PDA

View Full Version : RS6 as a daily driver.....?

pierson
April 6th, 2010, 04:17
I'm a real estate agent in CT and need a new car (something around $25k). I've looked at everything and have come down to either a 2003 S6 Avant, S8, or RS6. I want something fun, but with room to take clients in (sorry, S4 is just too small).

I really want the RS6, but have some concerns about using it as a daily driver. How long can she last? I liked to drive my cars until well into the 200ks. I have a 95 A6 with over 250k right now.

I understand the risk involved with the transmission and the DCR, so i expect a big bill or two, but once i turn the shocks into coilovers and baby the transmission can this car really last?

Whats the least expensive way to handle the breaks? I'll be driving all day around town.

I have searched long and hard through the history and have my ideas, but was hoping to start a new thread to see if there are any other people who work and live in their RS6s out there.

ben916
April 6th, 2010, 04:57
I'm a real estate agent in CT and need a new car (something around $25k). I've looked at everything and have come down to either a 2003 S6 Avant, S8, or RS6. I want something fun, but with room to take clients in (sorry, S4 is just too small).

I really want the RS6, but have some concerns about using it as a daily driver. How long can she last? I liked to drive my cars until well into the 200ks. I have a 95 A6 with over 250k right now.

I understand the risk involved with the transmission and the DCR, so i expect a big bill or two, but once i turn the shocks into coilovers and baby the transmission can this car really last?

Whats the least expensive way to handle the breaks? I'll be driving all day around town.

I have searched long and hard through the history and have my ideas, but was hoping to start a new thread to see if there are any other people who work and live in their RS6s out there.

There is an RS6 out there on the East Coast with 204k and it looks good. Search for 10secRS6 or something like that...
There was an 03 S6 Avant here in San Diego with 97k on the clock and it was beat and needed a timing belt change badly for $17k - kinda high.

I use mine M-F for ±18 miles per day, with an occasional furlough.
I fill up every 10-14 days.
If you are easy on the go-fast pedal, you might get 250 miles on a tank(in city).

If you stay with OEM rotors/pads - the fronts will be jet black with brake dust and you will have the squeak.
If you stay with OEM rotors/EBC reds for pads - the fronts will not be as bad with brake dust and there is some debate on the squeak - BUT there isn't a wear indicator pin in the pads which can save the rotors.
If you trash the OEM's and go Statis/Alcon - well, you have less to be concerned with minus the initial cost. There are quite a few on board that have $hit canned the OEM and love the aftermarket route.

DRC - ok you got that one figured out.
Trans/TQ - aftermarket warranty

Do you need the 4dr?
Timeline?

DHall1
April 6th, 2010, 05:49
You mean brakes?

DIY is always the least expensive way.

You ready to spend 4500 dollars every 35k for the timing belt service?

DHall1
April 6th, 2010, 05:50
IMHO the RS6 may not be the best daily around town haul people around vehicle.

I would opt for the A8 or a low mileage S8 era 03

Born2be
April 6th, 2010, 06:07
I've been subconciously purposely procastinating on it, but my S8 might be looking for a new home soon. It would def be better for hauling around clients and yet still fun with plenty of giddyup. PM if interested.

W>

artur777
April 6th, 2010, 08:25
RS6 is a superb daily driver! For 100%

RS6Steve
April 6th, 2010, 11:13
I use mine as a daily driver and love it, fuel is also twice the cost over here !!!

Aronis
April 6th, 2010, 13:42
First of all who is paying $4500 for a timing belt change? I had mine done at 75,000 miles with a bunch of other maintenance and the bill was $1800 with parts etc. Be sure to check you numbers on that service. I had all the wearable parts changed in the front suspension when they did the DRC recall and that was $2200.

So don't fear the maintenance stuff. It can be done for reasonable prices. Their are non-Audi dealer mechanics who can do some of the work as well.

