PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Transmission's Slipping

BLITZEN
February 19th, 2010, 07:42
My tranny is slipping between 1st gear and second. Again! Yes, this occured before and I had the whole tranny replaced just this past summer (only about 6600 miles ago). So supposedly, this is a new transmission that is now also slipping. (I only say "supposedly" because, while I trust them, the dealership that did the swap never showed me my old transmission.) :doh:

So first, I have to wonder if this is a common problem, like everyone was having with DRC. But there aren't that many threads on this site about slipping transmissions. So this isn't that common is it?

Moving on, I think, "could this be something that's resulting from a personal driving habit"? I don't ever apply power under breaking. Nor do I try to drag race in that fashion. I haven't chipped the car or done anything to enhance the stock power either. I think probably the hardest thing I do to the tranny is downshifting it sometimes. I also shift fairly frequently between 'D' and 'S'.

So what do you guys think is going on? How could I be having such bad luck with my tranny? Any suggestions? :vhmmm:

650RS
February 19th, 2010, 11:01
I would strongly suggest having it checked by a proper transmission shop, it could be a simple blockage on the 1-2 solenoids causing this problem.

Hope you get it sorted ASAP

JRS-RS6
February 19th, 2010, 14:38
If you had your tranny replaced at the dealer < 12 months or 12,000 miles ago than I would think the repair should be under warranty.

Make them fix it right this time!

Additionally, the "new" warranty should start when they are done with fixing it this time if it is replaced again.

DHall1
February 19th, 2010, 14:47
Does it feel exactly the same as before?

Can you jack your car up and see a shiny new transmission?

Did the dealer turn in a big warranty claim to ext warr or did you pay out of pocket?

If the dealer did not flush the trans cooler lines there could have been debris left....that debris could have blocked the valve body. But, the chances of blocking the same valve and have the car act exactly the same are slim to none.

That said could the dealer have pulled a fast one and just cleaned the VB and sent you on your way?

Look under and see if the trans is shiny.

Hy Octane
February 19th, 2010, 17:16
Try resetting the TCU.

TozoM8
February 19th, 2010, 22:12
I am 99% sure what your problem is. Email me for more info.

DHall1
February 19th, 2010, 22:47
lovely

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/gorilla.jpg?t=1266619529

ttboost
February 19th, 2010, 23:01
Well said...

TozoM8
February 20th, 2010, 03:27
I've seen his problem before (furthermore it's been posted here a couple of months back). His car is still under warranty so I wasn't looking for business here, but additional info via email is needed to make sure my guess is right. Sorry if I disappointed you guys.

ttboost
February 20th, 2010, 03:43
No disappointments as long as we find out the problem and resolution.

DHall1
February 20th, 2010, 05:39
I always enjoy the algorithm of the diagnosis. Its the fun of the chase. I dont have a problem with putting information out for all to see. Heck, if I am wrong its no big deal....thats how we learn. I also dont have a problem sending members to vendors that help out and share info.

BLITZEN
February 20th, 2010, 17:13
JRS-RS6: Yes, it is still under warranty. Plus, the whole car is still under CPO warranty until April 20th.

DHall1: Thanks for the good suggestions. Yes, it does feel exactly the same as before. However, it seems like it's doing it more this time. I will try to look at the tranny and see if it's shiny. But do you think it would still be after driving in winter conditions?

TozoM8: You mentioned seeing this same issue posted a couple months ago. I searched and didn't find what I think you're referring to. Would it be too much trouble to ask if you could please search your posts, find the thread and then post a link of that thread on this one?

Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it!

DHall1
February 20th, 2010, 17:18
Are the other shift points ok?

Yes, even in winter conditions...you can crawl under there and shine a flashlight up on the bellhousing and tell if its a new trans. It wil still shine up in the tunnel area.

JRS-RS6: Yes, it is still under warranty. Plus, the whole car is still under CPO warranty until April 20th.

DHall1: Thanks for the good suggestions. Yes, it does feel exactly the same as before. However, it seems like it's doing it more this time. I will try to look at the tranny and see if it's shiny. But do you think it would still be after driving in winter conditions?

TozoM8: You mentioned seeing this same issue posted a couple months ago. I searched and didn't find what I think you're referring to. Would it be too much trouble to ask if you could please search your posts, find the thread and then post a link of that thread on this one?

Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it!

BLITZEN
February 24th, 2010, 07:32
It's now at the dealership. I'll post again after it's been diagnosed. TozoM8 did know about a problematic symptom of the RS6 transmission. I don't know if this is the problem my tranny is having yet. However, I suggest to anyone else who has a car with sympoms like mine to contact him. Thanks again for all your advice and help!