PDA

View Full Version : RS5 or keep the gen 2 C4s?

Bobbersmill
April 16th, 2010, 11:31
I had my name down for an RS5 back in 2008/9 but decided I couldnt wait any longer so went ahead and bought a manual generation 2 997 C4s. Its a fantastic car and I dont really want to get rid of it but the reality is that we tend to use our X5 at weekends (9 month old child etc). We have car seats and prams that fit in the C4s but its just easier to chuck things in the X5.
Im sure we will use it more as he gets older but I feel that a slightly larger Coupe will allow us to take the larger pram and associated bits a little more easily and maybe my wife will drive it with Stronic (C4s is manual).
The big question is will the RS5 be dynamically better than my C4s?
Opinions please.

Erik
April 16th, 2010, 12:34
The RS5 will definetly be a better family oriented car. And probably as fast, but perhaps not up to the full sportiness ofh te 911.

Bobbersmill
April 16th, 2010, 14:40
The RS5 will definetly be a better family oriented car. And probably as fast, but perhaps not up to the full sportiness ofh te 911.

Yes, I think you are right. Im not a fan of the plastics used in my old B7 Rs4 and the S5 interior plastics look similar, I would certainly miss the leather covered dash and doors of the 997.
At the moment im not convinced about the looks of the RS5, I need to see it in the flesh as it looks a bit lame in the pictures. Daytonna grey and black optics would look nice.

Fab
April 16th, 2010, 21:00
The 997 C4S mkII is a fantastic car and I would buy it tomorrow without considering any other options if I did not have 2 children and a dog... and I seems you are now in the same position.

You can fit the children but nothing else as luggages or stuff even for a short week end and this, to me at least, is to restrictive so the RS5 or equivalent (M3, C63, GT-R, etc.) is my world for choice (with big bias for RS5 for the time being).

If I would be you and since you already own this fantastic car, I would only consider a concrete switch if the RS5 meets all (objective) expectations all of us (enthusiastics) can reasonably hope for, with the right obviously to be quite demanding.

Just continue to enjoy your Porsche and wait for full infos, specs, and tests to really concretely feel what the RS5 can deliver to you (excepted more space).

All the best

Fab

Fab
July 12th, 2010, 19:32
The 997 C4S mkII is a fantastic car and I would buy it tomorrow without considering any other options if I did not have 2 children and a dog... Well... I just made a contradictory decision on Saturday : C4S mkI, PSE, short shift, etc... Delivery July 27th :love: :incar: :revs:

Great opportunity at a very interesting price from Porsche dealer !!! Will share more in due course.

Fab

Ruergard
July 12th, 2010, 22:09
Well... I just made a contradictory decision on Saturday : C4S mkI, PSE, short shift, etc... Delivery July 27th :love: :incar: :revs:

Great opportunity at a very interesting price from Porsche dealer !!! Will share more in due course.

Fab

Well hello! :D

Ritchy
July 12th, 2010, 22:28
Hi fab !

Congratulations....does that mean your RS5 project is in standby ?

Amazing choice. I like this.

youry
July 12th, 2010, 22:30
Well... I just made a contradictory decision on Saturday : C4S mkI, PSE, short shift, etc... Delivery July 27th :love: :incar: :revs:

Fab

does not make sense indeed.

Fab
July 12th, 2010, 22:49
I saw the car on tue, my wife on wed, test drive on fri and I signed on sat. Porsche has always been a strong attraction (started from my father when I was a child) and this was a great opportunity. The car is amaizing and the PSE noise fantastic.

Since I have an ML for the family it is finally a good combination. I might also keep my fiat 500 Abarth opening edition (bought after I sold the RS4).

Audi will always be a future choice but for now I am going to enjoy the flat 6...

By the way I fixed my RS5 test drive for next wed 21. I will cancel it for now...

I am very happy about my choice and will share it with you guys in due course.

