PDA

View Full Version : Alpine INA-W900 Installed - All good except for antenna... Any ideas?

Mudguts
March 20th, 2010, 20:00
Hello,

After much debate, I just installed the Alpine INA W900 Navigation, Audio & Video System with Bluetooth.

So far, I am very impressed with the unit except that the installer couldn't get the radio connected to the antenna. Has anyone experienced this issue with an aftermarket deck?

Thanks,
MG

Aronis
March 21st, 2010, 20:49
ah, did you pay yet? I wouldn't.

It's the INSTALLERS job to find the fix, not yours.

Mike

DonS
March 21st, 2010, 21:42
I would think all professional installers know about antenna adapters. Maybe you need something like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05713839000P?vName=Computers%20&%20Electronics=&cName=CarElectronics&sName=Accessories&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IAx20090815x000001&aff=Y

Mudguts
March 22nd, 2010, 00:40
He tried a variety of adaptors without success without success...

Any suggestions?

DonS
March 22nd, 2010, 01:19
Please define: without success. Was he unable to make a connection with an adapter? Does the adapter connect the wires but not function well? Details!

Some stereos have an antenna trimmer that can be adjusted to maximize the gain, but most installers know this well.

Does anyone know if the RS6 uses an antenna amplifier? If so, without power applied to the amp, you will have a good connection, but little signal.

V8weight
March 22nd, 2010, 01:34
Does anyone know if the RS6 uses an antenna amplifier?
Yes it does.

DonS
March 22nd, 2010, 11:24
Well then, the installer should wire both the antenna lead and remote power (and possibly ground) to the antenna amplifier. This is not uncommon in today's cars with antennas in the windshield.

MaxRS6
March 22nd, 2010, 15:57
Hey there MG- How about some pics of the installed unit? I'd like to see how it looks. Are you replacing speakers or keeping the OEM?

Mudguts
March 22nd, 2010, 18:17
MaxRS6 - I'll snap some shots and post them this afternoon.

Update:
- I provided feedback from group to installer and he confirmed that he tried multiple adaptors and boosters without success.

Anyone experience anything similar? Any specific adaptor/booster or technique to cure radio issue?

THanks,
Matt

Mudguts
March 22nd, 2010, 19:27
Quick pic from Blackberry...

Mudguts
March 22nd, 2010, 19:29

The best feature is the integrated IPod interface...

Mudguts
March 22nd, 2010, 19:33
Last picture with deck opened for CD's & DVD's...

MaxRS6
March 22nd, 2010, 19:56
Thanks for the pics Matt- Looks very nice and I hope you get the antenna issue resolved soon. I appreciate how frustrating it can be to get something working correctly.

GEN XER
March 23rd, 2010, 05:36
Oh yeah. This is the way I want to go. I want the Kenwood 9960.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/DNX9960

gooseleg
March 23rd, 2010, 17:17
I've been debating this issue for a while now rather to go for the looks not function of the RNSE or an aftermarket unit, after seeing how this looks I'm going to get an AVIC-Z110bt

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/gaCdqnaMMyM&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Aronis
March 23rd, 2010, 20:58
I would think all professional installers know about antenna adapters.

Begin Rant. (no flame suit used)

Just what does that mean anyway? The word "Professional" is so over used, much like "Technology." Do Professional A__ Wipers use Advanced Technology TP and specially designed SOAP?

I'd be ok calling a radio/plug-in-the-adaptor/don't-break-something-else/jockey a "professional" if he could build the radio in the first place. The fact that he cannot get the antenna connected is a prime example. If you want that "STATUS" get an Engineering degree first.

Professional, HA.

End Rant.

Now something helpful...

Did he try plugging in another external antenna into the radio to at least make sure that the unites receiver actually works?

Aronis
March 23rd, 2010, 21:02
by the way, several "professional radio installers" at 5 different shops told me it was impossible to add an IPOD interface and still maintain the use of the Satelite Radio! WRONG. I read the specs and the wire diagram and figured it out. It just pisses me off because they want to charge you an arm and a leg to swap out a radio....it's plug and play. The real professionals design, build and test the adapters used by the Plug-and-Play jockeys.

GEN XER
March 24th, 2010, 02:39

The best feature is the integrated IPod interface...

MG

Do you know what framing kit was used on the install?

eurotunedrs6
March 25th, 2010, 04:43
Nice unit! What navigation does it use? The Kenwood that I will probably pick up if/when I upgrade uses Garmin. I know Pioneer uses their own software.

Mudguts
March 25th, 2010, 12:30
Not sure on the navigation. It's probably Alpine's IP and seems to work well. I'll keep you posted.

Not sure what plate kit was used - I'll ask, so stay tuned.

I believe that the Bluetooth is OEM'ed from parrot and seems to work great.

The 7" screen is nice quality and fills the space perfectly.

Cost was great - I paid $1,049 with Bluetooth + adaptors and install.

HTH's,
MG

GEN XER
March 30th, 2010, 06:32
Are you running Sat radio? If so what did you need to make it work in the car? Did you have to have any adapters to make it work with the OE antenna?