PDA

View Full Version : Sportec lower air vent mod

V8weight
March 14th, 2010, 01:30
I saw that the Sportec RS600 as well as the intercooler kit come with these lower engine shield vents. I figured I could replicate them for a lot less money, like $8.00. All it took was some 1"x1" angle aluminum, and some 3/16" rivets. First layout a pattern (I used 3/4" masking tape).
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/001-6.jpg
Next cut out the openings (I used a pneumatic mini sawzall, but a keyhole saw would work), and then clean up your cuts with a file.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/002-10.jpg
Then cut the aluminum angle stock to fit the openings, mark your holes, drill, then rivet them in place.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/005-9.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/006-9.jpg
I also wanted to redo those rubber brake cooling dams that were scraped off of my lower shield, so sacrificed an Impala front air dam that I found at work. It's a heavy plastic rather than the rubber that they were originally made of.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/007-10.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/008-4.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/009-5.jpg
And done.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/012-3.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/013-3.jpg

ben916
March 14th, 2010, 03:54
AWESOME!!!!

Is that gonna help with cooling?
Any interference with the serp belt?

V8weight
March 14th, 2010, 04:18
AWESOME!!!!

Is that gonna help with cooling?
Any interference with the serp belt?
It should help with cooling by creating a pull behind the radiator draw more air through the coolers, as well as blowing cool air that hasn't already passed through the radiator over the entire engine and over the turbo's before it exits the rear of the engine compartment. The angle of the picture lies, the vent doesn't actually come near the serp belt at all. For reference, here's a pic of these vents on the original Sportec RS600 promotional car.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/attachment-12.jpg

4everRS
March 14th, 2010, 04:58
very neat Pat. Now, getting to be time to take off those winter tires soon.

DHall1
March 14th, 2010, 05:02
I see who had fun today.

Dammit I was planting Pygmy Palm trees around the pool and shoveling the rock borders from my 6 ton delivery this week. 15tons coming next week to level and redress the RV parking area.

No more fun in AZ.

I gotta pull my bumper to fix that sensor and that will be the time to cut my lower panel.

V8weight
March 14th, 2010, 05:10
Dave, do you need a plug to fill the remaining hole from the sensor relocation relocation? I have some spares, I keep meaning to mail one out. You may as well clear your side markers, add some vents....make a day of it.

ben916
March 14th, 2010, 07:59
so the front set is angled down and out of the engine compartment and the rear set is angled in and up into the engine compartment... it is difficult to determine but it is more of a confirmation.

also, It looks like 10 fasteners to take that tray out/down?
I remember a thread when I was first lurking about a c/f tray for $7k and it was to assist in cooling (fellow was located in Saudi or UAE)

Mr Balsen
March 14th, 2010, 08:52
I have the same mod on my RS6.
And you can feel the heat going out when the electric fans are on !!!!

Frederic

Ruergard
March 14th, 2010, 08:54
Very interesting, should help with the cooling. Keep us posted!

skribe
March 14th, 2010, 13:33
Nice job. The Pumas even made and appearance. :applause:

Do these cars have problems with excessive engine room heat? Haven't driven in hot weather yet.

V8weight
March 14th, 2010, 15:52
so the front set is angled down and out of the engine compartment and the rear set is angled in and up into the engine compartment... it is difficult to determine but it is more of a confirmation.

also, It looks like 10 fasteners to take that tray out/down?
I remember a thread when I was first lurking about a c/f tray for $7k and it was to assist in cooling (fellow was located in Saudi or UAE)
Correct, the front diffuser angles down, the rear angles up. There are actually 14 fasteners retaining the lower engine shield, there are 2 more in each wheel well holding the shield to the wheel liners. All you need is a stubby flat head screwdriver to remove the whole thing.

Do these cars have problems with excessive engine room heat? Haven't driven in hot weather yet.
These things produce massive amounts of heat. For reference, on my way down to Arizona I was flying through the mountains of western New Mexico (the ambient temperature was about 40f) and you could actually feel the heat coming out of the center console after prolonged driving. So much so that it was actually fooling the climate control temp sensor and the air conditioning kept kicking on. Any way you can move more heat out of this engine bay is definitely an attribute.

Golffather
March 14th, 2010, 19:51
It should help with cooling by creating a pull behind the radiator draw more air through the coolers, as well as blowing cool air that hasn't already passed through the radiator over the entire engine and over the turbo's before it exits the rear of the engine compartment. The angle of the picture lies, the vent doesn't actually come near the serp belt at all. For reference, here's a pic of these vents on the original Sportec RS600 promotional car.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/attachment-12.jpg

Damn, that is one very clean under-carriage! Is this car ever driven?! ;)

JRS-RS6
March 14th, 2010, 22:07
That looks really slick Pat. Now I want to do that too maybe after the upgraded brake fluid and looking into the ICs. I'm bit tired after traveling 30 hours though. I Should be back next weekend and perhaps we can meet some time during the week before I have to leave again. Now back to South Park in Germany it's like almost 11 PM here......

V8weight
March 15th, 2010, 01:30
That looks really slick Pat. Now I want to do that too maybe after the upgraded brake fluid and looking into the ICs. I'm bit tired after traveling 30 hours though. I Should be back next weekend and perhaps we can meet some time during the week before I have to leave again. Now back to South Park in Germany it's like almost 11 PM here......
James, if you want to do this to your car let me know. I bought 2 extra pieces of angle stock in a different size that I need to return. If you want to add these vents I'll just exchange them for the correct size. I saw the links for where you're staying, wow. If I had to travel for work that would be the scenery I would want to see from my hotel window. Hell, I doubt I'll ever see that on a planned vacation.

V8weight
March 15th, 2010, 01:32
Damn, that is one very clean under-carriage! Is this car ever driven?! ;)
Yeah, that was a Sportec press car, so essentially a brand new car with the RS600 conversion. Makes me sick. You saw the bottom of my car, it looks like it's been driven through a cactus patch compared to that.

JRS-RS6
March 15th, 2010, 01:36
I am interested in doing this when I get back also I have lots of pics from other trips I can show you at some point but I do not have them all with me right now.

DHall1
March 15th, 2010, 02:29
Mr Puma is the man.

And yes, the underhood temps go out of this world in the summer. This vent is a must do on any list. It just so happens summer is on the way for me and I have to take my bumper off anyways to move the temp sensor and touch up some under side scrapes. Doc Winer must have had a favorite spot at school that just scraped the lower tray. Dammit.

Pygmy palms are in and most of the rock is laid down. Arrrrrgh, 75/sunny and I was out there playing Mr Landscaper today.

V8weight
March 15th, 2010, 02:34
Pygmy palms are in and most of the rock is laid down. Arrrrrgh, 75/sunny and I was out there playing Mr Landscaper today.
Am I mistaken, or can't you just pick up a whole crew down there standing outside a home depot for like $50 a day?

DHall1
March 15th, 2010, 02:36
I wont pay the 50.

I may shoot them before they leave for screwing up this that or the other.

Am I mistaken, or can't you just pick up a whole crew down there at a home depot for like $50 a day?

V8weight
March 15th, 2010, 02:39
I wont pay the 50.

I may shoot them before they leave for screwing up this that or the other.
Aahahah, squeak squeak squeak.

LIRS6
March 15th, 2010, 18:12
Nice work! Any issues with respect to water intrusion, say if you are going through a substantial puddle where the tires might splash water up through the openings? Is that an area of concern at all?

DHall1
March 15th, 2010, 18:30
Given the location, I would say no.

Now, if you drove into a lake of water the water would actually be scooped up by the lower rad opening and shoved thru the lower grille and into this cavity. The hole would actually allow water to escape in this situation.

A funny story, back in the early 90s when Chevy came up with the ZR1 Corvette....they made the lower cold air intake too low. Guess what happened? Yep, water got in there and blew some 40,000 dollar marine ZR1 engines. Haha, the dealers could not touch these engines even to adjust valve lash. A new crate engine had to be sent out.

I think the sportec mod is safe for the masses.

Nice work! Any issues with respect to water intrusion, say if you are going through a substantial puddle where the tires might splash water up through the openings? Is that an area of concern at all?

V8weight
March 15th, 2010, 21:57
Here's two additional photo's of the shield after cutting the holes, the second pic shows two extra cuts that have to be made for clearance of the aluminum.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/003-9.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/004-10.jpg

ben916
March 15th, 2010, 22:24
Here's two additional photo's of the shield after cutting the holes, the second pic shows two extra cuts that have to be made for clearance of the aluminum.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/003-9.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/004-10.jpg

How come you didn't do a Dhall1 special on the tray????

pressure wash,
power scrub,
pressure wash again,
lp air to dry all the high quality H2O,
scuff with 120 grit,
clear coat 1,
clear coat 2,
clear coat 3,
clear coat 4

Who loves ya dave? :)

V8weight
March 15th, 2010, 22:44

pressure wash,
power scrub,
pressure wash again,
scuff with 120 grit,
clear coat 1,
clear coat 2,
clear coat 3,
clear coat 4

Oh, believe me, the spring under-body cleaning is coming. It just seemed pointless to even waste a rag on it when winter could pounce right back at any time in March in Minnesota.

arS6
March 16th, 2010, 02:59
James, if you want to do this to your car let me know. I bought 2 extra pieces of angle stock in a different size that I need to return. If you want to add these vents I'll just exchange them for the correct size. I saw the links for where you're staying, wow. If I had to travel for work that would be the scenery I would want to see from my hotel window. Hell, I doubt I'll ever see that on a planned vacation.

Great job! I think I will do the same. Exactly what size is the correct angle stock that you used?

V8weight
March 16th, 2010, 03:09
Great job! I think I will do the same. Exactly what size is the correct angle stock that you used?
1"x1"x1/16" Home Depot had it in 3 foot lengths.

DHall1
March 16th, 2010, 03:35
I got your special right here.

pressure wash,
power scrub,
pressure wash again,
scuff with 120 grit,
clear coat 1,
clear coat 2,
clear coat 3,
clear coat 4

skribe
March 16th, 2010, 03:36

pressure wash,
power scrub,
pressure wash again,
scuff with 120 grit,
clear coat 1,
clear coat 2,
clear coat 3,
clear coat 4

you forgot
clear coat 5,
mop 'n glo application
43 posts on RS6.com

gooseleg
March 16th, 2010, 16:17
What about using a piece of mesh to repel rocks?

V8weight
March 16th, 2010, 16:20
What about using a piece of mesh to repel rocks?
I thought about that, but there sould be a ton of air moving out of this thing. Enough to repel a rock? Time will tell. I'll see what I can find as far as some kind of mesh or grate, I have something in mind.

ben916
March 16th, 2010, 17:05
Pat, not all of us have access to an Impala front air dam scraps... what do you suggest as a replacement?

Also that screen thing would be good but what is stopping foreign matter from going into one of the V vents?

V8weight
March 16th, 2010, 22:29
Pat, not all of us have access to an Impala front air dam scraps... what do you suggest as a replacement?

Also that screen thing would be good but what is stopping foreign matter from going into one of the V vents?
Those two pieces that I made for the intercooler outlets from the Impala air dam aren't part of the Sportec modification, they're already on your car. I was just replacing mine because they were chewed up. Or are yours bad too? I don't know what other material would suffice, I walked around Home Depot for an hour looking for some kind of rubber flashing to do the job with no luck. That's when I stopped by the shop and started digging through the un-returned parts of the past bin. I suppose you could just go out and buy some cheap Yosemite Sam back off mudflaps and cut them up.

DHall1
March 17th, 2010, 00:20
Ben,

Cut the mudflaps off your wifes Infinity. Slap those bad boys down there.

.....running for cover.

Those two pieces that I made for the intercooler outlets from the Impala air dam aren't part of the Sportec modification, they're already on your car. I was just replacing mine because they were chewed up. Or are yours bad too? I don't know what other material would suffice, I walked around Home Depot for an hour looking for some kind of rubber flashing to do the job with no luck. That's when I stopped by the shop and started digging through the un-returned parts of the past bin. I suppose you could just go out and buy some cheap Yosemite Sam back off mudflaps and cut them up.

ben916
March 17th, 2010, 05:01
Ben,

Cut the mudflaps off your wifes Infinity. Slap those bad boys down there.