Brakes: Easy enough to change your self, front pads $400, front rotors $880, rear pads $200, rear rotors $800 (but you'll get easily 125,000 miles out of the rear rotors. DIY is not too bad but DON"T LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO SAYS ANY GD THING ABOUT DRILLING OUT THE PINS IN THE FRONT. This is completely unnecessary, just take the caliper off and change the pads from the inside, and yes clean the caliper surfaces on the inside, tedious but must be done. The rotors are a snap to change, once you've had the calipers off you'll see the rotors take one second to change LOL.

Regular tune up - Parts are about $250 (I bought air filters, carbon filter, plugs, fuel filter, oil and oil filter for about $250). The oil change is pain in all V8 Audi's, since the filter is parallel to the ground and you have to tilt it back toward you to take it out. Some say you can take the filter out if you remove the passenger side wheel. I carefully looked at this when I had the rotor off, no way could I get a hand on the filter from there. I still have not finished my latest tune up as I have to do the plugs and fuel filter. I plan on it today since it's too rainy for yard work. The plugs require removing the air cleaner/MAF sensor which I have had off before and is trick on the drives side as the wire is difficult to take off due to a tight working space, but once that is done, the plugs are straight forward.

Transmission: I have 97,000 miles and the only service its needed has been a leak from the seal which was changed at 78,000 miles (fluid and filter done also), otherwise it has been fine. I did not modify the engine as I was too concerned over the limits on the transmission. This transmission is just strong enough for the stock RS6 HP. There have been posts about TC failures here but most have been with modified engines. EXTENDED WARRANTEE is your best bet.

Turbos: Who knows? Again my car has 97,000 miles and turbos are fine (so far). That job is pricey due to parts and the access issue, but taking the front of the car off is not that uncommon. I have seen several A4's with the front off for engine service at our local shop (they have to do that slug thing often enough) and some have posted DIY front of car removal, so its really not that bad, I'd do it myself if it becomes necessary, it's mostly cosmetic parts and the RADIATORs then you have access to the turbos.

Thermostat: Dumb location. You have to take a lot off to get to that, nice design Audi, can do timing belt at the same time!

Daily Drive? I would not have it any other way, through the worst snow storms, rain, sun etc, I have to be able to get to work, 24/7, calling in for car trouble could mean life or death.

Where in CT are you selling homes? Consider the clients. Some could be put off by that car, as class envy is a powerful tool. Even if you buy it third hand.

My car is 7 years old with 97,000 miles and people still comment on it's sticker price 7 years ago. People are People. Make sure your client has the nicer car!

Mike

Jimmy
April 6th, 2010, 14:41
Hello

I'm in CT also...PM me ...we'll talk.

My wife and I drive ours almost daily (she steals it when I drive something else)...I wouldn't worry about it. She hauls 2 kids under 6 in it too. The C5 chassis is great. People drive Porsches year round, why shouldn't we? Yes, a few unique items can be costly, especially if you bring it to a dealer for repair. I have the place to go if you need service. Get one !

rle55
April 6th, 2010, 14:45
+1 on aronis

daily driven as well = 14mi a day

rle55
April 6th, 2010, 14:46
Jimmy, does the place you go to for service take Audi fidelity warranty? btw, how far are you from greenwich?

skribe
April 6th, 2010, 14:50
I'm thinking a 2006+ A8 might be a better choice for your mission... they can be had pretty cheaply now, the interior is stunning, and the 4.2 V8 feels really torquey and powerful. HUGE back seat for clients, and less of a finicky beast than an RS6. Plus in city driving, the RS6 beer bongs comic amounts of gas. If you're sensitive to that kind of thing it would make you nuts.

Having said all that, the RS6 is best car I've ever owned, hands-down. It ended my desire for a 911... at least for the time being, anyway.

