a jack (supported of course). I'd like to know how you connect the electrical wiring as I'm not too keen to cutting/splicing wires. I'd like to get a spare plug from an old pump and wire it to the 044. Just my .02
These are the fittings Hoppen is taking about, can be bought on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSCH-044-COSWORTH-RS-INLET-FITTING-AND-OUTLET-BANJO-/150371553626?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2302d7d15a
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/snoopra/044audifittings.jpg

OEM vs 044
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/snoopra/DSC01823.jpg

BenA
April 22nd, 2010, 22:23
Can be done on a jack (supported of course). I'd like to know how you connect the electrical wiring as I'm not too keen to cutting/splicing wires. I'd like to get a spare plug from an old pump and wire it to the 044. Just my .02

Thanks for the info Snoopra - very helpful! Hopefully I can find these fittings stateside and don't have to wait for them to come from UK... I'll do some checking. Have you installed your fuel pump yet or are you waiting to figure out how to wire it?

snoopra
April 22nd, 2010, 22:59
Not installed as yet, still trying to figure the wiring out. The kit took about 10 days so not too long. The banjo fitting's easy to find in the US, not so for the inlet fitting. Grizz said he may have been able to get a wiring kit but it's difficult get him these days(UNIT20, business is good!)

ben916
April 22nd, 2010, 23:16
Thanks for the info Snoopra - very helpful! Hopefully I can find these fittings stateside and don't have to wait for them to come from UK... I'll do some checking. Have you installed your fuel pump yet or are you waiting to figure out how to wire it?

purchase a couple as I am sure others would like one when they are ready to upgrade, then you can save someone some time...

Just an idea

vangelis
July 24th, 2010, 19:24
guys, I have a question here please, Is it possible just to replace the OEM fuel pump with 044 high rated bosch fuel pump with no extra tune? mine already tuned for stage1 ABT for 510BHP. My fuel pump gone and dealer said 2-3 weeks just to get new one from germany, so i'm thinking to buy 044 bosch one online since am going to wait anyway!! anyone done the wiring or fiting kit can advice on that also?? best online store selling it?

snoopra
July 25th, 2010, 06:08
If you install the 044 pump, I would also suggest installing a 5bar FPR(fuel pressure regulator). You can get the fittings from the link above. Wiring kit, I have no idea where to get one (been searching for months, Grizz said he may know where to get it but haven't heard back). I don't want to cut OEM harness wires.

JSRS6
July 25th, 2010, 14:33
Just my .02c here...
It looks like the OEM plug on the pump side is just like every other 2 prong plug on our car, so i am assuming the same is true on the car side of this connection. So why not just go to the stealer and get a "replacement" plug that will fit, and crimp on two electrical fittings for the 044 pump? You dont have to cut the stock harness that way, and it looks clean.

snoopra
July 26th, 2010, 01:15
Just my .02c here...
It looks like the OEM plug on the pump side is just like every other 2 prong plug on our car, so i am assuming the same is true on the car side of this connection. So why not just go to the stealer and get a "replacement" plug that will fit, and crimp on two electrical fittings for the 044 pump? You dont have to cut the stock harness that way, and it looks clean.
Thanks JSRS6! I just noticed that this morning (0500hrs). Would you happen to know off hand which wire on the factory plug is the positive?:)

JSRS6
July 26th, 2010, 02:25
No, I don't. But it should be easy to figure out with a multimeter.

snoopra
July 26th, 2010, 03:14
No prob, will do (just being lazy:))