PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a S8 or RS8? Details?

Kyle
September 8th, 2003, 03:03
I really fell in love with the new A8L when I saw one at the dealership a couple months ago. So much, in fact, that I plunked down $2,000 and ordered one Northern Blue Pearl Effect. I've been patiently waiting for it to arrive (the RS6 has helped pass the time) and I'm expecting it any day now.

I hadn't had any second thoughts UNTIL --I read in Car & Driver that they're expecting a S8 in 2005. Then I started thinking that maybe I should wait another year and get the hot-rod version.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this? Will there be a S8? When will it be available? What will be different about it compared to the A8L? I've only recently become an Audi fanatic, so forgive me when I ask this: What were the previous S8's like?

Bauer
September 8th, 2003, 05:15
Kyle,

Congrats on the new RS6!!!!

As for the S8 my wife and I have a 2001 and we love it. The suspension is lower and stiffer but not too stiff, the engine has 360hp (a little light now that we have an RS6). We love the car it is however a different animal then the RS6, more of a high speed luxo sedan. It does handle and break(brembo) very well for such a big car.

About a month ago my wife and I test drove a new A8L and really liked the car but it is not as sporting as our current S8 even in the sport suspension mode. Also, it feels slower the the S8 even though some magazine tests show the numbers fairly close between the two. Our lease on the S8 is up in two years and we will be getting either a new S8 or if there is word of the RS8 we would get the latter.

From what I have heard they will be sending an S8 to the states but not sure on the motor. I have heard that they may use the RS6 motor or a V10 non turbo. I would guess that the car would be a non turbo motor since it appears that the S models are non turbo now and the RS models are turbo. There is rumor of a RS8 650 to 700 twin turbo V10 but only rumor that I have heard. In my opnion that would be the one to wait for:MTM: . If Audi does make a RS8 and does ship it to the U.S. I will be driving one:incar: . If I hear of more info I will let you know.

By the way dont get me wrong the A8L is a great car its just not an S or RS which as you now know is well worth it. Also just for refrence we did also own a 97 A8.

Bauer

03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

Erik
September 8th, 2003, 09:17
The A8L is a ~15 second car to the 1/4 mile.
The RS6 is a low 13 second car.

That is a HUGE difference! :MTM:

Now all is not about power, but I certainly would wait for the S8.
Since more than 40% of the A8 sales were S-models I'm sure they'll make one. There will also be a W12 version.

Bauer
September 8th, 2003, 16:22
Erik,

Sorry I was referring to my 2001 S8 compared to the 2004 A8L. The numbers are closer on those two cars. :cheers:

Bauer

Klint
September 8th, 2003, 16:27
RS8 or at least the S8. Still the S8 wont be too much of a slouch itself. :D

:cheers:

absent
September 9th, 2003, 17:12
S8 will be coming as '05 and will be the last of the true "S" cars.
Model year '06 RS8 will be introduced and from then on only RS cars will be available.
"S" will become a new Sport/accessories option line(mostly cosmetics,no real power upgrades).
The S8 will have natural V10, btw.

Kyle
September 15th, 2003, 01:02
Well, thank you for all your input, folks. When push came to shove and I got "the call", I couldn't pass it up. I picked up the new A8L on Thursday 9/11. I picked it up in the evening and had to fly out of town the next morning. I just got back today and I couldn't wait to play with the car. I think I've explored every remote corner of the MMI system already! I do really appreciate your feedback. If they offer an RS8 in 2006 as absent predicts, I may have to give it some thought, but I can see myself being very happy for a very long time in the new A8L! :D

Bauer : Thanks for sharing your experience with the A8. After driving it around town today, I am impressed with the way the car handles in "dynamic" suspension mode. "Standard" mode does a great job of soaking up all the bumps for a super-cushy ride. I haven't really put my foot in it yet because of the break-in, but it seems to shift very early (short shift). It hits 4th gear by the time I'm doing 25-30 mph. I guess this is for fuel economy. I hope it will hold the gears a bit longer when I really hit the gas.

My only complaint so far: There doesn't seem to be any quick way to change the radio station (preset's) without using the MMI. There is a thumbwheel on the steering wheel to change the station, but you can only choose from the "dynamic list" --which is supposed to be what the car thinks I want to listen to based on my listening habits and category selections. However, none of my presets are on this list.