PDA

View Full Version : BRAKES? What brand is the best for the buck?

RGSRS6
March 6th, 2010, 17:15
I am finding out that I am going to need brakes in the VERY near future and was wonderingif you guys can shed some light on this? All advise is welcome and if possible ad links so I can check it out, or if someone knows someone that has some but never put them on and wants to sell them. Thanks :rs6kiss:

DHall1
March 6th, 2010, 18:21
In all good fun.

Dude, we have 7 years of brake threads in this forum under the search button.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/doublefacepalm.jpg

Amulet-S6
March 6th, 2010, 18:49
Dave you're killing me with these photo's. For pads only, the concensus quick answer seems to be: look down a few threads to the "EBC Reds" thread.

Jim

p3u
March 6th, 2010, 19:11
I am finding out that I am going to need brakes in the VERY near future and was wonderingif you guys can shed some light on this? All advise is welcome and if possible ad links so I can check it out, or if someone knows someone that has some but never put them on and wants to sell them. Thanks:rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss ::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6 kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss:

I use the JHM 2 piece slotted rotors, very nice design. Much better cooling then the stock rotors, and much lighter ( 6.5lbs each.) Plus you only have to replace the rotor ring when they wear, so second time around the cost is the same as what you would have been for the stock, thrid time around less.

Also rec using a different pad then stock, they are crap. I use the Hawk HPS, and ZERO dust, ZERO squeel!

JRS-RS6
March 6th, 2010, 23:06
I have a set of mildly used front pads if your interested since I just installed EBC Redstuffs (hint much). Now where did I put a picture to go with Dave's? Maybe one of those RS600 used brake salesman jobs with the big cigar.

JRS-RS6
March 6th, 2010, 23:16
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/used_car.jpg?t=1267253377

ben916
March 6th, 2010, 23:17
I haven't had a chance to install the REDS but you are on the short list of locals to participate.
A location is the next hard part....

JRS-RS6
March 6th, 2010, 23:21
I have a set of mildly used front pads if your interested since I just installed EBC Redstuffs (hint much). Now where did I put a picture to go with Dave's? Maybe one of those RS600 used brake salesman jobs with the big cigar.

If you PM me quick you can pick them up from me at LAX tomorrow night!!! Late though.

DHall1
March 7th, 2010, 00:51
JRS

I know you have a photobucket acct and can copy and paste the photos into the thread. Its more fun with the pic.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/duckfootwing1.jpg?t=1267922325

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/used_car.jpg?t=1267253377

RGSRS6
March 7th, 2010, 03:54
I know about some threads but I am curious about the alcon brake upgrade and do they have a rear converstion? and where do i get them and how much?

GEN XER
March 7th, 2010, 04:26
Dave bring the Monkey out.

I started this thread when I first got here check it out.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/18075-My-Parts-Thread?highlight=

DHall1
March 7th, 2010, 04:38
You are killing me here. If you wanted info on the Alcon upgrade then please say so. The first post is so open that nobody has a clue.

Max, tell the man about the Alcon brakes.

I know about some threads but I am curious about the alcon brake upgrade and do they have a rear converstion? and where do i get them and how much?

JRS-RS6
March 7th, 2010, 12:22
OK testing........

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/JRS-RS6/used_car.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack.

MaxRS6
March 7th, 2010, 13:16
I purchased the Alcon BBK and put in Motul 600 brake fluid for its' first track event to help prevent fading. Fading brakes did not seem like a fun thing to experience so I went with the the Alcons to reduce the risk. IIRC, the setup was approx $3,500. I have not ecountered fading issues over several track events, or on the road through some long twisties in the back woods. They bring the heavy car to a stop very quickly. The passengers sometimes don't like this so much if I am in "one of my moods". However; I think the OEM brakes were just about as good. The infamous OEM squeal and dust also went missing with the change in brake pads, and I think there was some weight savings. You will need to take BBK size into consideration if you decide to swap wheels for clearance issues. The Alcons fit the OEM wheel without spacers.

Others have used the Phaeton duct mod with success to help fading issues, and is certainly a less expensive route and described at the following link

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel60.shtml

So with all that typed- I would say it depends on what you are looking for in your brake system (will you be tracking much, travel in areas with continous heavy braking, etc.), budget, and "just what you want". My dealer did not mind putting them on the car. Some dealers will not do this and that may also be a consideration unless you DIY.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Alcon%20BBK/AlconBBK1.jpg?t=1267964466

Amulet-S6
March 8th, 2010, 21:42
I've seen it firsthand: Max is so smooth on the track that he rarely even touches his brakes

ben916
March 8th, 2010, 21:45
I've seen it firsthand: Max is so smooth on the track that he rarely even touches his brakes

When you (read as Max) are putting around at 15 MPH, no one needs to use their brakes... muchless worry about fade and the like...

MaxRS6
March 8th, 2010, 23:28
^^ LOL- Ben must have seen some of my videos..Dang!

The only reason Amulet didn't lap me is that I'm sitting in the garage with the other noobs while he is on the track with the pros. Funny thing is the last time I saw him- he comes over to the garage and says "I smell brake pads". Dang straight, that mini cooper sporting the clown tires was tuff to get around.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Alcon%20BBK/MaxJim1.jpg?t=1268090444

Amulet-S6
March 9th, 2010, 21:37
^^ LOL- Ben must have seen some of my videos..Dang!

The only reason Amulet didn't lap me is that I'm sitting in the garage with the other noobs while he is on the track with the pros. Funny thing is the last time I saw him- he comes over to the garage and says "I smell brake pads". Dang straight, that mini cooper sporting the clown tires was tuff to get around.

Max, You slay me! Your story triggered this Flashback:
For me, the highlight of many work days is the drive home when I get to utilize the torque of my car for quick acceleration. The first "Smart" car I encountered was as I was headed up the highway on-ramp and had to brake drastically due to his slow progress. Immediate and everlasting disdain for all "Smart" cars. Prius are a close second.

Now picture me headed down a long straight hwy last week halfway into a 3 hours drive. It's a bright, sunny afternoon and I've seemingly got the hwy to myself. Yes, I was driving over the posted speed limit. Well up ahead, I see a smart car in the left-hand lane... if only I had 007's offensive weapons. Flashing headlights and blinkers don't deter his left lane position. As I rapidly close the gap between us, I notice the rear window is Pink... Huh? As I pass him on the right (legal in US) I look over to see two clowns in full make-up, costume, and huge Pink Afro wigs covering the entire width of the car. If ever there had been a "you can't make this stuff up" moment, this was it. I chuckled well past the time they were no longer visible in my rear view mirror. End Story. Jim

DHall1
March 9th, 2010, 22:47
Key tips from the story.

Not only do Prius owners not know where the brake pedal is.....they also dont know how to shift into neutral or turn off the key. Watch out people.

Smart car.....well all I can say is....watch out idjuits!

Lastly, if the blue hairs are out on course this Thur.....you may read about it in the news. Jim, we are heading up to Superstition Mts in Phoenix to have some fun.

pic coming

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/DaveRV5-21.jpg?t=1268175346

For me, the highlight of many work days is the drive home when I get to utilize the torque of my car for quick acceleration. The first "Smart" car I encountered was as I was headed up the highway on-ramp and had to brake drastically due to his slow progress. Immediate and everlasting disdain for all "Smart" cars. Prius are a close second.

Now picture me headed down a long straight hwy last week halfway into a 3 hours drive. It's a bright, sunny afternoon and I've seemingly got the hwy to myself. Yes, I was driving over the posted speed limit. Well up ahead, I see a smart car in the left-hand lane... if only I had 007's offensive weapons. Flashing headlights and blinkers don't deter his left lane position. As I rapidly close the gap between us, I notice the rear window is Pink... Huh? As I pass him on the right (legal in US) I look over to see two clowns in full make-up, costume, and huge Pink Afro wigs covering the entire width of the car. If ever there had been a "you can't make this stuff up" moment, this was it. I chuckled well past the time they were no longer visible in my rear view mirror. End Story. Jim

JRS-RS6
March 10th, 2010, 06:57

I respectfully disagree -- passing on the right is NOT legal in the US. Like so many laws my foreign coworkers and customers ask me about this varies by state and cannot be generalized.

DHall1
March 10th, 2010, 07:01
Then I will pass everyone on the sidewalks.

Get the cotton pickin idjuits off the roads!

And dont even think about sending them to the country club.

I respectfully disagree -- passing on the right is NOT legal in the US. Like so many laws my foreign coworkers and customers ask me about this varies by state and cannot be generalized.

ben916
March 10th, 2010, 07:23

You are correct on your statement of passing on the right.... BUT...
when the idjuits have their a$$e$ planted in the left lane and do 66MPH and think they are booking along and they aren't moving right for anyone, even for a CHP (witnessed last Friday until he blipped the siren), It is time to pass on the right.
Also there are many highways that have signage posted that you are to stay in the right lane unless passing..

Send them ALL here... 32.856352,-111.693097

JRS-RS6
March 10th, 2010, 13:50
Dave and Ben I agree with you both about the driving habits of most other Americans.

I just felt it was important to clarify; for our International friends in particular, that passing on the right (for the most part) is NOT legal in the US and that there is NO US Drivers License (currently). This is in fact a States Rights issue. Our situation is rather unusal to many others because Drivers License and Road Regulations are (for the most part) Country specific whereas we are dual citizens in the US holding not only a National Citizenship (and possible Passport) but a State Citizenship and that we live under varied laws (Federal and State). Most foreigners I have known ask me what is this or that law (and punishment) in the US -- to which I respond (most of the time) that it varies from State to State. The most glaring examples that come to mind are Capital Punishment and rules of Self Defense and use of Force which are all highly varied.

JRS-RS6
March 10th, 2010, 14:05
I am finding out that I am going to need brakes in the VERY near future and was wonderingif you guys can shed some light on this? All advise is welcome and if possible ad links so I can check it out, or if someone knows someone that has some but never put them on and wants to sell them. Thanks:rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss ::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6 kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss:

Bump on Topic -- did you ever get an answer to your question RGSRS6?

My vote as noted above was EBC Redstuff with Stock Rotors and my reasons are: less dust, better performance, less dust, lifetime, less dust, cost, and less dust. And I forgot to mention less dust. Stock pads damage front rotors starting at about 50% lifetime and make tons and tons of dust. There cost is about the same as EBC Redstuff but there performance is not as good. Brakes really depend on what your needs and trade off priorities are.

DHall1
March 10th, 2010, 14:55
Stock pads are made by Pagid.

Stock pads cost 3x more than EBC Redstuff.

No brainer.

Edit: My reply was in response to the bold type below. Stock pads are not the same price as EBC Reds.

My vote as noted above was EBC Redstuff with Stock Rotors and my reasons are: less dust, better performance, less dust, lifetime, less dust, cost, and less dust. And I forgot to mention less dust. Stock pads damage front rotors starting at about 50% lifetime and make tons and tons of dust. There cost is about the same as EBC Redstuff but there performance is not as good. Brakes really depend on what your needs and trade off priorities are.

JRS-RS6
March 10th, 2010, 15:33
Stock pads are made by Pagid.

Stock pads cost 3x more than EBC Redstuff.

No brainer.

And that is why I just did my Fronts and Backs with Redstuff even though the fronts were done with Pagids and new Rotors just before I bought the car. So if anyone wants some lightly worn (<3K miles) Pagids for the front and cheap let me know, I also have some rear pads that are cheap too!

ben916
March 10th, 2010, 17:01

You failed to mention less dust... I, along with all RS6 owners, are quite shocked you didn't include that important tidbit of information.
I will have photos soon to prove the point....

Erik
March 10th, 2010, 17:38
Allright, please keep it down with the non relevant photos.

It's fun from time to time, but overkill doesn't do it for me and can ruin a serious thread quite easily.

I also edited the thread title. One question mark and smiley is enough. ;)

JRS-RS6
March 10th, 2010, 18:38
You failed to mention less dust... I, along with all RS6 owners, are quite shocked you didn't include that important tidbit of information.
I will have photos soon to prove the point....

When Pat was going to town on my pads :mech: I decided to blow out the rotors with the shop door closed. :vgrumpy: Pretty soon I couldn't even see across the room.