PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed the Dice Ipod integration? Having problems.

V8weight
February 21st, 2010, 05:29
I'm trying to install the Dice electronics Ipod integration, and it sounds bad....... real bad. It's totally flat, no bass what so ever. I don't know if I've done something wrong or if the sound is just this bad. The volume isn't real impressive either. It mentions having to unplug the satellite tuner, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one. It would be in the trunk under the nav unit right? I'm embarrassed, I didn't plan on getting my butt kicked by this thing.

skribe
February 21st, 2010, 16:04
I diid a Blitzsafe iPhone input on my RSN-D Symphony II Bose. It sounds as good as anything could on that system, as good as native CD. $60 on eBay, offers no control, though. But what do I care, I'm stuck with RNS-D for now. :gas face:

Don't the Dice units have gain, bass, mid and treble settings natively on the breakout box? Are you running an EQ on the iPod itself?

V8weight
February 21st, 2010, 17:18
There's no settings on the module itself. The directions do warn however to have the Ipod EQ turned off or flat. At any rate I've tried every EQ setting on the Ipod to no avail. This things going back to Dice tomorrow.

DHall1
February 21st, 2010, 17:25
Sorry guys....I was never a huge fan of the RNSE but when I got the chance to see the SD card and music setup...sold. RNSE is the only way to go.

I know I know....there are none to be had and the supplier is jacking the price.

V8weight
February 21st, 2010, 17:33
Sorry guys....I was never a huge fan of the RNSE but when I got the chance to see the SD card and music setup...sold. RNSE is the only way to go.

I know I know....there are none to be had and the supplier is jacking the price.
Oh, believe me, I'd love to switch to the RNS-E, but there's no way my mathematical mind can justify the price of a house payment to have a 7 inch screen in my dash. The worst part of this is that Rachel bought me this Dice thing as a gift, so now she feels bad after watching me fail to get the thing to work and stomp around the house in frustration. Dice had no sympathy either, they knew right away that the module was bad when I called them this morning, and not even an attempt at an apology. I think I'm going to head to radio shack and build my own.

DHall1
February 21st, 2010, 17:39
If the module is bad...try another one.

Shoppinit
February 21st, 2010, 18:01
How does it connect to the head unit? Through the CD player port?

Aronis
February 21st, 2010, 18:48
Dension has excellent user support.
Log onto their website, find support, open a service ticket, they will email back to you by Monday afternoon.

I have the older version of Ice-Link (bought in 2004) and installed it via the inputs on the back of Sat Radio Modual...
Works great, great sound.

Their are some settings on the older version for line level output, but only the ipod/iphone itself has bass adjustments.

Mike

V8weight
February 21st, 2010, 22:04
Ok, problem solved. It turns out the satellite radio module has to be unplugged for the interface to work properly. I guess the current was backfeeding to the xm module and being filtered before returning to the head unit. That was the easy part, tearing the console apart and routing the wiring took at least 2 hours. At any rate, I removed the XM module all together, as I don't use the satellite radio, so I guess I'll just throw the thing on ebay. The beast just lost another 2 pounds.

ben916
February 21st, 2010, 22:17
... The beast just lost another 2 pounds.

It's faster now!!!

ZCD2.7T
February 21st, 2010, 22:21
Glad you figured it out. I've been using the DICE unit for a coupla years - couldn't live without it now:

http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63252%3Enu%3D32%3B2%3E857%3E96%3A%3E WSNRCG%3D3366943737337nu0mrj

ben916
February 21st, 2010, 22:31
Ok, problem solved. It turns out the satellite radio module has to be unplugged for the interface to work properly. I guess the current was backfeeding to the xm module and being filtered before returning to the head unit. That was the easy part, tearing the console apart and routing the wiring took at least 2 hours. At any rate, I removed the XM module all together, as I don't use the satellite radio, so I guess I'll just throw the thing on ebay. The beast just lost another 2 pounds.

OK, OK... I will bite...
Is there a DIY write up with photos coming or do we all have to fumble around for 4 hours to figure it out????

V8weight
February 22nd, 2010, 02:26
OK, OK... I will bite...
Is there a DIY write up with photos coming or do we all have to fumble around for 4 hours to figure it out????
Sorry, I didn't do a diy because I had to get it done asap, as I'm driving down to Cedar Rapids, Iowa tomorrow. If it's something you're interested in I'd gladly pull it back apart and snap some pictures and write something up when I get back. Let me know.

ben916
February 22nd, 2010, 03:12
Sorry, I didn't do a diy because I had to get it done asap, as I'm driving down to Cedar Rapids, Iowa tomorrow. If it's something you're interested in I'd gladly pull it back apart and snap some pictures and write something up when I get back. Let me know.