.....running for cover.

It's an MDX and she would get my Python out and fricken' shoot me!!
Be warned, she is a good shot....

I like the Yosemite Sam idea...

DHall1
March 17th, 2010, 12:53
Yeah,

Acura not Infiniti(sp)

hehe, mine is an even better shot.

It's an MDX and she would get my Python out and fricken' shoot me!!
Be warned, she is a good shot....

I like the Yosemite Sam idea...

MaxRS6
March 18th, 2010, 02:22
Very nice job Pat ! I too would think that a grate or screen might be helpful. With that said, it is great you share your handiwork and ideas with all of us- and I thought you were just a pretty face..;0

V8weight
March 28th, 2010, 21:39
You wanted screens, you got your screens. It said on the package it should repel not only stray rocks and road debris, but also chickens and rabbits. JRS-RS6 came over yesterday and we did his vent mod as well as stainless steel brake lines, and Motul RBF 660 brake fluid on both of our cars, and a trans fluid change on my car.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/001-7.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/004-11.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/006-10.jpg

gooseleg
March 28th, 2010, 21:49
It looks great

MaxRS6
March 28th, 2010, 22:51
Very very nice Pat! That should keep the vermin out..

JRS-RS6
March 29th, 2010, 02:23
Oil temp running about 20 to 30 degrees lower on the ride home this afternoon. Thanks Pat. James

V8weight
March 29th, 2010, 03:27
Oil temp running about 20 to 30 degrees lower on the ride home this afternoon. Thanks Pat. James
It's hard to believe what a difference it makes isn't it? Glad it worked out, another satisfied customer of the "Pat cave".

ben916
March 29th, 2010, 06:29
sounds like some of the SD connection needs a place to do some wicked mods like this....

DHall1
March 29th, 2010, 14:54
That is a big difference. Amazing really.

Ok, ok.....I gotta get out in the garage and get this done.

4everRS
March 31st, 2010, 20:13
Ok Pat and James, now that you've had this done for a little while, is there any noticable increase of wind noise on the highway? Are the temps still showing 20 degrees cooler?

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 00:54
Ok Pat and James, now that you've had this done for a little while, is there any noticable increase of wind noise on the highway? Are the temps still showing 20 degrees cooler?
Oil temps are still running 15-20 degrees lower (at least in my case, I can't speak for James). There isn't any additional wind noise, as this is an exit for air, not an entrance. When the car's parked and the fans are running, it's absolutely amazing how much hot air is rushing out through the vent.

JRS-RS6
April 1st, 2010, 01:47
Pat summed it up. Temp still down about 20 degrees, no additional wind noise. Tons of hot air comes out when the car is sitting still and the fans are running.

DHall1
April 1st, 2010, 03:00
STOP ALREADY!!!!!

I got to get out in the garage and start cutting.

Oh crap, we're going out with the motorhome this weekend. Oh crap, the grass is starting to grow like crazy. Oh crap, my honey do list is running out the door.

Pat summed it up. Temp still down about 20 degrees, no additional wind noise. Tons of hot air comes out when the car is sitting still and the fans are running.

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 03:10
Alright, I got out my crayons and drew a diagram of the measurements for the holes if you're looking to do this yourself. The nice thing is that there is a line molded into the shield that you can use as your rear datum line. The rest is just measurements off of that line.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/engineshield.jpg

snoopra
April 1st, 2010, 03:52
Great job with the crayola, Pat! Yet another skill:0:

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 04:07
I couldn't find my crayons, but went all out with the felt tip marker. It looked really good on paper, but apparently the scanner is really unforgiving. It gets the point across anyhow.

4everRS
April 1st, 2010, 04:14
Is the mesh you guys used steel or aluminum? I have seen a lot of steel mesh at the hardware store, but can't remember if aluminum is common.

Awesome rendering Pat.

Really, everyone should do this easy and inexpensive mod.

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 04:17
Is the mesh you guys used steel or aluminum? I have seen a lot of steel mesh at the hardware store, but can't remember if aluminum is common.
I'm not running any mesh in mine, still wide open. James' car has galvanized steel mesh. I couldn't find aluminum mesh anywhere.

4everRS
April 1st, 2010, 04:24
OK just realized this. How is the mesh secured on the front where the alum angle is protruding trough the bottom. Do you have a 1" strip 'sandwiching' it in place?

MaxRS6
April 1st, 2010, 04:25
Dang- Nice schematic! Uhhh- I think I prefer just to fedex my cover to the Pat cave- Would you trade it out for a bright new shiny guitar string??- LOL j/k. I think I could even follow your well laid out diagram and instructions. Again- very nicely done Pat!

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 04:30
OK just realized this. How is the mesh secured on the front where the alum angle is protruding trough the bottom. Do you have a 1" strip 'sandwiching' it in place?
Exactly, I had to sandwich the screen in between the 1" angle stock and an additional piece of 1"x1/8" flat stock. You can kind of see it in this pic.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/003-10.jpg

4everRS
April 1st, 2010, 04:35
Awesome, off to the hardware store tomorrow. I think that the mesh builders use to stucco houses is aluminum. I think my in-laws have some laying around, that i'll use. I was wondering how I'd spend my Easter weekend.

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 04:37
Dang- Nice schematic! Uhhh- I think I prefer just to fedex my cover to the Pat cave- Would you trade it out for a bright new shiny guitar string??- LOL j/k. I think I could even follow your well laid out diagram and instructions. Again- very nicely done Pat!
Sure, send it over. Although 6 strings would prove more useful than one.

MaxRS6
April 1st, 2010, 04:50
^ Surely if I can get along with one tooth- you can make it work with a single string...;0

http://k53.pbase.com/o6/11/653911/1/74437944.lxG9bgDg.IMG_3086.JPG

ben916
April 1st, 2010, 04:50
Sure, send it over. Although 6 strings would prove more useful than one.

Parts list:
2 - 3' sections of aluminum 1"x1" 90 angle stock
2 - 3' sections of aluminum 1"x1/8" flat ribbon stock
6'x6" roll/section of galvanized steel screen material (what about the rubberized coated version? looks like rabbit fencing)
Rivet gun (do the rivets come in colors? Pat's are silver, James is black)
Pneumatic cutting wheel.

Anything else? (said like Capt Barbosa from Pirates after Parlay with Elizabeth)

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 05:07
Parts list:
2 - 3' sections of aluminum 1"x1" 90 angle stock
2 - 3' sections of aluminum 1"x1/8" flat ribbon stock
6'x6" roll/section of galvanized steel screen material (what about the rubberized coated version? looks like rabbit fencing)
Rivet gun (do the rivets come in colors? Pat's are silver, James is black)
Pneumatic cutting wheel.

Anything else? (said like Capt Barbosa from Pirates after Parlay with Elizabeth)
You'll only need one 3 foot section of the 1" flat stock as it's only needed in the front where the angle protrudes down. Rivets do come in different colors, I used the black corrosion resistant coated rivets on both mine and James cars. The coated screen sounds like a good idea, I'd like to see it when you get some. It sounds like you pretty much have everything covered. Don't forget, a 3/16" drill bit, some files wouldn't hurt, and I would probably drill some 3/8" holes in the shield and use a hand or jig saw to cut the openings. If you try to use a cutoff wheel, the plastic melts back together as you go.

V8weight
April 1st, 2010, 05:15
^ Surely if I can get along with one tooth- you can make it work with a single string...;0

http://k53.pbase.com/o6/11/653911/1/74437944.lxG9bgDg.IMG_3086.JPG
When did you get the new tooth?

4everRS
April 3rd, 2010, 04:11
Got back from church and did this today.
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/RS6brakesandpan004.jpg
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/RS6brakesandpan005.jpg
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/RS6brakesandpan001.jpg

4everRS
April 3rd, 2010, 04:14
I also had some random cracks in the pan and used the pieces I cut out for the vent and riveted them over the cracks as a brace. Worked out pretty slick.

Oh, and contrary to a previous post I made on this thread, the mesh for stucco is galvanized steel, not aluminum as previously thought. Still worked pretty good and has the same pattern as the grill, as if anyone will see it.

ben916
April 3rd, 2010, 06:10
I also had some random cracks in the pan and used the pieces I cut out for the vent and riveted them over the cracks as a brace. Worked out pretty slick.

Oh, and contrary to a previous post I made on this thread, the mesh for stucco is galvanized steel, not aluminum as previously thought. Still worked pretty good and has the same pattern as the grill, as if anyone will see it.

so I made a trip to HD for the parts, called John (AUDI5000CSTQ) to see if he was going to do this and if he had a place to install this mod.
$37
galvanized grating = $8.99
flat plate = $8.75
angle plate = $6.64
gloves = $9.99 - cuz I program/type all day and can't very well type with cut up fangers, y'all..

the flat plate was thicker than the angle...

How long was the install?

V8weight
April 3rd, 2010, 12:55
How long was the install?
Takes about 1.5 hours, or for a programmer/typist about 2.5 hours :)
I ran into the same issue when we bought the materials for James' vent. We used the 1"x1/16" angle, but could only find 1'x1/8" flat stock.

4everRS
April 3rd, 2010, 15:10
Ace Hardware for me:

1x1x48 angle = $6.99 (1/16" thick)
1x1x48 flat = $4.99 (1/16" thick)
Rivet gun = $14.99
Alum rivets = $5.99 (3/16" dia. ; 1/8 - 3/8" range)
Mesh screen = FREE (in-laws had some laying around)

Total = $32.96 before tax

Took me about 2 hours

ben916
April 3rd, 2010, 16:43
Takes about 1.5 hours, or for a programmer/typist about 2.5 hours :)

As long I have my red stapler...

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 3rd, 2010, 19:36
Ben,
In palm springs this weekend.
I like the one piece mod
Will do at Alex when I get back.

LIRS6
April 4th, 2010, 05:33
Gents - why the angle material? Is it for stiffening purposes? And why have the angle down in the front of the opening, and up in the rear?

V8weight
April 4th, 2010, 06:18
Gents - why the angle material? Is it for stiffening purposes? And why have the angle down in the front of the opening, and up in the rear?

I'll explain the aerodynamics of it tomorrow. As of right now I'm out maintaining the delicate balance between my girlfriend and my car obsession.

SAFE4NOW
April 4th, 2010, 15:01
I'll explain the aerodynamics of it tomorrow. As of right now I'm out maintaining the delicate balance between my girlfriend and my car obsession.

Speaking of aerodynamic's... I'm wondering if this is where I "lost" the mph on the top end at the Texas Mile... everything else seems to be working well.

S

RS6Steve
April 4th, 2010, 20:43
I am doing this mod next week. She run so hot sometimes, 15-20 lower would be great. Will I be the first in the UK?

snoopra
April 4th, 2010, 22:58
Speaking of aerodynamic's... I'm wondering if this is where I "lost" the mph on the top end at the Texas Mile... everything else seems to be working well.
S I'm sure it would cause you to lose downforce or something like that

DHall1
April 4th, 2010, 23:05
There is a very real reason for the leading edge to point down. Much the same way a rear spoiler points up. It will create a low pressure area behind the spoiler and act to evac the hot air from behind the radiator.

You will also loose that .012 of drag but do you want a cool 4.2tt with 3mph less terminal velocity or a hot 4.2 with 3mph more terminal velocity?

That is the question.

DHall1
April 4th, 2010, 23:58
Where did duck-foot-rat put the extra rolls of cotton tails?