4everRS
April 6th, 2010, 14:52
Welcome peirson,
As Mike said, 4500 is quite high for the t-belt service. 1800 is maybe a little low though. I think you'll probably find it closer to 2200-2500. Search is your friend and if you buy one, make sure that when these services are done, you are well educated. Without talking down to them, ask the shop things like, if they know the torque specs, if the rollers and pulleys are replaced, ect. (for t-belt job). This will not only give you a little credibility, but also tells them that they need to do it right, as you know your stuff.
Regular tune up price is very close to what Mike said above. However you can find pads much cheaper than this and better quality than the stockers. My pads are getting done today by a local shop. I bought the pads for about 177 shipped. Read this:
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17740-EBC-Red-front-and-rear-brake-pads-for-less-than-175-dollars?highlight=brake+pad
THey said they will charge me about $75 to do al pads. I'll let the forum know later today. They are also going to re-surface my front rotors as long as they are within spec - need to be a min thickness of 32mm. Rears disc's rarely need attention as Mike stated. Stock front rotors can be found for less than 300/ea. Again, use the search tool.
Mike, I'm pretty sure you can't access the turbos from the front. I beleive the motor needs to be dropped for this. A stock car shouldn't have issues with the turbos - usually on heavily modded cars.
Tranny and TC can be problems, take care of them. It is BS that Audi says the fluid in there is "lifetime". Also get the MTM TCU chip - not just for performance, but the life of the TC will be extended by this.
Mike, did you have a noticeable change in the tranny performance after the fluid and filter change??

I wouldn't be worried to have this car as a daily driver. I do it. Granted, I do not put on more than about 10 miles per day for work. Of course I go other places with the car, but it definitley would not get as much use as your profession. Mike has good advice on what the clients will think as well. This is a sleeper and not many people really know what it is. I really have to maintain a good reputation in my little town and people here generally frown on really expensive cars. Of the hundreds of people that have walked into my office for an appt, not a single one has said a thing about the car, and yes it is obvious that it is mine. If I were driving a BMW, Merc, Lexus or Caddy, I would probably hear it all the time. Around here, not many really know Audi - especially this one. Besides, in northern MN, the trucks guys buy around here are over twice the money I spent on the RS6.

pierson
April 6th, 2010, 15:07
I can't believe how accommodating you all are! At one point I was looking into getting a BMW X5 (god forbid) and I posted a couple questions online. Very few responses. I admitted to being new to the BMW world and i think they didn't like talking to me. Wow. To me that's the difference between the two fan bases. Will never buy a BMW now on principal. No snottery here! I was only looking at the X5 because i thought i wanted an SUV and i'm not a big fan of the Q series.

Back to the RS6. I had a 2004 S4 that I LOVED! I had to sell it for financial reasons. Now that I can afford my car back i'm realizing that it would be WAY too small to take people out in. The A6 series is perfect and i really don't take clients that often, but i do drive all day every day.

A8 just seems a little bit big for me right now. The RS6 is so tempting. I have wanted one for years (come to think of it, ever since 2002.....).

I'm happy to roll up my sleeves and take a shot at changing the breaks. I haven't done much car work, but i'm very handy (would like to think so) with house work and willing to try.

I'm an agent in Greenwich, CT

http://greenwichfineproperties.com/agent_homepage.php?31

so i'll definitely PM those of you in the area. Having this support group makes the possibility of buying a car like this (with potentially expensive and complex issues) that much less daunting.

Thanks again for the quick and thoughtful responses!

ttboost
April 6th, 2010, 15:47
I hope to have an RS6 by the summer. I just moved to Fairfield County. Oh... and I know a place that has a W12 if you need the bigger car and still want some umphh...

DHall1
April 6th, 2010, 16:06
Audi dealer prices for a 35k service can run 3500-4500 dollars.

The parts alone can run up to 2k if you replace everything on the list.

If an Audi dealer can complete a 35k service for 1500. I will eat my left shoe.

ben916
April 6th, 2010, 17:44
The RS6 is so tempting.........

Drive one and the hooks will be set....
You may have to wait for the right color combo to show up and when it does, you had better jump quick...

