PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio Issues

Holiday
April 21st, 2010, 07:14
Hello Gents,

Hoping there may be an XM guru here able to straighten me out. I've had a new RSN-E installed, along with at BT module and most recently, a replacement XM module (that I believe to be) compatible with the RSN-E system, vice the original Symphony head unit.

The part number of the XM module/tuner I bought is: 8E0057593A

While under the knife for the new DRC upgrade, I thought I'd have Hoehn Audi quickly install the new tuner as well, but they've been having a considerable amount of trouble getting it to work. They've even done troubleshooting with a representative from XM, and have still come up empty handed. When satellite radio is selected on the RSN-E, it simply plays 1 channel and does not allow switching between stations.

Any ideas as to a) if the unit purchased was the correct unit for the RSN-E, and b) if there are any additional items required to make XM work in the car?

Many thanks!

R

MaxRS6
April 21st, 2010, 12:13
That XM model number does not work with the RSN-E. You will need one that ends in the letter "E" in lieu of "A". This will correct the channel changin issue and no other parts or coding are required.

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5/Audi.BarryStuff.com._Audi_RS6_C5_Sirius_XM_Satelli te_Radio_DIY_Install.pdf

Holiday
April 21st, 2010, 15:06
Max- That's what I was afraid of! I was so enthusiastic about ECS's $39 deal on the XM modules that I didn't bother to ensure I had the right one... Many thanks for the help!

ben916
April 21st, 2010, 16:45
Kind of Off Topic BUT:
It seems there is a rash of bad parts/incompatible parts/incorrect parts coming from ECS...
Caveat Emport! But come on!

hahnmgh63
April 21st, 2010, 17:05
The unit you have does work with the Symphony radio and is the same unit that the cars with Satellite radio optioned from the factory came with back in the day but as many of us have upgraded to RNS-E the module need to be updated also as MaxRS6 said. For those wanting Sirius, that model is updated too, see below:

Satellite receiver module for this car (North American parts only):
�� 8E0 035 593/8E0 057 593 Sirius without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
�� 8E0 035 593 A/8E0 057 593 A XM without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
�� 8E0 035 593 D/8E0 057 593 D Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system ,works with Concert/Symphony as well
�� 8E0 035 593 E/8E0 057 593 E XM for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well

mmaturo
April 21st, 2010, 17:23
The unit you have does work with the Symphony radio and is the same unit that the cars with Satellite radio optioned from the factory came with back in the day but as many of us have upgraded to RNS-E the module need to be updated also as MaxRS6 said. For those wanting Sirius, that model is updated too, see below:

Satellite receiver module for this car (North American parts only):
�� 8E0 035 593/8E0 057 593 Sirius without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
�� 8E0 035 593 A/8E0 057 593 A XM without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
�� 8E0 035 593 D/8E0 057 593 D Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system ,works with Concert/Symphony as well
�� 8E0 035 593 E/8E0 057 593 E XM for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well

So in other words hang onto the one you bought to put in if you sell the car and put back in the original Symphony. It still has value to hang onto it.

Once you have the correct module it will work immediately with nothing else required other than calling XM. Plug and play.

hahnmgh63
April 21st, 2010, 17:39
That's right, the new module is plug & play, you just need to call XM or Sirius to give them the new module i.d. which should come up in the display.

Christian-
April 21st, 2010, 20:43
Kind of Off Topic BUT:
It seems there is a rash of bad parts/incompatible parts/incorrect parts coming from ECS...
Caveat Emport! But come on!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy anything from ECS.

Holiday
April 22nd, 2010, 04:29
Really appreciate the help, fellas. Now, any idea where I can buy either a:

8E0 035 593 E
or
8E0 057 593 E

???

ben916
April 22nd, 2010, 07:41
Really appreciate the help, fellas. Now, any idea where I can buy either a:

8E0 035 593 E
or
8E0 057 593 E

???

OK, you no gonna like.............

Ebay search returned a link to ECS....
Clicked on link "product has been superseded with " link below...
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search_VW/ES435860/ES435860/

Holiday
April 23rd, 2010, 02:19
You're right! No likeee. But, sadly they've got the lowest price that I've been able to find. AND, unlike the dealer, they'll allow the module to be returned in the event that the "G" model doesn't work with my setup. I've got one on the way, and my wallet is nearly $500 lighter.....ahhhh the RS6.

OK, you no gonna like.............

Ebay search returned a link to ECS....
Clicked on link "product has been superseded with " link below...
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search_VW/ES435860/ES435860/

Holiday
May 12th, 2010, 20:12
That XM model number does not work with the RSN-E. You will need one that ends in the letter "E" in lieu of "A". This will correct the channel changin issue and no other parts or coding are required.

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5/Audi.BarryStuff.com._Audi_RS6_C5_Sirius_XM_Satelli te_Radio_DIY_Install.pdf

Max- Really appreciate the link. Installed my new "G" XM module yesterday afternoon without a hitch. The install couldn't be easier thanks to this instruction.
The XM in the car is strange- most channels are crystal clear, but some are more "muffled" than others...? Otherwise, the RSN-E does a fine job of supporting XM in the car- maybe a little slow on the station tuning, but that isn't unlike other XM vehicles I've owned. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with the RSN-E addition over the past two years. It updates the car functionally, and aesthetically. Now if I can just get my Bluetooth module functioning, I'll be all set!

Holiday
May 12th, 2010, 20:18
Also- important note for those considering the addition of XM radio with their RSN-E: XM module part numbers 8E0 035 593 E and 8E0 057 593 E are no longer current. The correct (current) part number is: 8E0 035 593G
For reference, I purchased mine for ~$450 from ECS which is nearly the same price as the Audi dealer. Don't know that you'll find a cheaper price... (and don't tell me if you do!)

ben916
May 12th, 2010, 20:23
Also- important note for those considering the addition of XM radio with their RSN-E: XM module part numbers 8E0 035 593 E and 8E0 057 593 E are no longer current. The correct (current) part number is: 8E0 035 593G
For reference, I purchased mine for ~$450 from ECS which is nearly the same price as the Audi dealer. Don't know that you'll find a cheaper price... (and don't tell me if you do!)

don't make me search for you.... :)