PDA

View Full Version : Rupert Stadler confirms Audi RS5 coming to USA

SAF
April 5th, 2010, 05:54
WOO-freaking-HOO!!!

RXBG
April 5th, 2010, 13:42
i can't wait to see these. it is so exciting for the R line to have some company. and i definitely can't wait to see it go against the R8 V8 , and hopefully have audi bring the TT-RS over too.

Erik
April 5th, 2010, 15:41
Great news! I feel happy for you!

Ruergard
April 5th, 2010, 21:21
That is good news. :D

EKaru
April 7th, 2010, 07:49
Audi RS5 Confirmed for U.S. - Car News

Word from the CEO: RS returns!
BY JENS MEINERS, PHOTOGRAPHY BY PETER BURN AND THE MANUFACTURER
April 2010

Audi is engaging BMW in a thrilling fight over who can make the sportiest premium cars, and the RS models are an important cornerstone in this strategy. Targeting BMW's legendary M line, Audi's RS family currently includes the 340-hp TT RS with its turbocharged straight-five and the 580-hp RS6, which packs a twin-turbo V-10 into either a sedan or wagon body. But alas, no RS model is currently sold in the U.S., and the brand's utterly enjoyable S models are simply outgunned by the M models and the Mercedes-Benz AMG line.

With the RS5, the wait is finally over. Audi CEO Rupert Stadler tells us that the upcoming coupe, powered by a naturally aspirated, 450-hp V-8, is U.S.-bound. That's very good news not only for Audi aficionados, but for anyone shopping in this segment. The RS5's most direct competitors will be the two-door versions of the 414-hp BMW M3 and the 556-hp Cadillac CTS-V, both bringing rear-wheel drive against the Audi's Quattro all-wheel-drive system. Mercedes-Benz is abandoning the segment, with no planned AMG version of its new C-class-based but E-class-badged coupe. Interestingly, Audi is sticking to its extremely high-revving engine, an evolution of the former RS4 and current R8 unit, while BMW M and Mercedes-AMG are on the verge of switching to turbocharged engines.

For a while, it seemed like the RS models wouldn't return to the U.S. market. We were told that costly certification requirements and a limited market made it difficult to justify a business case. While that may have been so, some of the most loyal Audi customers were left without a suitable in-house replacement for their beloved RS6s or RS4s, the previous generations of which were sold here. The absence of RS models in a market niche bristling with offers from key competitors made it increasingly difficult for Audi to claim that it is indeed the sportiest of luxury brands.

Stadler had no word yet on pricing, but we expect the new RS5 to be positioned close to the BMW M3. Money aside, we’ll get behind the wheel shortly and report on how well it stacks up agains the benchmark Bimmer.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q2/audi_rs5_confirmed_for_u.s.-car_news

SAF
April 7th, 2010, 19:18
Nice addition to my thread two days ago. ;)

GEN XER
April 8th, 2010, 03:52
No manual, really? I don't think VAG can do Automatic transmission well so I'll go with the S5.

Erik
April 8th, 2010, 13:12
No manual, really? I don't think VAG can do Automatic transmission well so I'll go with the S5.

DSG is a completly other thing from a slush box.

Try it before you decide! (I know it might take a while...)

SAF
April 8th, 2010, 17:15
Personally, I love DSG. Now that it is designed around this torque, I would prefer it.

Benman
April 8th, 2010, 19:53
Very good news! Icon will be disappointed though... ;)

iconcls
April 9th, 2010, 14:32
Icon will be disappointed though... ;)

I've jumped on a list to purchase for wife but really hoping something better comes along in the interim and I won't have to buy the POS.

DHall1
April 9th, 2010, 16:22
It is a start and I will go drive the RS5. I dont think it will pull me out of the RS6. The two cars are close in size and design.

Now, bring the TTRS over and I will put my order in tomorrow.

Hello!!!!!

TTRS to the USA please. That would leave a TTRS, RS6 and E55 in my garage. Perfect.