PDA

View Full Version : MTM TCU, best $125 spent on my car.

p3u
February 26th, 2010, 07:07
I've been wanting to get the TCU reprogramed for some time, but didn't want the hassle of the down time of 3 days ( big deal I know) being that I'm down to one car now. Since I was sick last week I said screw it, I'm not going anywhere, so I pulled it, boxed it, and got it shipped.

On the third day, he rose again....

After UPS dropped it off I put the TCU back in its home and buttoned everything back up. Driving my beast so gently, to make sure all seemed well, the first thing I noticed is the control of the gear selection. When I told the car to shift, it shifted. I could go as far as keep 5th gear down to 1200rpm/32mph. This I particularly like, as I am always finding my self going over 40 to have it stay in 5th, and many of the roads are 40 limit..

After affirming the car was good to drive I put my foot down and instantly knew I made the right choice. The torque converter goes from regulating to locking SO much faster, ensuring that all of the power is in fact making it to the wheels as the car accelerates. When you let off the gas the TC tends to also stay engaged much longer, giving the feel the car is really in a gear like a manual would be.

All in all, the car should have been programed like this from the factory, best mod for the money that you can actually notice, and makes a big difference. If you are thinking about it, do it, if you're not thinking about it, start to.

Elevens
February 26th, 2010, 08:17
Thanks for the Info p3u. I will definitely be going that way after the ECU flash.

Ruergard
February 26th, 2010, 08:54
Great writeup, good information. :thumb:

RS6-4dr911
February 26th, 2010, 12:49
Thanks for the Info p3u. I will definitely be going that way after the ECU flash.

do it before the ECU flash, even if you never do the ECU, do it anyway.

vangelis
February 26th, 2010, 13:26
First thing i will do once I drop my car in MTM tomorrow, so will ship it to Hoppen Motorsport tomorrow itself. Local MTM dealer in Dubai gave a very high quote (Very weird)!!. I'm going anyway to drop my car at MTM Dubai tomorrow for Timing & V belts job, engine mounts, IC check, TC & Valve Body will be sent to IPT for upgrade, getting the Master Rebuild Kit (seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, friction clutches and reaction plates) from IPT to rebuild the Trans locally here, returen to 365mm brake setup. Still thinking to do KW v3 installation, 20" RS6 C6 wheels at the same time also. Big job,HUH! Wish me luck.

snoopra
February 26th, 2010, 13:57
+1. Did mine before getting the Unitronic flash, best $125 spent:)

uncfrk
February 26th, 2010, 14:28
I also just had the Hoppen do the MTM mod. to my TCU. I hope to try it soon. -5 deg F. this morning. Car is staying inside for a couple more weeks.

Frank

Hy Octane
February 26th, 2010, 17:59
You lug the motor at 32 mph in 5th gear? I never get out of 3rd in the city.. never use 5th till over 70mph..

ben916
February 27th, 2010, 04:33
I've been wanting to get the TCU reprogramed for some time, but didn't want the hassle of the down time of 3 days ( big deal I know) being that I'm down to one car now. Since I was sick last week I said screw it, I'm not going anywhere, so I pulled it, boxed it, and got it shipped.

After UPS dropped it off I put the TCU back in its home and buttoned everything back up. Driving my beast so gently, to make sure all seemed well, the first thing I noticed is the control of the gear selection. When I told the car to shift, it shifted. I could go as far as keep 5th gear down to 1200rpm/32mph. This I particularly like, as I am always finding my self going over 40 to have it stay in 5th, and many of the roads are 40 limit..

After affirming the car was good to drive I put my foot down and instantly knew I made the right choice. The torque converter goes from regulating to locking SO much faster, ensuring that all of the power is in fact making it to the wheels as the car accelerates. When you let off the gas the TC tends to also stay engaged much longer, giving the feel the car is really in a gear like a manual would be.

All in all, the car should have been programed like this from the factory, best mod for the money that you can actually notice, and makes a big difference. If you are thinking about it, do it, if you're not thinking about it, start to.

$125?!?!?! That is a freaking dealio!!!!

DHall1
February 27th, 2010, 05:56
Ben,

Do it! I sent mine today.

$125?!?!?! That is a freaking dealio!!!!

ben916
February 27th, 2010, 06:01
Ben,

Totally has to be on the down low as the wife need not be aware of this information.... :)
What does this do for my after market warranty??

DHall1
February 27th, 2010, 06:04
It should be fine. Nobody ever looks for a chip in the transmission ecu. My opinion....I am doing it.

Problem is your car is down for a week and what will you tell the wife?

ben916
February 27th, 2010, 06:12
It should be fine. Nobody ever looks for a chip in the transmission ecu. My opinion....I am doing it.

Problem is your car is down for a week and what will you tell the wife?

yes that is the dilemma....

V8weight
February 27th, 2010, 06:16
yes that is the dilemma....
Hmm, waiting on that special order brake pad clip..............

DHall1
February 27th, 2010, 07:06
Oh yeah,

And walk to work for a week.

ben916
February 27th, 2010, 07:14
Oh yeah,

And walk to work for a week.

nope, got that covered! 2000 Nissan P/U...

DHall1
February 27th, 2010, 07:16
get er done

p3u
February 27th, 2010, 09:18
Over night shipping for both ways is the way to do it, ended up being $225 really with that in mind.

LIRS6
March 1st, 2010, 19:56
The torque converter goes from regulating to locking SO much faster, ensuring that all of the power is in fact making it to the wheels as the car accelerates. When you let off the gas the TC tends to also stay engaged much longer, giving the feel the car is really in a gear like a manual would be.

How does that impact the life expectancy of the TC - is that harder on it, or does it not make a difference? Also, as you have a vag-com, does the chip show up on vag-com?

TozoM8
March 2nd, 2010, 00:14
It will increase your TC's life.

V8weight
March 2nd, 2010, 03:48
Ben,

Have you gotten yours back yet?

vangelis
March 2nd, 2010, 04:09
Sent mine yesterday :)

V8weight
March 2nd, 2010, 04:15
Sent mine yesterday :)
I thought your car was at MTM? They couldn't do it there?

DHall1
March 2nd, 2010, 04:35
Later this week. I sent mine 2 day out and 2 day back.

Have you gotten yours back yet?

p3u
March 2nd, 2010, 05:09
Later this week. I sent mine 2 day out and 2 day back.

Where did you send your TCU off to for the program?

vangelis
March 2nd, 2010, 05:15
Good question, actually they qouted me a very high price, they told that is the cost where MTM in Germany gave to them!! Anyway I choosed the easier way to save the time and money as well.

I thought your car was at MTM? They couldn't do it there?

V8weight
March 2nd, 2010, 06:06
Good question, actually they qouted me a very high price, they told hat is the cost where MTM in Germany gave to them!! Anyway I choosed the easier way to save the time and money as well.
I see. I cannot believe what you guys pay for parts and services over there. Ouch.

vangelis
March 2nd, 2010, 06:49
I see. I cannot believe what you guys pay for parts and services over there. Ouch.

They qouted me $2180 USD for MTM ECU/ TCU flash.

ttrs6
March 2nd, 2010, 15:34
First thing i will do once I drop my car in MTM tomorrow, so will ship it to Hoppen Motorsport tomorrow itself. Local MTM dealer in Dubai gave a very high quote (Very weird)!!. I'm going anyway to drop my car at MTM Dubai tomorrow for Timing & V belts job, engine mounts, IC check, TC & Valve Body will be sent to IPT for upgrade, getting the Master Rebuild Kit (seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, friction clutches and reaction plates) from IPT to rebuild the Trans locally here, returen to 365mm brake setup. Still thinking to do KW v3 installation, 20" RS6 C6 wheels at the same time also. Big job,HUH! Wish me luck.
how much is ipt chargeing for the vaulve body,tc and why are you going back to 365mm brakes did you not like the 390mm?

DHall1
March 2nd, 2010, 15:51
he is not sending to IPT. Read the thread.

I asked Tozo to post up some of his prices and what gets done because we keep coming around to his services.