I dont know....call him. He is out golfing again. Dammit leaving us here to tape up this stupid aero theory.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/pit-stop.jpg?t=1270421565

ben916
April 5th, 2010, 01:11
Dave's busy checking the house for any things that fell with the 6.9 earthquake in Mexico.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 5th, 2010, 02:39
Make that a 7.2 now.
Thank goodness the RS is left in the street.
The garage is left for truely one of a kind classics.

ben916
April 5th, 2010, 03:48
Make that a 7.2 now.
Thank goodness the RS is left in the street.
The garage is left for truely one of a kind classics.

classic like this?
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20731-1984-Audi-Quattro-Sport-Street-Version-For-Sale

ben916
April 11th, 2010, 05:49
tic toc.....

V8weight
April 11th, 2010, 15:20
tic toc.....
And what are we waiting for?

DHall1
April 11th, 2010, 17:41
you were going to give us your aero lesson.

still waiting

And what are we waiting for?

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 11th, 2010, 19:16
Well, last night Ben and I got permission to "waste" a night at the shop.
We went to my friends Alex's' shop, a master MB mechanic, but keeps my fleet operating.
Having a lift made things so much easier. Ben and I decided we liked the grilled protection but not the internal up angled piece. It looked to be too close to the oil pan, as both of our belly pans already had show through wear why risk driving the metal up into the oil pan.
Ben had a good idea of placing rubber between the grill and metal. Alex used 3M upholstery spray glue to attach the a cut in half rubber bike inner tube to the backing support. Thanks to V8weight's diagram, things went pretty well. First mine took 2.5 hours, then after we knew what we were doing Ben's took 1.5 hours. You will note in the photos we don't use 5 coats of mop and glow on our cars. sorry I don't know how to organize the photos but you get the idea. All and all had fun but I'm still picking metal shavings out of my arms.

DHall1
April 11th, 2010, 19:44
64000 dollar question.

Did Ben finally get those brake pads installed?

128000 dollar question.

How soon can we get the RS6 attack on Julian planned. I will bring MopnGlow

ben916
April 11th, 2010, 20:03
64000 dollar question.

Did Ben finally get those brake pads installed?

128000 dollar question.

How soon can we get the RS6 attack on Julian planned. I will bring MopnGlow

No brake pads, yet... gonna have Alex evaluate the rotors as it might be past the point, not sure...
I think that it would be better served to get new ones and resurface(if possible) the old ones for a track/race day

more like the 4500 hp question... :)

John, great time! Still have aluminum/metal slivers in my hand from the cut-off wheel..

V8weight
April 11th, 2010, 22:02
you were going to give us your aero lesson.

still waiting

There is a very real reason for the leading edge to point down. Much the same way a rear spoiler points up. It will create a low pressure area behind the spoiler and act to evac the hot air from behind the radiator.

You will also loose that .012 of drag but do you want a cool 4.2tt with 3mph less terminal velocity or a hot 4.2 with 3mph more terminal velocity?

That is the question.
Looks like you already took care of that, I didn't see any room for elaboration. :) John and Ben, looks good. It's cool to see this idea evolve as it goes along. I don't think there are two of these vents on the board that look the same.

DHall1
April 12th, 2010, 01:50
Do we agree on the aero position? I wanted a different perspective but if we agree then time for a beer.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 12th, 2010, 02:33
What is the aero question?
BTW DOW up 96 in pre-market for Monday
Run DVN run

DHall1
April 12th, 2010, 03:10
Not like we have any skin in the game.

Go DVN Go!! Break 67.30 and its game over rover. We did not break below the thur high on friday. Very, very good. And its always easier to buy chicken dinners with an extra 9k in your pocket. Chicken dinners on John.

Aero and why this works from above..

That is the question.

What is the aero question?
BTW DOW up 96 in pre-market for Monday
Run DVN run

V8weight
April 12th, 2010, 04:04
Alright, time to dig out the crayons again. First of all, don't listen to me, I'm not a physics major, or even educated for that matter, but here's my limited understanding of the aerodynamics behind this vent.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/Image2.jpg

DHall1
April 12th, 2010, 05:43
Winner winner chicken dinner!

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh459/Cdnstoneman/blogbanner-1.gif?t=1251379385

Alright, time to dig out the crayons again. First of all, don't listen to me, I'm not a physics major, or even educated for that matter, but here's my limited understanding of the aerodynamics behind this vent.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/Image2.jpg

4everRS
April 15th, 2010, 15:53
Even when the car is sitting still with the fans running, it is really amazing the hot air that is being blown out of this vent. After taking several hard runs to triple digits, I get out of the car with the engine still running and the fans on, I feel under the pan and there is a lot of heat escaping the vent. Also, after those runs, you can see the oil temp increase, then during a "cool down" drive home, you can watch the oil temp needle going down. This is proof to me that this easy and inexpensive mod is worth way more than what I put in to it.

I am very happy I did this.

RS6Steve
April 19th, 2010, 19:34
Did this today, the distructions were a great help. I ran some logs before hand and will run some more over the next day or so so you can all see the difference, thats if anyone is interested?

ben916
April 19th, 2010, 19:39
Did this today, the distructions were a great help. I ran some logs before hand and will run some more over the next day or so so you can all see the difference, thats if anyone is interested?

I believe there are quite a few interested that haven't done the mod...
Having done this mod, I would be interested in the logs.

Did you use both angles internal/external or external and then flat internal?

hahnmgh63
April 19th, 2010, 19:47
I did the mod last week myself, but I only used the front angle, I'm not really sure the rear one would be required, it may help slightly to direct the airflow but would have to be slight. I used some left over stainless stell venting from the front oil cooler opening on my '74 911 RS clone, it should work great.

Mr Balsen
April 19th, 2010, 19:50
Even when the car is sitting still with the fans running, it is really amazing the hot air that is being blown out of this vent. After taking several hard runs to triple digits, I get out of the car with the engine still running and the fans on, I feel under the pan and there is a lot of heat escaping the vent. Also, after those runs, you can see the oil temp increase, then during a "cool down" drive home, you can watch the oil temp needle going down. This is proof to me that this easy and inexpensive mod is worth way more than what I put in to it.

I am very happy I did this.

I did the same mod on my RS6 and notice exactly the same thing. Yes it is efficient. Period...

RS6Steve
April 19th, 2010, 19:52
I only fitted the external, with flat internal and used Ally grill meshing as the cover. I did not want anything too big as a stone could flick in.

Pic not the best. Used my i-Phone, does not do it justice, I'm quite Impressed with my handy work, We will see what happens.

ben916
April 19th, 2010, 19:56
The interesting observation:

Some are putting the front angle INSIDE.
John and I put the front angle on the OUTSIDE with the flat stock crushing the bellypan, grill, cut-up bicycle tire inter tube glued to the flat stock...
See photos 0101 and 0102 on post #83...

RS6Steve
April 19th, 2010, 19:57
How do I display the Logs? They are in Excel and won't upload, if I copy and paste there are two many lines so I can't post them

RS6Steve
April 19th, 2010, 19:59
Why would you put the front angle inside? That does not make sense... As per the lovely drawing it should be outside otherwise it will not help draw the air out.

Edit: Just looked at the pics you talked about, and don't get what you mean? They are on the front edge also?

Edit again: Just read your post again, I'm stupid.... Don't think it really matters

ben916
April 19th, 2010, 20:02
How do I display the Logs? They are in Excel and won't upload, if I copy and paste there are two many lines so I can't post them

From EXCEL, save it as a .csv
then open the .csv file in any text editor
then save .csv file again as a .txt file
then open the .txt file in any text editor
Select all (Ctrl key and the "A" key)
Copy it (Ctrl key and the "C" key)
and past it into a post here... (Ctrl key and the "V" key )

presto... I think

ben916
April 19th, 2010, 20:10
Why would you put the front angle inside? That does not make sense... As per the lovely drawing it should be outside otherwise it will not help draw the air out.

Edit: Just looked at the pics you talked about, and don't get what you mean? They are on the front edge also?

sorry that was not clear what I meant by that...

if you look at the first set of photos that V8(Pat) posted, he has the front aluminum angle properly point down (vertical) to the ground thereby creating the low pressure/opening for the heat to get out. So we all are on the same page...

What I am communicating is that he (Pat) put the angle piece (horizontal) that connects to the bellypan INSIDE the bellypan and the rivets outside.

What John and I did was:
Have the horizontal angle piece on the outside of the bellypan and the vertical piece still pointing down as it should.
Then the flat stock for the front is used to sandwich the bellypan, intertube gasket, grill all together...
Doing it this way (and not saying my way is better or worse), there is one solid angle aluminum versus two pieces.

RS6Steve
April 19th, 2010, 20:22
I see what you mean now. I have two peices as a sandwich on the leading edge (One angle and one flat) and one on the rear (flat). Don't think it make and real difference!

V8weight
April 19th, 2010, 21:11
sorry that was not clear what I meant by that...

if you look at the first set of photos that V8(Pat) posted, he has the front aluminum angle properly point down (vertical) to the ground thereby creating the low pressure/opening for the heat to get out. So we all are on the same page...

What I am communicating is that he (Pat) put the angle piece (horizontal) that connects to the bellypan INSIDE the bellypan and the rivets outside.

What John and I did was:
Have the horizontal angle piece on the outside of the bellypan and the vertical piece still pointing down as it should.
Then the flat stock for the front is used to sandwich the bellypan, intertube gasket, grill all together...
Doing it this way (and not saying my way is better or worse), there is one solid angle aluminum versus two pieces.
If you look at my original pics, as well as the vent that I did for James, the front angle is still one piece, I just notched it in the center between the two openings. Your way is probably less work.

ben916
April 19th, 2010, 21:14
If you look at my original pics, as well as the vent that I did for James, the front angle is still one piece, I just notched it in the center between the two openings. Your way is probably less work.

no, you have to notch the inner flat stock as well...

V8weight
April 19th, 2010, 21:17
no, you have to notch the inner flat stock as well...

Ahh, right you are. I'm still not running a screen, but on James, I notched both the front flatstock and the angle. There's no real benifit to doing it my way, I was just copying the pics that I had dug up on the Sportec RS600 cars.

ben916
April 19th, 2010, 22:32
while searching.....

Buzz beat us all to the "punch"
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php?t=8819

V8weight
April 20th, 2010, 03:14
while searching.....

Buzz beat us all to the "punch"
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php?t=8819
Ya, that's one of the threads that I dug up prior to doing this to try and get a picture of how the vent was laid out.

ben916
April 20th, 2010, 04:36
Ya, that's one of the threads that I dug up prior to doing this to try and get a picture of how the vent was laid out.

I think he is the guy that has/had the full Carbon bellypan for $7k....
I am still searching.
I also happened across a thread of a full carbon hood for a group buy of $600 (WTF!?!??!)
Before everyone goes nuts, this was in 2004/2005 so I don't know how much weight this has....

hahnmgh63
April 20th, 2010, 08:55
Factory hood is aluminum so I don't imagine the carbon hood could be worth the slight weight savings, even for that price.

DHall1
April 20th, 2010, 19:20
Pat,

I wonder when I should tell the chaps about my intercooler spray bar idea?