Jimmy
April 6th, 2010, 18:31
Jimmy, does the place you go to for service take Audi fidelity warranty? btw, how far are you from greenwich?

Yes on the warranty work. Usually no problems.

I'm up in Manchester right off I-84...1+ hour...I have a few friends in your area that come up for service/details.

Jimmy
April 6th, 2010, 18:34
I hope to have an RS6 by the summer. I just moved to Fairfield County. Oh... and I know a place that has a W12 if you need the bigger car and still want some umphh...

The silver W12 is on deposit....a black one might be coming in tho soon...

4everRS
April 6th, 2010, 21:35
Ok so, just picked up my car from the shop down the street. I brought him the EBC's I got for 177 shipped from the parts bin. I told him to grind off the paint where the pin is and check the rotors for thickness and see if he can re-surface. Rotors are a little over 30mm so he didn't surface them(min is 32mm). Pads installed for $118. So full brake PAD replacement for $295 all in. Now we'll see how long I can go with these discs. I am hopeing that I will be able to make it until I need new pads again and do it all at once.

lowered97a4
April 7th, 2010, 02:39
just baught an rs6 from marc 10secs4 his daytona gray one, he sold his 210k rs6 already, i already own a stage 3 s4 cant wait to drive the rs6 around almost already loving it more

pierson
April 8th, 2010, 15:05
would you ever buy a car without actually seeing it in person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-TURBO-AWD-4X4-BOSE-ONSTAR-SEDAN-PREMIUM-SPORTS_W0QQitemZ350337246072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Cars_Trucks?hash=item5191ba2378#ht_4417wt_1167

4everRS
April 8th, 2010, 16:27
Looks like a good example. I bought mine without seeing it. I did a ton of research though. It was in OH. Bought it throught he PA manheim auction. This confused me at first, but they brought it to the PA auction as it is much larger. Anyways, I bought a car fax for something like 10 uses to check on other cars as well. THe carfax is much better and more detailed than that shitty autocheck I see on the ebay link. Autocheck history is very basic info like registration. The carfax will indicate actual serivce history. I called the dealer who serviced it and talked to a guy that knew the car. He even told me who the prior owner was (it was a 1 owner). I didn't even see a picture of it. Just knew the interior and exterior color. It was maintained meticuliously. Had it shipped to me in MN for $400 on a car hauler. Got it within a week. Very happy with it so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-TURBO-AWD-4X4-BOSE-ONSTAR-SEDAN-PREMIUM-SPORTS_W0QQitemZ350337246072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Cars_Trucks?hash=item5191ba2378#ht_4417wt_1167

4everRS
April 8th, 2010, 16:28
Make sure this car is not the FL car with the busted TC

DHall1
April 8th, 2010, 17:02
Nope,

I would not touch that car.

Just me but there is a tid bit of information in the vehicle history.

This is not your typical pristine so cal car.

The FL car is still in our minds....too funny.

Looks like a good example. I bought mine without seeing it. I did a ton of research though. It was in OH. Bought it throught he PA manheim auction. This confused me at first, but they brought it to the PA auction as it is much larger. Anyways, I bought a car fax for something like 10 uses to check on other cars as well. THe carfax is much better and more detailed than that shitty autocheck I see on the ebay link. Autocheck history is very basic info like registration. The carfax will indicate actual serivce history. I called the dealer who serviced it and talked to a guy that knew the car. He even told me who the prior owner was (it was a 1 owner). I didn't even see a picture of it. Just knew the interior and exterior color. It was maintained meticuliously. Had it shipped to me in MN for $400 on a car hauler. Got it within a week. Very happy with it so far.

Brazil
April 8th, 2010, 17:24
just baught an rs6 from marc 10secs4 his daytona gray one, he sold his 210k rs6 already, i already own a stage 3 s4 cant wait to drive the rs6 around almost already loving it more

Are you kidding? You have a stage 3 S4 (like me) so you know who Marc is aka 10secs4 aka bigbluebeast aka king douchebag. I would NEVER buy a car from him. You know it's been beat to crap, been driven hard all the time, and maintained poorly. This is not a car you can ignore and hope it lasts. What a mistake.

