PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I can trust my mechanic.....Long story but I need some help

eurotunedrs6
February 22nd, 2010, 23:19
Well, I've been taking my car to this same shop since I had my first car. I'm young, but its been almost 10 years. Sadly the person who I used to deal with left a few years ago, and I'm dealing with new people. My S4 never had any issues so I didnt have to worry about it, and my A4 I did all the work on myself with the help of a close family friend who does jobs out of his garage for fun.

Anyways, now that I got the RS6 I decided to bring it to the shop for the 65k service (I know it's really just an oil change but I want it on the books for warranty purposes). All went good and after taxes it was $141, but they had some interesting notes. First, they said the drive belts needs replacement since the belt is cracking($255 job). Second, they said Oil is leaking either from either the valve cover gasket or the cam chain tensioner seals....$98 to inspect and I'm sure spendy to do work.

Normally this would seem ok, BUT I had a pre purchase inspection(PPI) done on my car before I bought it from Carousel Audi less than 1000 miles ago. The inspectionlooks for many things on teh vehicle but more related to my post it checks for leaks under the vehicle, and even specifically the drive belt for any damage. Well, the PPI said the drivebelt is fine, and didn't list anything about any leaks at all. This makes me think the shop is trying to rip me off, so I decided to go under the car myself and check it out. The belts from what I can see look perfect, and there are no signs of leaks anywhere. Mind you the space is tight under the vehicle so space to see is limited.....but it seems to me the shop saw my temporary tags and thought I didnt know squat about the car. What do you think? Is there an easier way to check for the so called leak besides under the vehicle? That's all they would have seen doing the oil change. My car was there no longer than 1.5-2 hours so I know they didnt pull anything apart....I want some opinions before I call this shop out.

DHall1
February 22nd, 2010, 23:26
IMHO any RS6 with over 50k will start to show some oil seepage from any number of areas. And the serp belt.....those too can show some signs of cracking on the rib side.

Simply ask. How bad were the cracks and how severe is the oil leak. Then determine if they are trying to break your arm or not. Could be they are just looking for work and want to point out every little thing.

BTW, the serp fan belt costs about 60 bucks at Audi and labor takes 30 minutes if your slow. Give you any idea why they want to change it?

valve cover gaskets always seep and the cam tensioner ditto. I would snug the vc bolts down and wipe everything down.

eurotunedrs6
February 22nd, 2010, 23:42
Just seems odd that the PPI didnt say anything, and first time I take it to a shop they find these items that were ok from PPI. The other 2 notes they had was a brake fluid flush and power steering flush since they didnt know when it was done last...$300. It just seems like they want to make money, but I'll call them and talk to them about it and see what they say.

DHall1
February 22nd, 2010, 23:50
My best guess is this. Audi dealer knows these seals will have alittle seepage at 65k. Thats ok. ditto for the serp belt.

Your indy could be very hungry for work....so they will throw the kitchen sink in the estimate just to make a buck.

Do I want my vc gaskets done by some local indy monkey wrench? No way brother.

eurotunedrs6
February 23rd, 2010, 00:19
Yeah, I have another top notch Indy shop I would definately take it to for that type of work...just won't be this one. The dealer mark up on parts and labor is just too high for me to pay. This other shop deals with plenty high end vehicles, particularly audi and porsche so when the big problems come up the car is going there. I trust this shop more than any other place I have found. It pays to have friends, and every local Audi enthusiast uses this place. They even post on the local forums to help out on the technical stuff. The only problem is it is 1 hour away, compared to this local place which is 5 minutes from my house. Thanks for the help though Dhall!

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 01:02
no prob

I just dont think its a big deal. Sounds like you have a good plan for these things.

Did the shop use the proper oil and Audi filter for the oil change?

eurotunedrs6
February 23rd, 2010, 03:25
Yeah, I made sure of it.

SAF
February 23rd, 2010, 03:45
Just be sure you are getting a 12/12 service warranty on the work from this other shop, which I believe is what you'll get from an Audi SC.

mmaturo
February 23rd, 2010, 18:39
Yeah, I have another top notch Indy shop I would definately take it to for that type of work...just won't be this one. The dealer mark up on parts and labor is just too high for me to pay. This other shop deals with plenty high end vehicles, particularly audi and porsche so when the big problems come up the car is going there. I trust this shop more than any other place I have found. It pays to have friends, and every local Audi enthusiast uses this place. They even post on the local forums to help out on the technical stuff. The only problem is it is 1 hour away, compared to this local place which is 5 minutes from my house. Thanks for the help though Dhall!

By the way i just want to post here that you can indeed talk your dealer down on both parts and labor. I posted elsewhere that my dealer matched my aggressive internet parts prices when i listed it all out for them (part number/price and source) and also i take them up on 10% to 15% off labor rate specials that dealers offer all the time (if you are on their email list or check their websites often). They will honor other dealer's offers too. So people try it. Just did my timing belt with waterpump for $1100 in labor and $817 in OEM parts...thats $600 or more off and within a few hundred of the independent shop (who could not match parts prices) and I have a loaner. Try it through your service advisor. I have talked them down to oil changes at $150 all in which isn't bad either with a loaner for the day...my indy is $100 but i sit there half the day.