PDA

View Full Version : Springtime's here. Time for new tires!

BLITZEN
March 17th, 2010, 06:30
My last set of summer performance tires were Bridgestone Potenza RE050's which I thought were pretty good. This year I'm thinking about buying another set of those or trying out the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's. Both sets are in my price range while the most preferred tire (the PS2) is not. Looking at all the posts on this site, a lot of people seem to like the Vredesteins while Quisha said not to buy them. Does anyone know if they have an XL load rating? Quisha, if you read this, can you answer why you wouldn't go with them? Thanks for your comments!

DHall1
March 17th, 2010, 12:50
While not specific to your question. There is a new Continental tire that many on the forum have been happy with.

Continental Extreme DW
XL
Good price point and quality tire
RS6 members have tried it with good results

My last set of summer performance tires were Bridgestone Potenza RE050's which I thought were pretty good. This year I'm thinking about buying another set of those or trying out the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's. Both sets are in my price range while the most preferred tire (the PS2) is not. Looking at all the posts on this site, a lot of people seem to like the Vredesteins while Quisha said not to buy them. Does anyone know if they have an XL load rating? Quisha, if you read this, can you answer why you wouldn't go with them? Thanks for your comments!

DonS
March 18th, 2010, 14:59
I found a review in an eBay ad that tests them up against the PS2 - and wins! Check it out at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-275-35-ZR-18-Vredestein-Ultrac-Sessanta-Tires-/350139912746

The original article is in Power Car Magazine which I can't find. Maybe the eBay-er can forward you a link.

I have the Continental Extreme DWS (the S adds a bit of snow use). The tires are quiet and grippy in all conditions. I doubt their dry traction is as good as the PS2, but with my Wisconsin climate I need to compromise. The review at Tirerack showed the slight disadvantage in dry, but far advantage in wear, wet, snow and noise.

BLITZEN
March 19th, 2010, 23:48
Thanks for the input. I'm still leaning toward the Vredestein's. I found them online for $179 each at PerformancePlus. But the local dealer that I like says he can't get them for less than that himself.

One more tire that was brought to my attention is the Goodyear Eagle GT which has just become available in an XL load rating. The price is right on these babies at only $164 each. But I hear that they become noisy as hell after a bit of use.

Asa last note... Don, please take my sage advice. When those DWS's go bald, you need to switch to Max Summer Performance tires and then get another set of wheels with Blizzaks on them. The car doesn't compromise, so don't make it do so based on tires! In my book "All-Season" means they're not great in the summer and they're not great in the winter either.

DonS
March 24th, 2010, 13:42
Are the Vredesteins mounted yet?? Come on, we want a full review.

I've had Blizzaks in the past and they are incredible in the snow. I think I'll stick with my compromise tire package as I really don't drive much in the snow (my morning commute is from the kitchen to my home office). The DWS is really a DW, but with some snow capabilities which exactly describes my winter use of the RS6. As for Max Summer Performance tires, I don't drive the RS6 at 9/10ths, heck even 7 or 8/10ths (that's what my Porsche is for). Within this range the DWS performs as well as a Max Perf tire. The DWS tires will do fine beyond my typical driving needs, so they really aren't a compromise. In a street environment at 7/10ths, the RS6 is more then fast (faster than that tuned Eclipse I blew off yesterday. I started behind him at a left turn onto a two lane on ramp. I keep nudging forward so he knew I was coming. The light turned green, I tailed him through the wide turn onto the on-ramp, he took the wide right lane, I tucked left and was in front of him in seconds. I was doing 90+ at the top of the ramp and luckily eased off as there was a cop about 2 miles up at the next ramp. I wonder - if the Eclipse driver would sit up straight he might be able to drive better to at least hang around partway up the ramp - hehehe). So, I mistakenly said the DWS tires were a comprmise when I really meant they exactly fit my car and driving habits.

BLITZEN
March 30th, 2010, 21:03
The Vred's just came in from Performance Plus. I haven't mounted them yet but was surprised to see that they are not directional! Good news is that I'll be able to rotate them from one side to the other. The bad news is that one side will seem to be backwards from the other. Once they're mounted I'll take a picture for you all.

PatriotRSX
March 31st, 2010, 00:25
Search has left me wanting more...has anyone had experience with the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110s? Car and Driver included a version of these in their big tire review a few months back and they did pretty well.

I recently scrubbed my PS2s down to their twilight at Spring Mountain, and I need some replacements. I'm willing to spend some dough because I've done the cheap tire thing before and am fully aware of the compromises one makes with that, but I'm not gonna drop an extra grand just for the name on the sidewall, especially if it's French.

RS6VA
April 5th, 2010, 01:01
Search has left me wanting more...has anyone had experience with the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110s? Car and Driver included a version of these in their big tire review a few months back and they did pretty well.

I recently scrubbed my PS2s down to their twilight at Spring Mountain, and I need some replacements. I'm willing to spend some dough because I've done the cheap tire thing before and am fully aware of the compromises one makes with that, but I'm not gonna drop an extra grand just for the name on the sidewall, especially if it's French.

I may go with the Hankook's, I will post my thoughts if you dont bet me to it.