RS6Steve
April 20th, 2010, 20:14
Here are the logs

STAMP Engine Speed - (actual) Intake Air - Temp Oil Temp Engine Outlet - Temp
/min øC øC øC

41.14 1810 66 81 90
41.28 1810 66 81 90
41.42 1800 67 81 90
41.56 1770 67 81 90
41.69 1750 67 81 90
41.82 1760 67 81 90
41.97 1780 67 81 90
42.09 1760 67 81 90
42.25 1740 67 81 90
42.38 1750 67 81 90
42.53 1740 68 81 90
42.66 1740 68 81 90
42.81 1730 68 81 90
42.95 1730 68 81 90
43.09 1720 68 81 90
43.23 1700 68 81 90
43.37 1700 68 81 90
43.53 1710 68 81 90
43.65 1700 68 81 90
43.79 1700 68 81 90
43.91 1710 68 81 90
44.04 1690 68 81 90
44.16 1690 68 81 90
44.31 1690 68 81 90
44.43 1670 68 81 90
44.57 1660 68 81 90
44.72 1650 68 81 90
44.87 1630 68 81 90
45 1610 68 81 90
45.15 1580 69 81 90
45.29 1580 69 81 90
45.43 1560 69 81 90
45.57 1560 69 81 90
45.72 1560 69 81 90
45.87 1560 69 81 90
46 1550 69 81 90
46.15 1540 69 81 90
46.28 1550 69 81 90
46.43 1540 69 81 90
46.56 1520 69 81 90
46.71 1490 69 81 90
46.85 1470 69 81 90
46.99 1450 69 81 90
47.13 1410 69 81 90
47.27 1380 69 81 90
47.43 1350 69 81 90
47.56 1330 69 81 90
47.71 1290 69 81 90
47.84 1250 69 81 90
47.99 1200 69 81 90
48.12 1170 69 81 90
48.27 1130 69 81 90
48.41 1090 69 81 90
48.55 1060 69 81 90
48.69 1020 69 81 90
48.83 990 69 81 90
48.99 950 69 82 90
49.12 940 69 82 90
49.27 920 69 82 90
49.4 910 69 82 90
49.55 930 69 82 90
49.68 1020 69 82 90
49.83 1140 69 82 90
49.97 1180 69 82 90
50.11 1330 69 82 90
50.25 1450 69 82 90
50.39 1540 69 82 90
50.55 1620 69 82 90
50.68 1710 69 82 90
50.83 1720 69 82 90
50.96 1780 69 82 90
51.11 1880 69 82 90
51.25 1980 69 82 90
51.39 2080 68 82 90
51.53 2160 68 82 90
51.67 2210 68 82 90
51.81 2240 68 82 90
51.95 2310 68 82 90
52.11 2400 67 82 90
52.24 2470 67 82 90
52.39 2530 67 82 90
52.52 2550 66 82 90
52.67 2550 66 82 90
52.8 2550 66 82 90
52.95 2550 66 82 90
53.09 2550 66 82 90
53.23 2550 65 82 90
53.37 2550 65 82 90
53.51 2550 64 82 90
53.67 2550 64 82 90
53.79 2550 64 82 90
53.93 2550 63 82 90
54.05 2550 63 82 90
54.2 2550 63 82 90
54.33 2550 63 82 90
54.48 2550 62 82 90
54.61 2490 62 82 90
54.76 2220 62 82 90
54.9 2100 62 82 90
55.04 2040 61 82 90
55.18 2000 61 82 90
55.32 2000 61 82 90
55.48 2000 61 82 90
55.61 1960 61 82 90
55.74 1950 62 82 90
55.86 1930 62 82 90
56.01 1900 61 82 90
56.14 1890 62 82 90
56.29 1860 62 82 90
56.42 1830 62 82 90
56.57 1800 62 82 90
56.7 1770 63 82 90
56.85 1730 63 82 90
56.99 1670 63 82 90
57.13 1640 63 82 90
57.27 1610 63 82 90
57.41 1560 63 82 90
57.54 1510 63 82 90
57.67 1460 64 82 90
57.82 1410 64 82 90
57.95 1400 64 82 90
58.1 1360 64 82 90
58.23 1320 64 82 90
58.38 1240 64 82 90
58.51 1190 64 82 90
58.67 1100 64 82 90
58.8 1040 64 82 90
58.94 980 65 82 90
59.08 920 65 82 90
59.22 900 65 82 90
59.38 840 65 82 90
59.51 770 65 82 90
59.66 720 66 82 90
59.79 670 66 82 90
59.94 660 66 82 90
60.07 750 66 82 90
60.22 740 66 82 90
60.36 740 66 82 90
60.5 730 66 82 90
60.64 730 66 82 90
60.78 730 66 82 90
60.94 720 66 82 90
61.07 720 66 82 90
61.22 720 66 82 90
61.35 710 66 82 90
61.5 710 66 82 90
61.63 760 66 82 90
61.78 960 66 82 90
61.92 1130 66 82 90
62.06 1140 66 82 90
62.2 1130 66 82 90
62.35 1350 66 82 90
62.5 1440 66 82 90
62.63 1440 66 82 90
62.78 1440 66 82 90
62.91 1490 66 82 90
63.06 1590 66 82 90
63.19 1680 66 82 90
63.34 1730 66 82 90
63.48 1750 66 82 90
63.62 1770 65 82 90
63.76 1790 65 82 90
63.91 1840 65 82 90
64.06 1880 65 82 90
64.19 2010 64 82 90
64.34 2080 64 82 90
64.47 2150 64 82 90
64.62 2180 64 82 90
64.75 2210 64 82 90
64.88 2190 64 82 90
65 2190 64 82 90
65.13 2230 64 82 90
65.25 2260 63 82 90
65.38 2300 63 82 90
65.5 2350 63 82 90
65.65 2410 63 82 90
65.78 2470 63 82 90
65.91 2520 63 82 90
66.03 2550 63 82 90
66.16 2550 62 82 90
66.28 2550 62 82 90
66.43 2550 62 82 90
66.56 2550 61 82 90
66.71 2550 61 82 90
66.84 2550 61 82 90
66.97 2550 60 82 90
67.09 2550 60 83 90
67.24 2550 60 83 90
67.39 2550 60 83 90
67.52 2550 60 83 90
67.65 2550 60 83 90
67.78 2550 60 83 90
67.91 2550 60 83 90
68.05 2550 60 83 90
68.18 2550 59 83 90
68.31 2550 59 83 90
68.44 2550 59 83 90
68.59 2550 59 83 90
68.74 2550 59 83 90
68.87 2420 59 83 90
69.02 2340 58 83 90
69.15 2290 58 83 90
69.28 2280 58 83 90
69.4 2290 58 83 90
69.53 2280 58 83 90
69.65 2250 58 83 90
69.8 2270 58 83 90
69.93 2250 58 83 90
70.06 2250 58 83 90
70.18 2240 59 83 90
70.31 2240 59 83 90
70.43 2230 59 83 90
70.58 2220 59 83 90
70.71 2210 59 83 90
70.84 2210 60 83 90
70.96 2210 60 83 90
71.11 2210 60 83 90
71.24 2200 60 83 90
71.39 2180 60 83 90
71.52 2180 60 83 90
71.65 2180 60 83 90
71.77 2180 60 83 90
71.92 2170 60 83 90
72.07 2170 61 83 90
72.21 2160 61 83 90
72.34 2170 61 83 90
72.46 2170 61 83 90
72.59 2160 62 83 90
72.71 2150 62 83 90
72.85 2150 62 83 90
72.99 2110 62 83 90
73.14 2110 62 83 90
73.27 2130 62 83 90
73.4 2120 63 83 90
73.52 2120 63 83 90
73.67 2100 63 83 90
73.8 2100 63 83 90
73.95 2110 63 83 90
74.08 2110 63 83 90
74.21 2100 63 83 90
74.33 2090 63 83 90
74.48 2080 63 83 90
74.61 2060 63 83 90
74.76 2050 63 83 90
74.89 1980 63 83 90
75.02 1950 64 83 90
75.14 1940 64 83 90
75.29 1930 64 83 90
75.43 1910 64 83 90
75.58 1900 64 83 90
75.71 1890 64 83 90
75.83 1880 64 83 90
75.97 1870 64 83 90
76.11 1870 64 83 90
76.25 1870 64 83 90
76.39 1870 64 83 90
76.52 1870 64 83 90
76.64 1880 64 83 90
76.79 1950 64 83 90
76.92 1940 64 83 90
77.05 1950 64 83 90
77.17 1950 64 83 90
77.32 1950 64 83 90
77.45 1950 64 83 90
77.58 1950 64 83 90
77.7 1980 64 83 90
77.83 2000 64 83 90
77.95 2100 64 83 90
78.08 2160 64 83 90
78.2 2210 64 83 90
78.34 2280 64 83 90
78.48 2260 64 83 90
78.61 2270 64 83 90
78.73 2270 64 83 90
78.88 2280 64 83 90
79.01 2290 63 83 90
79.16 2310 63 83 90
79.29 2340 63 83 90
79.44 2350 63 83 90
79.58 2360 63 83 90
79.72 2350 62 83 90
79.85 2340 61 83 90
79.98 2370 61 83 90
80.11 2370 60 83 90
80.26 2350 60 83 90
80.41 2330 60 83 90
80.54 2320 60 83 90
80.68 2310 60 83 90
80.82 2290 61 83 90
80.98 2270 61 83 90
81.1 2280 61 83 90
81.25 2270 61 83 90
81.39 2270 61 83 90
81.54 2260 61 83 90
81.67 2250 62 83 90
81.82 2240 62 83 90
81.97 2220 62 83 90
82.1 2250 62 84 90
82.26 2320 63 84 90
82.38 2340 63 84 90
82.53 2330 63 84 90
82.66 2330 63 84 90
82.81 2340 63 84 90
82.95 2330 63 84 90
83.1 2300 62 84 90
83.23 2290 62 84 90
83.38 2290 62 84 90
83.53 2300 61 84 90
83.66 2320 61 84 90
83.82 2310 60 84 90
83.94 2330 60 84 90
84.09 2340 60 84 90
84.22 2370 60 84 90
84.37 2400 60 84 90
84.51 2420 60 84 90
84.66 2440 60 84 90
84.79 2450 59 84 90
84.93 2440 59 84 90
85.06 2390 59 84 90
85.19 2180 58 84 90
85.33 1960 58 84 90
85.44 1790 58 84 90
85.57 1660 58 84 90
85.71 1660 58 84 90
85.84 1690 58 84 90
85.97 1690 58 84 90
86.11 1680 58 84 90
86.24 1670 59 84 90
86.37 1610 59 84 90
86.5 1580 59 84 90
86.65 1600 59 84 90
86.77 1600 59 84 90
86.9 1580 59 84 90
87.03 1580 59 84 90
87.17 1560 59 84 90
87.3 1580 59 84 90
87.43 1580 59 84 90
87.56 1550 59 84 90
87.72 1550 59 84 90
87.84 1530 59 84 90
87.97 1540 59 84 90
88.09 1530 59 84 90
88.22 1550 59 84 90
88.34 1530 59 84 90
88.48 1530 59 84 90
88.62 1530 59 84 90
88.75 1530 59 84 90
88.87 1540 58 84 90
89.02 1550 58 84 90
89.15 1560 58 84 90
89.28 1560 58 84 90
89.4 1560 57 84 90
89.53 1560 57 84 90
89.67 1570 57 84 90
89.8 1570 57 84 90
89.93 1580 57 84 90
90.06 1580 57 84 90
90.18 1570 57 84 90
90.33 1580 57 84 90
90.45 1580 57 84 90
90.58 1590 57 84 90
90.71 1600 57 84 90
90.84 1590 57 84 90
90.96 1590 57 84 90
91.09 1590 57 84 90
91.21 1590 57 84 90
91.36 1590 57 84 90
91.48 1630 57 84 90
91.62 1700 57 84 90
91.74 1750 57 84 90
91.9 1840 57 84 90
92.03 2030 56 84 90
92.18 1930 56 84 90
92.31 1770 56 84 90
92.46 1660 55 84 90
92.6 1610 55 84 90
92.73 1600 55 84 90
92.86 1580 55 84 90
92.99 1540 55 84 90
93.13 1520 55 84 90
93.27 1510 55 84 90
93.41 1500 56 84 90
93.55 1490 56 84 90
93.71 1480 57 84 90
93.84 1460 57 84 90
93.99 1450 57 84 90
94.12 1420 57 84 90
94.27 1400 57 84 90
94.42 1380 57 84 90
94.55 1340 57 84 90
94.7 1330 57 84 90
94.83 1310 57 84 90
94.99 1290 57 84 90
95.11 1270 58 84 90
95.27 1280 58 84 90
95.4 1230 59 84 90
95.55 1200 59 84 90
95.68 1200 59 84 90
95.83 1290 59 84 90
95.96 1430 59 84 90
96.1 1670 59 84 91
96.23 1870 60 84 91
96.36 1930 60 84 91
96.5 1950 60 84 91
96.64 2010 60 84 91
96.78 2100 60 84 91
96.92 2200 60 84 91
97.06 2250 60 84 91
97.21 2290 59 84 91
97.36 2340 59 84 91
97.49 2350 59 84 91
97.64 2340 59 84 91
97.77 2300 59 84 91
97.91 2280 58 84 91
98.04 2290 58 84 91
98.17 2310 57 84 91
98.3 2330 57 84 91
98.44 2340 57 84 91
98.57 2350 57 84 91
98.7 2360 57 84 91
98.85 2360 57 84 91
98.98 2330 57 84 91
99.12 2330 57 84 91
99.26 2330 57 84 91
99.4 2340 56 84 91
99.53 2350 56 84 91
99.67 2340 55 84 91
99.79 2330 55 84 91
99.94 2330 55 84 91
100.06 2310 55 84 91
100.2 2290 55 84 91
100.33 2290 55 84 91
100.48 2260 55 84 91
100.61 2260 55 84 91
100.76 2260 55 84 91
100.89 2260 55 85 91
101.04 2250 55 85 91
101.19 2230 55 85 91
101.32 2230 55 85 91
101.47 2210 55 85 91
101.6 2200 55 85 91
101.74 2150 55 85 91
101.87 2140 56 85 91
102.01 2130 56 85 91
102.14 2140 56 85 91
102.29 2130 57 85 91
102.42 2100 57 85 91
102.54 2090 57 85 91
102.67 2080 57 85 91
102.82 2090 57 85 91
102.97 2070 57 85 91
103.1 2040 57 85 91
103.23 2020 57 85 91
103.37 2020 57 85 91
103.5 2010 57 85 91
103.63 2000 57 85 91
103.78 1980 57 85 91
103.91 1960 58 85 91
