PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Aston Martin AV8 concept?...Well...

Klint
September 8th, 2003, 21:10
...They're going to make it. And give it the label "DB9".

What a beaut!!

The Aston Martin DB9, the first car to be produced at the company’s modern and recently completed facility in Gaydon, Warwickshire, is making its world debut at this year’s Frankfurt Motor Show on Tuesday, 9th September.

The innovative DB9 heralds an exciting new era for Aston Martin as it reflects the direction that the company is now taking with all future models.

Using a radical new aluminium bonded frame, the 2+2 DB9 is one of the most sophisticated and technically advanced sports cars in the world. It successfully balances the attributes of a sports car with features normally found on luxury cars.

It is also the first production model to use VH Platform strategy (Vertical/Horizontal), which is unique to Aston Martin and will form the basis for all future Aston Martin models. Its advantages are that it is very light, provides better performance, handling and durability and yet it is extremely rigid.

“The DB9 will without doubt be the most important Aston Martin model ever,” said Dr Ulrich Bez, CEO of Aston Martin. “Not only is it the first time in our history that we have a purpose-built facility but we now also have a dedicated platform.

“The DB9 is an excellent example of what we as a company stand for today – namely making elegant and understated British sports cars for individuals.”

The all new DB9 will be crafted at Aston Martin’s new Gaydon facility which is one of the most advanced of its kind in the world. Using the very latest in automotive technology and materials to create the DB9, Aston Martin will spend more than 200 hours hand-building each car.

Power for the DB9 comes from a 450bhp V12 engine which has been developed specifically for this model. The DB9 will also be offered with an extensive list of materials and colour combinations for the interior and exterior paint finishes allowing customers to continue the Aston Martin tradition of personalising their car.

The DB9 will replace the current DB7 which finishes production at the end of 2003. This has become Aston Martin’s most successful model ever. Launched in 1993, the DB7 is intrinsically linked to Aston Martin’s achievements over the past decade with more than 7000 examples produced.

The Aston Martin DB9 will be introduced into the markets around the world in the Spring of 2004. Final pricing and specification will be announced then.

Specifications

Engine: All alloy quad overhead cam 48 valve 5935cc V12. Compression ratio 10.3:1. Visteon engine management controlling fuel injection, ignition, diagnostics and misfire detection system. Stainless steel by-pass valve exhaust system.

Transmission: Shift by wire six speed auto transaxle. Six speed manual transaxle. Limited slip differential. Final Drive Ratio

Interior/Electronics: Full Bridge of Weir leather interior. Six direction electrically controlled front seats (including height adjustment) with optional seat heaters. Air conditioning, rear screen and mirror heating, front screen heating (optional) electronic traction control. Linn stereo entertainment system with 6 CD autochanger available in three options. Alarm and immobiliser system with remote central locking and boot release. Full colour satellite navigation system (optional). Cruise control (optional). Tyre pressure sensing system (optional). Organic Electro Luminescence’s (OEL) instrument pack and air con display. Message centre and trip computer display. Park distance sensors (Optional). Battery disconnect switch. High Intensity discharge (HID) front lighting. Full LED rear lighting.

Kerb Weight: 1710 kgs (Manual) 1760 kgs (Automatic)

Acceleration:
0–60 mph (Manual) 4.7 secs
0–60 mph (Automatic) 4.9 secs
0–100 km/h (Manual) 4.9 secs
0–100 km/h (Automatic) 5.1 secs
0–100 mph (Manual) 10.8 secs
0–100 mph (Automatic) 10.9 secs

Maximum speed: 300km/h (186 mph)

Text & Photos: Aston Martin

:cheers:

Klint
September 8th, 2003, 21:11
Nice!

Klint
September 8th, 2003, 21:12
Last one...:bow:

Erik
September 8th, 2003, 21:28
It's a very nice car. What's the price?
I think the Bentley GT will be a though competitor...

Klint
September 8th, 2003, 21:48
Originally posted by Erik
It's a very nice car. What's the price?
I think the Bentley GT will be a though competitor...

Good point Erik,

But it wont happen. I see where your coming from though.

Having today's DB7 price comparitive to the Continental GT as this will be the DB7's predocessor (sp?).

I think this will be targeted at the present 996 and future 997(?) in terms of prices, but have similar luxuries to the Conti' GT and performance to match the Gallardo, 996 Turbo etc.

tifosi
September 8th, 2003, 23:37
the spec indicates the engine has "quad overhead cam" design:bigeyes:

so, 8 camshaft in total?!
or is it a misprint?

as far as i know, DB7 Vantage/GT has a V12 with DOHC design.

