PDA

View Full Version : You Probably won't like this, But!

Elevens
April 10th, 2010, 02:07
I have been driving Turbo-Charged cars for over 25 Years now. And I feel completely naked with out a Boost Gauge. Why Audi would produce such a high performance sedan with out one eludes me. Any way since no one has come up with an affordable viable solution, I have stuck a VDO mechanical boost on my A-pillar. I know its not the best looking setup, but I cannot do with out one. I have merely mounted it and ran the line to the engine compartment. I am not yet sure as to were as to which line I am going to tap into yet. Any suggestions would be welcome. The only 2 lines I can think of are the N75 boost controller line or the Fuel pressure regulator line. If any body knows any other possibility please let me know. Thanks........................

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Boost%20Gauge/P1000933.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Boost%20Gauge/P1000937.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Boost%20Gauge/P1000941.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Boost%20Gauge/P1000943.jpg

DHall1
April 10th, 2010, 05:15
You are correct. We are going to kill you.

j/k

If you want gauges put a DEFI red right on the steering column. The lights will match the dash and any number of vendors make cups that will cover the gauge back and stand.

Not a fan of screwing a bracket on the pillar and leaving the bracket open.

And I have only been driving boost for 20 years. Just a rookie

hahnmgh63
April 10th, 2010, 05:55
http://img.ecstuning.com/product_library/6379/300/VP%20(Vent%20Pod)%20%20Boost%20Gauge%20Kit.jpgWhat s the matter wtih this gauge?

GEN XER
April 10th, 2010, 06:21
http://img.ecstuning.com/product_library/6379/300/VP%20(Vent%20Pod)%20%20Boost%20Gauge%20Kit.jpgWhat s the matter wtih this gauge?

Not a thing. It looks great. I would go with this one. Where can it be found Hahn?

SAF
April 10th, 2010, 06:50
You could have at least mounted it so that butt ugly bracket was hidden behind the guage couldn't you?

hahnmgh63
April 10th, 2010, 14:39
The pic I posted was off ECS tunings website but AWE makes a kit too. And recently someone posted a similar mount they did here on the list. I just found a set of central vents on Ebay for fairly cheap about a month ago so I purchased them with the same idea. Most of the kits list for an A4 but the vents are about the same size, you will need to carefully cut the hole yourself, that is why I bought the extra vent in case I screw it up. I have a similar setup in my tt which I really like, the question is do you go for the smaller vent on the drivers side or one of the larger central vents? You will still get flow out of the vents when they are on but obviously the flow out of the smaller outside vent will be cut more. There are also small round electronic boost gauges out there that only need a couple of small wires instead of the larger boost/vacuum hose.

Elevens
April 10th, 2010, 15:09
You are correct. We are going to kill you.

j/k

If you want gauges put a DEFI red right on the steering column. The lights will match the dash and any number of vendors make cups that will cover the gauge back and stand.

Not a fan of screwing a bracket on the pillar and leaving the bracket open.

And I have only been driving boost for 20 years. Just a rookie

Yea the bracket does suck. But until a better A pillar solution comes up. I will stick to this. Supremepower used to modify the A-pillar if you sent it to them. They would incoroporate a pod into it matching the color and material of the A-pillar. looked pretty nice. Unfortunately they no longer provide this service any more. I not really a fan of vent mount gauges, which is why I have not persued that rout. So this is it for now.

hahnmgh63: What line did you tap the boost gauge into. Would like to know thanks.....

Amulet-S6
April 10th, 2010, 15:20
{Sheepishly raising hand} Why would I even care to know the boost level? I rarely look at any of the gauges. I don't care about the rpm's or mph. Once or twice a year I look at the oil temp... I just drive. Jim

JRS-RS6
April 10th, 2010, 16:58
I am thinking about a LED setup in dash cupholder. Anyone seen anything that would work for that?

DHall1
April 10th, 2010, 17:05
We dont need no stinking gauges. Who needs gauges.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/Baby-Boomers-too-old-to-drive-photo.jpg?t=1270915408

We can smoke 99.3% of the cars on the road today. Short of a drag car on the street. And do it in the comfort of rich.....well just watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o

V8weight
April 10th, 2010, 17:10
We dont need no stinking gauges. Who needs gauges.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/Baby-Boomers-too-old-to-drive-photo.jpg?t=1270915408
I second that. I don't understand the need for a boost gauge. When I feel that the car isn't performing, I just run a log on the VAG. The gauge isn't going to help identify a problem anyhow.

