PDA

View Full Version : RS6 front discs and pads - fourth time lucky?!?!?

RS6richard
April 12th, 2010, 18:58
I have an '05 RS6 with FASH and 55K on the clock.
I had new discs and pads all round fitted by Audi. This was to replace a full set that had covered 14K (previous owner fitted these), but that had started to cause vibration under braking.
Car has just gone back in, and Audi will fit the fourth set of front discs and pads as they only last about 2K miles before the discs warp and the vibration returns. I am at my wits end with this car, Audi are doing this under warranty but clearly something is wrong here. They say the hubs and calipers are not out of alignment, they also claim to have followed the bedding in procedure. I drive this car as a daily commuter and with the history of brake issues I have been REALLY careful.

So, this is a plea to all you, what is going on with this car??

Many thanks,

Richard

ben916
April 12th, 2010, 19:10
I have an '05 RS6 with FASH and 55K on the clock.
I had new discs and pads all round fitted by Audi. This was to replace a full set that had covered 14K (previous owner fitted these), but that had started to cause vibration under braking.
Car has just gone back in, and Audi will fit the fourth set of front discs and pads as they only last about 2K miles before the discs warp and the vibration returns. I am at my wits end with this car, Audi are doing this under warranty but clearly something is wrong here. They say the hubs and calipers are not out of alignment, they also claim to have followed the bedding in procedure. I drive this car as a daily commuter and with the history of brake issues I have been REALLY careful.

So, this is a plea to all you, what is going on with this car??

Many thanks,

Richard

I picked up my car with 36k on the clock and the prior owner (via reading the service history) chewed up 4 sets also.
The current set, with 38k on the clock, are toast, not warped but just bad...

maybe aftermarket is the way to go?

Hy Octane
April 12th, 2010, 19:20
Audi has a nasty habit of trying to blame the driver for their lack of product knowledge..Drive it like you want to and dont let them get out of fixing it as many times as it takes to get it right. Remember, even though we know this car is supposed to be a street legal race car, the dealers still think of it as a luxury sports car and will try and tell you that you are driving it too hard and this is causing the warping.. They are always ready to blame you for their lack of brains..Be tough, act tough and accept no excuses.

4everRS
April 12th, 2010, 20:10
If the wheels lugs aren't torqued properly, it could cause a premature warping issue. The dealer should know this however and be using a torque wrench - not just the impact gun.

?? very odd

Bigglezworth
April 13th, 2010, 02:56
Nose heavy cars will always consume front brakes quicker than the average car. Also, remember this braking system is designed to stop a car from the HIGH speeds it can attain. That necessitates braking designs that have more metal in the pads and as a result will increase wear and tear for those of us braking as part of day to day city driving. There is no fault of the design IMO. It's just a fact of owning a car with this design.

Aronis
April 13th, 2010, 04:17
My car has 97000 miles. I got 48000 miles out of the first set of front rotors (changed under warrantee) and just did the changed them again at 96,000 miles. I measured the rotor thickness and I had about 1 mm to go on the set I changed recently. For pads, if I recall correctly, I got about 30,000 miles per set (I'll have to check my records at home).

So your car is eating the rotors abnormally and they should very well be able to figure out why!!
I drive my car every day, all weather, all hours, as it was ment to be driven! I have never had an issue of rotor warping, simply wearing out.

The rear rotors are still the orginals and have plenty of life left in them.

Looking forward to hearing the final true answer to your brake problem.

Mike

LIRS6
April 13th, 2010, 04:32
3rd set of front rotors at about 75k .. something is not right with your car. Maybe as4everRS suggested.

4everRS
April 13th, 2010, 04:32
Wow! Those are long intervals Mike. Nice. Do you happen to remember what the thickness' were when you removed them?

My car has 97000 miles. I got 48000 miles out of the first set of front rotors (changed under warrantee) and just did the changed them again at 96,000 miles. I measured the rotor thickness and I had about 1 mm to go on the set I changed recently. For pads, if I recall correctly, I got about 30,000 miles per set (I'll have to check my records at home).

So your car is eating the rotors abnormally and they should very well be able to figure out why!!
I drive my car every day, all weather, all hours, as it was ment to be driven! I have never had an issue of rotor warping, simply wearing out.

The rear rotors are still the orginals and have plenty of life left in them.

Looking forward to hearing the final true answer to your brake problem.

Mike

BLITZEN
August 11th, 2010, 07:59
I measured the rotor thickness and I had about 1 mm to go on the set I changed recently.

Aronis,
How do you know how much you have to go on rotors? In other words, what is the minimum thickness of the rotors front and rear? And where did you get that info?
THANKS!

hahnmgh63
August 11th, 2010, 14:16
I've got 40K out of this set of rotors although the pads were switched to EBC after 10K. The rotors should have been changed at about 35K but I was trying to decide whether to upgrade the stock rotors or not. I finally decided on stock rotors but with the Phaeton brake ducts as I already had a full spare set of rotors. Took about 4 months for my Phaeton kit to get here but it just showed up yesterday so I'll be doing my brakes in the next week or so finally.

DHall1
August 11th, 2010, 15:01
+1 on the Phaeton ducts.

Dont leave home without them. EBC reds and Phaeton ducts are the perfect setup.

I've got 40K out of this set of rotors although the pads were switched to EBC after 10K. The rotors should have been changed at about 35K but I was trying to decide whether to upgrade the stock rotors or not. I finally decided on stock rotors but with the Phaeton brake ducts as I already had a full spare set of rotors. Took about 4 months for my Phaeton kit to get here but it just showed up yesterday so I'll be doing my brakes in the next week or so finally.

BLITZEN
August 11th, 2010, 16:41
Again, what are the measurements to know if you can still turn your rotors or not?

DHall1
August 11th, 2010, 16:57
Stamped on each one of your rotors. I think you can see them thru the spoke holes. ~30mm

Again, what are the measurements to know if you can still turn your rotors or not?

ben916
August 11th, 2010, 18:33

4 months!!!! WHA?!?!?!
I was hoping to hear back about this and good thing you commented.

peiserg
August 11th, 2010, 18:40
that really sucks about your braking situation... i can't help other than relate my first set easily gave me 30k miles, and had some bite left. that was with MANY runs beyond 150mph and back down to 60...

I went with the "Jimmy" group buy a couple years back. my next rotor change will set me back about $200 total i think.

hahnmgh63
August 11th, 2010, 19:09
Yea Ben, I guess Grizz was having some problems at the shop, I really had to cut down on my driving the RS6 to extend the brakes awhile. I didn't want to do the brakes and then go back a few weeks or even months later to do the ducts so I just put off the brake job, the EBC pads still had life but the rotors are grooved and some hairline cracks at some of the cross drilled holes.

ben916
August 11th, 2010, 19:15
Yea Ben, I guess Grizz was having some problems at the shop, I really had to cut down on my driving the RS6 to extend the brakes awhile. I didn't want to do the brakes and then go back a few weeks or even months later to do the ducts so I just put off the brake job, the EBC pads still had life but the rotors are grooved and some hairline cracks at some of the cross drilled holes.

I thought he was moving shops?!?

Cut down? psssfffttt!!! I just let the wife drive it and then "Congress" opens the purse strings RIGHT up!
I would like the Phaetons also but don't want to wait 4 months... (zip it Dave!)

DHall1
August 11th, 2010, 19:30
Did I say anything? hehe

Just take your stock backing plates off for now. Its not like you drive down any gravel roads. 4 bolts and the plates come right off.

You still dont have your pads installed? hehe

I thought he was moving shops?!?

Cut down? psssfffttt!!! I just let the wife drive it and then "Congress" opens the purse strings RIGHT up!
I would like the Phaetons also but don't want to wait 4 months... (zip it Dave!)

JRS-RS6
August 11th, 2010, 23:33
I was wanting to do the Phaetons too and my e-mails went unanswered still interested but just too busy to follow up right now.

Aronis
August 12th, 2010, 02:06
Sorry I never caught the questions on thickness spec. I found them somewhere. I'd have to look again. But if I recall it was a delta of about three millimeters from new to done!!

I had them measured by dealer the first time. I then checked with a caliper as time went on.

Mike

Sorry about the delay!!

ben916
August 12th, 2010, 07:43
Did I say anything? hehe

Just take your stock backing plates off for now. Its not like you drive down any gravel roads. 4 bolts and the plates come right off.

You still dont have your pads installed? hehe

You didn't have ta... I could just feel ya via RS6.com... :)
Anywho, they still work as I was zipping along at triple digits and fookin' Prius decided, for no reason at all, that they wanted to change lanes and move right.
Triple digits to 60 was executed safely, along with the bird...

I didn't mention that I was passing on the right... :)

BLITZEN
August 13th, 2010, 22:43
stamped on each one of your rotors. I think you can see them thru the spoke holes. ~30mm

thank you!