PDA

View Full Version : Bearings....

Aronis
March 8th, 2010, 21:33
Any recommendations on routine maintenence for bearings???

Mike

SAFE4NOW
March 8th, 2010, 23:19
Wheel bearings? No service possible. I replaced mine around 70k.. while I am sure lowering the car probably sped up their wear.

Engine... < shrug > consistant oil services maybe.

Steve

snoopra
March 11th, 2010, 11:09
Wheel bearings? No service possible. I replaced mine around 70k.. while I am sure lowering the car probably sped up their wear.

Engine... < shrug > consistant oil services maybe.

Steve
Did you replace all four corners? Any special tools? Is it an easy DIY? What were the signs that prompted the replacement? I've had occational shudder/vibrations, like an out-of-balance wheel, then it would go away so I suspect the bearings. (Sorry for the highjack:))

SAFE4NOW
March 11th, 2010, 13:56
Did you replace all four corners? Any special tools? Is it an easy DIY? What were the signs that prompted the replacement? I've had occational shudder/vibrations, like an out-of-balance wheel, then it would go away so I suspect the bearings. (Sorry for the highjack:))

I replaced the front's only. No special tools, other than what would be required to take brakes all the way off ( calipers, rotors, etc ) When I get back into the office Monday, I will post pictures of the process and more details.
I believe one could do this job if they could do their own brake job.
I had a intermittant shuddering sensation, as if you had a flat tire. Then the slight rotational growling noise, that would shift depending on weight transfer ( ie: rocking car right to left at speed )

More to follow...

Steve

DonS
March 11th, 2010, 19:26
$380 for replacement of the left-rear wheel bearing at my local dealer. There's money to be saved by doing it yourself. My bearing growled as I drove at any speed - sounded like a bad tire or a tank. Jack up your car and grab onto the tire ar 3:00 and 9:00 o'clock and try to wobble the wheel. If you have play, you have a bad bearing.

snoopra
March 12th, 2010, 01:51
Yes, I've herd the growling. I'll just do all when I pull the trans.

V8weight
March 12th, 2010, 01:53
Yes, I've herd the growling. I'll just do all when I pull the trans.
Are you planning an upgrade?

snoopra
March 12th, 2010, 01:55
SAFE4NOW, do post those details. Also, will I need a bearing press?

V8weight
March 12th, 2010, 02:02
The front wheel bearing is a bolt in assy., but the hub will need to be pressed out of the old bearing and into the new assy. The rear wheel bearings I believe are only available as a press in bearing, not an assy.

snoopra
March 12th, 2010, 13:20
Are you planning an upgrade?
Yes, full Tozo upgrade!!