SAF
April 10th, 2010, 17:26
Apparently Ricardo's "demands" on the highway were to ride a couch.

DHall1
April 10th, 2010, 17:29
I was laughing so hard. I think he is driving on the Mulholland route we use.

Brilliant.

Apparently Ricardo's "demands" on the highway were to ride a couch.

SAF
April 10th, 2010, 17:33
Hey, no one rolls "Cordoba" or makes a made up term like "Corinthian Leather" sound more appealing than Ricardo.

JRS-RS6
April 10th, 2010, 19:39
Found!

I knew I had this somewhere: http://www.impconcepts.com/audis4boostgauge25psi.htm

SAF
April 10th, 2010, 21:48
That is about the coolest app ever. I never wanted or needed a boost guage, but I want that! LOL!

cmore
April 10th, 2010, 22:01
You could have done a vent install like I did on mine: http://motorsports.chrismore.com/2009/12/audi-rs-6-boost-gauge-install.html Creating the custom vent pod required quite a bit of work, but it worked out fine in the end.

RS6Driver
April 10th, 2010, 23:08
Oh wow... can't believe how bad that looks.

Elevens
April 11th, 2010, 00:52
Apparently a few of you aren't fans of Boost gauges. Well I for one would not be with out one. They are very informative especially if you are chipped. Why would you not want to know how much boost over stock you are running, and what you maximum boost is? Some of you don't care, well I do. And also It doubles as a Vacuum gauge, which not only shows vacuum issues if it deviates from the norm(approx 20in hg) but also enables me to drive more economically when I desire. The more vacuum I pull at a certain speed the less fuel I am consuming. As a matter of fact I was running my A6 2.7t at highway speeds the other day, nailed it and noticed the power just quite was not there. Quick look at the boost gauge and noticed the boost did not exceed 5psi. My maximum boost after the GIAC flash is usually around 17psi. I suspected the N75, shook it up a bit and all is well. Ask any serious Turbo Driver if a boost gauge is necessary, and I am sure they will tell you yes. So for those of you who don't think so, well I guess your just not serious enough. MTM chipped my ECU about a month ago. Sure the additional power is there but I for one would like to know how much additional boost I am running, and have instant access to such info at any time with out having to resort to the VAG.

JRS-RS6
April 11th, 2010, 01:32
You could have done a vent install like I did on mine: http://motorsports.chrismore.com/2009/12/audi-rs-6-boost-gauge-install.html Creating the custom vent pod required quite a bit of work, but it worked out fine in the end.

By the way -- whatever happened do your DIY for this? Exact gauge PN would be great to have to. :)

James

JRS-RS6
April 11th, 2010, 02:00
That is about the coolest app ever. I never wanted or needed a boost guage, but I want that! LOL!

That was my take to but I do not want to part with my instrument gauge for as long as it would take to sent this and get it done. It provded the information in discreet location yet is clearly visible and it shows AF Ratio which provided even more valuable information. Anybody else in here done or seen anything similar??

Ideally I could go with RNS-E (or other comparable NAV/Radio Unit) that could display this data at will (push a button) but I am not so sure that would be easily done.

DHall1
April 11th, 2010, 17:47
We can all have our opinions.

But, I will not slam you for having yours.

"serious turbo driver" ?

"just not serious" ?

Sorry bud. I got 1000hp sitting out in the front garage. And 1500hp sitting out in the back shop.

I must not be serious enough.

Ask any serious Turbo Driver if a boost gauge is necessary, and I am sure they will tell you yes. So for those of you who don't think so, well I guess your just not serious enough.

Elevens
April 11th, 2010, 21:58
We can all have our opinions.

But, I will not slam you for having yours.

"serious turbo driver" ?

"just not serious" ?

Sorry bud. I got 1000hp sitting out in the front garage. And 1500hp sitting out in the back shop.

I must not be serious enough.

Slam! What's this talk of slam? Who's slamming who? I thought we were all expressing our opinions. Sorry Dhall1 if "Serious" offends you, didn't mean anything by it. But really, are you running a 1000hp Turbo Automobile with out a boost gauge? Well to each his own, I guess.

hahnmgh63
April 11th, 2010, 23:19
I do agree that having a boost gauge is better than no boost gauge. More than hey, it's cool, look how much boost I have. It can be a great tool as mentioned, I installed one in my tt last year and showed me that I was occaisionally getting a soft limp mode. I have the soft limp now fixed but I'm not quite getting full stock boost. I am getting ready to Revo my tt so I can use the SPS on the tt & RS6 but I wan't to fix the tt to full stock boost before I chip it. Vagcom is the best tool I think anyone with a VAG product can get but there are many times when no code is thrown (as in my tt) and the boost gauge is just another tool that gives information that you can compare with.