Yes, please!

O/T - does your odometer REALLY read 108,944?!??!

V8weight
February 22nd, 2010, 03:32
Yes, please!

O/T - does your odometer REALLY read 108,944?!??!
Nah, that's that other dude's A6 2.7tt. Mine is at 78k, still getting up there. I didn't want the clutter of one of those dash brackets, so I removed the factory jack for that corny car phone and routed the wiring up through the pocket under the armrest. It's out of sight, and when you need it it pulls out into plain view.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/006-5.jpg

ben916
February 22nd, 2010, 07:18
Nah, that's that other dude's A6 2.7tt. Mine is at 78k, still getting up there. I didn't want the clutter of one of those dash brackets, so I removed the factory jack for that corny car phone and routed the wiring up through the pocket under the armrest. It's out of sight, and when you need it it pulls out into plain view.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/006-5.jpg

Very clean!

Does it charge your iPod also? I think I read yes, but not sure.
Also, how the hell do I know if I have XM or the XM module?

If/when you get back home, photos and write up, please...

ZCD2.7T
February 22nd, 2010, 13:35
Very clean!

Does it charge your iPod also?

Yes.

My odo actually reads 117,xxx miles at this point. 70+ mile (round trip) daily commute adds up.

BLITZEN
July 1st, 2011, 22:20
QUESTION: Can I interface my iPhone to my stock BOSE stereo while keeping XM in tact?

V8weight
July 1st, 2011, 22:52
QUESTION: Can I interface my iPhone to my stock BOSE stereo while keeping XM in tact?
Yes, you just have to change some pin-outs on the interface cable...I don't know the details though. Aronis did it during his install.

Aronis
July 2nd, 2011, 03:52
Yes. I've had both working for years.

iPhone needs an interface adapter as the iPod old 12 volt pins will not charge the 5 volt setup that the iPhones use.

I got it for $6 if I recall.

Mike

kismetcapitan
August 29th, 2011, 20:01

yes, there's a special harness you need to get though.

can anyone post up pictures of radio removal? the last time I pulled an Audi radio was in the 1980s...four paperclips jammed into each corner. Is it still the same thing - four radio removal tools and then pull? And I do have to hunt down my radio code, yes?

Aronis
August 30th, 2011, 02:11
Yes, four little tools which slip into the slots on either side of the head unit. You have to carefully engage each tab to remove the radio.

The ICE LINK comes in two flavors. One with a harness to connect to the head unit (have to swap a few wires) and the other to connect to the plug which is for the REAR trunk mounted CD changer. The later comes with the long wires to get to the trunk!

I wish I took better care of all my notes. I did this modification the same week I picked up the car! LOL. I had the shorter type. I ran three wires to the trunk to hook up to the inputs on the SAT RADIO module (left, right and signal ground) while the rest was connected to the head unit. There are a few pins/wires you have to relocate in the plug for the head unit. The ICELINK then acts like a rear mounted CD changer. The internal CD changer still works, and the SAT radio still works.

Mike

ThrillHouse
August 30th, 2011, 13:21
yes, there's a special harness you need to get though.

can anyone post up pictures of radio removal? the last time I pulled an Audi radio was in the 1980s...four paperclips jammed into each corner. Is it still the same thing - four radio removal tools and then pull? And I do have to hunt down my radio code, yes?

Not positive about the code because I changed the head unit to a $30 replacement from ECS and that had the code. The code "may" be written on the radio itself or on a sticker. This video outlines the R&R process and also shows the harness that you pull - it says that if you dont have the code to only do that one plug. http://www.youtube.com/user/Enfig#p/search/0/-asduq8Dh8A

kismetcapitan
September 5th, 2011, 21:20
right, just got a complete Dension harness and am about to go in and pull the radio. I haven't been able to find that damned code, and I have complete manuals and about a hundred pages of documentation on the car - every dealer and service receipt!

Hopefully...I'll be able to insert the harness without dropping the radio or something to cause the other plug to get yanked out!

ThrillHouse
September 6th, 2011, 13:56
As a last resort you can just order the $30 one from ECS if you do lose it and can't get a dealership to give you the code for free! You do lose the SAT button though but it works