PDA

View Full Version : RS6 suspension

kelvinwo
April 18th, 2010, 05:09
Any recommendation on suspension kit for my 2002 RS6? I have replaced the original with a set of Bilstein PSS coilover kit, but the ride is terrible on Hong Kong roads. A friend recommended me to try KW Variant 3 coilovers, anyone have tried them? any other suggestion?

Mr Balsen
April 18th, 2010, 05:24
KW for sure !!!!

vangelis
April 18th, 2010, 13:54
KW all the way, I got them 2 weeks ago ,, WOOOW

kelvinwo
April 18th, 2010, 18:12
good even on bumpy roads? roads are nice and flat in dubai...

RS6Steve
April 18th, 2010, 18:29
I have PSS9's and are fully adjistable on the car, without drilling holes loke the KWv3's. They are perfect for UK roads

kelvinwo
April 19th, 2010, 08:04
KW V3 need to drill holes?

RS6Steve
April 19th, 2010, 08:20
I believe, only if you want to adjust them after fitting, without taking them off.

ben916
April 19th, 2010, 16:42
I believe, only if you want to adjust them after fitting, without taking them off.

There is a DIY for the holes written by Headshot. Very clean and looks stock...

STM
April 20th, 2010, 00:26
Have you tried to set up the ride height?
From my experience it's more important for real bumpy roads than shock adjustment.
The higher you car sits - the springs shorter - the ride worse :(
So if you're on stock height - it's nightmare compared to DRC.
So, get low :)

I don't think that KW or other coilovers will be significantly better.

V8weight
April 20th, 2010, 01:21
Have you tried to set up the ride height?
From my experience it's more important for real bumpy roads than shock adjustment.
The higher you car sits - the springs shorter - the ride worse :(
So if you're on stock height - it's nightmare compared to DRC.
So, get low :)

I don't think that KW or other coilovers will be significantly better.
I believe your logic is flawed. The coil springs will always measure the same predetermined height at load regardless of the height setting of the car. That's how the coilovers work. You are basically just moving the spring perch up or down, the spring height stays the same. You are correct however that he probably wouldn't see an improvement after switching to the KW's. I would say just try readjusting the rebound and dampening on your Pss9's to suite your desired ride comfort. I have the KW's, and I cannot imagine that they are any more forgiving than the PSS9's.

MaxRS6
April 20th, 2010, 01:58
^+1 about the KW's. I certainly am glad to be rid of the DRC as I've posted numerously- I have them set on the factory recommended setting and they are quite firm. I like how it feels with hardly any bounce. However; to not feel the road you might want to consider one of these...;0

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/flying-car-front.jpg

STM
April 20th, 2010, 18:01
I can say it from my experience only.
When I adjusted its ride height for the first time, my left side ended 1 cm lower than the right side due to my unexperience.
And it's really noticable on speed bumps for example. Right one simply couldn't "consume" that bump. Left one was ok. When I lowered right side it's began to behave properly.
Can you explain your opinion with some pics? In the process of adjustment it was clearly for me that higher I go the shorter the spring was.

PS Actually the problem with PSS only appears with speed bumps, bridge spacers, etc. Sharp bump that comes to the both front wheels.
All other suspension work it does quite good.