390 brake pieces were lost.

p3u
March 3rd, 2010, 03:09
Dhall, who did you find to do your tip chip?

DHall1
March 3rd, 2010, 03:49
MTM

I dont argue with proven results. Just about everything else but not proven results. When I get taxed thru the nose while city bus drivers earn 160k/yr to sit on their a$$. I get cranky. Dont mind me I have a RS6 and E55 out in the front garage.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/im_with_shit_head_tshirt-p235710280.jpg?t=1267587542

p3u
March 3rd, 2010, 08:23
I'm confused by your post, anyways I know you got the MTM chip I just meant where did you get yours.

650RS
March 3rd, 2010, 09:17
Guys,

Just letting you know that VAST offer a custom tip program for our cars, they can make it shift as fast/firm as you like if you take them the car.

They will be setting mine up to allow me to run the standard MTM for normal driving and by flipping a switch while the car is off I can select what I can the RACE map.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps

Shoppinit
March 3rd, 2010, 16:11
Now I really want to do this. I wonder if they'll do mine if I ship it from the UK.

Brav
March 3rd, 2010, 19:16
Great to know, thanks!

dahbo
March 4th, 2010, 14:34

(Sorry if i seem ignorant here but where did you get this done? )

Roger
March 5th, 2010, 02:48
where do you guys recommend getting it done?

DHall1
March 5th, 2010, 02:53
Hoppen motorsports in FL

where do you guys recommend getting it done?

Beastly
March 5th, 2010, 18:34
PSA: Hoppen current out of "chips" will have more next week

DHall1
March 5th, 2010, 18:46
I guess we caused a run on the market

p3u
March 5th, 2010, 22:02
Hoppen motorsports in FL

Glad to hear you've seen the light! Hoppen is a good place with good people.

DHall1
March 5th, 2010, 23:40
There is no light to see.

Shops make mistakes and they correct them or die. I know thats what you were digging for and I gave Hoppen the thumbs up for this TCU service. They are the only game in town.

Glad to hear you've seen the light! Hoppen is a good place with good people.

p3u
March 6th, 2010, 01:02
There is no light to see.

Shops make mistakes and they correct them or die. I know thats what you were digging for and I gave Hoppen the thumbs up for this TCU service. They are the only game in town.

I actually was thinking you found a different dealer and was curious to who it was. How you like it so far?

Elevens
March 6th, 2010, 04:53
Well fellows , I went up to Hoppen Motorsports today and got my ECU and TCU done for a $1279 special. You talk about a beast, this thing is now a Monster. The torque is incredible. I have never been shoved into a seat so hard before. Maybe there's better out there but this certainly satisfies my need for speed. I dealt with his brother Mike Hoppen, a very nice fellow. Who did all the work right in front of me. A very nice job, chipped both the ECU and TCU. I believe I saw the TCU's of quite a few of you guys on his work shop table. Believe me you will be pleased. I am thrilled with how the car accelerates and shifts like a true race car. My next step will be a 540hp Mod, which simply involves replacing the Fuel pressure regulator, External fuel pump and a software modification. But that's down the road. All in all a very nice experience.

p3u
March 6th, 2010, 07:31
One thing I noticed tonight, when in tip mod you can no longer use the kick down functionality when you floor it, just keeps it in gear. At first I didn't like this, but then it started making sense. Tip mode is now a true driver controlled gear change, or at least as close to it as possible!

Elevens, that is a great deal you got! Lowest price I've ever heard of for the MTM ECU and TCU.

uncfrk
March 6th, 2010, 14:43
As soon as I can get my car on the street, I'll see if it has the GIAC mod, if not, the ECU is off to Hoppen. I would sure like to add their 19 x9.5 wheels, but 39 lbs is too heavy for me.

AudiRS4ever
March 6th, 2010, 15:18
I have the external pump and regulator. Granted I have STage 2 OCT ECU and TCU, but it's worth it to do the fuel mods. Glad you like it so much.

Well fellows , I went up to Hoppen Motorsports today and got my ECU and TCU done for a $1279 special. You talk about a beast, this thing is now a Monster. The torque is incredible. I have never been shoved into a seat so hard before. Maybe there's better out there but this certainly satisfies my need for speed. I dealt with his brother Mike Hoppen, a very nice fellow. Who did all the work right in front of me. A very nice job, chipped both the ECU and TCU. I believe I saw the TCU's of quite a few of you guys on his work shop table. Believe me you will be pleased. I am thrilled with how the car accelerates and shifts like a true race car. My next step will be a 540hp Mod, which simply involves replacing the Fuel pressure regulator, External fuel pump and a software modification. But that's down the road. All in all a very nice experience.

JRS-RS6
March 6th, 2010, 23:22
uncfrk -- I got a line on some very light Sportecs in NW Iowa if weight is your only concern.

p3u
March 7th, 2010, 02:36
I have the external pump and regulator. Granted I have STage 2 OCT ECU and TCU, but it's worth it to do the fuel mods. Glad you like it so much.

Can you tell us more? Are the parts used Audi parts, or aftermarket?

Most importantly where can we buy them :)

AudiRS4ever
March 7th, 2010, 03:56
The fuel pressure regulator was done in 04 when we did all of the OCT stuff from Stratmosphere. I believe stock is 4 bar and I have a 5 bar in mine. The fuel pump came from MTM if I'm not mistaken. I think it was because Stratmosphere didn't sell them. Either way, the car pulls right to redline. Other RS6's I've driven don't do that. They pull really hard right in the middle and then start to taper off after about 5,700 rpms (all of this is observed at 6,000+ feet where we both live. Probably not as noticeable closer to sea level). I truly believe the reason mine pulls so hard to redline is the tuning, as well as the fueling. Especially where you and I live in CO. Air/Fuel is always a problem up here. Hope this helps.

p3u
March 7th, 2010, 04:45
The fuel pressure regulator was done in 04 when we did all of the OCT stuff from Stratmosphere. I believe stock is 4 bar and I have a 5 bar in mine. The fuel pump came from MTM if I'm not mistaken. I think it was because Stratmosphere didn't sell them. Either way, the car pulls right to redline. Other RS6's I've driven don't do that. They pull really hard right in the middle and then start to taper off after about 5,700 rpms (all of this is observed at 6,000+ feet where we both live. Probably not as noticeable closer to sea level). I truly believe the reason mine pulls so hard to redline is the tuning, as well as the fueling. Especially where you and I live in CO. Air/Fuel is always a problem up here. Hope this helps.

So the FPR is just an audi 5bar it sounds like, just getting the pump may be tricky. Wonder what they run for?

Does your car have kick down functionality in tip? Wondering if the lack of it is just from mtm or if oct is like that too.

uncfrk
March 7th, 2010, 12:39
uncfrk -- I got a line on some very light Sportecs in NW Iowa if weight is your only concern.

Yes, I'm interested

JRS-RS6
March 7th, 2010, 14:16
Yes, I'm interested

Hi Frank,

I replied to your PM with details and appropriate warnings addressing "if weight is your only concern". caveat emptor

AudiRS4ever
March 7th, 2010, 17:01
I believe you are correct about it being an Audi part for the FPR. The pump is tricky, but I think Mike at MTM can source one for you. I talked to him for quite a while about the tune I have and he told me that OCT is an extremely good company and their tune is usually on the conservative side, which I like for reliability. There is one thing to remember about any off-the-shelf tune like what I have. A custom tune will always be better, because it is tailored for only one car and not 100's. I got lucky with mine, because it drives the way I want, but I've ran across some owners that have OCT in their RS6's and S4's that drive exactly how I was describing earlier. Massive mid range boost and then it tapers off quickly. I would not have been happy if mine did that.
As far as the kickdown, yes mine still kicks down even in Tip mode. I would prefer it be like yours, but I'm happy enough with it I won't change it. Plus my TCU chip was closer to $1,200 back in 04 when it was done. You can definitely tell the car has a TCU chip as soon as you drive it. It tries to hold lower gears and it shifts very quickly. That might be why I've never had any transmission issues (knock on wood. I know I will). All in all, OCT has been a good company for me, but I've heard nightmare stories from others with their tuning. Luck of the Irish I guess.

