PDA

View Full Version : Rear Differential Slippage

vangelis
February 16th, 2010, 19:30
Hello, When i am in 5th at about 100 and put the boot into it but not kick down, just putting speed up there is sound coming from the rear differential like a slippage and causing a (DIBB) sound you can feel like its coming from rear and then it go fast normally. That not happening all the time and not if I kick it down.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it - New rear differential? can be rebuilt? dealer can fix it without buying a new total rear differential? or it is not related to rear differential at all?

Help is appreciated

DHall1
February 16th, 2010, 19:33
Are you holding speed at 100 and then press the throttle more?

If so.....torque converter

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 19:37
Hello, When i am in 5th at about 100 and put the boot into it but not kick down, just putting speed up there is sound coming from the rear differential like a slippage and causing a (DIBB) sound you can feel like its coming from rear and then it go fast normally. That not happening all the time and not if I kick it down.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it - New rear differential? can be rebuilt? dealer can fix it without buying a new total rear differential? or it is not related to rear differential at all?

Help is appreciated

Never heard of a Diff going out, but anything is possible on these cars.

It's not the TC, it would be slipping in every gear, not just 5th. The clutch pack on the other hand could be slipping as it is seperate from the other clutch packs for 5th.

How does it feel exactly when giving it full throttle vangelis? Not accelerating as fast or just making the sound?

vangelis
February 16th, 2010, 19:42

Yes, that is exactly whats happening. Is it TC? I thought the same but i can feel like if its coming from rear?!!

vangelis
February 16th, 2010, 19:44
Never heard of a Diff going out, but anything is possible on these cars.

It's not the TC, it would be slipping in every gear, not just 5th. The clutch pack on the other hand could be slipping as it is seperate from the other clutch packs for 5th.

How does it feel exactly when giving it full throttle vangelis? Not accelerating as fast or just making the sound?

Its accelerating so fast when you give it full throttle. Only happening at low speeds and when you put some speed up without kick down.

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 19:47
Its accelerating so fast when you give it full throttle. Only happening at low speeds and when you put some speed up without kick down.

So when you say accelerating you mean the speed of the vehicle or the rpms? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

If the speed is going up fast then I'm scratching my head as to what is going on, but if it is the RPM's moving faster then the car is accelerating then clutch pack D could possibly be toast.

Ask TozoM8, he knows a few things :0:

vangelis
February 16th, 2010, 19:52
So when you say accelerating you mean the speed of the vehicle or the rpms? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

If the speed is going up fast then I'm scratching my head as to what is going on, but if it is the RPM's moving faster then the car is accelerating then clutch pack D could possibly be toast.

Ask TozoM8, he knows a few things :0:

I mean when you just push it slowly and see the RPM going up first u hear that sound and then car is go fast with no problem. That also not happening all the time. It depend on the speed and how fast you push it. kick downs are okay with no sound or slippage.

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 19:56
I mean when you just push it slowly and see the RPM going up first u hear that sound and then car is go fast with no problem. That also not happening all the time. It depend on the speed and how fast you push it. kick downs are okay with no sound or slippage.

:vhmmm:

Well I'm out of ideas then. Ask TozoM8 for a far better answer then I can give.

Actually one last thing, have you checked your diff to see if its leaking?

DHall1
February 16th, 2010, 20:01
Can I say it again.

TC

Any other master minds want to chip in?

DHall1
February 16th, 2010, 20:03
Care to wager on that bet?

It's not the TC, it would be slipping in every gear, not just 5th.

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 20:03
Can I say it again.

TC

But he's not having it in any other gear then 5th, TC doesn't make sense. CLutch pack D on the other hand is just 5th and could be slipping with no other gears having issue...

DHall1
February 16th, 2010, 20:04
Let it play out and we shall see.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/snails_closeup1.gif

vangelis
February 16th, 2010, 20:05
Can I say it again.

TC

Thanks man, now i feel better, i was afraid to have a problem somewhere else, i just got the response from IPT for TC & VB upgrade, valve body cost would be $750 and the torque converter cost would be $650 plus shipping. Also the weight of each one of them as I'm thinking to ship the whole Trans to IPT for rebuild.

1) Valve body, 20lbs
2) Torque converter, 40lbs
3) Transmission, 260lbs

I hope the problem is really with the TC or the gear, nothing else :doh:

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 20:06
Let it play out and we shall see.

I hope we are both wrong, I don't want to see his tranny being rebuilt.

Tozo, care to chime in?

vangelis
February 16th, 2010, 20:08
I hope we are both wrong, I don't want to see his tranny being rebuilt.