Good luck!!!

DHall1
April 8th, 2010, 17:45
Uhhhh

Say what you really mean.

Brazil
April 8th, 2010, 18:07
With the forum history that Marc guy has, I'm surprised anyone would even consider buying a car from him.

Oh well...

DHall1
April 8th, 2010, 18:20
I hear ya

Not everyone is aware of these things nor do they visit more then one forum.

Marc was ok on this forum but never really sold anyone anything.

Dont get me wrong. I raise the red flag without hesitation. Oh and get hammered for it as well.

With the forum history that Marc guy has, I'm surprised anyone would even consider buying a car from him.

Oh well...

skribe
April 8th, 2010, 19:03

A car like this? I personally wouldn't. Far too many potentially hugely expensive problems...

Previously I thought I found a local low-mile RS6 that was perfect, after an inspect and drive, it was far from perfect: slipping TC, honking DV valve, a dozen different creaks and rattles, leaky valve covers, warped rotors, bent wheel, fucked (supposedly fixed) DRC etc, etc. Shudder to think of buying that car sight unseen. It was very pretty as a jpeg and had a clean carfax and a good story... but was one sloppy sled in person.

Re: 10secS4, Brazil once again fires a point-blank logic bullet. :lovl: special smiley for you homey.

4everRS
April 8th, 2010, 19:37
I think I missed something. What is wrong with that car? The ebay one Pierson put the link on. After looking through the carfax, it is pretty disapponting there isn't more detail. But what else is wrong with it? BYW, this is why this forum is so great. Some members, may know something about this car that is not evident on the surface.

Pierson - I would call the dealer who serviced the car. Be very nice to them and tell them how much you'd appreciate honest information. Ask about DRC, TC, excessive codes, ect. It is hard to find a one owner RS6 and will likely continue to be. If this car is as it looks (I know rarely thigs are) it should be a good car. Again, I may be wayyy off, as I know absolutely nothing about this vehicle besides reading the ebay page.

Christian-
April 8th, 2010, 21:09
I've been daily driving my RS6 for about two months since I got it. I was commuting about 100 miles per day to work and easily 40 miles each day in the weekend. The only drawback is the gas mileage, which isn't the greatest for a commuter car. But if you can handle the cost of gas it's a great daily driver. It has everything and does everything I want. Excellent car.

As for Marc, I agree with Brazil on this. But it's largely irrelevant to the thread at hand.

ben916
April 8th, 2010, 23:13
I think I missed something. ....
Some members, may know something about this car that is not evident on the surface.

Yes, unfortunately, you are...

WITHOUT pointing fingers :
There was a FL car that was purchased early last year, 2009, that had a bad TQ and the dealer sold it to a noobie member.
The noobie member was driving home, that exact day of purchasing it, and the CEL comes on...
Getting some answers from the forum, he returns the car to the dealer for a full refund.
Well the first dealer sells it to another dealer without fixing and the second dealer puts it up for sale.
A different forum member (not the noobie) has strong opinions about this type of behavior and flags the car on Carfax with a bad TQ.
So some forum members believe that is not a non-owners responsibility to notify the general public nor the Audi dealerships of this hot potato ($6000-7000 job)
Other forum members think that that is EXACTLY what this forum is about - to educate and collaborate with other owners, potential owners and ex-owners...

Needless to say, some are still stinging and/or will not comment on specifics of other vehicles.
There are some forum members selling cars with a complete disclosed history and all mods.
There are other mystery cars that are not forum members so when red flags (DRC/TQ/TRANS) come up or are discovered, well, it depends on who ya know.

I know of a FINE yellow RS6 that is for sale...
If I was still without one, I would snap that one up in a second...

DHall1
April 9th, 2010, 02:40
Ok,

Here is the deal.

Look at where that car came from.

South Lake Tahoe.