So the FPR is just an audi 5bar it sounds like, just getting the pump may be tricky. Wonder what they run for?

Does your car have kick down functionality in tip? Wondering if the lack of it is just from mtm or if oct is like that too.

BenA
March 8th, 2010, 16:38
[QUOTE=AudiRS4ever;186233]I believe you are correct about it being an Audi part for the FPR. The pump is tricky, but I think Mike at MTM can source one for you. [QUOTE]

I'm in the middle of the Stage 2 (540hp) MTM tune right now as well as the TCU upgrade (I'm sure you saw my ECU and TCU on the MTM bench). I have the FPR coming from MTM and the fuel pump can be ordered here (Mike was out of them at the time but mentioned these sources):
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-044-Universal-Inline-Fuel/dp/B001CCVFBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1268065243&sr=8-1-spell
or here...
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/fuel-pumps/?itemid=20

I can't wait to get it all put back together and take it for a spin. Car is "resting" right now during the winter months (out of the snow/salt/sand), but will awaken as quite a different beast with these mods, darker powder-coated OEM rims, and some black optics.

Elevens
March 8th, 2010, 17:19
I think I did see your ECU on the bench. Because he said he was doing a 540hp mod right now. So chances are it was yours BenA. I drove the Monster back and still managed about 21mpg. Not bad considering there were a few 100+ mph spurts. I am sure you will be pleased when all is done..

shoeboxjoe
March 8th, 2010, 19:42
Anyone have the MTM TCU flash with the REVO ECU flash? I've heard REVO doesn't recommend a TCU flash? Reading these reviews makes me want to get it. It would be perfect timing since the RS6 is still hibernating.

DHall1
March 9th, 2010, 02:12
Get it.

The MTM works just fine with my Eurocharged tune.

Anyone have the MTM TCU flash with the REVO ECU flash? I've heard REVO doesn't recommend a TCU flash? Reading these reviews makes me want to get it. It would be perfect timing since the RS6 is still hibernating.

Shoppinit
March 9th, 2010, 09:27
There's no reason why the TCU wouldn't work with any chip tune. Quite the opposite. Without the TCU mod, the gearbox will hunt gears.

melsas
March 9th, 2010, 14:25
I had MTM TCU flash done first and then the REVO tune. So far, all is well.

ben916
March 12th, 2010, 22:43
Um, DAVE?!?!?!

We consumers wanna know the status of your MTM TCU????

DHall1
March 12th, 2010, 22:53
MTM TCU upgrade is a must at any level of tune.

The transmission just acts quicker. Not earth shattering but you will notice the first time you drive the car.

Shoppinit
March 16th, 2010, 14:07
Are Hoppen Motorsports known for not answering the phone / emails? I'm reluctant to send off my TCU without speaking to someone first - for all I know they could have gone out of business!

Shoppinit
March 16th, 2010, 14:32
Never mind. Spoke to a charming young lady :)

gjg
March 31st, 2010, 23:26
had this done about 80k km ago, recomeded to everyone

V8weight
April 9th, 2010, 22:30
I just got off the phone with Mike. I ordered the TCU prom itself and will be soldering it in myself when it gets here. I didn't want to deal with the downtime of sending my TCU to him. I'll let you know how it goes.

ben916
April 9th, 2010, 23:20
I just got off the phone with Mike. I ordered the TCU prom itself and will be soldering it in myself when it gets here. I didn't want to deal with the downtime of sending my TCU to him. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds like a nice DIY!

I can wrangle myself a soldering iron a bit... 9000 Amps DC @ 440 Volts might be a little overkill, but HEY! What the hell?!

V8weight
April 9th, 2010, 23:27
Sounds like a nice DIY!

I can wrangle myself a soldering iron a bit... 9000 Amps DC @ 440 Volts might be a little overkill, but HEY! What the hell?!
LOL, I think I'll just skip the soldering iron and throw the circuit board in the microwave to soften up the solder joints. Should be pretty simple.

JRS-RS6
April 9th, 2010, 23:30
You could use the blow torch on it. What is the ETA on the chip?

V8weight
April 10th, 2010, 00:28
You could use the blow torch on it. What is the ETA on the chip?

Should be here on Wednesday.

JRS-RS6
April 10th, 2010, 13:32
Sounds good I am gone again next week to Ft. Collins, CO and back late Friday night. I just sent you the VAG Procedure I mentioned yesterday.

V8weight
April 16th, 2010, 00:13
Oh shit, this is going to be harder than I thought.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/173.jpg

ben916
April 16th, 2010, 00:50
Do you know how they, MTM, installs this?

It can't possibly be each individual lead soldiered at a time, could it??

Or do they have a template that you apply soldier paste on your TCU, then place Chip, then heat it in an 450-500 degree oven for 15 minutes...???

O/T
I was once the "wave soldier guy" at an electronics card sweat shop off of Miramar. I was the other white guy, the VP was the other one.
I took the job as it seemed interesting but they failed to let me know that there was ZERO health insurance.
Not the information that you let slip your mind when heated liquid metal tends to pop and splatter...

TozoM8
April 16th, 2010, 03:15
Oh shit, this is going to be harder than I thought.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/173.jpg
I would have someone solder in a chip socket, then you can shap them later.

V8weight
April 16th, 2010, 03:15
Do you know how they, MTM, installs this?

It can't possibly be each individual lead soldiered at a time, could it??

Or do they have a template that you apply soldier paste on your TCU, then place Chip, then heat it in an 450-500 degree oven for 15 minutes...???

O/T
I was once the "wave soldier guy" at an electronics card sweat shop off of Miramar. I was the other white guy, the VP was the other one.
I took the job as it seemed interesting but they failed to let me know that there was ZERO health insurance.
Not the information that you let slip your mind when heated liquid metal tends to pop and splatter...
Wave soldier? Like a Navy Seal? Yeah, per Mike Hoppen, each one is soldered individually. He says that he uses a heat gun to remove the E-Prom, then uses a de-soldering braid to clean up the contact pads, then solders the new prom into place one leg at a time. I know that they make soldering gun attachments just for the purpose of heating multiple legs of a chip, but I'll be damned if I can find one.

ben916
April 16th, 2010, 06:46
ok ok, more than half my edits are for spelling....

They look like a 1 inch wide comb that you attach to the solder tip and or replace the tip...

V8weight
April 18th, 2010, 04:31
Nothing to it. It actually only took about a half hour to remove the TCU, remove the existing prom, and solder in the new one. Kyle, hint hint..... You should get one of these in your hands before May 1st.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/006-11.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/007-11.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/009-6.jpg

snoopra
April 18th, 2010, 04:43
How much for just the chip?

V8weight
April 18th, 2010, 04:52
How much for just the chip?
Still the same price, $125. I just didn't want to pay to overnight my TCU both ways and have the car down for three days.

snoopra
April 18th, 2010, 04:59
OK, makes sense. Looking @ the board reminded me of my old days, repairing PS2's, Nintendo's.. and.... ehem..tweakin 'em!
Did you use a grounding lead(for static)?

V8weight
April 18th, 2010, 05:09
Did you use a grounding lead(for static)?
Naw, I just wet my socks down :) Honestly I didn't even think of that, I thought that was more of a concern when micro relays were involved.

snoopra
April 18th, 2010, 05:26
Should be OK, you didn't drag your feet or scratch anything:) before starting, right?

ben916
April 18th, 2010, 08:32
what happens after May 1st?

4everRS
April 19th, 2010, 03:52
Hmmm. Well then, I may just have to do that. Pat, I have to admit. When I saw the first pic you posted, I mumbled to myself 'ha - no way'. You must be damn good with the solder gun. I apologize for doubting.

Ben, I am heading to Pat's on May 1st to get a new hall sensor installed after cars and coffee. It is now likely that I'll be having hoppen send me a chip first!!

leo qach
December 19th, 2010, 15:18
Is there any chance to buy this chip ONLINE?

