PDA

View Full Version : C6 RS6 Track Use Simple Modifications

sallyh
March 15th, 2010, 10:42
Hi all

I've got a C6 RS6 Avant with ceramic brakes that I take to the track several times a year. Just wondering whether anyone else here has changed anything in a simple way - i.e. tyres (from the Pirellis to something more track orientated?), the brake lines, the brake fluid, the brake pads? I had a horrible noise coming from the brakes for a while after a stone was stuck in the caliper - eventually the pads were replaced under warranty and the new pads bedded in by the dealer. Now very little noise except occasionally, and they work very well. Perhaps some weird nose wobble when braking from very fast into a corner, not sure whether it's ABS or just that the ceramics do a very good job of slowing down very quickly. Anyway, absolutely love the car and feel very lucky to have it. Would do more to it but it's pretty good as it is and I am somewhat wondering why Audi didn't do a greater horsepower one for the "plus" model of the C6? I mean, colour options are lovely etc and perhaps too much carbon fibre is never enough (and oh, I need my 3,000 favourite songs!) but surely a proper Audi 700 bhp as these tuners seem to offer is not too much of a stretch for this car to go out on?

Shoppinit
March 15th, 2010, 14:05
Sorry, wrong topic.
(http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20581-RS6-6-speed-manual-Swap-Teaser)

sallyh
March 16th, 2010, 09:32
Hi all

Well, it's been a great forum, solved my problems with the C5 DRC (helped with dealing with the dealer) and I'm extremely grateful. Hey, not to mention the blocked grommets and the flooded footwell issue. Also the OEM brakepads and the dodgy sensors. Never had any transmission issues. Loved the V8 sound but with no-one seeming to have a V10 here, moving on. Best wishes to you all with your cars.

Erik
March 16th, 2010, 12:18
There are people with the V10 here, but considering how few that have been built not as many as the good old C5.

And very few track their C6, I can think of no one, and I think also the ceramics will limited the amount of people even more.

Most race teams will not run ceramic, but use steel instead.

If you ever have the possibility, do try a tuned 700-something RS6.

I hade the opportunity to try the MTM (at the time ~670 hp) vs. stock on the same day.
It's not only the power, but also sound etc., and the tuning was at an early stage then.
Now you can tune the suspension etc. as well.

These guys could be able to help you with anything that has to do with brakes, but a bit remote: http://www.peansweden.se/konfor.htm

How about these guys? http://www.dba.com.au/

Good luck! And please stay around.

sallyh
March 17th, 2010, 07:50
Hi

Thanks - fair enough and points taken. Will try those sites. Just wish those with the V10s would speak up a bit more often!

best wishes

Jimmy
March 17th, 2010, 17:06
All I ever do is go with Ate DOT4 brake fluid and new pads. The stock C5 brakes are more than adequate IMO, if one drives sensibly and within both their and the car's limits.

I pump up tires to 45psi too. Street tires are fine for casual track days....but a set of Michelin Pilot Sports and liteweight rims like a Kosei K1 sure make it all that much nicer.

Bushy
March 17th, 2010, 19:57
Havent been on a track day yet but looking forward to one

I would just use the standard car, I wish I had ceramic anchors though ;-(

sallyh
March 18th, 2010, 09:56
Hi

As I've said, I'm interested in simple modifications (my own limitations, not the car's!). Much as I'd love a 700 hp+ car, I'm not that knowledgeable (but heh, anyone in Australia with one, if I can drive yours, you can drive and compare and contrast my standard car just to remind you how far you have come!) The ceramic brakes are great in that they are very quick to grip. It's a bit hard to go back to anything else as the feel is so extremely immediate. But I'm very aware that this is an autobahn car, not a track car, so perhaps the ceramics are not up to repeated extreme accelerations/decelerations in terms of pads and brake lines? Perhaps the main features are this quick grip, less brake dust and long life rotors? Any thoughts on the issue as the weight of the engine is over the front axle and how this might influence how you should do tyre pressures? One of the joys of the V10 is the tyre temperature sensor which shows that the fronts get significantly warmer than the rears. Working on the theory to inflate the tyres 10 psi or so over the recommended for track days (flexing tyre walls from not adequetely inflated tyres generate heat), perhaps inflate the fronts more because of the weight they carry, so perhaps less flex, less heat, better handing? Don't know. Will give it a go. If anyone has experimented, would be interested to know.

Bushy
March 18th, 2010, 11:21
Nice post, I only ever experimented on tyre pressures on the track on my B5 RS4 as i wanted it to be a bit more tail happy so it would drift

I also would be intrested if anyone has played with this?

mdk
March 25th, 2010, 13:26
sallyh, did you get yours on the track?
I got mine and the only recommendation I have is to use racing brake fluids (I used ATE super blue racing).
Enjoy it!

sallyh
March 26th, 2010, 05:46
Thanks mdk. Will give the ATE super blue racing a go. I asked the dealership quite a while ago about brake fluid and they said "you tell us want you want and we'll change it". Have taken it to the track a few times and loved it. The road speed limit here is at most 110 kms, so it's great to be able to give it a real go. Driving to and from the track is not too bad either! The car seems fine with it, no issues so far, and it's probably a good thing to stress it a bit to show anything up before the warranty expires in a couple of years.