Tozo, care to chime in?

I know I have a problem with my TC, I'm getting TC error when logging the ECU with VAG. But its still not that bad, that is why am not sure whether this problem from differential or TC.

DHall1
February 16th, 2010, 20:09
Ding ding we have a winner.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/monkey_smoking_1a.jpg

Now, how long has this been going on? You really need to stop driving the car and get ready for the repair.

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 20:12
Wouldn't be just 5th if just the TC...

vangelis
February 16th, 2010, 20:20
Ding ding we have a winner.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/monkey_smoking_1a.jpg

Now, how long has this been going on? You really need to stop driving the car and get ready for the repair.

Honestly, almost since i got the car from Audi as a CPO car. I've been trying to identfy the root cause with no luck for a year and half now. What could happen if I continue driving the car with this problem? just for my information, i'm going to rebuild my TC & VB at least end of this month if not the whole gear.

TozoM8
February 16th, 2010, 23:17
It is unlikely the rear diff, they never slip. 5th gear is clutch B, but it also applies in 4th so it would slip there too. Torque in the TC works just like the clutch in the manual tranny. If you have a clutch problem it will not slip in1st gear, but it will in 6th. The TC has way more load in 5th gear than in the lower gears. I would adjust the pressure control valve for the TC before pay all that $$ for a rebuilt. It could save you from the rebuild or at least delay it for a couple months.

MaxRS6
February 16th, 2010, 23:30
Once you have it all out of the car, would it not be worth considering doing an entire rebuild? It would certainly be more $$$ but gives a longer term solution. It would bite to put it back together after a partial rebuild, just to have some of the other parts fail and have to pull it all apart again and go through the repair process.

Be wary of IPT and document everything is all I have to say. You might want to get some type of guarantee of the turn around time (in writing) with some built in penalty for them not meeting what they tell you. I know they have told some that they would turn around a project very quickly, and then the project took months. I'd hate to see you have a long term project/repair that was not anticipated.

DHall1
February 17th, 2010, 01:14
This is post #2 just to recap.

Are we all now in agreement. It is the torque converter.

The horse is out back screaming for mercy.

DHall1
February 17th, 2010, 01:21
Now what to do.

How long have you been getting the TC code? time and miles?

Is there any warranty left?

I would say to pull the pan and inspect for clutch material and or debris. Then decide if its worth the effort and down time to just modify the valve body to apply more clutch pack pressure. (depending on the answer to how long this has been going on....this may not even be an option)

Order a new/reman Audi trans and new updated TC. (This is what I would do given your location.)

Or just pull the trans and send it to IPT or Tozo.

Honestly, almost since i got the car from Audi as a CPO car. I've been trying to identfy the root cause with no luck for a year and half now. What could happen if I continue driving the car with this problem? just for my information, i'm going to rebuild my TC & VB at least end of this month if not the whole gear.

ben916
February 17th, 2010, 04:54
The horse is out back screaming for mercy.

LOL!!!!!!:lovl:

poor horse...

vangelis
February 17th, 2010, 06:12
It is unlikely the rear diff, they never slip. 5th gear is clutch B, but it also applies in 4th so it would slip there too. Torque in the TC works just like the clutch in the manual tranny. If you have a clutch problem it will not slip in1st gear, but it will in 6th. The TC has way more load in 5th gear than in the lower gears. I would adjust the pressure control valve for the TC before pay all that $$ for a rebuilt. It could save you from the rebuild or at least delay it for a couple months.

Is that means I have to rebuild TC & Valve body or just TC?

vangelis
February 17th, 2010, 06:20
Now what to do.

How long have you been getting the TC code? time and miles?

Is there any warranty left?

I would say to pull the pan and inspect for clutch material and or debris. Then decide if its worth the effort and down time to just modify the valve body to apply more clutch pack pressure. (depending on the answer to how long this has been going on....this may not even be an option)

Order a new/reman Audi trans and new updated TC. (This is what I would do given your location.)

Or just pull the trans and send it to IPT or Tozo.

I didn't had chance to get VAG since I bought the car, only few months back and since then I've been getting that lockup error with TC. But the symptoms are the same since day 1 I have the car. So mileage I put since I got my car in 1 year and half so far is 90,000 km (too much I know) :doh::nana:. I got it last yest done 16,000Km only at the clock, now its about to complete 100,000km within next 2 weeks.

I have no warranty left. Except for the (DRC) suspension only.