104.05 1940 58 85 91
104.18 1910 58 85 91
104.31 1890 58 85 91
104.44 1870 58 85 91
104.59 1840 59 85 91
104.72 1850 59 85 91
104.88 1890 59 85 91
105.01 1950 59 85 91
105.16 2000 59 85 91
105.3 2060 59 85 91
105.44 2040 59 85 91
105.59 2000 59 85 91
105.72 1980 59 85 91
105.87 1970 59 85 91
106.01 1970 59 85 91
106.15 1960 58 85 91
106.29 1960 58 85 91
106.44 1970 57 85 91
106.57 1980 57 85 91
106.72 1980 57 85 91
106.87 2000 57 85 91
107 2010 57 85 91
107.13 2020 57 85 91
107.27 2040 57 85 91
107.4 2060 57 85 91
107.53 2080 57 85 91
107.66 2110 57 85 91
107.8 2120 57 85 91
107.93 2140 57 85 91
108.06 2170 57 85 91
108.2 2190 56 85 91
108.33 2220 56 85 91
108.47 2240 56 85 91
108.59 2240 55 85 91
108.72 2240 55 85 91
108.86 2250 55 85 91
108.99 2230 55 85 91
109.12 2190 54 85 91
109.26 2190 54 85 91
109.39 2160 54 85 92
109.52 2150 55 85 92
109.65 2130 55 85 92
109.79 2110 55 85 92
109.92 2060 55 85 92
110.05 1990 55 85 92
110.19 1950 56 85 92
110.32 1930 56 85 92
110.45 1920 56 85 92
110.59 2030 57 85 92
110.72 2020 57 85 92
110.86 2050 57 85 92
110.98 2070 57 85 92
111.12 2130 57 85 92
111.26 2190 57 85 92
111.4 2190 57 85 92
111.53 2150 57 85 92
111.67 2130 57 85 92
111.79 2120 57 85 92
111.93 2120 57 85 92
112.08 2110 57 85 92
112.21 2070 57 85 92
112.34 2060 57 85 92
112.48 2060 56 85 92
112.61 2020 56 85 92
112.74 2020 56 85 92
112.89 2000 56 85 92
113.02 1970 56 85 92
113.16 1940 56 85 92
113.29 1900 57 85 92
113.42 1860 57 85 92
113.56 1800 57 85 92
113.71 1800 57 85 92
113.85 1800 57 85 92
113.99 1800 57 85 92
114.12 1790 57 85 92
114.26 1770 57 85 92
114.38 1750 57 85 92
114.52 1850 57 85 92
114.66 1790 57 85 92
114.8 1790 57 85 92
114.93 1780 57 85 92
115.07 1770 57 85 92
115.2 1770 58 85 92
115.33 1760 58 85 92
115.48 1750 58 85 92
115.61 1750 58 85 92
115.74 1740 58 85 92
115.88 1740 59 85 92
116.02 1760 59 85 92
116.14 1780 59 85 92
116.28 1800 59 85 92
116.41 1860 59 85 92
116.54 1870 59 85 92
116.66 1840 59 85 92
116.79 1830 59 85 92
116.94 1830 59 85 92
117.1 1810 59 85 92
117.22 1800 59 85 92
117.36 1800 59 85 92
117.5 1790 58 85 92
117.64 1780 58 85 92
117.77 1770 58 85 92
117.91 1770 58 85 92
118.03 1760 58 85 92
118.17 1750 57 85 92
118.3 1750 57 85 92
118.42 1750 57 85 92
118.55 1730 57 85 92
118.69 1720 57 85 92
118.81 1720 57 85 92
118.95 1710 58 85 92
119.1 1700 58 85 92
119.23 1680 58 85 92
119.36 1670 58 85 92
119.5 1670 58 85 92
119.64 1680 58 85 92
119.76 1700 59 85 92
119.9 1700 59 85 92
120.03 1660 59 85 92
120.16 1620 59 85 92
120.3 1640 59 85 92
120.45 1630 59 85 92
120.58 1620 59 85 92
120.71 1610 59 85 92
120.84 1600 59 85 92
121 1600 59 85 92
121.12 1580 59 85 92
121.26 1570 59 85 92
121.39 1550 59 85 92
121.51 1530 59 85 92
121.64 1510 60 85 92
121.78 1490 60 85 92
121.9 1470 60 85 92
122.04 1450 60 85 92
122.18 1430 60 85 92
122.32 1410 60 85 92
122.45 1410 60 85 92
122.59 1390 60 85 92
122.71 1400 60 85 92
122.85 1400 60 85 92
123 1430 60 85 92
123.13 1520 60 85 92
123.26 1510 60 85 92
123.4 1520 60 85 92
123.53 1570 60 85 92
123.67 1550 60 85 92
123.83 1520 60 85 92
123.96 1510 60 85 92
124.12 1520 60 85 92
124.24 1510 60 85 92
124.38 1540 60 85 92
124.52 1520 59 85 92
124.66 1530 59 85 92
124.79 1530 59 85 92
124.93 1530 59 85 92
125.05 1500 58 85 92
125.19 1450 58 85 92
125.32 1460 58 85 92
125.46 1440 58 85 92
125.59 1420 58 85 92
125.74 1430 58 85 92
125.87 1430 58 85 92
126.01 1430 58 85 92
126.17 1420 59 85 92
126.3 1410 59 85 92
126.46 1410 59 85 92
126.58 1400 59 85 92
126.74 1390 59 85 92
126.87 1460 59 85 92
127.02 1490 59 85 92
127.15 1480 59 86 92
127.3 1560 59 86 92
127.43 1590 59 86 92
127.57 1510 59 86 92
127.69 1510 59 86 92
127.83 1510 59 86 92
127.98 1500 59 86 92
128.11 1520 59 86 92
128.27 1530 59 86 92
128.39 1540 59 86 92
128.53 1570 59 86 92
128.66 1580 59 86 92
128.8 1610 58 86 92
128.92 1640 58 86 92
129.08 1670 57 86 92
129.21 1710 57 86 92
129.36 1750 57 86 92
129.49 1780 57 86 92
129.64 1820 57 86 92
129.77 1850 57 86 92
129.91 1870 57 86 92
130.03 1890 57 86 92
130.17 1920 57 86 92
130.32 1960 56 86 92
130.45 2000 56 86 92
130.61 2030 55 86 92
130.73 2070 55 86 92
130.87 2110 55 86 92
131 2120 55 86 92
131.14 2100 55 86 92
131.26 2110 54 86 92
131.4 2120 54 86 92
131.53 2100 54 86 92
131.65 2060 54 86 92
131.78 2060 54 86 92
131.92 2040 54 86 92
132.04 2020 54 86 92
132.2 2000 54 86 92
132.33 1970 54 86 92
132.46 1920 54 86 92
132.61 1900 54 86 92
132.76 1910 55 86 92
132.91 1910 55 86 92
133.04 1900 55 86 92
133.19 1890 55 86 92
133.32 1880 56 86 92
133.48 1870 56 86 92
133.6 1860 56 86 92
133.76 1840 56 86 92
133.89 1830 57 86 92
134.04 1810 57 86 92
134.17 1800 57 86 92
134.32 1840 57 86 92
134.47 1830 57 86 92
134.6 1820 57 86 93
134.75 1820 57 86 93
134.88 1810 57 86 93
135.04 1800 57 86 93
135.16 1790 57 86 93
135.32 1810 57 86 93
135.45 1860 57 86 93
135.6 1930 57 86 93
135.73 2010 57 86 93
135.88 2000 57 86 93
136.03 1890 57 86 93
136.16 1870 57 86 93
136.31 1850 57 86 93
136.44 1820 57 86 93
136.6 1800 57 86 93
136.72 1800 57 86 93
136.88 1780 57 86 93
137.01 1780 57 86 93
137.16 1760 57 86 93
137.29 1730 57 86 93
137.44 1780 57 86 93
137.59 1770 57 86 93
137.72 1740 57 86 93
137.86 1740 57 86 93
138 1740 57 86 93
138.16 1730 57 86 93
138.28 1720 57 86 93
138.44 1710 57 86 93
138.56 1700 57 86 93
138.72 1700 58 86 93
138.85 1690 58 86 93
139 1680 58 86 93
139.14 1670 58 86 93
139.28 1660 58 86 93
139.42 1650 58 86 93
139.56 1640 59 86 93
139.69 1640 59 86 93
139.81 1660 59 86 93
139.97 1690 59 86 93
140.09 1740 59 86 93
140.22 1820 59 86 93
140.38 1830 59 86 93
140.53 1820 59 86 93
140.65 1790 59 86 93
140.81 1790 59 86 93
140.95 1800 59 86 93
141.09 1830 58 86 93
141.23 1840 58 86 93
141.37 1850 57 86 93
141.53 1880 57 86 93
141.66 1910 57 86 93
141.78 1930 57 86 93
141.93 1980 57 86 93
142.09 2020 57 86 93
142.22 2060 57 86 93
142.37 2110 57 86 93
142.51 2140 57 86 93
142.65 2100 56 86 93
142.79 2130 55 86 93
142.93 2120 55 86 93
143.09 2090 55 86 93
143.21 2080 54 86 93
143.35 2070 54 86 93
143.49 2060 54 86 93
143.65 2030 54 86 93
143.78 2000 55 86 93
143.93 1940 55 86 93
144.07 1920 55 86 93
144.21 1920 55 86 93
144.35 1900 55 86 93
144.49 1880 56 86 93
144.65 1860 56 86 93
144.77 1840 56 86 93
144.9 1810 56 86 93
145.05 1800 56 86 93
145.21 1790 57 86 93
145.34 1770 57 86 93
145.49 1750 57 86 93
145.63 1730 57 86 93
145.77 1720 57 86 93
145.91 1700 57 86 93
146.05 1690 57 86 93
146.21 1670 57 86 93
146.33 1640 57 86 93
146.46 1620 57 86 93
146.61 1610 57 86 93
146.77 1580 57 86 93
146.9 1560 57 86 93
147.05 1520 57 86 93
147.19 1500 57 86 93
147.33 1460 57 86 93
147.48 1420 57 86 93
147.61 1430 57 86 93
147.77 1400 57 86 93
147.89 1360 57 86 93
148.05 1320 57 86 93
148.17 1280 58 86 93
148.3 1230 58 86 93
148.43 1150 58 86 93
148.58 1110 58 86 93
148.71 1080 58 86 93
148.86 1020 58 86 93
148.99 980 58 86 93
149.12 950 59 86 93
149.24 920 59 86 93
149.39 920 59 86 93
149.53 920 59 86 93
149.67 950 59 86 93
149.8 1040 59 86 93
149.93 1180 59 86 93
150.06 1320 59 86 93
150.2 1530 59 86 93
150.34 1730 59 86 93
150.48 1760 59 86 93
150.64 1850 59 86 93
150.76 1910 59 86 93
150.92 1970 58 86 93
151.05 2000 57 86 93
151.2 2090 57 86 93
151.34 2160 57 86 93
151.48 2220 57 86 93
151.62 2260 57 86 93
151.76 2320 57 86 93
151.9 2420 57 86 93
152.04 2500 57 86 93
152.2 2550 56 86 93
152.32 2550 56 86 93
152.48 2550 56 86 93
152.61 2550 55 86 93
152.76 2550 55 86 93
152.9 2550 55 86 93
153.04 2550 55 86 93
153.18 2550 54 86 93
153.32 2550 54 86 93
153.46 2550 54 86 93
153.6 2550 54 86 93
153.73 2550 54 86 93
153.86 2550 53 86 93
154.01 2490 53 86 93
154.13 2120 53 86 93
154.29 1920 52 86 93
154.42 1910 53 86 93
154.57 1900 53 86 93
154.7 1890 53 86 93
154.85 1840 53 86 93
154.99 1820 53 86 93
155.13 1780 54 86 93
155.27 1740 54 86 93
155.41 1720 54 86 93
155.57 1690 54 86 93
155.69 1660 54 86 93
155.82 1620 54 86 93
155.95 1580 54 86 93
156.1 1550 55 86 93
156.23 1500 55 86 93
156.38 1450 55 86 93
156.51 1380 55 86 93
156.66 1410 55 86 93
156.8 1380 55 86 93
156.94 1340 55 86 93
157.08 1270 55 86 93
157.22 1230 56 86 93
157.36 1170 56 86 93
157.51 1110 56 86 93
157.66 1060 57 86 93
157.79 1020 57 86 93
157.94 990 57 86 93
158.07 970 57 86 93
158.22 930 57 86 93
158.36 900 57 86 93
158.5 900 57 86 93
158.64 910 57 86 93
158.78 900 57 86 93
158.92 940 57 86 93
159.07 1030 57 86 93
159.22 1090 57 86 93
159.35 1200 57 86 93
159.5 1370 57 86 93
159.63 1640 57 86 93
159.76 1840 57 86 93
159.88 1910 57 86 93
160.03 1920 57 86 93
160.16 1940 57 86 93
160.31 2020 57 86 93
160.45 2100 57 86 93
160.59 2140 57 86 93
160.73 2200 57 87 93
160.87 2260 56 87 93
161.03 2310 56 87 93
161.16 2370 56 87 93
161.29 2400 55 87 93
161.41 2280 55 87 93
161.54 2130 55 87 93
161.69 2030 55 87 93
161.84 2010 54 87 93
161.97 1990 54 87 93
162.12 1980 54 87 93
162.27 1950 54 87 93
162.4 1930 54 87 93
162.54 1900 55 87 93
162.68 1890 55 87 93
162.82 1850 55 87 93
162.97 1780 55 87 93
163.1 1700 55 87 93
163.22 1660 55 87 93
163.38 1630 56 87 93
163.5 1580 56 87 93
163.65 1560 56 87 93
163.78 1520 57 87 93
163.93 1480 57 87 93
164.06 1410 57 87 93
164.21 1450 57 87 93
164.35 1470 57 87 93
164.49 1460 57 87 93
164.63 1420 57 87 93
164.77 1370 57 87 93
164.93 1340 57 87 93
165.06 1310 57 87 93
165.21 1270 57 87 93
165.37 1260 57 87 93
165.5 1210 57 87 93

