PDA

View Full Version : Auto Insurance and Track Events

Aronis
March 29th, 2010, 01:52
Can anyone in NY State verify this?

I was told that if you do an un-timed track event which is characterized as Driving Education that your regular insurance will/must cover any damage caused by an accident, but for any timed event you must have a special insurance rider?

Mike

CornersWell
March 29th, 2010, 03:11
After the recent fatality at CMS, I've heard that insurance companies are starting to re-consider (if they haven't already) their coverage of ANY event on a track. The Carrera GT lawsuit didn't help matters. Historically, your characterization is basically accurate. Our events could be timed by the crew, but they were untimed events. Moreover, there could not be passing in the corners. To beon the safe side, you might wish to contact your agent and inquire, though. It's also possible that different states treat the matter differently. Again, confirm if you're at all unclear.

CW

Amulet-S6
March 29th, 2010, 18:57
I don't know of the law specific to NY. But,

Over the past couple years this has been a frequent topic of three German car clubs I attend track events with regularly. Most auto insurance policies have excluded coverage for ANY event on a track; Regardless of whether it's timed or not.

We've all gone to track specific insurance policies: http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx

MaxRS6
March 31st, 2010, 22:10
^^ I just received written notice from my insurance agent I'm covered again for TMS in April, and for Heartland in May through my normal insurance. I always make him send me something in writing before each event for my file documentation, and I send him the link to the web site for the event sign up that fully describes the event. I hope they continue to cover these events without needing an additional rider- but I know it may be a fading star as others stop providing the coverage.

PeterH
March 31st, 2010, 22:14
Again, cant speak for NY, but in WA state, only 1 company has any written language that covers damage on a "drivers education course." They further specify, any "timed or competitive event" there is no coverage. All other insurance companies specifiy in writing - on a track, no coverage. period.

I just went through this trying to find coverage that would cover my car for lapping days. We had to move companies as only one in the state covered.

Brazil
March 31st, 2010, 22:38
And which one is that?

PeterH
March 31st, 2010, 22:54
Ooops - sorry forgot that key info: Fireman's Fund Insurance. According to my agent, the last (and only) full replacement insurance for "drivers education" events.