If you know the area and if the car was driven in that area....it could be trashed or just chipped up from the sand and cinders on the road. Tahoe is a mountain town. Nasty roads in the winter spring and fall.....sandy rocky roads in the summer.

Is there a chance the prev owner was a freak and kept the chips off? Sure 2% chance.

I think I missed something. What is wrong with that car? The ebay one Pierson put the link on. After looking through the carfax, it is pretty disapponting there isn't more detail. But what else is wrong with it? BYW, this is why this forum is so great. Some members, may know something about this car that is not evident on the surface.

Pierson - I would call the dealer who serviced the car. Be very nice to them and tell them how much you'd appreciate honest information. Ask about DRC, TC, excessive codes, ect. It is hard to find a one owner RS6 and will likely continue to be. If this car is as it looks (I know rarely thigs are) it should be a good car. Again, I may be wayyy off, as I know absolutely nothing about this vehicle besides reading the ebay page.

pierson
April 9th, 2010, 03:21
I understand the value in buying a car that has never seen snow (or more importantly, salt), but shouldn't i also be just as worried about the driving characteristics? I mean, shouldn't i be more worried about the type of driver that would put a chip in the car as opposed to one that might have chipped the outside of the car?

I'm looking for a RS6 that i can drive well into the 100,000s, maybe even 200ks! and less concerned with one that is chipped up a little on the outside. Why oh, why can't i find a 80yrd old grandmother that drove her rs6 from bingo to bridge....

ps. This forum is incredible. I can't tell you how much better audi fans are than bmw fans.

4everRS
April 9th, 2010, 03:22
Ben, I understand. I am familiar with that situation. I was very interesting to watch unfold. I was a lowly lurker at the time.

Dave, good points. I guess, I am biased. I had a good expierence with mine, bought very different than what is average. Sight unseen, shipped to me with no going back. I did a ton of research before hand though. Definitely out of most people's comfort range.

GEN XER
April 9th, 2010, 03:30

I did. I bought my RS6 from a guy in Texas. I never saw the car except in pictures. I am willing to sell you my RS6 which has had all the problem work done already and a few minor mods. Most of the guys here will tell you I am a stand up guy and I will show you all the links for work that has been done. Im selling because I want the S5. I don't use the back seats and I want a manual. If you want to discuss pricing send me a PM. I also have an Audi Fidelity warranty on the car. It has just under 3yrs left on the warranty.

Bigglezworth
April 9th, 2010, 03:52

I have searched long and hard through the history and have my ideas, but was hoping to start a new thread to see if there are any other people who work and live in their RS6s out there.If I were regularily transporting clients around on business, I would opt for the S8. It is roomier in the rear for adults, a smoother ride, and has better attention to detail IMO. The RS6 while extremely nice is more suited as a wow vehicle and doesn't present itself the same as the A8/S8 from a business perspective IMO.

pellapat
April 9th, 2010, 21:44
tried to sell mine a few weeks back. 10 inside and out. i guess people want to give dealers full retail for modded, beat up cars.

I decided to keep it unless someone on autotrader gives me 29

ben916
April 9th, 2010, 22:19
I am familiar with that situation. I was very interesting to watch unfold. I was a lowly lurker at the time.

Ok, I am not pissing in your wheaties, just explaining...

pierson
April 12th, 2010, 03:54
i'm not a huge fan of the carbon fiber trim (it it even real CF?), but was wondering if i end up with a car with CF trim would it be hard for me to swap it out/find new trim to change it with?

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 12th, 2010, 06:29
if it comes off easily, I'll traid you my "wood" trim

GEN XER
April 12th, 2010, 06:35
i'm not a huge fan of the carbon fiber trim (it it even real CF?), but was wondering if i end up with a car with CF trim would it be hard for me to swap it out/find new trim to change it with?

Pierson it might be better to start a new thread to get your answer. Maybe name it Carbon Fiber Trim Removal. As a matter of fact here you go.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1727356