I have been fighting all evening to win an auction on a car plate ending 911 :-)) and I succeded. It will be the final touch !

Cheers

Fab

youry
July 12th, 2010, 22:54
By the way I fixed my RS5 test drive for next wed 21. I will cancel it for now...

it is a wise idea as if not you would have probably realised you had made a questionable choice. In the last two weeks I have had very close friends who have owned the RS4 V8 an,d have tried the RS5 and told me that it is rally miuch different and not only a small evolution. so now I am really desperate to get it for sure...

engien revs very quickly (much quicker than RS4 V8, never stop getting power till red line. Stronic is perfect. power is there now...Etc....

really hope you will not regret your choice

Fab
July 12th, 2010, 23:06
Absolutely no doubt ! And the power and sensations are there as well... As there is no doubt the RS5 is a great car. Each one with its own characteristics.

I do not cancel my test drive being afraid of have made a mistake but for being fair with my Audi dealer I know for more than 10y.

All in all I really needed to get something "new" and Porsche is a myth which I really want to experience. The drive I have had is more than enough to be thrilled by this car.

Hope you will accept me if few of us meet in the future ;-)

Ritchy
July 12th, 2010, 23:12
Fab, if you're happy with it.....it's the good choice.

And you know, a RS5 is not the better car for a complete family + dog. It seems there is much more place in the rear of a RS4.

So enjoy your new toy !

Fab
July 12th, 2010, 23:20
Thanks Ritchy.

Finally the family issue is not a real problem since all extended vacations are handled by the ML. And my dog is small :-)

The Porsche will be my daily/week end car (also got winter tires) and for resonable drives children fit.

On top of all I have been without sport car for almost 2 years which adds to my joy and impatience.

I am a very happy man.

youry
July 13th, 2010, 01:25
Hope you will accept me if few of us meet in the future ;-)

of course.... i am just playing around with you no issues...

Bobbersmill
July 13th, 2010, 21:43
Thanks Ritchy.

Finally the family issue is not a real problem since all extended vacations are handled by the ML. And my dog is small :-)

The Porsche will be my daily/week end car (also got winter tires) and for resonable drives children fit.

On top of all I have been without sport car for almost 2 years which adds to my joy and impatience.

I am a very happy man.
Congratulations on the C4s, they are superb cars and I just love getting in mine. Im still struggling to find a picture of the RS5 that would make me want one, unfortunatley the more I see the less impressive it looks and I actually prefer the look of the M3, sorry. I shall still take a drive and see if it ignites something inside as I never wanted an RS4 but as soon as I drove one I had to have one.

Fab
July 13th, 2010, 21:57
Thanks and good luck for your choice nice cars both of them but C4S rules ;-)

Ritchy
July 13th, 2010, 22:16
I was also upset with the RS5 pictures until i saw one in a german dealer last month. Very, very, very impressive. Any photo can show how it is in reality.

Very curious, but the rear seems to be the less impressive side of the RS5.

Fab, sorry for the poor photoshop (done in 2,78 sec !), that's my final configuration. Hope to travel in switzerland this winter, if you have one hour, i would be happy with a couple of pictures of our two cars....

:bye:

Fab
July 14th, 2010, 08:45
Very nice Ritchy and your delivery is slowly coming closer... Definitely let me know if you come nearby.

Best

Fab

Bobbersmill
July 14th, 2010, 10:58
When looking at some pictures the rear blistered arches look more like a standard S5 arches but with a subtle crease to make the appeareance that they are blistered. The fronts you can tell are more prominent.
I would have liked to see a more distinguishable flared rear arch.
Having driven the M3 I just could not get excited enough to buy one.

Fab
July 14th, 2010, 11:30
If the M3 did not excited you enough Then I dont think RS5 will as the M3 is a more involving/rewarding car to drive. This on a pure fun factor. Of course the RS has other strenght that we all know... Depends what you are looking for

What about a Panamera turbo :-)

Ruergard
July 14th, 2010, 14:36
Great choice Fab. Fantastic car with that special Porsche feeling. I'm looking forward to pics and some more posting from you. ;) :thumb:

Congratulations!