RS6Steve
April 20th, 2010, 20:15
Sorry really long previous post.

The Intake temp is too high in my opinion so lets if the mod helps this aswell as the oil temp, should do.

Logs taken average driving and ambient temp of 18 degrees C.

4everRS
April 20th, 2010, 20:33
Dammit Dave. My wife is going to freak when she hears I have another "little project" on the beast.

Ok, that said - tell me tell me tell me tell me.

Pat,

4everRS
April 20th, 2010, 20:40
Is it like this:
http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/191/0/0/EDE%2070072

Mr Balsen
April 20th, 2010, 20:52
Pat,

You should be banned for years for writing such post.
I have been thinking about it for long time....

Frederic

JRS-RS6
April 20th, 2010, 20:54
Sorry really long previous post.

The Intake temp is too high in my opinion so lets if the mod helps this aswell as the oil temp, should do.

Logs taken average driving and ambient temp of 18 degrees C.

Graph:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/JRS-RS6/SportecCoolingMod.jpg

RS6Steve
April 20th, 2010, 21:07
I shuold be able to do some logs Thursday or Friday, car in garage for a Miltek at the minute.

Anyway, thanks for the Graph.

I like the idea of a intercooler spray? New thread I think?

DHall1
April 20th, 2010, 21:19
Thank you.

It has been my idea for quite some time. How exactly to do it has been the problem. We dont have any space.

Our intercoolers get red hot after driving and some heat soak. Heat soak from underhood temps literally bake everything under the hood incl the intercoolers.

Hot intercoolers loose efficiency and just get hotter and hotter over time.

Aqua mist in the intake path is a option. Last resort for me.

Sportec vent is excellent. I want to add a spray bar for the outside of the intercooler. This will act to cool the actual intercooler housing and will greatly increase the efficiency of the unit. Stock or Wagner.

So the question remains how to go about cooling the actual intercooler housing. Lets see if any of you come up with my idea. Very simple idea. Pat knows it.

Let the game begin.

You should be banned for years for writing such post.
I have been thinking about it for long time....

Frederic

snoopra
April 20th, 2010, 21:24
Pat,
Like this?:)
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/snoopra/ICspraybarkit.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/snoopra/ICspraybarinaction.jpg

snoopra
April 20th, 2010, 21:28
I did a post on this a few years back but no one "bit".

DHall1
April 20th, 2010, 21:28
that is one way.

keep thinking.

KISS

there is a much easier way.

terrytcl
April 20th, 2010, 21:29
no one is running methanol injection yet on the rs6?

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 20th, 2010, 22:25
OK Dave,
You have forced me to chime in. I am surprised you with a motor home don't know about this.
KISS, I have this on my 5000cstq, works out of this world. Patio misters with a line to the coolant, IC and Oil, I have an "auxiliary" windshield washer with water and alcohol. You can plug in the mister heads anywhere and as many as you like along the line.
I have a dummy switch on the dash and manually turn it on.
I am sure some of you electronic wizards can get a thermal switch going. The system works better than you can ever imagine.
Don't get me started on how well we all did today:hahahehe:

ben916
April 20th, 2010, 22:29
that is one way.

keep thinking.

KISS

there is a much easier way.

does it involve the prying the $$,$$$ from the CFO????
Like this fine example? -> http://www.sportec.ch/page4392.html

MaxRS6
April 20th, 2010, 23:15
This is my method when I hit the track...Kiss

DHall1
April 20th, 2010, 23:49
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Leave it to John. Your 5000cstq must really be a beast.

We shall start a new thread on the topic soon.

I want to retro fit the headlight washer switch to operate my mister system. And yes you could put mister heads on all the heat exchangers out front.

Oh thank heaven for stocks like DVN. Thats all I can say.

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh459/Cdnstoneman/blogbanner-1.gif?t=1251379385

OK Dave,
You have forced me to chime in. I am surprised you with a motor home don't know about this.
KISS, I have this on my 5000cstq, works out of this world. Patio misters with a line to the coolant, IC and Oil, I have an "auxiliary" windshield washer with water and alcohol. You can plug in the mister heads anywhere and as many as you like along the line.
I have a dummy switch on the dash and manually turn it on.
I am sure some of you electronic wizards can get a thermal switch going. The system works better than you can ever imagine.
Don't get me started on how well we all did today:hahahehe:

JRS-RS6
April 21st, 2010, 01:24
Anyway, thanks for the Graph.

You're welcome Steve. I could have done better but my plane was boarding and I had to go.

I did a post on this a few years back but no one "bit".

That's because Global Warming wasn't an issue than. Now we all need to learn how to keep our cool.

snoopra
April 22nd, 2010, 05:35
OK, back on the air vent subject. While removing the heat shields to pull drive shaft I noticed small strips of foil be used as a "shield" to reduce/prevent metal/aluminum corrosion. Could be used as a shield for those who can't get aluminum grill for air vent. .02

ben916
April 22nd, 2010, 07:26
OK, back on the air vent subject. While removing the heat shields to pull drive shaft I noticed small strips of foil be used as a "shield" to reduce/prevent metal/aluminum corrosion. Could be used as a shield for those who can't get aluminum grill for air vent. .02

Aluminum Grill???

I used galvanized steel grill and tin snips...
You COULD go crazy and get the aluminum diamond style stuff BUT you are gonna pay for it...
The smallest section I saw was 4'x8'.......... or maybe it was 4'x10'

AudiRS4ever
June 4th, 2010, 15:13
Well, I ended up doing this mod. After putting it on the car, I was very uncomfortable with how exposed the belts and pulleys are. I know I know, they're not that exposed as some of you have said over and over in this thread. Anyway, I was uncomfortable with it so I ordered a new splash panel at the tune of $350.00 Not cheap for these cars. I am selling mine for $100.00 shipped anywhere in the U.S. It is in perfect shape and has been rounded down in the corners to accomodate the H-Sport Sway bars. PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy335/Chrisfast44/RS4%20Wheels%20and%20Tires/SplashPanel.png

hahnmgh63
June 4th, 2010, 15:15
I'll take it as a spare for $100 shipped. Do you take Paypal?

AudiRS4ever
June 4th, 2010, 15:21
Yep. Sold to you. I'll PM you the info. Thanks!

DHall1
June 4th, 2010, 15:30
2 minutes and I missed this deal.

Crap. lol

I'll take it as a spare for $100 shipped. Do you take Paypal?

AudiRS4ever
June 4th, 2010, 15:33
Sorry Dave. You would have been much cheaper to send it to too. Oh well...... All of you guys are great so I'm just glad it's going to someone on here. Thanks again!

DHall1
June 5th, 2010, 20:37
Ho hum just another massive power upgrade for pennies on the dollar.

Nothing to see here folks, move along

Pat,

V8weight
June 5th, 2010, 20:41
Ho hum just another massive power upgrade for pennies on the dollar.

Nothing to see here folks, move along
I'm not buying this intercooler spray idea. Nope, not without some kind of real world data. Maybe some hp numbers........

DHall1
June 5th, 2010, 20:42
So just how much HP is this little trick worth? hmmm

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/DaveRV5-21.jpg

Thank you.

It has been my idea for quite some time. How exactly to do it has been the problem. We dont have any space.

Our intercoolers get red hot after driving and some heat soak. Heat soak from underhood temps literally bake everything under the hood incl the intercoolers.

Hot intercoolers loose efficiency and just get hotter and hotter over time.

Aqua mist in the intake path is a option. Last resort for me.

Sportec vent is excellent. I want to add a spray bar for the outside of the intercooler. This will act to cool the actual intercooler housing and will greatly increase the efficiency of the unit. Stock or Wagner.

So the question remains how to go about cooling the actual intercooler housing. Lets see if any of you come up with my idea. Very simple idea. Pat knows it.

Let the game begin.

DHall1
June 6th, 2010, 18:55
Just a quick update on the Sportec mod.

