PDA

View Full Version : Parts replacement in Germany versus US

bobski
February 21st, 2010, 00:00
As a new member of the US Foreign Service, I found out I will be posted in Frankfurt by the end of the year. I am pretty sure I want to take my RS6 since the government will pay to ship it and it wants to go home and ride the autobahn. My question: Does any of the international audience here know if it is cheaper or better to have work done in Germany than the US? My RS6 needs pads and rotors and the local dealership quoted me around $2500. Can I get better more interesting equipment in Germany? Will it be much more expensive? Any reason to wait? I am not using the car at the moment. It is stored at my home back in New Mexico. Thanks.

DHall1
February 21st, 2010, 01:27
I hope you take the car and have fun on the bahn with it.

I would have all the service done here before you go but not at those prices.

Call the dealer and tell them you can get new Audi rotors for 560 dollars and ask them to match it. Then order your EBC reds for 135 and pay them a couple hundred for labor. Out the door for 900.

If the dealer wont do it....they should. Then just order the rotors yourself from genuinevwaudiparts.com and EBCs from partsbin and then take the car in to let the dealer perform labor only.

.02c 1600 dollars is 1600 dollars.

bobski
February 21st, 2010, 01:47
I will look into all of this, great.

JRS-RS6
February 21st, 2010, 01:47
This sounds like an interesting thread to me. I agree 100% with Dave on the Brakes.

Bobski -- Do you already have an aftermarket warranty on your car? If so does it cover outside of the US?

p3u
February 21st, 2010, 01:50
As a new member of the US Foreign Service, I found out I will be posted in Frankfurt by the end of the year. I am pretty sure I want to take my RS6 since the government will pay to ship it and it wants to go home and ride the autobahn. My question: Does any of the international audience here know if it is cheaper or better to have work done in Germany than the US? My RS6 needs pads and rotors and the local dealership quoted me around $2500. Can I get better more interesting equipment in Germany? Will it be much more expensive? Any reason to wait? I am not using the car at the moment. It is stored at my home back in New Mexico. Thanks.

There is Grizz not too far away for the C6 brake conversion if you're looking for bigger and better. Another option (stateside) is the JHM 2 piece rotors, they save 6.5 lbs of rotational mass and are $725 a set ( I use them and love them.)

Either way, brakes or no brakes, take the car to its motherland, and let it run free! :race: Driving on the autobahn is a dream of mine, I envy you!

ben916
February 21st, 2010, 03:11
There is Grizz not too far away for the C6 brake conversion if you're looking for bigger and better. Another option (stateside) is the JHM 2 piece rotors, they save 6.5 lbs of rotational mass and are $725 a set ( I use them and love them.)

Either way, brakes or no brakes, take the car to its motherland, and let it run free! :race: Driving on the autobahn is a dream of mine, I envy you!

Don't forget the RING! (the Nurburing)

p3u
February 21st, 2010, 03:18
Don't forget the RING!

THE RING!!! My precious! :)

snoopra
February 21st, 2010, 12:13
I think upgrades cost more in Europe. Get everthing done here before shipping her home.

SteveKen
February 22nd, 2010, 15:56
I'm not sure about labor rates, etc, but any Euro only parts are cheaper to buy over there even with the 19% VAT included.

Most of the places that go through the trouble importing E-Codes, RS6 Avant rear bumpers, etc can't make it profitable unless they mark them up a good bit.

For example, I paid around $100 euro for a black optics lower grille, which can't be had from the dealer in the US. That's comparable or even a little cheaper than the eBay price for the US spec lower grille. Of course I have connections for free shipping on a small item like this.

bobski
February 26th, 2010, 12:35
yes, I already have an after market warranty and it is not valid in Germany. This is the major heartburn I have taking the car out of the country is that I spent $4000 on the warranty and it will be invalid. Thoughts? Thanks all for the feedback and the encouragement.