V8weight
December 19th, 2010, 15:39
Is there any chance to buy this chip ONLINE?
Yes, you'll just have to shoot MTM an email and tell them you would like the tcu E-PROM, if you want just the chip.

YANORS6
April 5th, 2011, 09:36
Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread because I just bought a RS6. A couple quick questions. Is Hoppen motorsports still around and selling the mtm tcu chips for $125? Also, without doing any real research is the TCU on the passenger side front seat under the carpet?

Thanks.

kevin
April 5th, 2011, 12:18
Yes and yes. BTW, welcome to the fold!

as350
April 5th, 2011, 12:55
This is going to be my next mod as well.

2TURBOV8
April 6th, 2011, 03:50
Can you use the MTM TCU chip if you already have the APR ECU tune?

V8weight
April 6th, 2011, 03:57
Can you use the MTM TCU chip if you already have the APR ECU tune?
Yes, I put an MTM tcu chip in Kyles APR tuned car.

hahnmgh63
April 6th, 2011, 03:57
You can use the MTM chip with the APR tune but doesn't the APR tune come with a TCU chip too? I would just stick with the APR TCU chip as it was probably designed in conjunction with their ECU chip? Any feedback from other APR users?

V8weight
April 6th, 2011, 04:01
You can use the MTM chip with the APR tune but doesn't the APR tune come with a TCU chip too? I would just stick with the APR TCU chip as it was probably designed in conjunction with their ECU chip? Any feedback from other APR users?
I agree with this. The only reason we put the MTM chip in Kyles car is because we neither of us knew it had the APR software. It was immediately apparent that it already had a tcu chip when I cracked it open, but with no way to identify the tuner, we went ahead with soldering in the MTM E-PROM.

2TURBOV8
April 6th, 2011, 04:03
I'm pretty positive the APR tune is just the ECU. Someone please let me know if I am wrong.

4everRS
April 6th, 2011, 04:05
Ya, I have the MTM TCU and APR ECU chips. I had the APR chip in the TCU and before I knew about the APR tune on the car (long story), I had Pat solder in the MTM chip. I think that it made a slight difference. The shifts seemed a little crisper, and in sport mode, it holds the RPM's a lot more than the APR chip. This is my "feeling" of it. I have no way to prove these claims, just what it felt like.

JSRS6
April 6th, 2011, 04:05
I'm pretty positive the APR tune is just the ECU. Someone please let me know if I am wrong.

For your car, or in general?

The APR RS6 ECU Upgrade also includes new programming for the transmission computer in the car, raising the shift points by 200rpm.

4everRS
April 6th, 2011, 04:07
I still have the APR TCU chip if anyone is interested.

2TURBOV8
April 6th, 2011, 04:11
So it sounds like you can run the MTM TCU chip in conjunction with the APR software, but is it really changing anything? Is it still worth it if you already have the APR tune? Is the MTM TCU better than the APR TCU? Opinions??

4everRS
April 6th, 2011, 04:14
^^^^^^^^So my opinion is that the MTM is better.
Ya, I have the MTM TCU and APR ECU chips. I had the APR chip in the TCU and before I knew about the APR tune on the car (long story), I had Pat solder in the MTM chip. I think that it made a slight difference. The shifts seemed a little crisper, and in sport mode, it holds the RPM's a lot more than the APR chip. This is my "feeling" of it. I have no way to prove these claims, just what it felt like.
So it sounds like you can run the MTM TCU chip in conjunction with the APR software, but is it really changing anything? Is it still worth it if you already have the APR tune? Is the MTM TCU better than the APR TCU? Opinions??

2TURBOV8
April 6th, 2011, 04:54
4everRS,
Sorry, I did read that. Just wondering what other people thought.

YANORS6
April 6th, 2011, 07:54
Yes and yes. BTW, welcome to the fold!

Thank you sir!

aussie rs6
April 6th, 2011, 18:38
I have just installed APR ECU and TCU.

The Apr TCU according to local dealer raises the shift point by ~ 200 rpm.

I have not noticed any change in the time to shift gears, particularly in the higher gears.

I am looking for a quicker shift, not a tyre chirping shift, but one that will help the torque converter clutches as current shift time is noticeable.

Fingers crossed that TC is not on the way out at only 40,000kms.

As there is not an agent in Australia that can do the MTM TCU mod, it looks like my TCU will soon be taking a trip from Perth to Florida - Hoppen Motor sport and back!

Alternatively, I did see a post on this forum where you can buy the MTM TCU chip and try your hand at soldering it in.

:addict::addict::addict:

john

SUGGESTION FOR FREE HEALTH CARE;

If you can't afford a doctor, go to an airport - you'll get a free x-ray and a breast exam,
and if you mention Al Qaeda, you'll get a free colonoscopy.

alsaab
April 20th, 2011, 21:10
Hi,

sorry for bringing up this thread with my first posting to this forum but I bought my 2004 RS6+ in september last year, so I do not have that much experience with the car, coming from a Saab and Porsche pre-2000 world. My concern as from the beginning has been the transmission. If I floor it, everything is just fine but if I'm cruising I have this splipping of 2-300 revs before the rpm are finally settling at an upshift. I also have the impression the box is regulating quite more often than I would feel it's normal (amplified now by my Milltek non-resonated it just doesn't sound right to me). But then again : I have no comparison and don't know how it should behave. Fluid has been changed at 90.000 kms by prev. owner and now by me at ZF Saarbrücken at 120.000 (oil a little dark considering the change at 90.000). No faults in the TCU. Well, finally my question : my idea was to install the MTM TCU first because of the + resonance from the forum, but also because it is supposed to limit slippage and "unclear situations". So what's your opinion ? Will I extend the life of my transmission by installing it ?

Many thanks and greetings from Luxembourg

Alain

JSRS6
April 20th, 2011, 21:38
Yes, Yes and Yes. Do it.

MaxRS6
April 20th, 2011, 22:19
^ + 1- What he said..and welcome aboard

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

JSRS6
April 20th, 2011, 22:25
^^^and what he said :hihi:

ttboost
April 20th, 2011, 22:47
Sounds like your torque converter is about to go on vacation. Mine did the same thing and I pu an ACES converter init. Finally got it on the road today. VERY pleased. Get a new TC and the MTM TCU flash and you'll be good. If you have no coeds and no CEL's, you are still in good shape. First you'll get codes and when it gets bad, you'll get the dreaded check engine light. After that, the clock ticks faster...until boom...

dtm4
October 25th, 2011, 20:50
Where i can buy this chip ? mtm dealer from russia is not answer me. They say that they company don't wont word for so low price )))

dtm4
October 25th, 2011, 20:51
Where i can buy this chip ? mtm dealer from russia is not answer me. They say that they company don't wont work for so low price )))

sorry for duplicate message

JSRS6
October 25th, 2011, 22:47
well this is who you would contact, but contact has been sporadic lately.

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/ContactUs.htm

aussie rs6
October 26th, 2011, 16:01
Where i can buy this chip ? mtm dealer from russia is not answer me. They say that they company don't wont work for so low price )))

I highly recommend the MTM tcu from hoppen sports in the US for $125.

dtm4
October 26th, 2011, 17:25
I send mail to hoppen and wait answer , i think they can ship to russia

Jimmy
October 28th, 2011, 20:07
It's $145 now for the MTM TCU upgrade , plus shipping. Jena Hoppen emailed me back after 1 day of my inquiry. Did anyone get back to you?

I can help you out dtm4 if Hoppen won't. I've just sent 500E parts to Russia this week actually !

SzymekCRX
October 30th, 2011, 06:07
It's $145 now for the MTM TCU upgrade , plus shipping. Jena Hoppen emailed me back after 1 day of my inquiry. Did anyone get back to you?

I can help you out dtm4 if Hoppen won't. I've just sent 500E parts to Russia this week actually !

Which email address was it ?

