PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temperature Warning Symbol

RS6NZ
March 31st, 2010, 23:35
Hi folks

I did a search to see if this one has popped up before, to no avail.

Starting from last night, the red engine temperature warning symbol is appearing in the dash display on startup even from cold start. If the ignition is then turned off and restarted, the symbol doesn't come up and when driving the car, oil and water temps are completely normal (as is coolant level). I'll be taking it into my service centre (don't have VAG-COM) to get a diagnosis, but was wondering if anyone in forum-land has encountered this before? Dodgy sensor?

snoopra
March 31st, 2010, 23:44
Yes, check your level in the coolant bottle when cold.

RS6NZ
April 15th, 2010, 14:33
Hi folks

I did a search to see if this one has popped up before, to no avail.

Starting from last night, the red engine temperature warning symbol is appearing in the dash display on startup even from cold start. If the ignition is then turned off and restarted, the symbol doesn't come up and when driving the car, oil and water temps are completely normal (as is coolant level). I'll be taking it into my service centre (don't have VAG-COM) to get a diagnosis, but was wondering if anyone in forum-land has encountered this before? Dodgy sensor?

Update: The coolant level was indeed low, needed two top ups over two weeks. On further investigation, it transpires that the leak is coming from the auxiliary coolant pump. Replacement requires removal of the inlet manifold. :vhmmm: Saved once again by the mechanical warranty :hihi: