PDA

View Full Version : Tires for MTM Bimoto '21

Skaala
March 4th, 2010, 14:52
I bough a used (40.000km) 2007 S8 last year. It has all the MTM gadgets including the wheels.

The wheels are 10,5 x 21 ET 40 LK 5x112, but due to bad roads the previous owner fitted narrower 265 tyres on it, streching the tyre over the rim, leaving the outer edge of the rim clear to be messed up by curbs. The car is tracking really bad, and you really have to hold the steeringwheel tight on b-roads. (Our roads are often really bad with deep grooves due to studded snowtires) The tires now are continental sport contac 3 (265/30/21) The previous owner fitted them just before I picked it up, so the tires only have about 10.000km on them.

Do you think it will help to mount the normal (MTM standard 285 width) tires?

And what would be the best choice of tires? I have looked into Michelin Pilot sport 2. I see that MTM sell them with Dunlop Sport Maxx, but I cant het hold of them here.

appreciate the input

Benman
March 4th, 2010, 19:46
Can't help with tracking suggestions since studded tires were banned from our roads long ago...

but...

my bet would be the PS2s and I doubt going bigger (285) will help with tracking issues...

Skaala
March 5th, 2010, 08:36
I was hoping that maybe the stretching of the tire made the tracking worse, so that it would improve when a normal size is fitted....the rubber just doesn't look right when it is fitted stretched like that.

skribe
March 6th, 2010, 02:30
Generally wider tires track more. I once had a 2600lb GTI with 245's and that thing would drive itself all over the road on grooved pavement...

You should for sure get an alignment and check camber, who knows, you could be rolling around with positive camber or something. Also a less stiff sidewall (on a less agressive tire) will give you a little more give on lateral tracking. Of course, that has other trade-offs...