DHall1
April 12th, 2010, 01:43
Read your quote again.

You are giving the impression that any serious turbo driver knows that a boost gauge is nec. And if you dont think so then you must not be serious. Its a run of the mill ad hominem. I hate those phrases with a passion.

So, follow your logic and it is indeed a slam. No big deal but I dont like the play on words.

I didnt say how many cars=my hp numbers.

RS6 and E55 in the front garage. 1000hp and no boost gauges.

http://www.rs6.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Elevens http://www.rs6.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php?p=188284#post188284)
Ask any serious Turbo Driver if a boost gauge is necessary, and I am sure they will tell you yes. So for those of you who don't think so, well I guess your just not serious enough.

DHall1
April 12th, 2010, 01:46
Now, I will say this. There is a time and a place for the needs of gauges.

Tuning a new platform. Need gauges
Troubleshooting a problem. Need gauges

Stock or stage 1 RS6. No need gauges. Safeguard and boost limits are built into the ECU.
Stock or stage 1 E55. No need for guages. Ditto on safeguards

Stage 7++ Toyota Supra turbo with no ecu safeguards. I have 3000 dollars of gauges along with every bell and whistle.

So to clarify. There is a time and a place for the need of gauges.

Cheers no hard feelings.

Elevens
April 12th, 2010, 03:24
Now, I will say this. There is a time and a place for the needs of gauges.

Tuning a new platform. Need gauges
Troubleshooting a problem. Need gauges

Stock or stage 1 RS6. No need gauges. Safeguard and boost limits are built into the ECU.
Stock or stage 1 E55. No need for guages. Ditto on safeguards

Stage 7++ Toyota Supra turbo with no ecu safeguards. I have 3000 dollars of gauges along with every bell and whistle.

So to clarify. There is a time and a place for the need of gauges.

Cheers no hard feelings.

No hard feelings at all. But once again its a matter of opinion. You say that a Stock or Stage1 RS6 needs no Boost gauge. Well lets face it the only gauge any car really needs is a fuel gauge. But in a normally aspirated vehicle most people do like to know their Water temp, Oil temp and pressure, and Battery Voltage. And most cars are equipped with such. I just think that the Turbo car should go one step further by adding a Boost Gauge. And if you don't think so then I don't think you are as concerned as I am about knowing what going on under the hood at all times, Safeguards or not. Noticed that I have changed the word "Serious" to "Concerned" so as to avoid being referred to as a slammer. Any way I didn't mean to slam anybody or had any intention of doing such. And I guess I will have to watch my choice of words so as not to offend the overly sensitive.

DHall1
April 12th, 2010, 03:29
No worries.

I know how much boost the beast is making by putting my right foot to the floor. That said, I wish it had a factory boost gauge but I wont add one.

snoopra
April 12th, 2010, 04:54
Contacted IMP Concepts (in-dash boost gauge), it'll be $500USD including S/H & 5 days turnaround time. If you're brave enough for the DIY, $300USD for components.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 12th, 2010, 05:45
What I don't understand is why one was not provided in our cars just as it was in my 1st generation "RS6"?
My 5000cstq which was the top of the line car for Audi in 1986 has a boost readout cycled in the trip computer dash readout.
So it's not like Audi doesn't know how to do it.
I find it very "handy" though mine is boosted to the max. even the best butt dyno can't tell the difference between 17.5 and 18.1.
So I can "see" when the car is running right.
I still find the 5000 the most fun to drive even including my RS6
IMHO

JRS-RS6
April 12th, 2010, 12:47
Contacted IMP Concepts (in-dash boost gauge), it'll be $500USD including S/H & 5 days turnaround time. If you're brave enough for the DIY, $300USD for components.

Thanks Snoopra -- to date this is my favorite one. If you go this route be sure to update all of us!

I am thinking DIY in the worthless cupholder, besides a boost gauge is low on my priority list at this time.

skribe
April 12th, 2010, 14:57
I like boost gauges. I put one right in the center of the dash on my tuned 1.8t... It's nice to know that if I reflash for race gas it's indeed putting out 24 psi. It's fun for passengers (my kids) to watch.

