PDA

View Full Version : rattle

GBG
February 20th, 2010, 03:42
Anyone ever have a rattle that sounds like two baseball bats that are stacked together and are clanking against each other? The rattle may be coming from the front of the car--not sure-- it's hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. But it reminds me of my childhood-- driving in my dad's car on the way to a little league baseball game with bat bag in the car. I only hear it when I hit a healthy bump. Thanks.

mmaturo
February 20th, 2010, 04:53
well if from the left rear its the DRC checking out. Front i'm not sure with your exact description (the metal to metal) but the bushings on everything in the front like to go (control arms, links, stabilizer bar but those are more of a clunk or shudder after a clunk. so could be the beginnings of that, but your description doesn't quite fit. Only thing that has not happened to me is the loose steering rack bolt ...which has similar symptoms.

DHall1
February 20th, 2010, 05:43
Rack mounts or control arm bushings?

V8weight
February 20th, 2010, 05:52
Rack mounts or control arm bushings?
I concur, When your upper control arm bushings get bad enough, the rubber pushes out leaving metal to metal contact between the upper control arm mount and the control arm itself. It could cause the clunk you are referring to.

GBG
February 20th, 2010, 13:29
Thanks guys

Aronis
February 20th, 2010, 15:28
I'm betting it's loose bolts on power steering rack. I had the same issue a few months ago. It was mainly rattling on the passenger side as that was the loosest side. I had been having a grown for months and asked it be checked when they did the DRC. I paid $2000 for replacement of all worn parts in the suspension figuring that would also get rid of the grown. Then it turned into a rattle and louder rattle...

Easy fix..

Two bolts are accessible from above. Remove the plastic cover just in front of windshield wipers. (Remove rubber strip, then the cover.) You can look down into the opening at the firewall where the brake master cylinder and radiator overflow tank are. The bolts are GREEN in color. They take an 11 point socket (I can't recall the size) and you'll need an offset joint with the ratchet.

The Third bolt apparently is not accessible unless you pull the engine? If you can believe that BS.

Mike

GBG
February 21st, 2010, 03:25
Thanks Mike