Bobbersmill
July 14th, 2010, 14:58
If the M3 did not excited you enough Then I dont think RS5 will as the M3 is a more involving/rewarding car to drive. This on a pure fun factor. Of course the RS has other strenght that we all know... Depends what you are looking for

What about a Panamera turbo :-)
Dont get me wrong the M3 is a good car but it had things wrong that I instantly noticed like bad seating position and inferior looking interior plastics. It did handle so much better than my old RS4 though.
Panermera Turbo is out of my price range but I have driven the Panermera S and that was a cracking car but not my cup of tea.
If I get in the RS5 and have that same feeling I had when I stepped into my old RS4 then im sure I will have one but by getting the C4s its raised my expectations somewhat.

Fab
July 14th, 2010, 17:54
Great choice Fab. Fantastic car with that special Porsche feeling. I'm looking forward to pics and some more posting from you. ;) :thumb:

Congratulations!thanks a lot. Will post for shure... 10 more days to wait.

Ciao

Fab

Fab
July 26th, 2010, 20:04
Delivery is scheduled for.... tomorrow 5:00pm :wo::wo::wo::wo::wo::wo::wo:

Will share more in due course...

Happy man, happy man, happy man.... :jlol::jlol::jlol:

Lmg
July 26th, 2010, 20:36
Congratulations! :)

Eagerly waiting for some photos ;)

Fab
July 27th, 2010, 23:38
How shall I start ? I have no idea ??? This car is just amaizing, fantastic, stunning, insane... just THE GT benchmark, nothing else to say : look, architecture, feeling, flat 6, hanlding, etc, etc.

I need to discover the beast step by step but I already can say for shure that it will be VERY difficult to switch brand once you try/own a 911.

What a car, what a unique feeling, simply fantastic :heart::bow::heart::bow:

Some poor quality pics :

Ritchy
July 27th, 2010, 23:59
Congratulations !!!! very nice car.

Lmg
July 28th, 2010, 00:21
Congratulations!!!

Have a lot of fun with it! :)

Fab
July 28th, 2010, 09:00
Thanks guys... I will for shure ! I now have to get use to it which will take some time.

Cheers

Fab

youry
July 28th, 2010, 10:38
I need to discover the beast step by step but I already can say for shure that it will be VERY difficult to switch brand once you try/own a 911.

I had 2 porschs 911. incl a turbo (996 TT).

and sure perforamnce wise it is better.... difficult to beat a 996 TT else than a 997 TT of course...

but I enjoyed the overall package of the RS4 V8 better. à 911 is a tricky car chassis wise and i hate that. i never felt 100% safe. not enough weight on the front. adn at high speeds the front is very unstable. you can feel it. of course for the sames reasons when you brake that is perfect and audi cannto be close to that braking feeling.

but at 300 Km/h with an RS car you feel safe.

so unless you are a really good pilot to master a porsche. be carefull and enjoy your car. the 997 have improved a bit VS 996 of course. but the weight issue will always be there with à 911 rear engine config. unavoidable.

Fab
July 28th, 2010, 15:07
Porsche has indeed a very unique/specific weight distribution which is part of the myth. Each buyer must know that and learn how to deal with it, no doubt (unless you just want to cruise around which is not my type...). Most of car enthusiastics love this set up but of course some do not.

With the 997 model 911s are much more "accessible" though : the light front feeling and the "all in the back behaviour" has been considerably enhanced compared to past models (and even more with the mkII). But all in all this is the "Gen" that make a 911 drive so unique.

From my side. some track trainings are in the pipeline to get it better. This is for (me at least) a logical step.

The specific Porsche config has always had and will always have its fans and its "anti". Each one has to know what he wants.

I was close to get a 997 TT but wanted to go for the aspirated flat 6 and PSE noise rather than the "TGV" feel and unbeetable power. Maybe next one...

