PDA

View Full Version : Forged pistons and connecting rods for the '6?

650RS
February 24th, 2010, 10:03
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get these off the shelf or are they custom?

I know the sizes are common to the A6 and S8 engine.

Cheers

V8weight
February 24th, 2010, 15:38
I thought the RS6 already had a forged rotating assembly?

4everRS
February 25th, 2010, 03:07
I would assume a forged assembly. Mostly due to above average compression with boost. Does anyone have a high res photo of the rods or crank? Pretty easy to tell if its forged by looking at the casting marks. If they are narrow casting marks - around 1/4 inch or less - not forged. Casting marks around 3/4 to an inch or so - forged.

650RS
February 25th, 2010, 05:04
Pretty sure they dont, see the attahed image.

p3u
February 25th, 2010, 05:41
I thought I read somewhere that they are just cast, not forged.

terrytcl
February 25th, 2010, 16:09
if you want forged, JE pistons and crower rods will build you custom on offs. expensive, but your option.

i think eagle foged products will also build you custom parts.

eurotunedrs6
February 25th, 2010, 21:11
well I dont know if the length of the rods and so and so, but 034 motorsports has some for the Audi v8. http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_64&products_id=546 Like I said I dont know the real differences between the rods from our car to that one, but I thought I would post it anyways. Some of those V8s have been built like mad, so could be interesting. I was gonna PM the guys from 034 on audizine about the rods, but since Im not looking to do a build anytime soon I figured I wont bother and leave it for those that want to dig deeper.

4everRS
February 25th, 2010, 23:05
Pretty sure they dont, see the attahed image.
This is not enough evidence to show forged or not. We need to see a casting marks. They are usually at the bottom of the cap for the rod and at the top of the journal (hidden by the piston skirt) of the other end. Inside the skirt of the piston will show the casting marks for the pistons. The out side skirt and top of the piston are machined and do not show casting marks. The crank counter weights will also show the casting marks and they are the easiest to tell if forged or not.