Temps are hitting 100+ here in hotAZ. The combination of Sportec mod and Aces IV are proving to be a massive improvement in performance from the old beast. No more massive heat soak and the car is at full power in all the heat of the day. Still working on my intercooler spray bar package to water mist the outside of each intercooler.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21074-A-little-birdie-once-told-me.-KISS-The-dyno-wheels-never-lie.-Corky-Bell-helps-too

arS6
June 7th, 2010, 03:18
Damn! Should've bought it from you when I saw this post via email. I just took mine off to do this mod and my splash panel looks like swiss cheese from all the dragging!

Well, I ended up doing this mod. After putting it on the car, I was very uncomfortable with how exposed the belts and pulleys are. I know I know, they're not that exposed as some of you have said over and over in this thread. Anyway, I was uncomfortable with it so I ordered a new splash panel at the tune of $350.00 Not cheap for these cars. I am selling mine for $100.00 shipped anywhere in the U.S. It is in perfect shape and has been rounded down in the corners to accomodate the H-Sport Sway bars. PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy335/Chrisfast44/RS4%20Wheels%20and%20Tires/SplashPanel.png

AudiRS4ever
June 7th, 2010, 16:20
Well, I've still got it. Didn't realize that it would cost $500+ to ship the damn thing. Guess I'll keep it as a backup. Thanks again Mark for understanding.

RS6Steve
June 7th, 2010, 16:31
$500+ USD, where you sending it....? The moon

RS6Steve
June 7th, 2010, 16:34
Okay, I have done mine now, well I did it a few weeks ago now, but not posted anything!.

I will do some more logs when I get a chance. Pics below.. I used grill mesh to cover the gaping hole!

It has most defiantly made a difference, the fan does not come on half a much now. Now for the intercoolers.

hahnmgh63
June 7th, 2010, 16:41
Dhall1, how much AcesIV are you using per tank? I've been using it for over a year now and not sure if I've found the sweet spot. I am getting better mileage per tank but I know the ratio of AcesIV will vary depending on how low my tank is before I fill up next time. I usually try to run it down to 1/4~1/8 of a tank. I usually added 2.5~3 oz per tank.

JSRS6
June 7th, 2010, 17:19
Well, I've still got it. Didn't realize that it would cost $500+ to ship the damn thing. Guess I'll keep it as a backup. Thanks again Mark for understanding.
Who did you go through? I remember it being pretty cheap when i had my radiator support for my S4 sent DHL freight...

AudiRS4ever
June 7th, 2010, 18:50
UPS and FedEx both were outrageous.

ben916
June 7th, 2010, 18:53
UPS and FedEx both were outrageous.

so you ordered a new one, so then ask the stealership to ship it for you as they get better rates and then you also have the box it came in...

DHall1
June 7th, 2010, 19:30
I have run about the same mixture. Pat and I were talking about this a few weeks ago. If the Aces is a catalyst then is it only good for one tank? In other words...lets say you fill the tank and add 3oz of Aces. What if you run down to 1/2 and then fill up again. What happens if you dont have the Aces with you? Is there a residual left over to condition the 1/2 tank you added? (we didnt think so) Along those lines, what if you ran down to 1/2 then filled up and added 1.5oz of Aces? Does the Aces only condition the new 1/2 tank? Is this the best procedure (half tank refill) or should you run it down to 1/8th then fill with gas and 2.5oz Aces.

Good question for Brian at BND.

Dhall1, how much AcesIV are you using per tank? I've been using it for over a year now and not sure if I've found the sweet spot. I am getting better mileage per tank but I know the ratio of AcesIV will vary depending on how low my tank is before I fill up next time. I usually try to run it down to 1/4~1/8 of a tank. I usually added 2.5~3 oz per tank.

AudiRS4ever
June 7th, 2010, 20:59
so you ordered a new one, so then ask the stealership to ship it for you as they get better rates and then you also have the box it came in...

Already tried that. Long story, so I'll make it short. When Audi, or any auto company ships a part like that, it comes special courier. The dealership does not pay for the shipping. When I asked the dealership to send mine they were fine doing it until we called with me right there and asked how much. Because it is so large in diameter, both UPS and FedEx said it has to go by their special courier for big freight. Also, it did not come in a box. It looked like it had been on a car for about 2 years. They showed me some other ones and I'll be damned, they all look like that. Thanks for the advise though.

p3u
June 7th, 2010, 22:28
You know you could have got rid of it locally ;)

AudiRS4ever
June 7th, 2010, 22:33
Once I posted it would be for sale I took the first buyer. Then I found out what shipping would cost. Anyway, may hang on to it as a back-up. May not. This has been way more trouble than it was worth. I was just trying to make $50.00 Oh well.........

DHall1
June 7th, 2010, 22:41
Dooooont woooooorrrrrry about the gaping hole in the cover. Its keeping the motor and metal components cooler under the hooooooood.

Oh wise swammy

Once I posted it would be for sale I took the first buyer. Then I found out what shipping would cost. Anyway, may hang on to it as a back-up. May not. This has been way more trouble than it was worth. I was just trying to make $50.00 Oh well.........

hahnmgh63
June 8th, 2010, 01:18
If you decide not to keep it Chris I'm still interested and may be back in CSprings next month for a night. I'll still pay the full price as that is a great deal for a spare as you mentioned. But I still expect that beer :)

p3u
June 8th, 2010, 03:52
If you decide not to keep it Chris I'm still interested and may be back in CSprings next month for a night. I'll still pay the full price as that is a great deal for a spare as you mentioned. But I still expect that beer :)

if your in the springs lets get a rs6 group together for a cruise! The evo's and sti's need a lesson. I try on my own, but I need wing men! :)

AudiRS4ever
June 8th, 2010, 13:58

Just a thought, but I don't think they are going to allow you to bring that thing on board as a carry-on. It's a little big to store in the overhead's. The beers are definitely going to be flowing. Just let me know.

arS6
June 10th, 2010, 13:39
My repaired swiss cheese looking splash guard. I used the white aluminum sheets that's used to wrap windows on the outside since I had a whole roll left over.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d831b3127ccefa012eb8efd900000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d831b3127ccefa00aa954eca00000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

arS6
June 19th, 2010, 05:14
I installed mine. I have to admit, the belt IS exposed. I installed a mesh screen as well, but still concern for water/snow entering.

JSRS6
June 19th, 2010, 15:36
Doing mine today. Also doing the black optics. Started a couple days ago, and its turning out really well. Doing the side mirror housings today, along with the vent. After today, all i will have left to do is the trim around the windows. Oh, and I dont know if i mentioned it, but I got the MTM TCU done at Hoppen on monday. Lovin it.

ben916
February 12th, 2011, 01:00
And a big ol' bump for those that might need this...

PALETTE
February 12th, 2011, 02:03
Thanks big bad Ben!

Skaala
March 15th, 2011, 15:20
anyone know if this has been done to a B5 RS4? Was thinking of doing the mod on mine. Order a new plate and modding it in the same way with the mesh and alu profiles.

JSRS6
March 15th, 2011, 15:43
anyone know if this has been done to a B5 RS4? Was thinking of doing the mod on mine. Order a new plate and modding it in the same way with the mesh and alu profiles.

Do it!!!!!

yokust
March 15th, 2011, 15:54
I am pretty sure B5 S4 and RS4 already have larger holes cut into the belly pan stock. They do not have the alum lips to help pull the air from the bay. But they do have 6 good size longer holes in this same position

V8weight
March 15th, 2011, 15:57
I am pretty sure B5 S4 and RS4 already have larger holes cut into the belly pan stock. They do not have the alum lips to help pull the air from the bay. But they do have 6 good size longer holes in this same position
You're right, and the "lip" is molded into the lower bumper cover.

yokust
March 15th, 2011, 16:55
You're right, and the "lip" is molded into the lower bumper cover.

Always forget that is there. Almost everyone of those cars I see that has been sanded smooth by the road

JSRS6
March 15th, 2011, 17:37
Always forget that is there. Almost everyone of those cars I see that has been sanded smooth by the road

Mine sure did.

Stephencl
March 15th, 2011, 20:42
Anyone have the part numbers for the splash panel? Thanks in advance.

Stephen

marklar182
March 15th, 2011, 20:52
Anyone have the part numbers for the splash panel? Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Get ready for sticker shock! 4B3863821C

ben916
March 15th, 2011, 21:04
Get ready for sticker shock! 4B3863821C

$324 @ Genuine.

It takes a $hitload of abuse... kinda like MaxRS6's tires and rotors :)

lswing
June 8th, 2011, 19:02
Could someone post up a good company to order the stock under tray from? Mine didn't come with one, guess they lost it along the way, rolling a bit naked right now....

speedtrapped
June 8th, 2011, 19:13
4B3863821C ....genuine audivwparts.com

hahnmgh63
June 8th, 2011, 19:38
Yea, I may not be able to salvage mine. After I got the engine/tranny out to add salt to the wound, I went out to the carport on the side of my shop and jumped in my truck, walked up to it from behind, didn't notice that the wind had blown my belly pan over and it was sitting in front of the truck. I proceded to drive over it and heard some crackling going on, SH$T !!!

lswing
June 8th, 2011, 20:23
Thanks for the info....$350 shipped, yikes!......it's a nice piece of plastic I guess.....thinking about fabricating one, but those scoops would be tough....

ben916
June 8th, 2011, 20:26
it gets beat to hell but is a necessary item.

Do the cooling mod while you have it off.
Did you order the 14 Dzus fasteners????????????? hint hint hint

JSRS6
June 8th, 2011, 22:40
14? I guess, if you want extras...get em from genuine. IIRC, they were x2 on Ecs.

s42ski
June 17th, 2011, 19:19
Well - count me as another convert to this mod - took me a while to finally do it ( the mod time was a couple hours) - but it really makes a difference - the amount of heat coming out from under the car is amazing. Butt Dyno seems to notice a difference as well especially after driving for a while (less heat soak)

I also had to order a new "dampening cover" since mine was shot and breaking apart. I was still able to make the mod, but a new one from genuine is on the way.

Dave - talked with Brian at BND. The ACES is a catalyst so you need a certain concentration for it to be effective. If there is less than 2.5/3 ozs per 6 gallons then the effectiveness starts to drop off.

Mr Balsen
June 17th, 2011, 20:25
any idea which will lower temperature inside the engine bay is always usefull on our RS6...

Ghost-
June 2nd, 2012, 19:54
Well, getting this thread back alive,
I just made the sportec vent mod to my C5, this truly makes a big difference in the engine cooling!

Cheers!

Beastly
June 2nd, 2012, 20:08
bolts - I am impressed, - I used rivets and also love this mod. Do you have data on temp difference?

Ghost-
June 2nd, 2012, 20:22
bolts - I am impressed, - I used rivets and also love this mod. Do you have data on temp difference?
Why are you impressed about the bolts? :S

On a normal summer day, the temp reaches 38 - 40°C. Before the mod, the oil temp reached always what I think is 105°C (between the 90°C and 120°C marks). After the mod, the oil temp barely passes over the 90°C mark.
But of course, when I am stuck in traffic with speeds less than 25 km/h the oil temp reaches 105°C again.
Here is a picture of my dashboard:

Mudguts
June 3rd, 2012, 02:16
Im going to do this!

4everRS
June 3rd, 2012, 02:27
Im going to do this!

Probably One of the top 10 most viewed mod threads on this site. Really should be in the FAQ sticky.

lswing
June 3rd, 2012, 06:18
Ummm, your photo shows nothing it seems, the car looks to be off:) The one worry about the mod is extra debris and water getting in, I believe, but the cooler the better, nice work!

kilian tuning
June 3rd, 2012, 09:55
Why are you impressed about the bolts? :S

On a normal summer day, the temp reaches 38 - 40°C. Before the mod, the oil temp reached always what I think is 105°C (between the 90°C and 120°C marks). After the mod, the oil temp barely passes over the 90°C mark.
But of course, when I am stuck in traffic with speeds less than 25 km/h the oil temp reaches 105°C again.
Here is a picture of my dashboard:

thats a ''cool'' looking dash.....:)

Mudguts
June 3rd, 2012, 16:30
Probably One of the top 10 most viewed mod threads on this site. Really should be in the FAQ sticky.