For me top speed is irelevant. What I want is the best immediate (daily) special feeling and driving impression a car can provide. And for a 365 days sport car difficult to find better IMO.

The engine feel on your back, the unique flat 6 noise and responsivness enhanced on demand by the PSE button is just a MUST. Fantastic adaptative seats, steering feel, perfect (short shift) gearbox, etc... I stop here. My first true sport (GT) car.

I am totally thrilled by this car. I could not have made a better choice even vs a 997 mkII more linear and inferior PSE. I stop here I do not want to bother you guys :-)))

Bottom line for my personal taste is that there is no match with my former RS4 and shurely no match with the RS5. This is of course my personal taste.

I hope Youry, Ritchy and Co. you will love what the RS5 will offer you so that we will all be happy men driving great cars. Let us hope this will be possible for another llllooooooonnnnngggg time.

Best

Fab

youry
July 28th, 2010, 16:18
the most important for sure is that you are a happy man.... the rest who cares right

Ruergard
July 28th, 2010, 20:21
Once again, big congratulations Fab. The 911 looks superb and is a fantastic car to drive for sure. Keep pics and impressions comming! :thumb:

Fab
September 7th, 2010, 20:47
Some impressions and feedback after slightly more than a month of 911 ownership :

First of all the shape of the car is just stunning. Agressive and eternal, a true GT, the first one for me. The C4S and its wider body, low ride together with the sport exhaust and 305/30/19 tires makes it an awsome package.

The interior is purely Porsche specific : the left key of course, the superposition of the gauges and speedo, the seats, the full leather cockpit, etc make it so special, so unique.

The engine/gear box/steering : simply the best ever combination I have experienced (an undisputed reference of course) but truly fantastic. I mean everything is so precise and the quicker you go the better the entire mechanical set up rewards you with precision and perfect reaction. This really shows the decades of engineering on that 911 myth. The engine is very smooth on easy driving and in the city and turns into a complete animal from 5000 rpm up to the readline. A pure TTkick at 5000rpm and a fantastic and unic flat 6 noise !!!! I have the short shift which is a must to have. A bit hard until the whole pacakge gets on temperature, but then it is paradise. Steering is precise and smooth enough. I am (re)learning to grab it properly at almost anytime as the car must be handled with care when driving harder.

I like the normal PSE mode which makes the 911 discrete and easy going. With PSE ON the sound is insane and almost everyone is looking at you which in the city is not really my cup of tea. PSE is ideal when driving around for your pleasure on twisty roads or on a more sporty/hard core mode as it sharpens throttle and releases a bit the PSM as well.

I got 2 Porsche baby seats in the back from day one and children (2,8 years old) feat perfectly. Few w-e ago we all went to our moutain flat (1.5 hour drive) and it went well. The boot is enough for reasonable daily/w-e needs.

I have ordered a second set of wheels "Sport Design" that will be fitted next week with my summer tires. My Carrera S wheels (from the above pictures) will get my new winter tires. They will also welcome some more track oriented rubbers soon for some track days.

I am simply in love with this fantastic GT car and will for shure get some/many more in the future. This is of course forward looking and will first enjoy 150% my current C4S as much as I can. There is so much left to discover, to learn and to enjoy. Especially I want to fully get the "all in the back" dynamic characteristics and master it as much as I can. Once achieved it will be pure sex :jlol:

I am a bit lazy on new better quality pics. Will handle this once the new wheels are fitted.

Drawbacks ? few details such as PASM could be a bit better (which seems to be on mkII), rain detector a bit sleepy (maybe to be reset), more power (as usual always want more = next one probably a 911 TT but with some sport exhaust... or GT3 if I become track addict soon...), parking sensor available in the front (not essential but used to it...).

Cheers,

Fab

Lmg
September 7th, 2010, 23:00
Thanks for the feedback, Fab!

That was interesting to read. :)