PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing intake manifold

p3u
March 31st, 2010, 05:29
I started my car today and noticed the idle was a bit rough. Upon inspection I noticed a hissing coming from under the manifold. I hate vacuum leaks....

Anyone have any information on removal of intake manifold, difficulty, advice, etc?

Thanks!

V8weight
March 31st, 2010, 14:01
Removing the intake manifold shouldn't be that hard, like any other job on this car, a systematical approach will spell success. Be aware that the bumber and lock support will have to be put in the service position to remove the front intake charge pipe from the intercoolers to the intake. While you're in there, you would be crazy not to replace the after-run coolant pump.

MaxRS6
March 31st, 2010, 14:34
Pat- I have a request- When can we schedule so I'll be ready for the next maintenance item required on my addiction?

http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/400px-vulcan_mind_meld.jpg

MaxRS6
March 31st, 2010, 14:39
P3U- I had the manifold issue in Sept/09 and it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket. The stealership charged the warranty company approximately $1,300 for this service and about 10 hours of service labor. I had a CEL light, the car was idling a little rough, and I could even hear the the leak (albeit lightly) when the hood was up.

DHall1
March 31st, 2010, 21:44
Your feeling very sleepy.....now just remember you're going to lose to duck-foot-rat in that golf game next month. You are going to 3 putt every hole and lose by 20 shots. Hmmmmmm

Pat- I have a request- When can we schedule so I'll be ready for the next maintenance item required on my addiction?

MaxRS6
March 31st, 2010, 21:50
^^Hmmm- Is that a hint that our paths may cross??

Only by 20 shots?--That means I may break 120 eh for DFR to win by 20...:0 Just came off the links- I'm packing up to head southeast...Yeehah!

BTW Dave- Thanks for the help yesterday and my package is headed out via FedEx this evening.

p3u
March 31st, 2010, 22:19
Removing the intake manifold shouldn't be that hard, like any other job on this car, a systematical approach will spell success. Be aware that the bumber and lock support will have to be put in the service position to remove the front intake charge pipe from the intercoolers to the intake. While you're in there, you would be crazy not to replace the after-run coolant pump.

Can you tell me more about putting the bumper and lock support into service posistion?

p3u
March 31st, 2010, 22:20
P3U- I had the manifold issue in Sept/09 and it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket. The stealership charged the warranty company approximately $1,300 for this service and about 10 hours of service labor. I had a CEL light, the car was idling a little rough, and I could even hear the the leak (albeit lightly) when the hood was up.

Just curious, did the gasket blow out or what happened to it that caused the leak?

MaxRS6
March 31st, 2010, 22:24
Just curious, did the gasket blow out or what happened to it that caused the leak?

I don't know what caused it- I had the CEL light come on, and could tell the car was running slightly rough (it was just barely noticeable as to the roughness and wasn't anything extreme). The hissing noise was also very light- but it was not normal so I took it to the shop and they "did their thing". I'm glad I did as the warranty was getting close to expiring, and the shop also noticed the drive shaft needed to be replaced (also covered under warranty) during this service call.

Brazil
March 31st, 2010, 22:42
Can you tell me more about putting the bumper and lock support into service posistion?

Take a look at the first post on QW - RS6. That's putting the lock carrier in the service position. Should take you about 3-5 hours depending on your skill. The bentley manual is adequate for this job.

you'll need to replace the coolant as well since you have to drain it.

p3u
April 1st, 2010, 00:17
After looking at pictures I was thinking, do you really need to remove the front end for the intake manifold to come off? It seems all I need to do is remove the hose from the Bi pipe and as it is attached to the manifold it would just lift out with it. Is there something else its attached to thats preventing this?

Brazil
April 1st, 2010, 00:24
After looking at pictures I was thinking, do you really need to remove the front end for the intake manifold to come off? It seems all I need to do is remove the hose from the Bi pipe and as it is attached to the manifold it would just lift out with it. Is there something else its attached to thats preventing this?

I suppose if you could remove the two upper intercooler hoses (maybe remove the headlights for access) and the bi-pipe has enough room to lift out between the lock carrier and the timing belt covers, you could do it. There are 4 bolts holding the bi-pipe on. Two go into the throttle body (you can see them in my pictures and they wouldn't have to be removed) and two more are below. Those may be difficult, but can probably be accessed with the right tools from below the car. They are on either side.

I think you could get it free, but having enough room to get it out is another story.

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 01:46

Hmm, a brain drain. Not a bad idea, all of this knowledge sometimes gives me a headache.:brag: On second thought, you don't want to see whats there in the back amongst the cobwebs.

p3u
April 1st, 2010, 07:32
I suppose if you could remove the two upper intercooler hoses (maybe remove the headlights for access) and the bi-pipe has enough room to lift out between the lock carrier and the timing belt covers, you could do it. There are 4 bolts holding the bi-pipe on. Two go into the throttle body (you can see them in my pictures and they wouldn't have to be removed) and two more are below. Those may be difficult, but can probably be accessed with the right tools from below the car. They are on either side.

I think you could get it free, but having enough room to get it out is another story.

Could you give more details on these other two bolts? What do they attach to that would prevent it from coming out, the block?

Brazil
April 1st, 2010, 17:42
Yes, I think it's the block. They are toward the ends of the bi-pipe on either side and underneath. Those will need to be taken out for the pipe to be free.

Brazil
April 2nd, 2010, 21:48
Let us know how it goes. I'd like to know if you can remove the intake/throttle body/bi-pipe without putting the lock carrier in the service position.

Good luck!!!

p3u
April 4th, 2010, 04:30
Looks like it can't be done, front end is coming off.

Almost want to do the TB while in there, but it doesnt need to be done yet.