Klint
September 8th, 2003, 23:56
Originally posted by tifosi
the spec indicates the engine has "quad overhead cam" design:bigeyes:

so, 8 camshaft in total?!
or is it a misprint?

as far as i know, DB7 Vantage/GT has a V12 with DOHC design.

Don't mind me. I'll explain abit.

DOHC means Double Over Head Cam....that's two cam shafts within the engine...the V12 has two banks, One camshaft per bank meaning it's a double Camshafted motor hence: DOHC.

Quad Cam means there is two more doing the job. So Instead of having one cam on each side controlling the exhaust and intake valves, they have one cam controlling the exhaust the other working the intake valves, and vice versa for the other bank, making four cams...or "Quad Cams"...Hope it clears it up abit. :)

tifosi
September 9th, 2003, 05:25
i think you mixed it up with SOHC

DOHC means 2 camshaft over each bank of cylinders, and in the case of S4 (both V6TT and V8) there are 4 camshafts in total. while BMW's I6 only has 2 camshafts per engine due to its inline engine configuration

while SOHC means 1 camshaft over each bank of cylinders. so there are 2 camshaft on, let's say Mercedes-Benz' C32 AMG or CL55 AMG.

but does quad cam means 4 camshaft at each cylinder bank? which will ended up 8 camshafts in total in the case of DB9's V12. or does it simply means there are 4 camshafts in total? or is it simply a typo?

Klint
September 9th, 2003, 17:19
Originally posted by tifosi
i think you mixed it up with SOHC

DOHC means 2 camshaft over each bank of cylinders,[/b]

Wrong. It (the title "DOHC") is given to the engine, not the bank of cylinders.

...and in the case of S4 (both V6TT and V8) there are 4 camshafts in total....

Maybe, i'm not too familiar with the engine layout of the Audi V6, bi-turbo and the V8.

BMW's I6 only has 2 camshafts per engine due to its inline engine configuration

Correct

while SOHC means 1 camshaft over each bank of cylinders.

Wrong, how many SOHC engines do you find with more than one bank of cylinders? None because one cam shaft can't supply the sequencing for the valves on two banks of cylinders.

...so there are 2 camshaft on, let's say Mercedes-Benz' C32 AMG or CL55 AMG.

I'm not too sure as they (MB) have triple valve cylinder heads, which I believe is one in and two exhaust valves.

but does quad cam means 4 camshaft at each cylinder bank? which will ended up 8 camshafts in total in the case of DB9's V12. or does it simply means there are 4 camshafts in total? or is it simply a typo?

I'm sure it isn't a typo (although I didn't physically type it out), I believe from a good judegment of the situation that it's a mis-understanding on your half. :)

Snow
September 9th, 2003, 18:11
Hm, I think the DB7 seven was featured in "Motorjournalen" (Swedish motor magazine on tv) this Monday BUT the test was done by a crazy Top Gear driver. It was also tested against a Jaguar, which model name I can't remember.

And if I remember correct, the price for the DB7 would be about £108'000. Worth it? I'm not the one to answer that.

As for the price for the DB9, well, more than £108'000 :rolleyes:

tifosi
September 10th, 2003, 00:04
Klint, i think you are the one that's incorrect.

SOHC, DOHC is refer to the number of camshafts per bank. while OHC generally mean only 1 camshaft in the engine, and it is usually found in American V8 such as the one in Corvette.

SOHC engines some times do have 2 camshafts when there's more than 1 cylinder banks in the engine. the most popular example can be 99% Mercedes-Benz' engines, as for prove i got the spec of the engine of the C32 AMG.

Engine AMG-built intercooled supercharged SOHC 18 valve 90 degree V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy cylinder heads. Reinforced crankshaft and valvetrain. Lightweight camshafts.

and the reason for Mercedes-Benz sticking with SOHC is precisly because of its 3 valve/2 sparkplug per cylinder design.

tifosi
September 10th, 2003, 01:44
http://individual.utoronto.ca/tifosi/Car/dohc.jpg

Klint
September 10th, 2003, 21:12
This is interesting, very interesting so I investigated more and deeper into the subject.

I've heard of a quad cam engine many times before, essentially meaning it has four cams in total within the engine...But in 'reality' it means there are two cams per bank (Fig.4 on your diagram). Which, is also given the term DOHC for the bank of cylinders. That's where your half correct and the term DOHC is given to the ENGINE if it has only one bank of cylinders but uses the DOHC layout.

I may or may not misunderstood, but i'm 50% certain I did/didn't..but ah well...back to the Aston Martin DB9.

It's appearing in many September/October issues of car magazines. Such as Top Gear and Car magazine.

BTW, Interesting diagram there. :)