A sticky for top 10 mods would be fantastic!

Ghost-
June 3rd, 2012, 16:54
thats a ''cool'' looking dash.....:)

:S well, it seems I uploaded the wrong photo and deleted the needed one...
will take another photo when I have chance

Justin9212
June 3rd, 2012, 20:51
New project for me!

kismetcapitan
July 18th, 2012, 12:09
with my cover off because of the damned alternator dying, I'm going to do this today. Never used a rivet gun before, but everything looks pretty straightforward.

With Hotchkis bars, the ends of the aluminum need to be rounded off?

kevin
July 18th, 2012, 14:17
Nope. Nice time to do mod.

4.2Crew
July 18th, 2012, 15:55
Probably One of the top 10 most viewed mod threads on this site.

Wow!... 21,000+ thread views!

Quick math while sitting in a boring meeting...

(21,000 views) divided by (2000 total RS6's world-wide) = 10+ views per owner => FAQ Sticky

Chung
July 18th, 2012, 18:07
This thread makes me miss some of people that haven't posted in a while.

kismetcapitan
July 18th, 2012, 21:33
question: if one isn't going to use angle stock in the rear, and I don't plan to, is it really necessary to do flat stock on the rear edge? Probably good for strength, but seems to me that it isn't required.

then again, if Sportec used angle stock pointing upwards, it might be for a reason (to help direct radiator air out the hold by blocking it from going further under the engine). The closeness of the belt worries me though. Maybe I'll use 3/4" angle stock there...

kevin
July 18th, 2012, 21:39
I would stick with the original plans. These angles help create high and low pressure areas. Just saying.

kismetcapitan
July 18th, 2012, 22:52
that's what I'm thinking, although people who only put angled pieces on the front edge seem happy.

I'm doing both, exactly as per the Sportec design.

ben916
July 18th, 2012, 23:18
that's what I'm thinking, although people who only put angled pieces on the front edge seem happy.

I'm doing both, exactly as per the Sportec design.

This is exactly what I did, only the front outward angle and flat on the inward side.
It is really too close to the serp belt.

Also, if you purchase a mountain bike inner tube tire and cut it in half, it is essentially a "gasket" between the aluminum bar and the metal "rabbit" wire.
Also, the tiny rivets 1/4" were too small to use, we had to upgrade to the 3/8" rivets, which requires a larger rivet gun...

kismetcapitan
July 19th, 2012, 14:50
parts collected. I found an offset angle, 1/2" x 3/4". I'm going to use that in the rear to give the belt more clearance. Also looked at rivet options and...went with very short machine screws, washers for the plastic side, and red Loctite. I'm currently pondering using fewer screws and then using superglue to help bond the plastic to the aluminum.

Chung
July 19th, 2012, 17:06
I think this might be my weekend project along with installing my sways.

ben916
July 19th, 2012, 17:41
I think this might be my weekend project along with installing my sways.

Jigsaw and painters tape to start with...
I will be in B-ham on Sat.
Sunday might be still up there...

Let me know...
Time constraints don't allow time to Roy Wa. @ Mark's for a timing belt party

kismetcapitan
July 19th, 2012, 17:47
done! needed a jigsaw and a drill, and I just marked out the holes with a marker and ruler.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/tobereeno/file-123.jpg

The rear edge does have a lip, but only 1/2" instead of 1" as on the Sportec car - it's splitting the difference between the 1" design and going with nothing. 1/2" is about even with the NACA duct so I think it should be safe enough.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/tobereeno/file-124.jpg

not the cleanest job by any means, but I broke both my metal jigsaw blades and couldn't trim the rear edge. When I finally got to the holes, I just eyeballed it - my car was about to be finished with the alternator repair and I needed to get this panel back into the shop. Will still do its job!

lswing
July 19th, 2012, 17:50
Don't you need some mesh in there to keep rocks out? Looks good though!

Chung
July 19th, 2012, 18:27
I am going to do the work at my sister's garage since we are already going to be in Vancouver picking up a car for a friend.

kismetcapitan
July 19th, 2012, 20:13
Don't you need some mesh in there to keep rocks out? Looks good though!

I was thinking so, but mesh won't keep out pebbles. The aluminum will also deflect things and there's some pretty strong airflow coming out of the holes. I'd just worry about animals crawling up into the engine while its parked :P

My work was done entirely on my kitchen floor. Well, not the removal and reinstallation of the panel itself :P

makaveli42
July 19th, 2012, 21:47
My work was done entirely on my kitchen floor. Well, not the removal and reinstallation of the panel itself :P

I could tell by the white floor mat you bought from Bed Bath & Beyond in one if the pics....lol

1uglymug
July 22nd, 2012, 02:45
I went ahead and added lower vents yesterday. Here are the pictures. I used bolts for easy change if I needed change back. Many of you are from various climates so I should not worry. But with the belts being right there I couldn't help but be concerned about water or snow splashing up there. I figure the belts will start squealing if they get wet and will be the first sign I need to change back.

Everyone's pictures were a great help, notice the laptop with RS6.com open. :)

mik15
August 30th, 2012, 18:30
bought today the necessary materials and tomorrow will be doing this mod, hopefully will see a difference, considering the hot climate here will be very good for the engine, this summer i saw temperatures up to 122F or more so this should really help..:bow:

mik15
August 31st, 2012, 16:15
job done...took me and my friend about 3hrs, an easy DIY but but it takes a bit of time to put together all the bits and bobs...some really hot air it's now coming through these vents, you can barely keep your hand there for more than 30sec, so i am really happy with the result, didn't check the oil temperature but reading the dial on the cluster it seems to be a bit lower, today were about 105-110F here...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2lwmwhx.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/ngypf5.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2znwh1c.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/oqyhb8.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/909kat.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/24e28h0.jpg

ben916
August 31st, 2012, 16:33
nice work, mik15!!!

DHall1
April 7th, 2013, 16:46
Summer is quickly approaching. Do you have the Sportec cooling mod performed on your RS6?

One of the best threads of all time.

kilian tuning
April 7th, 2013, 17:28
I went ahead and added lower vents yesterday. Here are the pictures. I used bolts for easy change if I needed change back. Many of you are from various climates so I should not worry. But with the belts being right there I couldn't help but be concerned about water or snow splashing up there. I figure the belts will start squealing if they get wet and will be the first sign I need to change back.

Everyone's pictures were a great help, notice the laptop with RS6.com open. :)regarding that last pic...is your engine leaking?

DST
April 8th, 2013, 05:20
Anyone in wet/snowy climates done this mod? I live in Alaska and I'm concerned about snow/winter muck getting in there/on the belts, etc. Lots of winter road grime up here. I'd really like some input on actual winter performance from those that DD. I sometimes have to drive through fresh snow before plowing/snow blowing, typically 8" or less, if more than that I'd probably drive the truck.

Feedback appreciated. We don't get hotter than about 75/80F in the summer normally so this mod may not be that important here in AK, but still, cooler = better.

mik15
April 8th, 2013, 05:41
i don't think you need this mod in Alaska, though it won't hurt but you will most likely get some debris in there plus the snow, but again that would get melt instantly considering the enormous amount of heat the engine generates, it might actually work better than a plow :)

lswing
April 8th, 2013, 05:46
Considered it here in Oregon, warm enough 2-3 months out of the year. Might just get another tray for summer and open that one up...afraid of debris rest of the season.

4everRS
April 15th, 2013, 01:40
I'll be doing this on the new beast. Did it to the old one and loved it. Definitely a difference. I had no issues with weather living in central MN.

Chung
April 15th, 2013, 01:56
Has any tried to put the metal "L" bracket on the intercooler spots? Mine were looking very tattered when I last looked.

lswing
June 25th, 2014, 04:11
Yep, doing this soon...average is about 90 this week....still plenty of summer.

Falltboat
June 25th, 2014, 15:40
Anyone know the part number for the shield? I bought a Beast not to long ago and finally got it back from the shop (after a torque converter, oil cooler, front pads and rotors, serp belt, and some other misc items) and was taking a look around the car and noticed that the shield was missing. I don't know if this was taken off by the shop and not replaced (I had numerous issues and arguments with them while the work was being done) or it if wasn't there when I bought the car. I didn't know exactly was I was getting into when I purchased the car but I'm excited to be finally taking care of the car unlike the last 3 owners.

marklar182
June 25th, 2014, 15:53
4b3863821c

ben916
June 25th, 2014, 15:53
Anyone know the part number for the shield? I bought a Beast not to long ago and finally got it back from the shop (after a torque converter, oil cooler, front pads and rotors, serp belt, and some other misc items) and was taking a look around the car and noticed that the shield was missing. I don't know if this was taken off by the shop and not replaced (I had numerous issues and arguments with them while the work was being done) or it if wasn't there when I bought the car. I didn't know exactly was I was getting into when I purchased the car but I'm excited to be finally taking care of the car unlike the last 3 owners.

I think the part number is in this thread and it isn't cheap (which isn't surprising at all given these cars)

edit ^^^^^

lswing
June 25th, 2014, 19:17
$395.06 from genuine audi....holy @$#@$#@$!!!!

I swear I bought mine a few years ago from them for $295???

mik15
June 26th, 2014, 05:32
in the spirit of reducing under-hood temperatures, has anyone removed the sound insulator that's on the hood? would that be a good contribution to the goal of having some better cooling in the engine bay?

i had a while back a '08 Cayenne Turbo and those don't come with that sound insulator on the hood, i was initially surprised to see it missing and thought that maybe the previous owner had an accident, however the car had never been in an accident and after checking with Porsche service they confirmed that this is how they come from factory, so i guess that if Porsche didn't fit it for, probably, good reasons and not only because of costs, why did Audi since i am pretty sure it doesn't do any good apart maybe from reducing just a tiny bit the engine noise heard outside but at the price of keeping the heat trapped....

audiprotn
June 26th, 2014, 16:46
in the spirit of reducing under-hood temperatures, has anyone removed the sound insulator that's on the hood? would that be a good contribution to the goal of having some better cooling in the engine bay?

i had a while back a '08 Cayenne Turbo and those don't come with that sound insulator on the hood, i was initially surprised to see it missing and thought that maybe the previous owner had an accident, however the car had never been in an accident and after checking with Porsche service they confirmed that this is how they come from factory, so i guess that if Porsche didn't fit it for, probably, good reasons and not only because of costs, why did Audi since i am pretty sure it doesn't do any good apart maybe from reducing just a tiny bit the engine noise heard outside but at the price of keeping the heat trapped....
Maybe Cayenne's hood was made out of durable, better heat resistant material?

hahnmgh63
June 27th, 2014, 01:50
I removed the liner in my RS6 3 or 4 yrs ago. When I had the engine out 3 yrs ago I also had my exhaust manifolds Ceramic coated to reduce under hood temperatures for one thing and it seems to help. I have not had any problems with my under hood paint and really don't notice any increase in noise while the engine is idling. I would probably have to have a side by side comparison to tell the difference in noise at idle.

lswing
June 27th, 2014, 18:45
I removed the liner in my RS6 3 or 4 yrs ago. When I had the engine out 3 yrs ago I also had my exhaust manifolds Ceramic coated to reduce under hood temperatures for one thing and it seems to help. I have not had any problems with my under hood paint and really don't notice any increase in noise while the engine is idling. I would probably have to have a side by side comparison to tell the difference in noise at idle.

I always forget that I had my downpipes ceramic coated, should help! Tried to have the exhaust manifolds done also, but they screwed that up so I just put new un-coated ones on, that was a debacle...coating company sprayed a bunch of crap inside the exhaust manifolds, end of story, sand kept coming out.

SteveKen
September 15th, 2015, 14:01
Bringing this back to the top because my attention span and search skills are lacking.

I hope to be doing this soon to my brand new belly pan.

Currently adding to my McMaster-Carr order . . .