4everRS
October 30th, 2011, 17:16
Guys, I don't think the TCU's are the same beween USA and Euro. I seem to remember Pat(v8weight) having an expierence with this and not working right. I have no idea why they would be interchangeable, but maybe just ask to make sure.

EDIT: found a thread about it.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/0?p=205897

SzymekCRX
October 31st, 2011, 14:39
That's what I got from Jenna today:

"Simon,

The chip is compatible. Because we would issue a Euro Version software instead of the US Version. The US Version has a TCU of 156FL and the Euro Version has a TCU of 156FB. We would supply you with the Euro Version therefore making it compatible with your vehicle. "

Jimmy
October 31st, 2011, 15:00
Jena Hoppen mtmtuning@gmail.com<MTMTUNING@GMAIL.COM>

aussie rs6
October 31st, 2011, 19:26
That's what I got from Jenna today:

"Simon,

The chip is compatible. Because we would issue a Euro Version software instead of the US Version. The US Version has a TCU of 156FL and the Euro Version has a TCU of 156FB. We would supply you with the Euro Version therefore making it compatible with your vehicle. "

I can confirm that euro tcm 156FB is the one to use. Works great in my euro spec RS6 beast.

Jimkrell
November 2nd, 2011, 01:47
I realize that others have already said this, but the MTM TCU upgrade was sooooo worth the money. Easy to pull, mail, and reinstall, and a really nice upgrade to how the car behaves. Much crisper, yet still smooth, shifting, and works perfectly with my Eurocharged Stage 2 ECU. If you have not done this yet, do it!

Kgnast
December 8th, 2012, 16:58
Car isn't here yet from Georgia, but this will be my first mod on the replacement for my drowned 4.2. I guess first thing I'll do is check the TCU box to see if done already. Actually, the first test drive and gear shifts should alert me, however.

lswing
December 8th, 2012, 19:22
I guess first thing I'll do is check the TCU box to see if done already. Actually, the first test drive and gear shifts should alert me, however.

It's actually fairly subtle. The car shifts decent to begin with, my guess is you'll be amazed by the power if she's running good. After I had the mtm tcu chip installed I did notice the slightly quicker tip shifts, and holding rpm's longer under throttle. It takes about 10 minutes to get under the passenger side front carpet to pull the box and look, there are indicators right away if it's been opened. Post up a photo when you can. Enjoy!

Razman2008
May 8th, 2013, 21:14
Okay so my first post, new to the forum, but just purchased my 2003 RS6. Reading thru the thread, not sure who is now doing the MTM TCU upgrades, or who you would recommend I send mine to. Any input would be welcome.

mrdave
May 8th, 2013, 21:53
This is one of, if not the only place that has it available right now: http://www.horchaus.com/

1uglymug
May 8th, 2013, 22:14
Do you plan to upgrade the ECU as well? If so, you might want to consider going through VIPER. Rich <rich@vipertuning.com> will do the ECU and TCU for $700. If you already have the TCU done and later want the ECU… its still $700.

It would involve the same amount of downtime and from what I can gather on here, people are just as happy with the VIPER TCU. I did the MTM TCU through Horchaus last year and I think after overnight shipping and handling costs, I paid $200.

I am currently planning my ECU upgrade, so this is just a little "hindsight" info.

Razman2008
May 8th, 2013, 23:19
Do you plan to upgrade the ECU as well? If so, you might want to consider going through VIPER. Rich <rich@vipertuning.com> will do the ECU and TCU for $700. If you already have the TCU done and later want the ECU… its still $700.

It would involve the same amount of downtime and from what I can gather on here, people are just as happy with the VIPER TCU. I did the MTM TCU through Horchaus last year and I think after overnight shipping and handling costs, I paid $200.

I am currently planning my ECU upgrade, so this is just a little "hindsight" info.

1uglymug and mrdave, thanks for the information, been doing some research and so many different opinions on ECU and TCU, which ones to go with. Lot of people say good things about Eurocharged Performance ECU with the MTM TCU. So have you decided on Viper ECU? I will check out VIPER for sure. Thanks.

ttboost
May 8th, 2013, 23:32
Where are you? EPL is another reputable tuner on the US east coast, but does remote tuning as well. You do not have to send them your ECU. I may have a TCU w/MTM for sale soon.

Razman2008
May 9th, 2013, 01:20
Where are you? EPL is another reputable tuner on the US east coast, but does remote tuning as well. You do not have to send them your ECU. I may have a TCU w/MTM for sale soon.

I live in Dallas, TX area need to update my profile. Thanks.

1uglymug
May 9th, 2013, 03:06
How much is an EPL ECU tune? Can they easily re-flash from a stage 1 tune to a stage 2 tune? This would at least make me feel like I did not waste money on the MTM TCU.

My other consideration was to not send, but order the "Viper self tuning device"… its an extra $300 (bumping cost up to a $1000), but makes it possible to tune remotely and can be re-flashed for a Stage 2 tune if (should I say when) the upgrades continue.

Razman2008
May 9th, 2013, 14:16
1uglymug, so what are your future upgrade plans on the BEAST.........

1uglymug
May 9th, 2013, 14:40
1uglymug, so what are your future upgrade plans on the BEAST.........

Right now, I am saying wheels and ECU stage 1 tune and I am done. We will see.

Just to clarify, I don't mean to discouraged you (or anyone) from the MTM TCU. I do like it. My comments are directed at efficiency.

Razman2008
May 9th, 2013, 15:24
Thanks, its good to get different views on stuff, especially since these cars are so different, from anything I have had in the past. And I don't feel like blowing up my transmission, my wife is not happy I am buying a 10 year old car to begin with.

ttboost
May 9th, 2013, 15:37
Your transmission will blow up just parked in your garage...

mbagge01
May 30th, 2013, 00:27
I just got my car back from the Indy after have a remanufactured transmission installed and I was wondering if there is any reprogramming of the tcu when a new transmission is installed. I am wondering if my mtm tcu software is still there or is there a way for me to check with vagcom.

ttboost
May 30th, 2013, 00:36
The MTM chip is soldered into the TCU. They never should have touched the TCU. You can probably only tell by driving it.

lswing
May 30th, 2013, 01:28
What he ^ said...my car drove great when i got it back. Trans will take a bit to break in, double check your fluid level too.

mbagge01
May 30th, 2013, 06:06
my shop wants me to bring back the car at 1000 miles to check the fluid level and for codes. Any other advice in regards to a break in period, as far as when I can really push the car to wot, or should I drive carefully for a while.

DHall1
May 30th, 2013, 06:28
Well that is not a good sign. The first 5000 dollar trans bill and you'll we sleeping in the 10yr old car.

Converter can go at any moment.

Thanks, its good to get different views on stuff, especially since these cars are so different, from anything I have had in the past. And I don't feel like blowing up my transmission, my wife is not happy I am buying a 10 year old car to begin with.

ttboost
May 30th, 2013, 11:17
Well that is not a good sign. The first 5000 dollar trans bill and you'll we sleeping in the 10yr old car.

Converter can go at any moment.

Yep..see post #133

lswing
May 30th, 2013, 18:30
my shop wants me to bring back the car at 1000 miles to check the fluid level and for codes. Any other advice in regards to a break in period, as far as when I can really push the car to wot, or should I drive carefully for a while.

I took it easy on the trans for the first few hundred miles. I could tell the clutches were very tight, and they smoothed out after 3-400 miles. Personally, I'd recommend getting your own scanner, Ross-Tech.com. And I'm hoping you have a new(er) TC in there also? I took a preventative measure and not only checked fluid at 7-800 miles, but also drained it all and put fresh in, along with new filter. $500 of preventative care on an $5k trans makes sense to me. There was a decent bit of fresh clutch powder, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I also brought my car back in after 100 miles or so to top off the fluid, simply paranoid, and it takes less than an hour to get up on the lift and top it off...low fluid = cooked trans. Another reason to drive easy until it's looked at again...

Also, you could hit WOT at any time, just don't SHIFT at WOT...

G2
August 11th, 2013, 09:51
:p
You lug the motor at 32 mph in 5th gear? I never get out of 3rd in the city.. never use 5th till over 70mph..

No reason to rev with all the torque, unless needed. Sure that's not a RS4 that's shifting into OD at 70mph+?

With the GIAC tcu, trained the trans to short shift into 5 at 40mph, now a year later, will self shift into 5th at about 36-38mph. No lugging whatsoever.
Always autoshifted into 5th by about 60mph on light throttle.

Lost in time here......and didn't own said RS6 until last year--

ttboost
August 11th, 2013, 14:01
Turns out my MTM TCU is back. Anyone wants it, let me know and we can work it out. I will need your stock TCU + cash in trade.

DST
August 12th, 2013, 08:28
Turns out my MTM TCU is back. Anyone wants it, let me know and we can work it out. I will need your stock TCU + cash in trade.

PM'd you.

audiprotn
August 12th, 2013, 14:23
Ok, a little bit offtopic.
My car sometimes would shift into 5th at 40-43mph.
After I'd drive it in manual mode for a bit, it would start shifting at higher rpms, then, sometime after would go back to shifting super early.
I always thought something was wrong with it.

Now reading G2s post, makes me wonder if I actually got the tcu chip as well I stalled

lswing
August 12th, 2013, 17:31
Even the stock TCU is adaptive, and has that early shifting habit unless trained by driving differently...

The MTM chip keeps my shift points a bit higher, but the car feels so sluggish cruising in 5th at 40 something that I can't resist staying in tip most of the time.

Kgnast
August 12th, 2013, 17:40

PM'ed you too. Shoot me an email/text/phone call/etc 646-522-1814, etc.

ttboost
August 13th, 2013, 01:37
SOLD!!!! (or traded actually). Thank you all for the PM's. Rather than reply to all 15 PM's...I'm just being rude and lazy...and just posting here. Thanks again guys.

Kgnast
August 13th, 2013, 16:41
And the slippery slope has begun. Thanks Mike. I'm glad I got in touch with you by phone. Stereo, Rims and Tints do not count as mods in my book. Next on the list of goodies... EC tune, W/M, exhaust cutouts, in that order.

SensoRS6
October 17th, 2013, 02:55
Where can I get the TCU tune done? Anywhere in Florida?

hahnmgh63
October 17th, 2013, 03:15
Check with Hoppen motorsports down in Sarasota, Florida. If not I think in N.A. the only other place is up in Canada: http://www.horchaus.com/index.html

10SecS4
October 17th, 2013, 03:37
Just FYI, Hoppen went out of business a little ways back.

SensoRS6
October 17th, 2013, 13:58
Just FYI, Hoppen went out of business a little ways back.
Well that sucks. Any other thoughts on how to get this done? I can't even find it on the MTM Website, and I cant image how long it would take to send it there and back.

lswing
October 17th, 2013, 15:26
Well that sucks. Any other thoughts on how to get this done? I can't even find it on the MTM Website, and I cant image how long it would take to send it there and back.

The link above to MTM Montreal? There are others that do Tcu tunes, Viper maybe?

SensoRS6
October 17th, 2013, 15:32
The link above to MTM Montreal? There are others that do Tcu tunes, Viper maybe?

Yep, nothing for transmission.

lswing
October 17th, 2013, 15:52
Yep, nothing for transmission.

You call them? They've updated a few Tcu's last year. This...gearbox on its own though.

500 HP 368 kW Modified MTM-motronic computer with improved max. torque about 690 Nm and Vmax about 300 km/h incl Gearbox-programming for sporty comfortably shifting MRS6450500QX Amount of work about 2 Std.

10SecS4
October 17th, 2013, 18:24
The MTM website shows Prestige Imports in Miami as a US Dealer. Maybe they took Hoppen's spot as MTM dealer in FL when Hoppen when out of business? I'd give them a shout but don't pay more than $100-$150 for it as that's all it cost at Hoppen. Also, keep in mind that contrary to popular belief this modification does NOT reduce shift times at WOT.

Prestige Imports
Jakob Guggenthaler
14780 Biscayne Boulevard
33181 North Miami Beach Florida
US - U.S.A. Phone: +1 30 54 23 90 09
Fax: +1 78 62 74 19 97
jakob@prestigeimports.com
www.prestigeimports.com

SensoRS6
October 17th, 2013, 18:30
The MTM website shows Prestige Imports in Miami as a US Dealer. Maybe they took Hoppen's spot as MTM dealer in FL when Hoppen when out of business? I'd give them a shout but don't pay more than $100-$150 for it as that's all it cost at Hoppen. Also, keep in mind that contrary to popular belief this modification does NOT reduce shift times at WOT.

Prestige Imports
Jakob Guggenthaler
14780 Biscayne Boulevard
33181 North Miami Beach Florida
US - U.S.A. Phone: +1 30 54 23 90 09
Fax: +1 78 62 74 19 97
jakob@prestigeimports.com
www.prestigeimports.com (http://www.prestigeimports.com)

I emailed Jakob just now, thanks!

SensoRS6
October 18th, 2013, 14:22
I have spoken to Jakob at Prestige. He has stated they can source the chip, but has no one to install (solder). He also said he could send it to Germany and have them install. I find that strange, since they are the NA MTM Dealer. I have asked to just have the chip sent to me and I can install, we shall see if thats a possibility.

ttboost
October 18th, 2013, 15:17
I have spoken to Jakob at Prestige. He has stated they can source the chip, but has no one to install (solder). He also said he could send it to Germany and have them install. I find that strange, since they are the NA MTM Dealer. I have asked to just have the chip sent to me and I can install, we shall see if thats a possibility.

That's what I did when I bought mine from Hoppen. They sent me the chip, I had my tuner solder it in...

kevin
October 18th, 2013, 16:17
I have a MTM TCU for sale. $100 plus shipping.

SensoRS6
October 18th, 2013, 16:32

I like where this is going...

10SecS4
October 18th, 2013, 17:18
Unless you're experienced with surface mount soldering, you won't be able to install the chip yourself. It's not plug and play; the stock EPROM has to be desoldered and then the MTM has to be soldered.

I would jump all over Kevin's offer of $100 for his MTM TCU. That is an amazing deal.

lswing
October 18th, 2013, 18:12
Unless you're experienced with surface mount soldering, you won't be able to install the chip yourself. It's not plug and play; the stock EPROM has to be desoldered and then the MTM has to be soldered.

I would jump all over Kevin's offer of $100 for his MTM TCU. That is an amazing deal.

Yep, my mechanic had done lots of soldering, put a chip in a few years ago and nothing, ended up toasting the TCU, always wondered if it was a bad chip because the work looked clean...although I've heard of a handful of folks having success when they are good at it....$100 is a steal if it's TCU also!

LIRS6
October 18th, 2013, 18:21
PM sent to you

SensoRS6
October 18th, 2013, 18:47

PM already sent, hoping to have it shipped today.

SensoRS6
October 22nd, 2013, 14:13
So where is this TCU located? How do I install?

kevin
October 22nd, 2013, 15:25
It's under the passenger side front carpeting. You'll need to pull up the plastic threshold and related kick panel then the carpet.

ttboost
October 22nd, 2013, 17:06
yep..then get the cover off the enclosure, unscrew the bracket, unplug the TCU and pull it out...15 minute job if you have small hands...

mik15
June 10th, 2014, 06:30
does anyone know if Hoppen Garage is still alive? i am trying to get a hold of them and seems there is no way, i want to have my TCU done too...thanks.

hahnmgh63
June 10th, 2014, 10:16
No luck with Hoppen anymore. This is the new place everyone on the board has been using as of late, up in Canada.
http://www.horchaus.com/index.html

stubro
April 13th, 2015, 14:37
I reached out to horchaus and sounds like they are still sell the TCU but I have a question. They say I need to find a surface mount solder person. What did you guys do?

lswing
April 13th, 2015, 17:24
I reached out to horchaus and sounds like they are still sell the TCU but I have a question. They say I need to find a surface mount solder person. What did you guys do?