The only reason I don't have one in the RS6 is I don't want to violate the cabin with boy-racer crap, so I've been debating with myself how and where I'm going to put one. Thinking about just getting the PLX module for the REV iPhone app, already have a Kiwi wifi OBDII dongle.

The gauge install that started this thread is suitable for a snowblower or chipper/shredder. Nice industrial bracketry. :doh: You could adapt a cheap pillar pod from autozone at least.

To answer your question, I would tap the 3.5 mm vacuum line and put a T-fitting between the two DV valves. Right below your "V-8 BITURBO" shroud.

Elevens
April 12th, 2010, 16:01
What I don't understand is why one was not provided in our cars just as it was in my 1st generation "RS6"?
My 5000cstq which was the top of the line car for Audi in 1986 has a boost readout cycled in the trip computer dash readout.
So it's not like Audi doesn't know how to do it.
I find it very "handy" though mine is boosted to the max. even the best butt dyno can't tell the difference between 17.5 and 18.1.
So I can "see" when the car is running right.
I still find the 5000 the most fun to drive even including my RS6

Its funny you should mentiion the 5000CS Turbo. That was my first Audi. Not the Quattro model but fantastic none the less.
The wastegate on mine Stuck shut. Meaning the boost would build up extremely fast since there was no bleed off. This resulted in one very fast 5000 of the line Untill overboost conditions existed, at which point safety measures would kick in. I aslo had a 91 200 20V. Now that was my best Audi to date. That 20 Valve 5 Cylinder Turbo was Awsome. Bullitproof. And yes both of them had the capability of displaying Boost pressure on the center display. Why Audi deviated from this, who knows.

I like boost gauges. I put one right in the center of the dash on my tuned 1.8t... It's nice to know that if I reflash for race gas it's indeed putting out 24 psi. It's fun for passengers (my kids) to watch.

The only reason I don't have one in the RS6 is I don't want to violate the cabin with boy-racer crap, so I've been debating with myself how and where I'm going to put one. Thinking about just getting the PLX module for the REV iPhone app, already have a Kiwi wifi OBDII dongle.

The gauge install that started this thread is suitable for a snowblower or chipper/shredder. Nice industrial bracketry. :doh: You could adapt a cheap pillar pod from autozone at least.

To answer your question, I would tap the 3.5 mm vacuum line and put a T-fitting between the two DV valves. Right below your "V-8 BITURBO" shroud.

As a matter of fact I don't mind the boy Racer look. I definetly prefere an A-pillar pod mount over a Center Vent mount. So until someone comes out with such. This will suffice. Remember thiis only a temporary fix because I must have a boost gauge now. I will look into the Diverter Valve tap, Thanks. I think I will leave the N75 valve alone. I am also considering the Fuel Pressure Regulator Tap.

JRS-RS6
April 13th, 2010, 05:45

If I am not mistaken this portion of the vacuum circuit is on the reservoir in the left wheel well during boost; otherwise, the DVs would not work. Poor choice -- the fuel regulator conneciton mentioned in the next post seems better.

skribe
April 15th, 2010, 00:33
If I am not mistaken this portion of the vacuum circuit is on the reservoir in the left wheel well during boost; otherwise, the DVs would not work. Poor choice -- the fuel regulator conneciton mentioned in the next post seems better.

Durrrrrr. Ok maybe a bad tap for a BOOST gauge, but you have to admit, it would make an excellent location for a VACUUM gauge. :doh: self-administered face palm.

I'm still reasonably certain that my expert analysis of the tractor-mount stands.

JRS-RS6
April 15th, 2010, 05:03
Durrrrrr....I'm still reasonably certain that my expert analysis of the tractor-mount stands.

No issue there -- agreed on the "tractor-mount". :)

So Snoopra you going to take the plunge and do the IMP Concepts LED gauge in the Tach with AF too? I really like that one, it is pretty slick.

Shoppinit
April 15th, 2010, 16:12
The problem as I see it with the IMP guage is that it uses an uncalibrated vacuum guage. It's a shame they didn't go a step further and read the corrected boost pressure from the OBD port.

SAF
April 16th, 2010, 00:20
There's always this.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4524606964_df8c774126_o.jpg

skribe
April 17th, 2010, 05:19
w a n t .