PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Transmission removed!

650RS
March 15th, 2010, 09:30
Guys,

Just letting you know I have removed the drivetrain from my '6 and if anyone needs detailed pictures just let me know.

The plan is to see if we can upgrade to garrett turbos, custom manifolds and dump pipes.

Plan for the transmission is a upgraded conveter, upgraded VB(already done) and rebuild/upgraded internals to see how long it lasts.

I want to bed down the engine before I undertake the 6MT conversion as the engine removal isnt as hard as many people think.

Cheers

Shoppinit
March 15th, 2010, 10:31
Cool. In what way was the engine removal easier than you thought it would be?

650RS
March 15th, 2010, 10:33
The engine was removed by dropping the cross member complete, this was also done at home without a hoist.

Cheers

Shoppinit
March 15th, 2010, 10:37
This sounds quite encouraging. I can see my self removing the engine one day because I'm suicidally curious that way!

I'll be interested to have your impressions of the VB and TC combo when you get the whole lot running. IIRC you're going MAFless, too?

Good luck for the rest!

650RS
March 15th, 2010, 12:23
I will keep you posted, any questions just ask....

snoopra
March 15th, 2010, 12:49
What did you use to lift the car?

650RS
March 15th, 2010, 12:54
I had the engine on jack stands, I used the jack to suppourt the back of the transmission, I then tensioned the engine with the crane while unbolting the cross member once unbolted I slowly lowered the engine/transmission down and then dropped the rear of the car to raise the front even more and then rolled the lot out on the crane.

Hope this makes sense....

hahnmgh63
March 15th, 2010, 13:17
So you removed the front end of the car also to make room for the crane & sling/chains to roll out of the engine bay?

650RS
March 15th, 2010, 13:27
Firstly, Id like to say that I am not a qualified mechanic but I have undertaken mechanical work which in my opinion isnt hard to do properly if you go about it with a plan and with common sense.....

Procedure used (not detailed):

Drain fluids.
Remove radiator suppourt.
Disconnect harness.
Disconnect all lines and hoses from top of engine.
Disconnect all lines and hoses from bottom along with exhaust and tailshaft.
Place jack under trasnmission (on case not pan)
Connect chain to lifting points on the rear of both heads, tension jack to ensure engine weight is suppourted.
Remove rear cross member bolts slowly, watching the crossmember split from body
Once bolts are fully removed lower jack slowly until rear of transmission is down
Disconnect shifter cable from transmisison
Lower engine crane and let the crossmember/engine/transmission sit on crane legs.

I will be leaving the assembly on the crane legs while I work out what turbo options will fit while retaining the tiptronic transmisison, once that is worked out I will remove the engine/trasnsmission from cross member to replace all control arm, bushings etc then split engine/box to send the box and converter to be worked up.

I will also be pulling the heads off the engine to send them away for porting along with the inlet manifold.

Hope this answers some questions....

DHall1
March 15th, 2010, 17:34
This could be good information. Glad to hear this can be done on jack stands.

I think some general pics of the process would have a great value. Not really this bolt and that bolt. But a chapter heading such as front end off/pic, crane attached/pic, pulling engine/trans forward/pic.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/Thermostatdiy.jpg?t=1268673419

vikingrs6
March 15th, 2010, 17:39
This could be good information. Glad to hear this can be done on jack stands.

I think some general pics of the process would have a great value. Not really this bolt and that bolt. But a chapter heading such as front end off/pic, crane attached/pic, pulling engine/trans forward/pic.

Yep, I think that would be really useful also..

terrytcl
March 15th, 2010, 20:28
yeah, i'd be interested too

:)

SteveKen
March 15th, 2010, 20:47
I'd be interested in seeing how much room there is between the starter and downpipes. Particularly, how much garbage is around the starter.

Btw, there'd be much more room for some bigger turbos if you were to convert that automatic to a manual. ;)

650RS
March 15th, 2010, 22:21
I'd be interested in seeing how much room there is between the starter and downpipes. Particularly, how much garbage is around the starter.

Btw, there'd be much more room for some bigger turbos if you were to convert that automatic to a manual. ;)

I know.... If you had the kit for sale I would have purchased one already....

650RS
March 16th, 2010, 11:01
Guys,

An update...

These are the OEM turbo dimensions - http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/650RS/RS6K04Dimensions.jpg

and the garrett's I plan on using if they fit - http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/650RS/Garrett_GT2871R_472560_15_771847_1_.jpg

The specifications for these turbos are here: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2871R_472560_15.htm

rs6fred
December 30th, 2014, 07:47
Can you please send me pics of your engine and trans removal?

4everRS
December 30th, 2014, 13:29
This thread is nearly 5 years old and the op is listed as banned.

SteveKen
December 30th, 2014, 16:50
Can you please send me pics of your engine and trans removal?

What are you looking for in particular?

I just pulled my engine two days ago to install new downpipes among things.

It's still out, so I can take some detailed pictures if you want.

Bigglezworth
December 30th, 2014, 17:09
What are you looking for in particular?

I just pulled my engine two days ago to install new downpipes among things.

It's still out, so I can take some detailed pictures if you want.Ditto to this, except I have the 5Tip still hooked up while Ken has a 6MT hooked up. I also have both turbos off, timinig belt off, SAI removed, alternator off, etc., currently while I overhaul each so less clutter. What are you looking to get photo(s) specifically?

rs6fred
December 30th, 2014, 18:49
I would like a step by step if you could pls.

SteveKen
December 30th, 2014, 19:02
I would like a step by step if you could pls.

Oh boy. This is not so simple.

Bigglezworth
December 30th, 2014, 23:55
I would like a step by step if you could pls.That's pretty darn funny....

Step #1. Purchase a Bentley Service Manual.

Seriously though. It's an exhausting undertaking for even the more seasoned mechanically experienced person, and there are so many steps (and tricks for that matter), that make it a slightly different undertaking each time, that documenting it as a 'step-by-step' I simply won't do. This is open heart surgery and a solid 20-30 hours depending on access to hoists, engine lifts, space, tools, etc. I welcome you dropping me a line via PM where we could exchange phone numbers so as to talk on the phone, but that is as far as I am able to go with providing a breakdown of all the things you need to do in order to complete the surgery.

T.