Find a shop that is VERY good at soldering. You could also send it to Viper UK, I think they just flash the current chip?

http://audirssix.com/index.php/owning/ecu-and-tcu

stubro
April 13th, 2015, 17:55
Thanks I will see if I can find a good Solder person here in Tampa. Still kicking myself that I didnt do it with Hoppen when they did it down in Sarasota. I can solder but not sure I trust myself to do this.

lswing
April 13th, 2015, 19:20
Thanks I will see if I can find a good Solder person here in Tampa. Still kicking myself that I didnt do it with Hoppen when they did it down in Sarasota. I can solder but not sure I trust myself to do this.

Yep, as mentioned on my website it can wreck the TCU if something goes wrong. I had an experienced mechanic who had soldered at least 20-30 megasquirt systems, plenty of other stuff, and it still turned out bad. It looked fine to me, so we assumed the chip I was sent was blank/bad and that's why it didn't work.

stubro
April 13th, 2015, 21:28
i have a friend who works at a large, very large, electronics company here who said np he could get it done. These guys do board for Tulsa, Apple, big auto. So cross your fingers.

lswing
April 13th, 2015, 21:46
i have a friend who works at a large, very large, electronics company here who said np he could get it done. These guys do board for Tulsa, Apple, big auto. So cross your fingers.

Good deal, you should be set. It's just small and the pins are close, for me at least; almost all at a shop or at home seem to have gone well. The solder looked perfect after mine was done, so I think it was random.

ScottW
April 14th, 2015, 05:00

Can you post the link or pm where to get this done?

cgc154
September 9th, 2015, 16:59
Does anyone have an update on where to get the MTM TCU chip from? I've called Horchaus, the Canadian distributor mentioned in this thread now that Hoppen doesn't exist anymore, but haven't been able to reach anyone. Is there a decent alternative TCU flash/chip if the MTM isn't available stateside anymore?

makaveli42
September 9th, 2015, 19:01
Does anyone have an update on where to get the MTM TCU chip from? I've called Horchaus, the Canadian distributor mentioned in this thread now that Hoppen doesn't exist anymore, but haven't been able to reach anyone. Is there a decent alternative TCU flash/chip if the MTM isn't available stateside anymore?

Daz at vagautowerks.com does TCU chips. I'm happy with mine. Switched to him from my Viper chip since I'm going with his tune as well.

hes local, east coast I believe. Email him thru his website and he can hook you up if you can't find a MTM one.

lswing
September 9th, 2015, 19:13
034 is another shop that has upped their RS6 game for both TCU and ECU.

http://store.034motorsport.com/blog/c5-audi-rs6-tuning-tiptronic-performance-software-tip-chip/

cgc154
September 10th, 2015, 00:53
Do you see any issue in having different "brands" for the ECU and TCU tunes? I've got the GIAC tune for the ECU, I assume it won't have any adverse effect on the TCU tune.

lswing
September 10th, 2015, 01:14
Do you see any issue in having different "brands" for the ECU and TCU tunes? I've got the GIAC tune for the ECU, I assume it won't have any adverse effect on the TCU tune.

Nope, they are separate. I run a Revo ECU tune managed by Unitronic with the MTM TCU chip, now tell me that isn't screwed up:) And it flies!

Your only adverse affect will be running that GIAC tune, get that off of your car...cue Dave. I'd log data to make sure you're not running lean, varies by version of the tune.

cgc154
September 11th, 2015, 18:38
Yeah I've heard the stories about the GIAC tune. My VAG-COM just arrived in the mail this week, so as soon as I figured out how to log data I'll be double checking the tune. I bought the car with it on there but the previous owner shelled out $2000 for it in April of 2012. Not sure what version it is. I haven't done much research into other ECU tunes but if it costs that much to reflash a different tune, I'd rather make sure it's not running lean and keep it in before jumping ship to another tune. Granted, if it is running badly I'll switch for sure as I don't want to grenade the engine.

makaveli42
September 11th, 2015, 22:28
Yeah I've heard the stories about the GIAC tune. My VAG-COM just arrived in the mail this week, so as soon as I figured out how to log data I'll be double checking the tune. I bought the car with it on there but the previous owner shelled out $2000 for it in April of 2012. Not sure what version it is. I haven't done much research into other ECU tunes but if it costs that much to reflash a different tune, I'd rather make sure it's not running lean and keep it in before jumping ship to another tune. Granted, if it is running badly I'll switch for sure as I don't want to grenade the engine.

I I hope he didn't pay $2k for the tune. Lol. Wayyyyy over priced.

cgc154
September 11th, 2015, 22:35
I can show you the paperwork! $2k tune, $90 for labor to flash it.

Update: I've gotten responses from both Horchaus in Canada and MTM USA down in florida via email.

MTM USA: jakob@mtm-online.us
Horchaus: info@horchaus.com

Horchaus can send the chip for 175 CAD (~$132 USD), but I will need to find a soldering technician to install it. MTM USA hasn't quoted a price yet, but they have inferred I could send the TCU to them for soldering.

For reference, the 034 TCU tune is $450, vagautowerks is $350.

makaveli42
September 12th, 2015, 00:11

Update: I've gotten responses from both Horchaus in Canada and MTM USA down in florida via email.

Horchaus can send the chip for 175 CAD (~$132 USD), but I will need to find a soldering technician to install it. MTM USA hasn't quoted a price yet, but they have inferred I could send the TCU to them for soldering.

i got vagautowerks TCU last weeks we just finished the street tuning late last night. I went from 5.8 second from 2500rpm in third gear to 4.9 seconds. It shifts smooth and feels better than what I have. It's hard to tell the difference between everyone's TCU in my opinion...

lswing
September 12th, 2015, 00:26
i got vagautowerks TCU last weeks we just finished the street tuning late last night. I went from 5.8 second from 2500rpm in third gear to 4.9 seconds. It shifts smooth and feels better than what I have. It's hard to tell the difference between everyone's TCU in my opinion...

Say what? What are those times relating to? But yes, I'd say it's a small difference with TCU tunes.

Get the MTM if you can, just don't fry your TCU soldering it in.

DHall1
September 12th, 2015, 04:08
Did someone say GIAC?

Just move along. There is nothing to see here.

I know nothing but the facts. Just the facts jack. Requested boost and requested a/f targets. And you see the results below. I could not save this one as I took ownership too late but it all worked out.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/giacchip_zps29e59f6a.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/giaccyl_zps28f50dda.jpg

Nope, they are separate. I run a Revo ECU tune managed by Unitronic with the MTM TCU chip, now tell me that isn't screwed up:) And it flies!

Your only adverse affect will be running that GIAC tune, get that off of your car...cue Dave. I'd log data to make sure you're not running lean, varies by version of the tune.

makaveli42
September 12th, 2015, 15:02
Say what? What are those times relating to? But yes, I'd say it's a small difference with TCU tunes.

Get the MTM if you can, just don't fry your TCU soldering it in.

sorry, I mean 2500rpm to redline. My old power band was all over the place on the graphs. Going to the drag strip this Wednesday and possibly dyno the day after that to see the difference from my old to new.

lswing
September 12th, 2015, 15:20
sorry, I mean 2500rpm to redline. My old power band was all over the place on the graphs. Going to the drag strip this Wednesday and possibly dyno the day after that to see the difference from my old to new.

So you're talking ECU power tune then. A trans shifting tune on your TCU won't affect power, just crisps up and moves shift points. Maybe the unplug and reset of your system is clearing codes that were slowing you down, and should come back if issues aren't resolved.

cgc154
September 12th, 2015, 17:18
yeaaahhhhh so priorities just shifted to do this ASAP to make sure my top end doesn't look like that ever...I should log blocks 3, 31, and 115, from what I've found on this site, but not sure what those will give me. Just got my VAGCOM this past week, so I've only plugged it into make sure it works.

