PDA

View Full Version : EPL ECU...huh?

Mikk23
April 21st, 2010, 18:18
So I recently purchased an RS6 and apparently it has an EPL ECU/chip. Anyone heard of this? I can't find anything about an RS6 EPL tune anywhere and I can't seem to get them on the phone.

Also...obviously a warranty comes highly recommended for any RS6 owner. Can I even purchase a warranty with this elusive EPL chip? Or would it be more or less...sure you can buy a warranty for $4500, but good luck making a claim...? Thanks for any input!

Christian-
April 21st, 2010, 20:39
I know EPL does RS6 tunes. I contacted them via email. You may want to shoot them an email and see what they say.

Who did you purchase the car from? Local RS6.com member?

Mikk23
April 22nd, 2010, 18:42
I managed to get them on the phone towards the end of the day yesterday. They do RS6 tunes but due to low demand don't advertise it. I purchased the car from a dealer in Colorado...the last owner was a forum member but it looks like the only posts he made were in effort to sell his car. So after many search queries I found a post describing McDonald Audi in CO having some of the most competitive warranty prices. The bad news...7700 dollars for a 4/48k fidelity platinum warranty on my 68k mile car. But that being said in the past two years I've spent double that between my A6 and S4 on various mechanical issues so...probably still worth my money and from what I've seen it will increase the value of my RS6.

So...before I take the plunge I'm hoping for some input. When I talked to the gentleman at EPL he said that it would be very hard for the dealer to notice their chip/tune because its a flash and unless they drove it and logged the boost it was making they would never notice. I'm going to cut and paste from the original seller's post:

All major expensive work just done:
- New timing belt done early @ ~59k miles
- New torque converter @ ~59k miles
- DRC replaced with Bilstien PSS9 setup @ ~54k miles
- New billet bypass valves
- brakes @ ~40k (i am told)
- intercoolers and turbos cleaned and checked at ~59k with clean bill of health
- worked on by reputable/expert RS6 shops ONLY (ASW - Bryan Lagas and Peak Eurosport - Ernie Devita)

Extras added:
- EPL ECU software ~515hp) ~59k miles
- Labree custom split downpipes @ ~ 59k miles
- Audi RNSE Navigation w/US disc: bluetooth and speakerphone for phone, Sirius radio integrated with stock shark fin, all professionally installed
- Hardwired for Valentine-1
- H-sport sway bars
- H&R spacers added
- legal 3M window tint

Will any of this keep me from getting a warranty? My main concerns are the Downpipes, ECU, and DRC removal/PSS9 setup, and H-sway bars. I'm afraid I'll get in a situation where they will take my 7700 bucks for the warranty and then deny my claims later due to the downpipes or something along those lines. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

DHall1
April 22nd, 2010, 18:51
Not worth 7700

Keep shopping

You may have issues suspension if Fidelity is purchased. They could say bushings are bad because coilovers were installed.

DP....should be ok.

Pat-what is your insurance? Zurich? Can you give some info.

Fidelity prices doubled this year.

I managed to get them on the phone towards the end of the day yesterday. They do RS6 tunes but due to low demand don't advertise it. I purchased the car from a dealer in Colorado...the last owner was a forum member but it looks like the only posts he made were in effort to sell his car. So after many search queries I found a post describing McDonald Audi in CO having some of the most competitive warranty prices. The bad news...7700 dollars for a 4/48k fidelity platinum warranty on my 68k mile car. But that being said in the past two years I've spent double that between my A6 and S4 on various mechanical issues so...probably still worth my money and from what I've seen it will increase the value of my RS6.

So...before I take the plunge I'm hoping for some input. When I talked to the gentleman at EPL he said that it would be very hard for the dealer to notice their chip/tune because its a flash and unless they drove it and logged the boost it was making they would never notice. I'm going to cut and paste from the original seller's post:

All major expensive work just done:
- New timing belt done early @ ~59k miles
- New torque converter @ ~59k miles
- DRC replaced with Bilstien PSS9 setup @ ~54k miles
- New billet bypass valves
- brakes @ ~40k (i am told)
- intercoolers and turbos cleaned and checked at ~59k with clean bill of health
- worked on by reputable/expert RS6 shops ONLY (ASW - Bryan Lagas and Peak Eurosport - Ernie Devita)

Extras added:
- EPL ECU software ~515hp) ~59k miles
- Labree custom split downpipes @ ~ 59k miles
- Audi RNSE Navigation w/US disc: bluetooth and speakerphone for phone, Sirius radio integrated with stock shark fin, all professionally installed
- Hardwired for Valentine-1
- H-sport sway bars
- H&R spacers added
- legal 3M window tint

Will any of this keep me from getting a warranty? My main concerns are the Downpipes, ECU, and DRC removal/PSS9 setup, and H-sway bars. I'm afraid I'll get in a situation where they will take my 7700 bucks for the warranty and then deny my claims later due to the downpipes or something along those lines. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Mikk23
April 22nd, 2010, 18:55
I have a good friend who works as a finance manager at a local nissan dealer...he said 50 bucks over cost for a 2 year 24k miles was 3300 through zurich. But that was the longest term he could get I guess :( I'm open to suggestions on a good aftermarket warranty to cover my ***

ben916
April 22nd, 2010, 19:59
I have a good friend who works as a finance manager at a local nissan dealer...he said 50 bucks over cost for a 2 year 24k miles was 3300 through zurich. But that was the longest term he could get I guess :( I'm open to suggestions on a good aftermarket warranty to cover my ***

from what I remember at the time of purchase of my aftermarket warranty - MILEAGE was key to the cost/purchase price.

Mikk23
April 22nd, 2010, 20:12
I assumed as much...which is why with 68k I'll pay a little more...I'm just trying to get ideas of my best options as far as companies and coverages go for what I have. Shopping around...trying to save a buck or too :) Anyone have experience with aftermarket warranties that could make a few recommendations?