Dave, what do you mean by (Order a new/reman Audi trans and new updated TC. (This is what I would do given your location.) you kidding :) , a new trans from dealer? Oh god, i hope i never go for this option,, I'm thinking of start rebuild TC &VB end of this month by IPT and then will see. Also MTM TCU will help speed up the shifts might be a good idea now.

DHall1
February 17th, 2010, 06:31
At that mileage and length of time for the code.

I expect clutch material has burnt the fluid and flushed material thru the trans.

Complete rebuild or reman from Audi.

Where do you go for service? Can they handle the engine/trans removal?

You could order the Audi trans from the dealer(work a discount) and let your indy do the work. Much faster turnaround.

Sending your trans off.....weeks...months? Can your shop allow your car to tie up a lift for that long?

That is my reason for given your location

I didn't had chance to get VAG since I bought the car, only few months back and since then I've been getting that lockup error with TC.

Dave, what do you mean by (Order a new/reman Audi trans and new updated TC. (This is what I would do given your location.) you kidding :) , a new trans from dealer? Oh god, i hope i never go for this option,, I'm thinking of start rebuild TC &VB end of this month by IPT and then will see. Also MTM TCU will help speed up the shifts might be a good idea now.

vangelis
February 17th, 2010, 09:40
At that mileage and length of time for the code.

I expect clutch material has burnt the fluid and flushed material thru the trans.

Complete rebuild or reman from Audi.

Where do you go for service? Can they handle the engine/trans removal?

You could order the Audi trans from the dealer(work a discount) and let your indy do the work. Much faster turnaround.

Sending your trans off.....weeks...months? Can your shop allow your car to tie up a lift for that long?

That is my reason for given your location

I've got a qoute from UPS for shipping the trans from Dubai to IPT (one way) around $700USD and will take a 5 days to be received by IPT in NJ. IPT need 2-3 working days, then 5 days to back here, total around 2 weeks which i can manage leave my car on jack at MTM with no problem (with no cost :cool2:). But again, not sure whether its better to try first do the rebuild for TC & VB first and see if all works fine or do a full trans rebuild once and pay $$$$$.

TozoM8
February 17th, 2010, 14:49
Is that means I have to rebuild TC & Valve body or just TC?

I would just drop the pan and adjust the pressure on the TC circuit. Email me if you want to know how.

DHall1
February 17th, 2010, 16:33
We all want to know.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/top-secret.jpg

JRS-RS6
February 17th, 2010, 19:57
Another Option:

See http://www.genuineaudiparts.com/ and under Search by Part Number or Keyword on right select Audi from Pull Down and check PN 01L-300-043-EX
New Trans $3,717.00 + $1500.00 Core Charge (you get that back when you send in your old one). Not sure about shipping.

vangelis
February 17th, 2010, 20:00
Another Option:

See http://www.genuineaudiparts.com/ and under Search by Part Number or Keyword on right select Audi from Pull Down and check PN 01L-300-043-EX
New Trans $3,717.00 + $1500.00 Core Charge (you get that back when you send in your old one). Not sure about shipping.

Thanks, that is a very good option if it really works, but is that is the correct part number for our RS6 transmission (01L-300-043-EX)??

JRS-RS6
February 17th, 2010, 22:53
I got that number from ETKA (for US). Ask your Audi dealers parts dept what number they have for it.

paul_23
February 18th, 2010, 06:21
I totally agree with Dhall as the same problem happened to me.

Vangelis - what is the fault code you are logging - give us the code to give us a clue but if it is "lock up intermittent" it means the seal inside the TC cannot hold pressure to push the lock up together so it will not lock up.
Log the TC in VAGCOM under tranmission blocks 2-7-9 and this shows you exactly what the TC is doing and if it is locking up. Clear the fault and restart slowly with low power and get into 5th and see if the TC locks up on VAGCOM - mine would - but then if you put power down the TC would then not lock and it would record a fault.

If this is the case there is no fix apart from a new or refurb TC. Engine and GB out job so minimum 20hrs labour. MTM in Dubai do it for Dhs3500 and they know what they are doing. Dont take it to Octane where mine was done as it is painful!

You ask what is the effect if left - it means the TC will never lock and always be spinning so it will wear out. The lock up clutch plates will probably be burnt out so all the crap will be floating around in the GB. This probably caused your previous problem when they had to clean your VB. I recommend that first they check the magnets and drain the ATF to see how much crap is in it - if it is fairly clear then the GB might be OK and you only need to replace the TC. If the ATF is crudded then you will probably find GB needs refurb - Dexol in Abu Dhabi/Dubai can do this but I would recommend you get the upgrade clutch pack kits from Level 10 or ITP and this will save shipping your gearbox to USA but the labour for them to strip and rebuild the GB is several thousand chips so negotiate hard! It will also be off the road for a few weeks!

vangelis
February 18th, 2010, 06:30
I totally agree with Dhall as the same problem happened to me.

Vangelis - what is the fault code you are logging - give us the code to give us a clue but if it is "lock up intermittent" it means the seal inside the TC cannot hold pressure to push the lock up together so it will not lock up.
Log the TC in VAGCOM under tranmission blocks 2-7-9 and this shows you exactly what the TC is doing and if it is locking up. Clear the fault and restart slowly with low power and get into 5th and see if the TC locks up on VAGCOM - mine would - but then if you put power down the TC would then not lock and it would record a fault.

If this is the case there is no fix apart from a new or refurb TC. Engine and GB out job so minimum 20hrs labour. MTM in Dubai do it for Dhs3500 and they know what they are doing. Dont take it to Octane where mine was done as it is painful!

You ask what is the effect if left - it means the TC will never lock and always be spinning so it will wear out. The lock up clutch plates will probably be burnt out so all the crap will be floating around in the GB. This probably caused your previous problem when they had to clean your VB. I recommend that first they check the magnets and drain the ATF to see how much crap is in it - if it is fairly clear then the GB might be OK and you only need to replace the TC. If the ATF is crudded then you will probably find GB needs refurb - Dexol in Abu Dhabi/Dubai can do this but I would recommend you get the upgrade clutch pack kits from Level 10 or ITP and this will save shipping your gearbox to USA but the labour for them to strip and rebuild the GB is several thousand chips so negotiate hard! It will also be off the road for a few weeks!

Hey Paul, good to hear from you man, and thanks a lot for your advice and comments, yes that is better, I will do this job in MTM for sure, I was there just yesterday trying to prepare the plan and whats needed for the TC job and timing belt as well. I will send TC & VB to IPT for rebuild and flush the trans and put new oil. I hope this will solve the problem. Also MTM TCU will be done during the car on the jack, MTM USA do it for $128USD only, so very good deal. I negotiated with MTM since I will do both timing belt and TC job so labour went down :0: Thanks again for ur help. Hope to meet u soon.

paul_23
February 18th, 2010, 08:04
Make sure MTM include in their price for all fluids (ATF, coolant), the seal between the ATF pump and the TC (needs a new one each time), GB filter and gasket, recharge AC with gas as I think they have to detach the AC line to the condensor, wheel alignment (as the sub frame and all suspension comes down so watch out if it affects DRC) and also keep an eye on the engine mounts as mine coincidentally failed after the engine was replaced?!?!
Also, good chance to inspect the intercoolers (get them pressure tested if suspect), and turbos as they will be off so you can see if any sign of failure - most pass some oil residue through the turbine seals.
When you do the timing belt ensure you get all the pulleys changed and also water pump and thermostat....
I have not dealt with MTM in DXB but even Dexol recommended them to drop the engine on RS6 as Dexol can't do it themselves.
Fedex gave me a good price to ship the TC to USA so check out their standard 25kg box rate as much cheaper than the others I found....but the customs forms are a real nightmare so clearly state you are not importing a car part for use in USA, just sending it for refurb. When it comes back to UAE you will probably be hit with customs duty so keep all the fedex receipts and also ensure IPT put a nominal value on the declaration.
Good luck and keep us posted.

vangelis
February 18th, 2010, 09:57
Thanks a lot Paul, very useful information and advices. Will keep you all posted.

vangelis
March 12th, 2010, 18:33
Just to update you guys, I've sent TC & VB to Tozo for upgrade. Trans send to very good local workshop for rebuild. TCU sent to MTM for remap. All items on the way back now and waiting for them to install the trans back in the beast.

vangelis
March 21st, 2010, 19:27
Got all items back (Thanks Tozo for your help) and MTM doing their work now, car should be ready by tomorrow. Can't wait to try the car after a really big job with a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ spent :((( , very excited to try the MTM TCU with almost new trans. Also KW v3 on the way, should be received and installed by next week. Will keep you updated with the outcome.

V8weight
March 21st, 2010, 20:25
Sounds like everything is coming together nicely, congrats. Should be a whole new beast.

vangelis
March 21st, 2010, 21:26
Sounds like everything is coming together nicely, congrats. Should be a whole new beast.

I hope so, specially after spending over $10K USD in this job so far :doh: