PDA

View Full Version : Picture comparison: Audi S5 vs. RS5

Erik
March 11th, 2010, 12:11
Perhaps this is the answer to the question noone has, but nevertheless here we go:

http://www.rs6.com/AudiRS5/Audis5vsRS5.jpg

Click on the attachment if you would like the picture smaller for some reason. (I'm on 30" so...size matters! :D )

crespo
March 11th, 2010, 13:55
Certainly helps put it in perspective, making the S5 look a bit lame in comparison. I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Ruergard
March 12th, 2010, 07:02
The S5 looks just great when you see in on the streets. But compared to this... :love:

2jm
March 16th, 2010, 21:54
And where are the RS style flared wheel arches?

I'm pretty upset with Audi with this. All the normal RS standard has been dropped off, no flared wheel arches, you have to pay for the paint, you even have to pay for the matt aluminium optics, DRC is extra (whoever wants that, but should IMO be no extra option). RS seats have been on extras list since RS6.

RS5 still looks magnificent, especially compared to MB or BMW rivals, but this pricing policy is from deep dark hole...

Erik
March 16th, 2010, 22:04
They are there, just not easy to spot on a 2D drawing.

2jm
March 16th, 2010, 23:03
They are there, just not easy to spot on a 2D drawing.

They are similar to those on current RS6 which doesn't qualify IMO to flared, only reshaped.
Good that even that. But the cars are now designed for so wide wheels that there is no need for big flares. For A6 you can choose 265 wide tires (RS6 275) and for A5 255 (RS5 265). For A4 B7 it was 235 and RS4 had 255. A4 B8 could be chosen with 255 wide tires so no need to expect any flared wheel arches for the future RS4 B8 whether it's even ever coming. I am just keen on the muscular look of old RS cars rather than this new design. Especially the old RS4 B5 is really bumping out of traffic, unlike the new RS6. It's still far better than for example BMW X5/6M which are looking very boring compared to standard model.

RXBG
March 17th, 2010, 00:08
re: wheel arches. the RS5 has reshaped upper arch sections a la RS6- i call them blisters. the wheel arch width itself is the same. this keeps down costs. ther RS4 type of thing is more voluminous and likely more expensive. it would still make the car look wider- and currently it looks imo about 75% of what RS4 style arches would have made the car look. i agree on the down low- if audi had put bona fide RS4 style arches this thing would look insane. perhaps too much, in fact. the S5 is already a pretty wide car, so in the end it probably doesn't need so much more.