Out of curiosity, why does only that one cylinder/valve face look so shitty in your blown engine? The one to the left looks unphased. If the tune was running so lean as to cause detonation, wouldn't all of the cylinders look like that?

Did someone say GIAC?

Just move along. There is nothing to see here.

I know nothing but the facts. Just the facts jack. Requested boost and requested a/f targets. And you see the results below. I could not save this one as I took ownership too late but it all worked out.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/giacchip_zps29e59f6a.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/giaccyl_zps28f50dda.jpg

cgc154
September 12th, 2015, 20:05
Another update: just purchased a used TCU + MTM chip from u/alrightroad. Didn't want to bother with sending out my tcu to get the chip soldered, so now I'll have a stock TCU as a backup. I'll let you know what it's like when I put it in!

lbp
December 27th, 2016, 18:20
Looks like a good upgrade, but I cannot find MTM USA anywhere.
- Are they still in business?
Does anyone have their contact info?
Thanks in advance.

lswing
December 27th, 2016, 19:52
Looks like a good upgrade, but I cannot find MTM USA anywhere.
- Are they still in business?
Does anyone have their contact info?
Thanks in advance.

Basically not found anymore. Last MTM dealer was in Ontario or Montreal, some silly talking Poutine eating city north of here...kidding...mostly.

It's a flash of the chip, then solder new chip into TCU for the process, located in passenger footwell. Also a reason to keep sunroof and cowl drains clear!

034 Motorsports makes a TCU tune, and there are some smaller shops, maybe AMD or EPL that can do the tune. Helps to tighten up shifting a bit.

Use Google to search this site for info..."site:rs6.com TCU tune" something like that. Go back then forward with your browser if you run into spam links from Google.

Welcome to the site!

Aronis
December 27th, 2016, 20:20
http://www.horchaus.com

http://www.horchaus.com/Price%20Lists%20Web%20Site/RS6%204.2L%20331%20kW%20(450%20PS)%20quattro.htm

"Gearbox-programming for sporty comfortably shifting"

the TCU chip is not listed but still included in the 500 hp version.....so you can still get it.

Mike

lbp
December 27th, 2016, 20:46
Nice, thanks.
Come to think of it though I should probably check with Level 10.
I believe they might have done a trans flash when they rebuilt the transmission a few years ago.

agent5150
January 6th, 2017, 15:30

Is there another contact email/phone # for MTM US? Not getting any response from jakob@mtm-online.us

lbp
January 6th, 2017, 16:04
Is there another contact email/phone # for MTM US? Not getting any response from jakob@mtm-online.us

I too recently reached out to MTM USA asking about their status.
- Although I did not communicate further, the jakob@mtm-online.us address is the exact one I got back to my response.
So to be fair they do seem to be in business, however, I think the days are gone as compared to when Joe Hoppen was in the MTM wheelhouse.
Back around 2001 I spoke with Joe (now deceased) on numerous occasions about my Bi-Turbo S4 and ended up getting an excellent 350hp tune for that car.
The car is long gone but I am wondering what type of development is going on at MTM these days with Joe gone, too.

agent5150
January 6th, 2017, 20:56
I too recently reached out to MTM USA asking about their status.
- Although I did not communicate further, the jakob@mtm-online.us address is the exact one I got back to my response.
So to be fair they do seem to be in business, however, I think the days are gone as compared to when Joe Hoppen was in the MTM wheelhouse.
Back around 2001 I spoke with Joe (now deceased) on numerous occasions about my Bi-Turbo S4 and ended up getting an excellent 350hp tune for that car.
The car is long gone but I am wondering what type of development is going on at MTM these days with Joe gone, too.

I just wanted to see if they can chip my TCU, if not then I will have to go 034 way.

JettaGLi16v
July 7th, 2018, 19:20
Bringing this thread back from the dead.
I just got off the phone with Jose at MTM USA.
They are based in Miami.

He said they do still offer the ECU and TCU tunes, but they must ship it to Germany and back, to the tune of a 2 week lead time.

He also requested my VIN number so he can get a current list of parts still in production. Nice enough guy, though, picking up the phone on a Saturday afternoon.

If anybody wants it,
305-423-9009
Jose@MTM-USA.com

DHall1
July 8th, 2018, 02:15
We had few choices back in the day.

Fast forward and we see who is left supporting this platform with current product offerings.

034 gets my vote for ECU and TCU tunes.

.02c

Cmnair
July 8th, 2018, 02:53
They will need stock ECU to flash right? Anyone try EPL?

Ebtahi98
March 12th, 2021, 18:47
I know this is an extremely old thread but please can anyone help me find where I can get this MTMTCU tune for the $125 someone spent I’ll happily pay extra I just need it ASAP any help would be greatly appreciated

lswing
March 12th, 2021, 20:45
I know this is an extremely old thread but please can anyone help me find where I can get this MTMTCU tune for the $125 someone spent I’ll happily pay extra I just need it ASAP any help would be greatly appreciated

That was just for the chip itself, you still had to solder it into your TCU and risk frying your TCU. There are some other companies offering TCU tunes now, believe they can flash it if you send it in. TCU is fairly easy to access, in the passenger footwell under the carpet.

Ebtahi98
March 13th, 2021, 14:22
That was just for the chip itself, you still had to solder it into your TCU and risk frying your TCU. There are some other companies offering TCU tunes now, believe they can flash it if you send it in. TCU is fairly easy to access, in the passenger footwell under the carpet.
Das ist nein na gut das ist Scheiße!!! / that really sucks! Meh! I would’ve love to solder that Chip on TCU! Back in the early 2000s I used to do well let’s say I used to do digital odometer calibrations so I am very well-versed when it comes to modules in cars especially BMWs and jaguars because modules also needed to be addressed when you were adjusting / LOL / after reading that thread I went to 034 motorsports and saw that it’s well approximately $1000 so let’s see $125/ V-s A thousand dollars I love progress ;( ...T. (thanks for the information by the way it was an interesting read) - I am going to look around to see if I could find this chip I’m pretty sure and bit torrent I can possibly find something like this.

lswing
March 13th, 2021, 17:18
You must be looking at the ECU/TCU package, $450 for just the TCU. Also Nubcake on here does a tune I think, maybe others. I run the MTM, and similar to the other ones I’m sure it’s nice to tighten up the shifts a bit. What really does it is upgrading the valve body pressure some to really snap the clutches, can be a bit jerky at times.

https://store.034motorsport.com/c5-audi-rs6-4-2t-tip-chip-performance-tiptronic-transmission-tuning-tcu-software-upgrade.html

Ebtahi98
March 13th, 2021, 18:27
You must be looking at the ECU/TCU package, $450 for just the TCU. Also Nubcake on here does a tune I think, maybe others. I run the MTM, and similar to the other ones I’m sure it’s nice to tighten up the shifts a bit. What really does it is upgrading the valve body pressure some to really snap the clutches, can be a bit jerky at times.

https://store.034motorsport.com/c5-audi-rs6-4-2t-tip-chip-performance-tiptronic-transmission-tuning-tcu-software-upgrade.html
I think I’m just gonna go with 034 motorsport the chip and the tune package I’m actually looking for something a little more aggressive but that sounds pretty good do you guys have any better recommendations? Any and all information is very very welcome ��

nubcake
March 13th, 2021, 20:09
You can find the MTM file online for free if you do some looking around.
Might want to check nefmoto forums. It's kinda buried in there though.

The chip itself is a 512kb AM29F400BB PSOP44.
I'm sure that's enough info to get you set up if you have prior experience with electronics.

Ebtahi98
March 14th, 2021, 03:39
Info appreciated thank you

Muggy
March 15th, 2021, 23:06
I'll have a tuned TCU available shortly...that, paired with a nubcake tune is incredible!

Ebtahi98
March 16th, 2021, 00:11
I'll have a tuned TCU available shortly...that, paired with a nubcake tune is incredible!
PM me and elaborate/ I’m very Intrested! Thanks

Muggy
March 16th, 2021, 09:54
PM me and elaborate/ I’m very Intrested! Thanks

Sent you a PM...:incar: